Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
The FAA has released its the TRUST test (The Recreational UAS Safety Test) that's part of the new requirements to fly a drone now days. You can take it online from any of the approved sites. I used the AMA's website thinking they might have the resources to make it work without ending in an Internal Server Error at some point. I was only partially correct, as that only happened once during the 50 page, 30 seconds-of-loading-per-page class/test.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/knowledge_test_updates/

True or False, hot shot! A RECREATIONAL FLYER SHOULD BE AWARE THAT SOME MEDICATIONS CAN AFFECT THEIR ABILITY TO FLY SAFELY.
False. A recreational flyer should not be aware that some medications won't affect their ability to fly safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
was literally hassled by a pair of local cops this morning for flying my drone above a local beach. told me even one single complaint would lead to a disorderly conduct charge. could they have demanded a test completion certificate?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If I am selling my old Phantom, do I have to go to FAA site to cancel my registration?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

was literally hassled by a pair of local cops this morning for flying my drone above a local beach. told me even one single complaint would lead to a disorderly conduct charge. could they have demanded a test completion certificate?

Looks like that's going to be the rule.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of FAA tests.. I just signed up for my part 107 and it seemed harder than I expect the actual test to be, it required 2 different logins (1 more FAA login that is different than than the drone zone one, and one the a testing site one). Then I needed to know the name of the test is different than what almost anyone has ever called it (unmanned air general - small) is weird, then I had to cross reference anther government pdf to see if I needed a testing score validation / authorization. THEN I could finally find a testing site and schedule a test 100 miles away because there's no testing site around the large international airport I live near. Instead I can drive 78 miles one direction, or 97 miles the other direction (PSI test site without test fee).

I feel like if I show up and have the right test selected and my ID matches etc they just pass me or gimme 10 pts?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

If I am selling my old Phantom, do I have to go to FAA site to cancel my registration?

iirc the old registration system for non-huge uas is a pilot registration, not individual vehicle. so you just need to remove your ID number from the aircraft

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

CapnBry posted:

The FAA has released its the TRUST test (The Recreational UAS Safety Test) that's part of the new requirements to fly a drone now days. You can take it online from any of the approved sites. I used the AMA's website thinking they might have the resources to make it work without ending in an Internal Server Error at some point. I was only partially correct, as that only happened once during the 50 page, 30 seconds-of-loading-per-page class/test.

ty for reminding me to do this

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Corky Romanovsky posted:

iirc the old registration system for non-huge uas is a pilot registration, not individual vehicle. so you just need to remove your ID number from the aircraft

Thank you.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

CapnBry posted:

True or False, hot shot! A RECREATIONAL FLYER SHOULD BE AWARE THAT SOME MEDICATIONS CAN AFFECT THEIR ABILITY TO FLY SAFELY.
False. A recreational flyer should not be aware that some medications won't affect their ability to fly safely.

Thanks for the link! Just completed mine. For anyone worried about it I didn't read a single page of their information and passed with flying colors just from knowledge from this thread. You can even answer a question wrong and the system says "Whoopsie! Try again little buddy"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
rate mode is fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJtl4X0zqM

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Almost finished my first build

Frame: QAV-S JB Edition
FC: Mamba F722 Basic Mk3
ESC: Mamba F50_BL32
VTX: Rushtank Solo
Motors: Emax ECO II 1700kv
Camera: RushCam Phoenix 2

Dry weight is 375g

Got a R-XSR TX, but it's gonna get replaced immediately as soon as my ELRS kit arrives.

...Now I just need to find a decent place to fly it.

TastyShrimpPlatter fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 30, 2021

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

Almost finished my first build
That's some sweet stuff right there and some of the parts I'd use too if I were going to build a new 6S. The Rush Solo is a beast of a VTX, and I've had my eye on the original QAV-S, but I think the JB version is better due to the single plate design.

Also, ExpressLRS is pretty sweet if we can just get 1.0 out the door to start cranking out new features. Hope you got one of the ESP-based RX (EP1/EP2) because we got some great features coming down the line for those. (I'm one of the devs)

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
That's awesome. I got the HappyModel TX/RX EP1 kit, which actually just arrived, so I'm gonna get that sucker wired up tonight.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
I done this a few months ago, I don't really know about it tbh. I find most drone landscape vids on youtube intensely boring no matter how incredible the landscape so tried to do something a bit different. Need a bit more practice and another attempt to get it super smooth but uh...the farmer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVZA0XaY9Ew

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Cool shot and good editing!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Furious George posted:

I done this a few months ago, I don't really know about it tbh. I find most drone landscape vids on youtube intensely boring no matter how incredible the landscape so tried to do something a bit different. Need a bit more practice and another attempt to get it super smooth but uh...the farmer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVZA0XaY9Ew

That is really cool and good!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What’s the recommended drone insurance? I have a Mini now and I’m very invested in it’s survival/replacement.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Reporting with my cheapo Insta go setup. Also got a beginner FPV kit ordered on Banggood to get my feet wet, donno when will it arrive.

Still haven't ordered the Tango 2 yet, because I don't know which website is reputable.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tildes posted:

What’s the recommended drone insurance? I have a Mini now and I’m very invested in it’s survival/replacement.

State Farm Personal Article Policy last I checked

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
https://imgur.com/OKKB3zt

First flight up ended in catastrophy - 15 seconds in I tried to roll and got a roll of death. Spun into the ground and ended up shattering the x-plate into 4 pieces and ripping one of the press nuts out of the rear bottom plate.

I posted in JB's discord, and he said he's never seen the frame fail like that, especially from such a relatively minor crash. I'm gonna try using the x-plate from the johnny fpv qavs since it's 3mm thick instead of 2.

Got it home and disassembled on the bench and tested out the motors by blipping them up and down real quick and two sounded real chunky and got very hot. Checked the coils and saw singed wires, so those are probably good as dead.

Got replacement frame parts coming, and I ordered a new esc too. I don't wanna risk smoking more motors to confirm that the current esc caused the death roll.

I looked at the black box logs, but I don't quite know what I'm looking for in order to pinpoint the cause of the death roll.

TastyShrimpPlatter fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 5, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every year I film the fireworks show that my brother in law puts on with my drone. Last year it was with my parrot Bebop 2, which was not super up to the task of filming in that low of light and also accomodating for huge flashes of bright light. It took a lot of playing around in Premiere to make it look presentable, then I had to upscale it to 4K with an AI upscaler. After all that, the most frequent comment I got on the video from people who were at the show was "Oh, there isn't any sound?" (I had just put music over it).

I get why they ask, since most people don't think of things with the ability to record video also NOT having the ability to record sound, nor do they consider that sound recorded onboard a drone would be 95% wind noise mixed with 5% motor and prop whine.

So this year I did something different. I filmed it with my Mavic Air 2, which is much more well equipped to handle the low light and the rapid contrast transitions, can shoot 4K natively, and has a much bigger ISO capability, and I separately recorded audio and mixed them after the fact. It didnt take a ton of work in premiere this time other than just straight up editing out the dead spots where there are no fireworks going off and stuff.

I think it turned out pretty OK, and I do have to agree with what everyone said. It is better with sound. Excuse the first two minutes, as I went into the menus in the app after I took off, not realizing that the fireworks werent totally in frame. I left it in the video because my brother in law is more concerned about how the fireworks show looks for the crowd than he is about perfect framing, otherwise I would have cut it.

I did like the look of the fireworks from straight above, but I chickened out and bailed on that after a few of them because it seemed like they were really close when viewed from my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yiKjlYOTTg

The one thing that I really do miss from the Bebop is Parrots unbelievably useful automated flying software. It was built into the flight app and you could do so much with it. I had last years video programmed for the drone to circle around the fireworks launch area for the entirety of the show and it worked great. This year I didnt have that, and Litchi, for as much press as it gets is just not as good as the out of the box Parrot solution is, so I wound up flying and framing manually, which I'm not super great at in daylight let alone pitch black night only sporadically lit by fireworks.

Oh, well, something to figure out for next season.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 5, 2021

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

First flight up ended in catastrophy - 15 seconds in I tried to roll and got a roll of death. Spun into the ground and ended up shattering the x-plate into 4 pieces and ripping one of the press nuts out of the rear bottom plate.
Wow that suuuuuucks. Everything looked so mild, with no oscillations that I'd expect to see if the PID gains were too high or something. Did you disarm immediately when it crashed? Because that might have burned the motor wiring if it was trying to start the motors, although usually that kills the ESC and not the motors.

The desync looks like either the Motor Idle Throttle Value (Configuration tab) in Betaflight was too low, or you've got Dynamic Idle (PID tab) on and too low. Still, that's a ton of damage from such a minor crash. That sort of low-grade crash can happen every day without there really being anything apart from some bent props generally. Seems like extremely bad luck for a first crash and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I doubt the blackbox shows anything apart from one set of motors trying to stop the roll and just hitting 100%, except one isn't spinning properly so it isn't doing what it is told.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

CapnBry posted:

The desync looks like either the Motor Idle Throttle Value (Configuration tab) in Betaflight was too low, or you've got Dynamic Idle (PID tab) on and too low. Still, that's a ton of damage from such a minor crash. That sort of low-grade crash can happen every day without there really being anything apart from some bent props generally. Seems like extremely bad luck for a first crash and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I doubt the blackbox shows anything apart from one set of motors trying to stop the roll and just hitting 100%, except one isn't spinning properly so it isn't doing what it is told.

Yeah, everything was default betaflight 4.2.9 pids and filters, I only slightly tweaked rates and expo

Stepping back through the footage and black box logs, I'm pretty sure I didn't disarm until after I hit the ground, so that may have burned the motors.

My runcam mount looks like it was the first to impact and also got ripped off. As much as it sucks, this still made me laugh when I saw it

"Pretty sure I shouldn't be seeing my quad like this"

TastyShrimpPlatter fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 5, 2021

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I wanna fly my drone at the beach.
How bad an idea is this ?!

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

TheReverend posted:

I wanna fly my drone at the beach.
How bad an idea is this ?!

Ziptie an empty water bottle underneath if you're gonna fly over the water I guess. Sand in motors doesn't sound like a fun time either, especially if it ends up being ferrous.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

https://imgur.com/OKKB3zt

I looked at the black box logs, but I don't quite know what I'm looking for in order to pinpoint the cause of the death roll.

Over-rolling like that might be a lot of different things, but could be gyro or accelerometer not calibrated properly. Just out of curiosity, could you post the blackbox logs? I've had to diagnose things before, also definitely at least post them to JB's discord.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

ewiley posted:

Over-rolling like that might be a lot of different things, but could be gyro or accelerometer not calibrated properly. Just out of curiosity, could you post the blackbox logs? I've had to diagnose things before, also definitely at least post them to JB's discord.
black box

Also posted in JBs discord under workshop-1.

I had the FC and ESC installed backwards, but made sure that I updated the config to compensate.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My Nazgul 5 came in today and it won't loving bind to my tx16s. It's an xm+ receiver.

I should be using frsky, d16 , right ?

I have the receiver in bind mode , but nothing happens!

I'm so frustrated.

Any ideas?

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

TheReverend posted:

My Nazgul 5 came in today and it won't loving bind to my tx16s. It's an xm+ receiver.

I should be using frsky, d16 , right ?

I have the receiver in bind mode , but nothing happens!

I'm so frustrated.

Any ideas?

You may need to flash the RX to a previous version of ACCST xm+ firmware. It may have ACCESS firmware, which isn't compatible with the internal module of the TX16S.

I'd also make sure you update the internal radio with the latest firmware (this threw me when I was messing around with frsky because I assumed updating OpenTX would also update the internal radio)

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

You may need to flash the RX to a previous version of ACCST xm+ firmware. It may have ACCESS firmware, which isn't compatible with the internal module of the TX16S.

I'd also make sure you update the internal radio with the latest firmware (this threw me when I was messing around with frsky because I assumed updating OpenTX would also update the internal radio)

Does require taking the quad apart ?!

I'm not at that level 😓

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Okay I think I don't have to solder ?

Just trying to find the right cable ?

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

TheReverend posted:

Okay I think I don't have to solder ?

Just trying to find the right cable ?

This guy has a pretty good video going over how to update frsky receivers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwp2Pd_x6I0

I think the firmware can be found here https://www.frsky-rc.com/xm-plus-mini-sbus-non-telemetry-full-range/
You'll need to put it on to your radio SD card under the FIRMWARE folder

One of these cables came with my R-XSR receiver

You'll want to hook it up to your XM+ like this

Then you need to go into Model setup on the radio, set External Module to PPM
Then go to System, SD Card, FIRMWARE and select the firmware you uploaded to the card, then "Flash External Module"

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I think that's my problem.
I bought a RTF quad, no cables.

I just ordered an xm+ from RDQ so I guess I'll have a spare.

I'll try it out, hopefully comes with the cable.

Guess I need to get dirty at some point 🤷‍♂️

Thank you.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Quad updates.

I flashed new radio firmware, and I can talk to my quad via FrSky X2. Neat.

I have some questions tho before I fly this thing.

-Betaflight says one of my rate profiles under pid can potentially be a runaway? I tired testing motors with props off and at one point they kinda went wild so I'm kinda freaked out. I didn't touch this page at all. Does this sound normal?

My camera is very blue and yellow heavy. Anyone encountered something like this before ?

Nazgul5

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

TheReverend posted:

Quad updates.

-Betaflight says one of my rate profiles under pid can potentially be a runaway? I tired testing motors with props off and at one point they kinda went wild so I'm kinda freaked out. I didn't touch this page at all. Does this sound normal?

My camera is very blue and yellow heavy. Anyone encountered something like this before ?

Nazgul5

The quad probably came with that PID tune from the manufacturer, I wouldn't worry about it too much if you haven't messed with it at all. If you are worried, you can always change to a different profile, or reset to betaflight defaults. I'd make sure to backup your current config first though

The quad spinning up with props off is normal

quote:

Since the motors don't have props on, the PID controller can't have any effect. Since it's having no effect, it keeps trying harder and harder (the motors spin faster). This creates a feedback loop which results in the motors spinning up and up.

One thing I would check is that failsafe is set up properly - Props off, connect battery to the quad, arm it, give it a little throttle, then turn off your radio. Motors should stop spinning.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yep failsafe setup !
Thanks team.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

TheReverend posted:

Quad updates.

Nazgul5

The motors always spin up when you don’t have props on. Basically because the gyro sees no change when the motor speed increases it keep increasing, completely normal.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks!

This is my first 4S quad. And my hover test went okay!

I was a dipshit though and ended up cutting off the balance lead while landing. The battery is effectively charged though...

There was some shorts.

What should I do? Did I make a bomb?

I covered the leads with painters tape to avoid shorts and put it in a lipo bag.
I ordered a replacement balance lead wire.

Do you think this battery is toast now?
Do I need to discharge it first somehow?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

TheReverend posted:

Thanks!

This is my first 4S quad. And my hover test went okay!

I was a dipshit though and ended up cutting off the balance lead while landing. The battery is effectively charged though...

There was some shorts.

What should I do? Did I make a bomb?

I covered the leads with painters tape to avoid shorts and put it in a lipo bag.
I ordered a replacement balance lead wire.

Do you think this battery is toast now?
Do I need to discharge it first somehow?

It’s probably fine. Solder the new balance lead on while being careful not to short anything. Plug it into your charger and check the cell voltages. As long as they are close, the IR is OK, and the charger can balance it OK, send it until it wears out or you further damage it before repair.

Also LiPo bags do not provide full protection from fire. They help but it’s always a good idea to not rely on them if the battery is heavily damaged or shorted…don’t leave the battery in the bag in your car or house if you suspect it may go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

I'm always terrified driving home with a battery on the floor that I chopped up the balance lead on so I've got bare contacts sticking up, waiting to catch fire. It is almost certainly fine though if you replace the lead. I do this with my balance lead and it keeps it out of trouble except when the strap breaks and the battery goes flying but somehow manages to be in the danger zone long enough to get cut up. Some batteries I need to trim the heatshrink to get it to bend easily but it works great and even better if you've got two straps. This frame just doesn't have enough room for two.

Only registered members can see post attachments!