Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rufus Ping posted:

Did it not have a plug or something

You're not forced to wash yourself under the running tap you know

Separate taps ftw. Nothing worse than a fixed mixer tap in the middle of the sink that you can't swing to one side. Makes it impossible to wash your face in the basin

do you sit around waiting for the whole basin to fill just to wash your hands, or are you the type to just not bother washing your hands after using the toilet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don't mind my current bath tap, which turns left / right for temperature and in / out for flow restriction. when i went to school in france i lived in a place that had that two separate taps, one for temp and one for flow. it was fine.

i actually like being able to turn the pressure down. i bought a dual showerhead that maintains a fair bit of perceived pressure even at low flow. i usually don't spend more than five minutes in the shower but if i have a long run or something sometimes i'll take my time and i like being able to spend a while under the water without wasting an insane amount.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jabor posted:

Just use the standard mixer handle where you rotate it on one axis to select the temperature, and on a different axis to select the flow rate. Yes the flow rate control is not very granular, but that doesn't matter because the only two options you need are "full flow" and "off".

this is mostly right except there is a place for “roughly 50%”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah full flow in my current shower is actually painful lol, it’s more than enough to move the showerhead around

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's not a shower it's a fire hydrant. dangit cinci we've been over this!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if only there were some device you could place on your shower faucet to moderate or shape the flow

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

if only there were some device you could place on your shower faucet to moderate or shape the flow

i did mean the shower head obviously (also lol at thinking shower faucets are common). my showerhead at lowest pressure preset and max flow on the tap has enough kick that you’d have to consciously hold and aim it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if your service pressure is too high for your shower head even at its lowest-pressure settings, but the pressure is good for the rest of your house, just put a water flow restrictor before the shower head

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i just use the flow axis on my mixer tap to serve less than 100% of service pressure and it’s fine. this full pressure detour began with someone else claiming full pressure is always the way to go

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
hackers can turn your faucet into a BOMB

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Jabor posted:

do you sit around waiting for the whole basin to fill just to wash your hands, or are you the type to just not bother washing your hands after using the toilet?

Neither, I tend to use the hot tap as it warms up. It starts off cool, perfect for establishing a lather, and then you get several seconds of nice warm water to rub around and rinse off under

I grant you that if someone else has just used it, it comes out too hot and you need to put the plug in instead. Hardly an imposition

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I wash myself with a rag on a stick

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

Neither, I tend to use the hot tap as it warms up. It starts off cool, perfect for establishing a lather, and then you get several seconds of nice warm water to rub around and rinse off under

I grant you that if someone else has just used it, it comes out too hot and you need to put the plug in instead. Hardly an imposition

we found terrible british plumbing shaggar

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i only want two kinds of water:

1. cold as hell full power
2. warm as hell slow trickle

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

idk what y'all are flipping out about wrt thermostat taps, they're loving amazing. you dial in your preferred temperature and leave it set forever (and argue with anyone who dares touch it) then you adjust the flow with the other tap. no more finagling both taps to readjust the temperature when you want to change the flow.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ive literally just learned that exists at all and ive lived in 6 eu member states

which ones? this might be an eastern/western EU distinction. they are very common in Gemany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, etc.

Rufus Ping posted:

ingerland: the land where the streams shall never cross
Victorian times are over you know.

also those electric shower heater things you guys have are _terrible_

sort your poo poo out, Britain

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

spankmeister posted:

idk what y'all are flipping out about wrt thermostat taps, they're loving amazing. you dial in your preferred temperature and leave it set forever (and argue with anyone who dares touch it) then you adjust the flow with the other tap. no more finagling both taps to readjust the temperature when you want to change the flow.

which ones? this might be an eastern/western EU distinction. they are very common in Gemany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, etc.

ingerland: the land where the streams shall never cross
Victorian times are over you know.

also those electric shower heater things you guys have are _terrible_

sort your poo poo out, Britain

Britain or at least England is the place where everything is terrible and people will insist this is how things are supposed to be

the empire died, the houses are sick, their brains have worms and if you don’t like it you can leave

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
i dont know what it has to do with secfucks, but it's very impressive that british plumbing is worse than british electrical installations

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

latvia, lithuania, finland, sweden, germany (west), uk

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

latvia, lithuania, finland, sweden, germany (west), uk

I’ve been in centuries old Italian houses and I’ve never seen split outlets for hot/cold and the same applies for current ones. Either two knobs with a single output or a two axis single control lever with a single output.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

I’ve been in centuries old Italian houses and I’ve never seen split outlets for hot/cold and the same applies for current ones. Either two knobs with a single output or a two axis single control lever with a single output.

we're talking about having separate knobs for temperature and flow, which is bizarre as hell if you ask me

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kesper North posted:

if you're going to hassle the british/americans about domestic fittings at least do it about something sensible, like electric mains plug design or voltage

Making fun of their wimpy electricity is fun and good, but also very pedestrian.

Anglos losing their mind over German windows is hilarious however. That's a whole youtube category of people having a religious experience with tilting, opening, and closing windows.

Like but with windows.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Making fun of their wimpy electricity is fun and good, but also very pedestrian.

Anglos losing their mind over German windows is hilarious however. That's a whole youtube category of people having a religious experience with tilting, opening, and closing windows.

Like but with windows.

wait what the gently caress ahahahahahahahahahaha

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

scotland's been slowly moving to mixers as bathroom renovations happen. generally for heating its a gas combi, radiators, and an electric shower. this is more so there's a source of hot water if something goes wrong with the boiler

and ya there's anti-scalding measures in place given an electric shower is just adding energy to groundwater of varying temp throughout the year

but uh, don't drink hot mixed water even if the tank is sitting above 55c for legionella there could be dead legs in the piping where bacteria's growing. you don't need to drink infected water to get legionaire's disease either it can aerosolise with a shower (or a hot tub in hotels)

this is also why you should use every tap at least once a week so there's not stagnant water somewhere in the system that could recirculate

and wtf is with those window reactions we've had tilt+turn windows for decades

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the only places in england I’ve seen separate hot/cold taps are in like my grandparents’ bathroom that hasn’t been touched since the 1980s. the only places I’ve seen those awful electric shower things are dirt cheap hotels. shame we still all rely on burning dinosaur farts to heat our badly insulated hovels.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i am the UK Defender on lots of things however the hot/cold tap thing is bad. it’s much less common than it was though i think?

anyway, there is a historical reason for it

quote:

Cold water came from a mains supply and was fit for drinking. Hot water would be serviced by a local storage cistern often situated in the loft.

"This caused an imbalance of pressures which meant that if incorrect taps and valves were installed one stream of water could force its way across to the other."

Water bylaws prevented hot and cold water being mixed because water that had been sitting in a tank in the loft was not deemed safe to drink, he said.
As far back as 1965 a code of practice called CP 310 advised that wherever possible hot water taps should be placed on the left.

"One of the reasons to maintain that over the years was reported to be so that the visually impaired would always know which sides the hot and cold were on," said Mr Wellman.

"When mixer taps came into vogue there was still a requirement to make sure water didn't mix until it came out of the tap," he said.

"So if you look closely you might be able to see the hot coming from the left hand side and the cold the right."

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

holy poo poo they weren't joking about multipage faucet derail

mystes
May 31, 2006

nvrgrls posted:

Posts are just gushing out of the the derail faucet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nvrgrls posted:

got to keep the thread running

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nvrgrls posted:

this wouldn't happen if we had fuses for our posts!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

british mains plugs are pretty neat in that the modern ones won't expose the live connectors in the jack until the ground pin is hooked up

220v on all your plugs is absolutely ridiculous though

220 is fine and frankly superior, the insane thing is the ring topology circuits that neccessitate overcurrent devices in every single plug

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

given the track record im just thankful they didn’t electrify the plumbing

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

230 volts good, UK plugs bulky but good, ring mains bad, don't @ me

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

do british houses still have cold water storage tanks in the attic that get filled up with dust, insects and dead mice?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PCjr sidecar posted:

given the track record im just thankful they didn’t electrify the plumbing

Who knows what innovation isolating themselves again with Brexit will bring!

Also lol that Brexit is in the Google keyboard

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

not in Europe but I’ve been around tilt turn windows my entire life

they’ve always struck me as the best window design for colder climates

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah we literally call the the upward twist opening “winter mode”

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Like but with windows.

you have to understand that most american homes have cheap, lovely, very poorly insulated double hung windows that often don't open or close properly even when they are brand new. seeing windows that actually work is a marvel to these people

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

230 volts good, UK plugs bulky but good, ring mains bad, don't @ me

The_Franz posted:

you have to understand that most american homes have cheap, lovely, very poorly insulated double hung windows that often don't open or close properly even when they are brand new. seeing windows that actually work is a marvel to these people
That's literally 90% of residential construction in the US. Timber frame and sheetrock in tornado alley? Don't mind if I do!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 27, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

gotta have more square feet in the McMansion don’t care none of quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

shame on an IGA posted:

220 is fine and frankly superior, the insane thing is the ring topology circuits that neccessitate overcurrent devices in every single plug

the fuse is to stop faulty appliances catching fire, not anything to do with ring circuits.