Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

to the Zombie re-education camps with ye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Original
2 and 3

everything else

I don't rank the RZ ones because they're utter gutter trash like everything else he's made that isn't Lords of Salem, would/will never rewatch so it's irrelevant, genuinely one of my least favorite directors in history

See also my Alien rankings and modern Ridley

Chris James 2 posted:

Planet of the Vampires
Alien
Aliens
Lifeforce
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

Anything below I would/will never rewatch, so it's irrelevant; Resurrection I'll only Probably never rewatch

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

STAC Goat posted:

OG
'18
Zombie II
Zombie I
II
H2O
Resurrection

This is correct and I haven't even seen 5, 6, H20 or Resurrection.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really liked H20 so I rank it higher than the abysmal sequels like 4 , 5, 6 . Its at least interesting and the ending is good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

to whoever itt recommended between two fires to me I just wanted to say thank you, this book is wicked amazing. Brutal as hell but incredibly well written, I'm really enjoying it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I will add I at least remember parts of H20 and Resurrection, even for as much hate or laughter as those parts get. The fourth one I only remember the ending, the fifth I don't remember at all

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate Kevin Williamson so I'm jaded but a big part of my problem with H2O is I can't shake the idea that JLC is just playing a grown Sydney Prescott rather than Laurie Strode. The actual stuff with her and Michael was worth it (again, before '18 did that better) but the rest of film is just too much of a slog of that era of horror for me to enjoy. And while I know I'm not gonna convert anyone to the Thorn Trilogy I enjoy Loomis' ever degrading mental state, the adherence to Carpenter's style, and I'll always love Jamie and Danielle Harris. They're also just the movies i grew up watching every Halloween on AMC Fear Fests.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

watched Lake Mungo tonight and that's a hell of a picture. was not expecting any of that going in blind. real good stuff.

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Kvlt! posted:

Literally couldnt agree more with this ranking tbh

:hfive:

Chris James 2 posted:

I will add I at least remember parts of H20 and Resurrection, even for as much hate or laughter as those parts get. The fourth one I only remember the ending, the fifth I don't remember at all

I think the most memorable part of 5 is the hayloft scene, in which it suddenly becomes a goofy comedy complete with sound effects, and there are puppies, for some reason? It also includes the wonderful Wendy Kaplan as Tina :allears:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Kvlt! posted:

to the Zombie re-education camps with ye!

Ahem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

gey muckle mowser posted:

watch them all, most aren’t that good but then you can participate in the thread’s bimonthly Halloween ranking derail

Lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

anyone who doesnt rank RZ's as the top two is a traitor to their god, their country, and humankind as a whole

I think god sucks, America is not great right now and humans are kinda poo poo so

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

god sucks, America has never been great and humans are really poo poo so

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But at least beer is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a new god in town and his name is psycho goreman

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
1 and Z1 on equal footing
‘18
Z2
H20
4/5/6 are interchangeable
Resurrection

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I really liked H20 so I rank it higher than the abysmal sequels like 4 , 5, 6 . Its at least interesting and the ending is good.

Yeah definitely. I had a good theater experience when I saw H20 and that positively shades my opinions of it too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Halloween ratings:

H20
4/5 (tied)
Rez

Rob Zombie's greatest contribution to a John Carpenter remake is the song he did for Escape From LA. I shall not sully my list with his movies.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think the Zombie Halloweens are just fine, I’m a radical centrist. I don’t super like how they work so hard to explain Michael’s motivations or how hulking he is but I do like the violence and the Malcolm McDowell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I'd consider swapping '18 and ZII (and I've only seen '18 once so it could drop) and 3, Zombie I, and II could all flip depending on my mood.

Yea that's pretty much where I'm at with the Halloween series, aside from the OG Halloween being #1 a lot of the others could shift around depending on my mood. Sometimes I just want to watch Zombies Halloweens and none of the others are going to be a good substitute for that. Other times I want something as similar to the original as possible so I want Halloween II. And Halloween 3 is probably the most important to my October viewing each year because it's just so good at putting me in the Halloween mood. Even sometimes I'll watch Halloween 4 and think "hmmm this is actually better than I remember" and it seems like it should be ranked higher.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://youtu.be/oefSFWjyoj0

The gas station scene in Halloween 4 is really good.

Crappy mask though.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 27, 2021

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Halloween III is the best three.

With apologies to Army of Darkness, Exorcist III, and Friday the 13th III.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

graventy posted:

Halloween III is the best three.

With apologies to Army of Darkness, Exorcist III, and Friday the 13th III.

I still think Elm Street 3 takes this, but I respect your opinion :hmmyes:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Day of the Dead is probably in contention for best horror Part III.

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009
I rewatched a lot of the Halloweens recently and my fave timeline is honestly 1,2 and H20. I loved ‘18 in the cinema, and its super-stylish and a lot of fun, but super-broken Laurie is kind of a bummer and its a bit narratively clunky getting everyone where they need to be.

H20 is a little embarrassingly 90’s in places and the masks are whack, but the film is much more streamlined and I think it works better than ‘18 as a continuation of the first. H20 Michael feels like ‘78 Michael, whereas in ‘18 he’s got that Rob Zombie, Jason Voorhees brutality aspect to him.

Like the Nightmares or the Fridays, whats fun about these movies is the fact that there is no one perfect film in each franchise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ozebane posted:

I rewatched a lot of the Halloweens recently and my fave timeline is honestly 1,2 and H20. I loved ‘18 in the cinema, and its super-stylish and a lot of fun, but super-broken Laurie is kind of a bummer and its a bit narratively clunky getting everyone where they need to be.

H20 is a little embarrassingly 90’s in places and the masks are whack, but the film is much more streamlined and I think it works better than ‘18 as a continuation of the first. H20 Michael feels like ‘78 Michael, whereas in ‘18 he’s got that Rob Zombie, Jason Voorhees brutality aspect to him.

Like the Nightmares or the Fridays, whats fun about these movies is the fact that there is no one perfect film in each franchise.

I'd argue that part 1 and part 3 are perfect films.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

3 From Hell > Halloween 3

Dream Warriors is best part 3 tho. Ty Dokken.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol no on 3 from hell being better than Halloween 3

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween 3 is a classic that’s finally getting the love it deserves. It’s the second best Halloween film next to Trick r Treat.

3rd best is Halloween at Aunt Ethels

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I adore Halloween III but it's definitely not a perfect film.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Exorcist 3
Saw 3
Halloween 3
Day of the Dead
Army of Darkness
The Purge: Election Year
Nightmare on Elm Street Dream Warriors

wide gap

Friday the 13th 3D

wider gap

Hostel Part 3
The Human Centipede 3

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hostel Part 3 is borderline unwatchable

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dream Warriors is definitely the best part 3 in that it's the best one of its series.

Also H20 gets a huge horror fan bump for the scene with Vivian Legh and the iconic car and Hermann's score creeping in.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont even consider Hostel 3 part of the franchise its so bad

Human Centipede 3 is equally bad. But after 2 that series really had nowhere left to go.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
HALLOWEEN FILMS

Halloween
Halloween 2018
Rob Zombie's Halloween II
Halloween II
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Halloween: H2O
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Meyers
Halloween Resurrection
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Meyers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Meyers
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Meyers (Theatrical)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Halloween rankings

RZII
RZI
29 Needles
Halloweentown
Satan's Little Helper

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009
Shout-out to Halloween 6’s complete inscrutability. Michael’s evil because of a cult! No, wait they’re scientists? Pretending to be a cult? Something something cloning? That sure was a satisfying conclusion to the Michael Myers saga.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween films

Trick r treat
Halloween 3
Halloween at aunt ethels
Hocus pocus

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ozebane posted:

Shout-out to Halloween 6’s complete inscrutability. Michael’s evil because of a cult! No, wait they’re scientists? Pretending to be a cult? Something something cloning? That sure was a satisfying conclusion to the Michael Myers saga.

Yeah Resurrection was poo poo but it at least had the first cinematic instance of Michael speaking (oooooooohhh) and Busta Rhymes doing martial arts and then killing Michael by electrocuting his dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtHlJOnk-WA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Halloween films

Trick r treat
Halloween 3
Halloween at aunt ethels
Hocus pocus

My wife and I went to a friends for a horror movie night on Halloween and I walked in to a bunch of posers debating between goosebumps and hocus pocus - and I will never recover from that.

Side note: Has anyone seen iconic terrible bdsm horror movie blood gnome?