Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Kicking off over at Red Hill:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...07944c5047ceb31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Wasn't Walters supposed to be the solution for all of these problems? It's hilarious that they're still blaming Bennett whenever they can.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nolan getting hosed off is a good start. Now we only need to sack the entire board, everyone else in the support and management except for Donaghy and Walters, and then most of the team, then we'll be ready to start rebuilding.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Just love watching a team that isn't mine imploding for once

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Just love watching a team that isn't mine imploding for once
Indeed

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ili posted:

Nolan getting hosed off is a good start. Now we only need to sack the entire board, everyone else in the support and management except for Donaghy and Walters, and then most of the team, then we'll be ready to start rebuilding.

Agreed. Having 12 players on the chopping block is probably a good start tbh. At least there looks like a glut of young 2nd rowers and outside backs coming through.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jesus. That is a qld team I suppose.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully they don't do a Jarrod Mullen to Reece Walsh and kill the kids confidence for life

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eh, all year people have been going on about if a players ready hes ready.

If anything hopefully this inspires the forwards to actually play this time around.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Guess who's returning to the Warriors?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Dogs broke covid rules, thread title may need changing.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
The whole eligbility thing with Ronaldo is such a clusterfuck only the NRL could manage. And now they're packing 50000 QLDers into a stadium the same day they've confirmed community COVID transmission in Brisbane - ayiyiyi

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

The whole eligbility thing with Ronaldo is such a clusterfuck only the NRL could manage. And now they're packing 50000 QLDers into a stadium the same day they've confirmed community COVID transmission in Brisbane - ayiyiyi

Without investigating it at all I'm guessing the paperwork from the NRL just says "I confirm that I meet all the eligibility criteria" and the QRL/Ronaldo just signed it without a second thought.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

happy rugby league

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
good to see a loitering call

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Origin being a bit of a non starter this year kind of sucks. Might have been a different story with a completely healthy QLD team from game one - instead of having guys rushed in under cooked and then in game two having to throw out the game plan at the last minute but its a shame the games haven't been competitive.

I know I'm a qld fan so I'm going to be bias but still. I'd rather see a proper contest win lose or draw than a blow out on either side.

Hopefully a full strength spine of Grant, DCE, Munster and Ponga can be together for game three.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't give a flying gently caress about balanced games. Last year Queensland showed that with a vaguely trained team they could compete and win, even with "worse" players in most positions. This year they've been insipid. Everyone looks like they've given up ten minutes in, and at no point was I really concerned about the famed QUEENSLANDER spirit kicking in. All this with two home games. After fifteen years of the maroons being an unstoppable nightmare it's hilarious watching the wheels having fallen off so far they're already in Sydney and everyone turning on everyone else at every opportunity.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1411382412437774336?s=21

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Finally managed to watch Origin II and :hmbol: the Maroons just cannot compete this year.

Thinking about it from a selection standpoint though, it seems that NSW just has the better players these days, much like QLD did 10 years ago. Who else was fit and eligible that wasn’t selected for the Maroons? I’m struggling to think of one.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Finally managed to watch Origin II and :hmbol: the Maroons just cannot compete this year.

Thinking about it from a selection standpoint though, it seems that NSW just has the better players these days, much like QLD did 10 years ago. Who else was fit and eligible that wasn’t selected for the Maroons? I’m struggling to think of one.

They really don't have anyone. It was evident last year, but NSW completely poo poo the bed. This year the Blues played to their actual capability and nobody could compete. Add that to selection disasters like picking Capewell out of position and expecting him to be able to stop turbo and you've got a recipe for a flogging.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Paul Vaughn's retiring from the sport to bring back Noel's House Party as a revamped show.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

They really don't have anyone. It was evident last year, but NSW completely poo poo the bed. This year the Blues played to their actual capability and nobody could compete. Add that to selection disasters like picking Capewell out of position and expecting him to be able to stop turbo and you've got a recipe for a flogging.

Should league fans be worried that Origin might be headed for a decade plus of Blues dominance? Or even cease to be truly competitive for the foreseeable future? Because that would suck. I didn’t get up at 5:30AM to watch a 26-0 shellacking.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

Should league fans be worried that Origin might be headed for a decade plus of Blues dominance? Or even cease to be truly competitive for the foreseeable future? Because that would suck. I didn’t get up at 5:30AM to watch a 26-0 shellacking.

No, not really.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Whew now I can sleep again at night.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, the Blues are the masters of loving up and letting Queensland win when all common sense dictates that they should easily roll them.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Won't be too long until NSW get high from huffing their own farts and hilariously implode again.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
NSW eventually got their poo poo together after inexplicably selecting Pearce and other similar wastes of space for a decade. It won't take long for Queensland to turn things around. People seem to have forgotten that before they won eight in a row, people were saying Origin was dead because Queensland was so uncompetitive.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Ah, well, I didn’t follow League until 2011 and I could only watch Super League for a couple of years since there wasn’t any (legal) way that I knew of to get NRL matches on demand here in the US.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

NSW eventually got their poo poo together after inexplicably selecting Pearce and other similar wastes of space for a decade. It won't take long for Queensland to turn things around. People seem to have forgotten that before they won eight in a row, people were saying Origin was dead because Queensland was so uncompetitive.

I definitely don't think NSW is going to go on a dynastic decade, but Queensland seem to be in a very Blues-esque state with a few older players who wildly swing in quality throughout matches, a couple of superstars who can't keep the team motivated, and a bunch of random players coming and going who don't seem to have any origin quality. While NSW definitely is capable of making GBS threads the bed and the Maroons could certainly stabilise quickly they really look comfortable and stable and that's exactly how Queensland felt to me throughout the streak.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Qld are just in that flux where a lot of their emerging talent is undercooked and there's a few guys they were hoping could keep their form from years past who haven't.

In a couple of years Grant, Walker, Walsh, Munster, Ponga will be playing together and there's a glut of 2nd row and forward talent that's under the age of 22 just beginning to make their name in the nrl.

Qld also didn't exactly come in with a full strength squad this year. It's probably not a good enough team to defeat a fully firing blues squad but there are starters on the sideline and a number of guys were racing the clock to even play and were underdone in the lead up.

There were for sure some dumb selections but qld have the players if healthy and playing to snatch some series here and there.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Plus Paul Green is a poo poo coach.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
My money is on a Blue dynasty. Trbojwheelbarrow, Latrell Mitchell, Addo-Carr and Tedesco all reasonably young (iirc) and very dangerous every time they touch the ball.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Thanks for turning up ready to play finals footy Canberra, really just perfect timing after a season of slack-arsed performances.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
HAHA LOL

Of course the one year I buy tickets for the RLWC and plan to bring my family, this poo poo happens.

I for one think it's an incredibly lame conspiracy by the Johnson government to get England ANY international sport trophy after their Euro Soccer meltdown.

edit: and I also think it's going to backfire and see Tonga win their first RLWC title!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
They can keep it, and keep whatever else you got floating around the Covid Isles. Also thus far Aussie NRL players seem incapable of following any covid rules, so best to keep them at home too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
“You” I’m American my dude. This was going to be my chance to see my favorite NRL players and also Nathan Cleary play.

Oh well, at least we have travel insurance.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hows this gonna work with all the NRL players who play for Tonga etc?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Apollodorus posted:

“You” I’m American my dude. This was going to be my chance to see my favorite NRL players and also Nathan Cleary play.

Oh well, at least we have travel insurance.

Sorry to hear bud.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

footy players are the dumbest people on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Hows this gonna work with all the NRL players who play for Tonga etc?

Technically they can still make their own way over, it's just the ARL and NZRL that won't be sending teams. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players withdraw because of the added time and money it'll take to travel- it isn't a sure thing that the IRL or national teams will pay for quarantine etc. Right now Tonga's rugby union team is in NZ and they're struggling to field a squad because they expected a lot of the players to pay their own way to NZ. They're scrounging around club teams trying to find eligible players because players are injured or having to go back to day jobs.

I look forward to the poms trying to run a tournament so they can declare themselves world champions only to lose to a random Pacific Island team.