Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013

What is Enderal: Forgotten Stories?

If you look it up on Steam you'll see this unassuming designation; a community-made mod that requires The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to play.

While this is technically true, to call this a mod is like calling an aircraft carrier a boat.

What this free "mod" features:
  • A hand-crafted world easily the size of Skyrim with it's own dungeons, cities, towns, and unique points of interest
  • A complete campaign with fully voice acted characters, it's own musical score, and cinematic cutscenes
  • A memorable, high quality story that easily surpasses many AAA games in the market today
  • Distinct character classes with tons of customization, revamped magic system, followers and player housing
  • Romance options, deep interesting lore, and plenty of secrets to discover
  • Dedicated launcher that doesn't require you to fiddle around with any mods, you just download it like any other game on steam
  • Localized into 9 languages, with full voice acting in both English and German

Why haven't I heard of this before?
  • It's classification as a mod makes it fly under the radar despite the quality of the content
  • No reason for steam to highlight it because it makes no revenue
  • No marketing, and very little coverage on websites because these guys don't buy placement

How long is the game?
If you just follow the main quest line it will probably take you about 30 hours to complete, but you can easily spend 100+ hours if you do side quests and like to explore.

Where can I get this?
It's on steam or you can find it on the studio website.

What version of Skyrim is this compatible with?
They made a version of the game for both the original Skyrim as well as Skyrim Special Edition.

How did they make so much stuff for free?
I have no idea. Other than a few minor things here and there, it's pretty hard to tell that this game wasn't made by a AAA studio
This is actually the sequel to another entirely free game they made for Elder Scrolls Oblivion set in the same world.
You can support these guys by buying the soundtrack on steam, but other than that, they just did this poo poo for free...

Tektolnes fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I mean, better than Skyrim is a pretty low bar, but yes this game is actually really good.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I mean, better than Skyrim is a pretty low bar, but yes this game is actually really good.

True but this title is flashy. And plagiarized.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Good to see a thread for this, it really needs much more recognition for singlehandedly redeeming Skyrim by putting its assets to use in something actually worth playing.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Is there an easy way to play it with a modern borderless fullscreen that doesn't get messed up if you alt-tab more than a couple times?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's good and you can mod it to make it look real pretty.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pladdicus posted:

Is there an easy way to play it with a modern borderless fullscreen that doesn't get messed up if you alt-tab more than a couple times?

I think it runs borderless by default? It comes pre-modded with a whole bunch of QoL stuff, and I believe this is one of those.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013
Yeah the game was inherently more stable for me than vanilla skyrim without mods.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I really enjoy how they made undead a real threat, and made anti-undead spells actually super useful. The whole opening peninsula was such a good sequence of exploration and understanding how this world works.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 19, 2021

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013
It makes the paladin style character with anti-undead spells and traditional weapons for everything else completely viable.

I will say the early game feels harder than the later game, not having talents or skills makes you pretty vulnerable early on.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tektolnes posted:

It makes the paladin style character with anti-undead spells and traditional weapons for everything else completely viable.

I will say the early game feels harder than the later game, not having talents or skills makes you pretty vulnerable early on.

Oh totally, early game is a ball buster for sure.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013
You just have to recognize that you may not be able to kill everything you encounter for a while. The game doesn’t scale to your level, if you go into an area that’s too dangerous it’s going to be really hard. Retreat and come back later when you’re stronger and better equipped.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tektolnes posted:

You just have to recognize that you may not be able to kill everything you encounter for a while. The game doesn’t scale to your level, if you go into an area that’s too dangerous it’s going to be really hard. Retreat and come back later when you’re stronger and better equipped.

Right, which rocks, and the game doesn't TELL you this, it shows you, violently.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im a few hours into this and im blown away at how much effort was put into a free mod. it was difficult in the beginning but not in a way that made me want to uninstall. it got much more manageable once i got a full set of heavy armor and the divine shield spell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Been tempted to play Enderal even though I've never played the orignal Skyrim. I do own it on Steam though, but not the SE. Any idea if the SE version of Enderal is actually that much different from the regular, and does it support those aforementioned prettification mods?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mordja posted:

Been tempted to play Enderal even though I've never played the orignal Skyrim. I do own it on Steam though, but not the SE. Any idea if the SE version of Enderal is actually that much different from the regular, and does it support those aforementioned prettification mods?

I've played both on what is a pretty mediocre PC these days, both worked fine, but SE was overall smoother. As for mods, most mods for SE are ports of mods for the original "normal" version, so you can probably get whatever you want for whatever version you pick. Also since it's running on top of Skyrim, you can grab mods from Skyrim Nexus of the appropriate edition.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mordja posted:

I also came here to ask that. Does Skyrim run that much better with the SE?

I'm in the same boat.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I can't speak for Enderal as I haven't played it yet but I just did a super heavily modded Skyrim run after finally picking up the SE and it was a world of difference in terms of stability. No contest.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013

ASenileAnimal posted:

im a few hours into this and im blown away at how much effort was put into a free mod. it was difficult in the beginning but not in a way that made me want to uninstall. it got much more manageable once i got a full set of heavy armor and the divine shield spell.

The crazy part is the amount of dev investment they put into the first few hours of the game is actually far less than what goes into things further down the campaign. It gets progressively better. Wait until you see the capital city they built from scratch, makes everything is Skyrim seem small by comparison.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Tektolnes posted:

The crazy part is the amount of dev investment they put into the first few hours of the game is actually far less than what goes into things further down the campaign. It gets progressively better. Wait until you see the capital city they built from scratch, makes everything is Skyrim seem small by comparison.

im about 30 hours in and yep ark is incredible. i like how alot of the loot is worth keeping and remains useful for a long time. like even though im a heavy armor sword & shield guy its nice to be able to throw a summon down and whip out 2 fireball staffs for when you get swarmed and not have them do poo poo damage.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah this is really good, i kinda petered out after getting to arc, i need to get back into it and keep playing.

elemental magic is OP as gently caress.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

ASenileAnimal posted:

They also made Nehrim which was an Oblivion mod. I didn't like it as much as Enderal but it's still great and absolutely massive.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Does loot scale to your level or is everything fixed? I am looking at some armor sets but am worried about getting things too early and making equipment weaker.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Does loot scale to your level or is everything fixed? I am looking at some armor sets but am worried about getting things too early and making equipment weaker.

Iirc everything is fixed. No level or loot scaling. Enemies get tough the further into the world you go.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Stumbled across this today and it looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm in the mood for! Since it's apparently mechanically distinct from Skyrim, does anyone have advice for builds that they enjoyed, or ones they'd warn a new player off of?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kestral posted:

Stumbled across this today and it looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm in the mood for! Since it's apparently mechanically distinct from Skyrim, does anyone have advice for builds that they enjoyed, or ones they'd warn a new player off of?

Magic is actually good, so a mage build can be a lot of fun. Anti Undead spells are strong and useful against the very strong undead, so a paladin style build is viable now.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Phoix posted:

They also made Nehrim which was an Oblivion mod. I didn't like it as much as Enderal but it's still great and absolutely massive.

I remember Nehrim being a big improvement compared to Oblivion, I haven't tried Enderal but it's probably worth playing

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I remember Nehrim being a big improvement compared to Oblivion, I haven't tried Enderal but it's probably worth playing

It is. Enderal is hands down better than Skyrim is basically every way.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Kestral posted:

im playing a sword & shield guy and these are a few things that helped me:

-enchant your weapon with absorb stamina as soon as you can. even just one point will let you power attack or bash forever

-keep a stack of paralyze potions for tough enemies. especially mages if youre playing melee

-shield spells are great

-even if youre not specced for magic alot of spells like summons are really useful for when you get jumped by a bunch of dudes

-always move around during combat you cant really tank hits like og skyrim

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

-always move around during combat you cant really tank hits like og skyrim

At least in early game. Early game is very tough in Enderal, but the lack of scaling means that as you gear up better and get better skills, you will be better able to tank stuff and deal with more damage.

Also note that healing magic has a limit in "arcane fever", so don't expect to be a melee guy that just tanks poo poo and heals constantly. Not getting hit in the first place is the name of the game.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Enderal is absolutely amazing and I'm glad that other people are finding this out. Some of the dialogue is a little clunky due to translation and a few of the voice actors are obviously amateurs, but it also has some genuinely moving stories and performances that I still think about several years later.

I think the only gameplay advice I would offer is to maybe stay away from the new skill tree that let's you summon ghosts, I just found the frustration of dealing with Skyrim's companion AI outweighed the thematic element. Might be fine for dabbling in for the enchantment boosts, but my ghost kept getting stuck, getting me stuck, or just randomly running in the opposite direction of the enemy too often for it to be the backbone of a build.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeaht he phantasm tree is not great, but dipping into it for the enchanting boost is really nice.

psionic spells arent great to start with but turn into amazing powerhouses later on. if you go elemental/sinistrope trees you get a nice subclass and your signature move as elemental, a lightning nova, will also drain health and mana. it shreds groups for me. Its hella fun playing a mage in this.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Well I got to the first cave where you need do...something...and had to google how to find something hidden under a skeleton. I hope to hell the rest of the game is better than that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I tried playing Nehrim the other night and it would run fine (with constant hitching) until about 30 minutes later and it would hardlock and the ram usage would spike from 300mBs to 1300mBs+, even with one of those fixes (which shouldn't do anything because it uses another data file) and still did it if I made it 64bit aware. really frustrating because a half hour dungeon romp took 2 hours

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Comstar posted:

Well I got to the first cave where you need do...something...and had to google how to find something hidden under a skeleton. I hope to hell the rest of the game is better than that.

its much better yeah, i dont rememeber any pixel hunt poo poo at all.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Hmm, is it possible to run Enderal at 3840x2160? The launcher is very... finicky about what resolutions it wants to offer, defaulting to 2560x1440, then maxing out at 1920x1080 if I try to change the resolution using the dropdown menu. Editing EnderalPrefs.ini in the Documents folder just causes it to crash upon launch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, these are my settigs that work flawlessly:

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Important question: Does the mod have giant spiders? I remember that really made it hard to play Skyrim for me

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I just started playing and I have already run into a horse sized spider.

So far magic seems really good. Melee seems kind of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Tibbeh posted:

Important question: Does the mod have giant spiders? I remember that really made it hard to play Skyrim for me

Many, many spiders in several very large sizes.