Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I got the Aeron work chair type C (goon size) with headrest.

Some of the others came close and it was expensive.

I thought it would pinch my legs reclined and it did, but simply lowering your seat fixes it, I never even thought of that simple solution.

Good job salesman, I got your 2nd most expensive chair because of that tip.
What's the pinching you're talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the pinching you're talking about?

Sounds like his chair isn't adjusted correctly more than the chair itself being a problem.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ffycchi posted:

Sounds like his chair isn't adjusted correctly more than the chair itself being a problem.

I'm guessing that yeah - the user was used to sitting in chairs set higher than ergonomics would recommend and dropping the seat pan a couple inches provided a lot of relief to the thighs. Edit: This could very well be due to an un-adjustable desk height; desks and chairs work in tandem and a sit-stand desk also allows the user to set the correct height in the sit position.

That being said, Aeron C is a drat good chair (if you don't sit in a way that the seat pan digs in, or the seat pan eventually teaches you via bruises and pain how to sit) and while it's too bad that it took $$$$ to learn that lesson - ultimately, you probably, I don't want to be too aggressively proscriptive here made a good choice and should feel good about your decision!

However, I'm also the big dumb idiot that thinks that the Aeron NEEDS a headrest so while I'm super-supportive heh :v: of your decision, there are also probably other Aeron users that will tell you a headrest is unnecessary for such a perfect chair.

Joke's on them, the Aeron was the fragile, error-ridden prototype for the Cosm I do not actually believe this, they are different chairs that serve different niches

Zarin fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 7, 2021

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I mostly like the plethora of adjustments.
I set it one way for a certain game, another for typing a lot, gamepad setting, sitting VR setting.

The other chairs were nice too, but not quite as adjustable.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm looking (semi) locally to get a Aeron since I do know I like those chairs. Will the chair (assembled) fit into a smaller sedan? I have a Kia Forte (Or Mitsubishi Lancer). If not I'm gonna have to take my huge rear end truck.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zarin posted:

I'm guessing that yeah - the user was used to sitting in chairs set higher than ergonomics would recommend and dropping the seat pan a couple inches provided a lot of relief to the thighs. Edit: This could very well be due to an un-adjustable desk height; desks and chairs work in tandem and a sit-stand desk also allows the user to set the correct height in the sit position.

That being said, Aeron C is a drat good chair (if you don't sit in a way that the seat pan digs in, or the seat pan eventually teaches you via bruises and pain how to sit) and while it's too bad that it took $$$$ to learn that lesson - ultimately, you probably, I don't want to be too aggressively proscriptive here made a good choice and should feel good about your decision!

However, I'm also the big dumb idiot that thinks that the Aeron NEEDS a headrest so while I'm super-supportive heh :v: of your decision, there are also probably other Aeron users that will tell you a headrest is unnecessary for such a perfect chair.

Joke's on them, the Aeron was the fragile, error-ridden prototype for the Cosm I do not actually believe this, they are different chairs that serve different niches

pls don't make people click on half a dozen useless spoilers to read your post thx

I'll probably get an aeron at some point but I'm still holding out hope that eventually my job will pay for one

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm looking (semi) locally to get a Aeron since I do know I like those chairs. Will the chair (assembled) fit into a smaller sedan? I have a Kia Forte (Or Mitsubishi Lancer). If not I'm gonna have to take my huge rear end truck.
It fit in my 06 Buick Lacrosse back passenger upside down, but I had to roll the window down to get it out, the wheels were getting hung.

They loaded it, if I was to do it I may have loaded it in a fully reclined front seat upside down.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Day four with the Herman Miller Embody, and so far my butt is not pleased with the seat on this thing. I know there might be some adjustment period switching to these kinds of chairs, but i didn't expect it to be so bad that I dread sitting down at the computer.

Switching back to my old and battered chair is such a relief. Too bad it's really starting to show it's age after close to 20 years of service.

Interestingly loosing the headrest hasn't bothered me at all, but that might be because I almost never used the reclining function on the old chair.

My return window for the Embody will be open for a few more days, and so far i´m slightly leaning towards returning it. Outside of the butt issue i´ve got some mixed feelings on the back and the build quality (there's some part of the seat depth adjustment that tends to rattle if i tap my feet).

Not sure though what i´ll get instead if I return it. I kinda want to try out the Aeron/Mirra mesh design and even though it's likely that i´m going to have the same sore butt problems there, I think i´m more ready to adjust to that design rather than the Embody.

Another option is this Kab Director chair.

Which has a more traditional cushion, feels closer to my good old chair (and looks a bit like a premium version of the standard gaming chair), a headrest and amusingly an airbag in the lower back area that you can inflate/deflate with the hand pump under the chair for lumbar support.

I was at some point very interested in the HM Cosm tall back version, but after testing it a bit (i´ve been testing all these chairs regularly at my local store) i came to the conclusion that the general lack of adjustments and especially the lack of tilt lock would sour me on the thing down the line. Also gently caress the mesh leaf arms, thank god there's an option for a more standard armrest.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Njashi9 posted:

Day four with the Herman Miller Embody, and so far my butt is not pleased with the seat on this thing. I know there might be some adjustment period switching to these kinds of chairs, but i didn't expect it to be so bad that I dread sitting down at the computer.

Switching back to my old and battered chair is such a relief. Too bad it's really starting to show it's age after close to 20 years of service.

Interestingly loosing the headrest hasn't bothered me at all, but that might be because I almost never used the reclining function on the old chair.

My return window for the Embody will be open for a few more days, and so far i´m slightly leaning towards returning it. Outside of the butt issue i´ve got some mixed feelings on the back and the build quality (there's some part of the seat depth adjustment that tends to rattle if i tap my feet).

Not sure though what i´ll get instead if I return it. I kinda want to try out the Aeron/Mirra mesh design and even though it's likely that i´m going to have the same sore butt problems there, I think i´m more ready to adjust to that design rather than the Embody.

Another option is this Kab Director chair.

Which has a more traditional cushion, feels closer to my good old chair (and looks a bit like a premium version of the standard gaming chair), a headrest and amusingly an airbag in the lower back area that you can inflate/deflate with the hand pump under the chair for lumbar support.

I was at some point very interested in the HM Cosm tall back version, but after testing it a bit (i´ve been testing all these chairs regularly at my local store) i came to the conclusion that the general lack of adjustments and especially the lack of tilt lock would sour me on the thing down the line. Also gently caress the mesh leaf arms, thank god there's an option for a more standard armrest.

I know I've been repeating this to death hah. But try the elusion out. It's bottom cushion is great. And has a mesh back.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ffycchi posted:

Ffycchi's Offical Sit your rear end down in a new chair post

So after reading through quite a few posts here and only seeing "just buy hermann miller" and "all budget chairs are absolutely poo poo" I figured I would use my extensive experience of sitting on my arse in many layers of hell to give my expertise to this thread! Don't worry I've taken out any and all referral links or amazon tracking crap from the URL's. I'm not here to make money.

poo poo Tier:
Do not buy these, your back and/or arse will regret it as you age.

Literally any gaming/racing chair.
Price: $150-600

Seriously, anything that looks like this... Just don't. I don't care that your favourite streamer uses them, he gets paid to sit in them. If I got some endorsement deal tossing me six figures for just sitting in a chair while making more money doing my actual job, I would sit in them too!

I am not going to give it the courtesy of a buy it here link. If you want it, use google.

They are not ergonomic, they will fall apart quickly, the PU material will peel off, they are not good for you as you age.

poo poo tier is actually too nice for these, I wouldn't use them as a toilet. I'm going to ST that.

6mo/1year Tier:
Called because after that, throw it out. Support is gone, dead, deflated, deceased, disabled, et cetera.

Amazon Basics/ any other AMAZERN MESH BACKED "EERGONERMICZ" chair
Price: $99-300

Compared to the poo poo tier chair this is like sitting your arse on a golden throne....fooooor a month or two. After that, you might as well throw it in a bin. Consider this almost any "Mesh ergonomic chair" you see on amazon with a FEW exceptions. Just good luck digging through all the chinesium clones, fake reviews, and fake review websites to find them. I spent mooooonths on them trying to find my "perfect chair" I must have bought and sent back 30-40 of these chairs to amazon after a week of being like "oh wow...This is actually terrible. I would rather sit on a giant dildo."

The Office Depot Chair
Price: $150-300

Do you want to look like a fat cat executive? Get yourself an Office Depot Special! With PU Leather guaranteed not to start cracking and ripping off for at least 3 weeks! Oh and some of them have this air bladder plastic cushion thing under the foam that eventually breaks in some odd way and then fills up with air from the hydraulic release and you end up with one arsecheek higher than the other.....Ask me how I know...No really, I'm not kidding. I guess it would work great if you've been shot in the arse and were an arsecheek amputee or something, but for everyone else....Don't bother.

5 year tier:
No silly name here, tier is its lifespan

Eurotech Seating Ergohuman
Price range: $300-600 depending on scalpers because global pandemic chair shortage( :dafuq: )
https://www.amazon.com/Eurotech-Seating-Ergohuman-ME7ERG-Managers/dp/B01N6QL0UM

First of my recommended chairs. If you aren't paying for it. If your boss says "new chairs for the conference room!!!" but is too cheap to get the Hermann Miller/Steelcase(hereafter known as HM/SC) chairs Get these. They could probably last 10 years in a small business conference room where they aren't used terribly much, Otherwise they are overpriced for what you get. Good chair...Yeah. But at this price point id get a better used chair or something else from farther down below.

The problem with these mesh chairs is they are basically unrepairable once the mesh starts to sag, which generally starts at around 2 years, and becomes absolutely impossible to use without wanting to stab yourself in the back after 5. But hey, its for the conference room, not you. And hey, they look professional for the price so that will assuage the boss' need to stroke his ego.

Staples Hyken Task Chair
Price: $120-230(sales depending)
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Disclaimer: I have not used this chair, it has been added due to enough comments on comfort and reliability to be tiered. Please ask others for review.

10 year tier:
See previous answer

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

IKEA Markus Office Chair
Price: $199.00
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

If it fits you it's a great chair. It doesn't have much in terms of adjustment. I would highly recommend going to your local IKEA and just sitting in one and getting a feel for it. I've heard many complaints about the armrests as well. This one comes down to personal taste/fitting which I really can't advise you on.

30 Year Tier
Wait...HOW MUCH??!!

Now we get into the big boy tier. This is where Pricing, support(warranty not physical), and material quality go up exponentially. If you can find a local office reseller and can find them there, I would highly recommend doing that because you can get them for up to a quarter of the original sticker price.

I am actually NOT going to write review's for each of these individually past this point, all of them are great chairs with lots of OHGODMYWALLET options and can last you up to 30 years with a 12 year+ warranty. Some people have even said their's have lasted longer than 30 but I'm not going down that rabbit hole of differences in construction, materials, etc of different decades...Lets just leave it at "solid option"

Hermann Miller Mirra 2
Price: $795-1500(options)
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/mirra-2-task-chair/1453.html

HM Mirra Disclaimer: This chair is the IKEA Markus of the big boys. If it fits, you'll love it. if not, you will likely hate it. I have heard about a 50/50 ratio. It doesn't fit me and some other larger people I know, but it does fit others, so I highly recommend testing before buying this specific chair.

Steelcase Leap Office Chair
Price: $899-2000(options)
https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/leap

Hermann Miller Aeron
Price: $1395-2500(options)
https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/aeron-chairs/

Hermann Miller Embody
Price: $1635-3000
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/embody-task-chair/4737.html

gently caress you money tier:

Do you want to be part of the elite club of gamers??!!
Do you want to show off your cock buying power to everyone who walks in your house??!!
Do you want to show how invested in crypto you are and how you can make your guest's money too??!!
Boy have I got the chair for you!

Hermann Miller x Logitech G Embody Gaming Chair
Price: $1595
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/herman-miller-x-logitech-g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html

It's literally just an embody with Logitech branding, gamer aesthetic, and like $40 cheaper because at this price do you really want to have that edgy of a chair?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Good content.

I got a used leap v1 and I am… disappointed.

It’s definitely an upgrade over what I had before, but for a piece of furniture that retails in 4 digits, I was expecting more of a life-changing revelation.

Instead it’s just a, kind of, nicer chair.

I don’t feel like my posture has improved much. Nor has my back pain lessened.

Am I just expecting too much?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I assume part of the value is in the durability, not just comfort. It is reasonable that a chair that you replace every 20 years costs more than a cheepo chair that needs replacement every 2 years. 10 times as much? Maybe.

I once bought an expensive for me at the time executive chair at walmart. It was the most comfortable chair I'd ever had so I bought one for my mom too. Within a few months the cushion was flat. Within a year it looked diseased as the bonded leather started pealing away. I kept it for another year because I didn't want to be wasteful but mostly because it was big and heavy and hard to dispose of.

Eventually I followed advice from a post earlier in the thread and got a chair with a 10 year warrantee rated for 24/7 use for people 150 pounds heavier than me. It was never the most comfortable chair I owned, but years later everything still works exactly the way it did new. The fabric on the seat cushion is showing a little wear, but that's it. The seat cushion was a little too firm when I got it, and it is still a little too firm, it hasn't broken down one bit.

(Not a famous brand chair, I think this one was like $600 which still makes it one of the most expensive things in my home. I bought it for the 10 year warrantee and 24/7 rating)

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Good content.

It’s definitely an upgrade over what I had before, but for a piece of furniture that retails in 4 digits, I was expecting more of a life-changing revelation.

I absolutely hated the seat cushion in the used leap v1 I bought five years ago. Luckily it was only $150 and I gave it to my mother in law who absolutely loves it. Ended up buying an open box Haworth lively and zody chairs that are a lot more comfortable. Been using both for about four years now.

Just pulled the trigger on an open box steelcase Amia for $300 on eBay. Supposedly the seat cushion is a bit thicker than the leap so we will see. If not my brother needs an office chair so I’ll give it to him.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Good content.

Every chair is going to be different for every individual. There is no perfect chair for everyone.

As the guy above me said though....at the higher price points it's mostly about durability and quality of materials.

These are chairs that last for decades not years.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone with cats have an Aeron?

I'm going to a used office furniture store tomorrow to try out some chairs and they have a few decent options. I think I really want a Leap v2, and they're supposed to get some in soon, but they're not on their site yet.

Basically I'm worried about my rear end in a top hat cats using an Aeron as a scratching post (despite the fact we have 2 cat trees and 8 or more scratching posts in this house), and destroying the mesh.

Here's what they have on their website if anyone sees anything else worth looking at. Their stock fluctuates daily and they don't always have everything listed on their website. I found out about the leaps coming in from a FB live video they did.
https://www.officefurnituresa.com/product-category/office-chairs/task-chairs/

I wish I knew about this place sooner, I paid like 80 bucks each for my kids to have "gaming" task chairs for their desks, when I could have saved money and got them a used Herman Miller Reaction for less money.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

skipdogg posted:

Anyone with cats have an Aeron?

I'm going to a used office furniture store tomorrow to try out some chairs and they have a few decent options. I think I really want a Leap v2, and they're supposed to get some in soon, but they're not on their site yet.

Basically I'm worried about my rear end in a top hat cats using an Aeron as a scratching post (despite the fact we have 2 cat trees and 8 or more scratching posts in this house), and destroying the mesh.

Here's what they have on their website if anyone sees anything else worth looking at. Their stock fluctuates daily and they don't always have everything listed on their website. I found out about the leaps coming in from a FB live video they did.
https://www.officefurnituresa.com/product-category/office-chairs/task-chairs/

I wish I knew about this place sooner, I paid like 80 bucks each for my kids to have "gaming" task chairs for their desks, when I could have saved money and got them a used Herman Miller Reaction for less money.

I my wife has 4 cats. They all have all their claws, and they have destroyed every piece of furniture that I own. And trim. And doors. Well, almost every piece of furniture . . . we have an Aeron, a Cosm, and a WorkPro 9000. For some reason, they have never touched the mesh. Not even once.

They've scratched the armrests up a bit (solid pieces of dense foam) but never the mesh.

I had the same concern when I got the WorkPro 9000, but they didn't bother it. So I never worried about the Aeron or the Cosm. Granted, each cat is different, ymmv, etc. etc. but yeah, haven't had an issue with cats and mesh chairs in the last decade both have coexisted under my roof (that the cats probably would have scratched if they could reach it :v: )

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Trip report: they didn’t have any leaps in stock, and I really didn’t care for the Aeron at all.

I did buy a used Herman Miller Celle for 199 bucks though and I really like it so far. We’ll see how it goes next week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I went to Design Within Reach and sat in an Aeron for the first time since I was in the office last March.

It’s still perfect.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is a Steelcase Gesture as a good a purchase in the EU as it is in the US? I notice it comes with "only" 5 years of warranty here, while there are other brands in that price range that offer 10 years.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Incessant Excess posted:

Is a Steelcase Gesture as a good a purchase in the EU as it is in the US? I notice it comes with "only" 5 years of warranty here, while there are other brands in that price range that offer 10 years.

I'd say steelcase is a pretty good brand, but you should figure out if it's worth the cost for you. My preference is HM Embody with it's whatever warranty.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

I'd say steelcase is a pretty good brand, but you should figure out if it's worth the cost for you. My preference is HM Embody with it's whatever warranty.

I've owned both. Ideally try both, but I did find the Gesture comfortable and the Embody not.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

My Aeron's seat broke over the weekend (plastic snapped around the back where the meshing is held), I just disassembled it to get ready for the replacement seat to arrive and found a manufacture date on it. I bought it used, so I had no idea how long it was in commission for.

I think that's a pretty long and healthy lifespan.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've long resisted the lure of the "gaming chair" despite spending 90% of my computer time at home gaming. Instead, I'd trek out to Staples or Office Depot, buy the first ~$100 chair I could find that felt halfway decent, and then do it again when the chair inevitably fell apart a year or two later.

My vaccinated-but-cautious rear end still isn't ready to strut its way out to the local big box office store, so after reading reviews and asking a couple of ~.*.~pro-streamer~.*.~ friends, I ordered a SecretLabs Omega.

I put it together earlier this afternoon, and I'm very impressed with the build quality compared to... every lovely office chair I've ever owned. It feels super-solid, which I now realize I've never experienced with my lovely previous chairs.

I chose the "softweave" fabric over the fake leather. A lot of reviews say it's surprisingly soft, but I'm finding it more like a not-quite-broken-in pair of denim jeans, which is not really what I'd call "soft". It does feel super durable though.

The positioning and support is very good. I tend to have awful posture and don't enjoy leaning back in most chairs, but it comes with an attachable headrest, so that's nice. I might use it occasionally.

My biggest gripe from my first few hours with the Omega is the seat itself. The part where your butt goes. It's... firm. Really firm. Ouch-y firm. I'm probably going to have to find a seat cushion for this thing.

But I'm hopeful overall. I'll spend a few weeks with it and check back in if anyone's interested.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

WhiteHowler posted:

I've long resisted the lure of the "gaming chair" despite spending 90% of my computer time at home gaming. Instead, I'd trek out to Staples or Office Depot, buy the first ~$100 chair I could find that felt halfway decent, and then do it again when the chair inevitably fell apart a year or two later.

My vaccinated-but-cautious rear end still isn't ready to strut its way out to the local big box office store, so after reading reviews and asking a couple of ~.*.~pro-streamer~.*.~ friends, I ordered a SecretLabs Omega.

I put it together earlier this afternoon, and I'm very impressed with the build quality compared to... every lovely office chair I've ever owned. It feels super-solid, which I now realize I've never experienced with my lovely previous chairs.

I chose the "softweave" fabric over the fake leather. A lot of reviews say it's surprisingly soft, but I'm finding it more like a not-quite-broken-in pair of denim jeans, which is not really what I'd call "soft". It does feel super durable though.

The positioning and support is very good. I tend to have awful posture and don't enjoy leaning back in most chairs, but it comes with an attachable headrest, so that's nice. I might use it occasionally.

My biggest gripe from my first few hours with the Omega is the seat itself. The part where your butt goes. It's... firm. Really firm. Ouch-y firm. I'm probably going to have to find a seat cushion for this thing.

But I'm hopeful overall. I'll spend a few weeks with it and check back in if anyone's interested.

I would be! That's a chair where the tilt mechanism is very far forward, closer to the knees than the center of the chair, correct?

That style of chair has always intrigued me, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a gaming chair when I was looking last.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been using the the bigger version of the Omega, the Titan, for the last 9 months and I'm not a big fan. The seat is too flat, to the point that I worry about it disrupting blood circulation in my legs. And the arm pads have wrinkled up and split in a couple places. It's not the worst chair I've ever used, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra price over other gaming chairs. And there's already a slight wobble developing. Overall I'd say that the eternal wisdom of Don't Buy a Gaming Chair holds true here.

This no longer has anything to do with the post above, but I've actually had a really frustrating experience with chairs over the last few years. I'm an extremely abusive chair owner. My posture is terrible, and I'm constantly leaning either back or to one of the sides (or both). I also use these chairs for work (at home) and leisure, so they get 12 hours of use a day. My first desk chair of mysterious origins handed down to me from my brother lasted for eons until the spring broke, letting me lean back with no resistance. I still stuck with it for several more years anyway until the seat wore out. Then I switched to a cheap gaming chair (some DXRacer crap or a knockoff), and it broke within a year. Like, literally snapped in half. Then I ordered a Steelcase Series 2 (when they were "just" $400 instead of $700 now--yikes), and it developed a wobble within a year. The back also lost a lot of its resistance, letting me lean back too easily. Instead of bothering with the warranty process and going through that every year, I stuck it in my closet and ordered the SecretLab. I thought maybe if I got a bigass, oversized gaming chair designed for people heavier than I, it would endure my abuse. It has not held up terribly well, though, and I wonder if I'll be ordering yet another chair a year down the road.

I've been reluctant to buying the really expensive chairs because I worry that I'll break whatever I get within a year again. So, I'd like to hear from other people who treat their chairs (and bodies) as terribly as I: what have been the most durable chairs for you?

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
I am now on week two with an Aeron size C at home, and I'm pretty confident that I don't need to search any further. I started this month in an Embody, and it was such a pain in the rear end (literally) sitting on that thing that I ended up returning it. I then ended up getting an Aeron just to test out, and after a few days I was happy enough with it that I ended up buying it.

Pretty much the only thing that I liked more on the Embody was the wide seat that made it possible to sit cross legged without any hassle. Other than that the Aeron seems to fit me much better. I far prefer the Aeron's wide backrest over the narrow back of the Embody.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've been reluctant to buying the really expensive chairs because I worry that I'll break whatever I get within a year again. So, I'd like to hear from other people who treat their chairs (and bodies) as terribly as I: what have been the most durable chairs for you?

It's not an answer to your question but personally the reason for why i've been so focused on the Herman Miller chairs is because they (or at least Aeron/Mirra) have this reputation of lasting forever, and also when they break down you'll in most cases have the option of getting spare parts to repair them.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've been using the the bigger version of the Omega, the Titan, for the last 9 months and I'm not a big fan. The seat is too flat, to the point that I worry about it disrupting blood circulation in my legs. And the arm pads have wrinkled up and split in a couple places. It's not the worst chair I've ever used, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra price over other gaming chairs. And there's already a slight wobble developing. Overall I'd say that the eternal wisdom of Don't Buy a Gaming Chair holds true here.

This no longer has anything to do with the post above, but I've actually had a really frustrating experience with chairs over the last few years. I'm an extremely abusive chair owner. My posture is terrible, and I'm constantly leaning either back or to one of the sides (or both). I also use these chairs for work (at home) and leisure, so they get 12 hours of use a day. My first desk chair of mysterious origins handed down to me from my brother lasted for eons until the spring broke, letting me lean back with no resistance. I still stuck with it for several more years anyway until the seat wore out. Then I switched to a cheap gaming chair (some DXRacer crap or a knockoff), and it broke within a year. Like, literally snapped in half. Then I ordered a Steelcase Series 2 (when they were "just" $400 instead of $700 now--yikes), and it developed a wobble within a year. The back also lost a lot of its resistance, letting me lean back too easily. Instead of bothering with the warranty process and going through that every year, I stuck it in my closet and ordered the SecretLab. I thought maybe if I got a bigass, oversized gaming chair designed for people heavier than I, it would endure my abuse. It has not held up terribly well, though, and I wonder if I'll be ordering yet another chair a year down the road.

Your first paragraph (at least about the seat pan) speaks to me - I pretty much Cannot Function without some sort of foot/legrest under my desk. Like, not the little ergo footrest bullshit you see in an office; I'm talking about a full-on ottoman roughly 19" tall that is basically in-line with the seat pan. Something that I can stick my legs straight out on, fold 'em up, etc. etc . . . bonus points if I can slide it out of the way easily enough if I want to actually put my feet on the ground for a bit.

THAT BEING SAID! If you really think that your lifestyle involves Leaning Back, Forever, you might be a candidate for the Cosm. Yeah, it's expensive, and it's definitely a lifestyle commitment to buy a chair that is going to put you at some level of tilt all day every day, but . . . I bought one, and I definitely don't regret it. In fact, I wasn't sure if I wasn't secretly just convincing myself that I liked it, until I was separated from it for 2 months and I would have done terrible things to be reunited with it sooner.

I have the high-back model, and it's funny because I used to use a headrest on every chair before it (Aeron C, WorkPro 9000, random Staples chairs) and the back support on this high-back model makes me not even care about a headrest. I didn't think such a thing was possible.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A friend of mine works as a Herman Miller dealer so apparently they can hook me up with a great deal. Should I just get an Aeron and be done with it or should I go nuts with an Embody?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Josh Lyman posted:

A friend of mine works as a Herman Miller dealer so apparently they can hook me up with a great deal. Should I just get an Aeron and be done with it or should I go nuts with an Embody?

You should sit in All The Chairs. More than once. And choose the one that speaks to you.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm in the middle of nowhere so I don't think there's any nearby office liquidation warehouses or whatever I can go to. Is there a goon recommended place to buy a refurbished or otherwise heavily discounted Herman Miller chair online? I've been using garbage $150 Amazon chairs for years and it is long past time for me to upgrade to something much nicer.

edit: Bought a Leap v2 from Crandall Office Furniture

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 3, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

... Please read my post on earlier pages about gamer chairs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

I'm in the middle of nowhere so I don't think there's any nearby office liquidation warehouses or whatever I can go to. Is there a goon recommended place to buy a refurbished or otherwise heavily discounted Herman Miller chair online? I've been using garbage $150 Amazon chairs for years and it is long past time for me to upgrade to something much nicer.

edit: Bought a Leap v2 from Crandall Office Furniture

If it was one of their remanufactured chairs, please share your thoughts after using it for a bit. I'm curious about how thorough and reliable their remanufacturing process is. It looks good on paper, but seeing some first-hand reports would be nice.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

I was looking through all the Steelcase/Herman Millers and can any of them lock into a reclined position? Having the back stay in place when I'm trying to relax is a must.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

LunarCress posted:

I was looking through all the Steelcase/Herman Millers and can any of them lock into a reclined position? Having the back stay in place when I'm trying to relax is a must.

Can confirm that Aeron remastered does not lock in place for recline.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

the leap v2 doesn't lock either!

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Most HM/sc don't have that ability. I think(I may be remembering wrong) the embody does.

The alera elusion also has this ability.(I feel like a broken record parroting this off...maybe I should apply to alera lmao...)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LunarCress posted:

The Gesture is another one you can strike from your list.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Acer Pilot posted:

Can confirm that Aeron remastered does not lock in place for recline.

Personally I found the adjustable lean back resistance so good I can just go to any position and stay there with zero effort. So while I thought the lack of lock would bother me, it hasn't.

While I'm here might as well talk about my recent aeron remastered (C) purchase.

For the first week it absolutely killed my thighs. Turns out being a very tall guy, I've never sat in a chair that actually put pressure on my lower thighs, the seat pans always ended too early. Thankful this passed within the return window as I was very close to returning it.

I was surprised with how much I use the forward tilt. I have a habit of leaning forward onto my elbow when I get really into focus on reading something. With the forward tilt I do this will less arching of the back, so it's more comfortable. I then turn off forward tilt when I'm done with work.

Overall very happy. Its not the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in BUT I can sit in it all day and not notice, something I don't think I've ever been able to say about any chair before. Handy when I'm in it for minimum 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (and that's if I play no games).

My only complaint is the loose plastic housing underneith. It leads to an audible click when the tension from the cable pulls on it when leaned all the way back and then learning back forward. I sorted this with a tiny square of black tape.
I could have returned it but checking a few shop models I noticed they had it to. Probably something most people wouldn't even notice but I'm sensitive to stuff like that.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 7, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Personally I found the adjustable lean back resistance so good I can just go to any position and stay there with zero effort. So while I thought the lack of lock would bother me, it hasn't.

While I'm here might as well talk about my recent aeron remastered (C) purchase.

For the first week it absolutely killed my thighs. Turns out being a very tall guy, I've never sat in a chair that actually put pressure on my lower thighs, the seat pans always ended too early. Thankful this passed within the return window as I was very close to returning it.

I was surprised with how much I use the forward tilt. I have a habit of leaning forward onto my elbow when I get really into focus on reading something. With the forward tilt I do this will less arching of the back, so it's more comfortable. I then turn off forward tilt when I'm done with work.

Overall very happy. Its not the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in BUT I can sit in it all day and not notice, something I don't think I've ever been able to say about any chair before. Handy when I'm in it for minimum 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (and that's if I play no games).

My only complaint is the loose plastic housing underneith. It leads to an audible click when the tension from the cable pulls on it when leaned all the way back and then learning back forward. I sorted this with a tiny square of black tape.
I could have returned it but checking a few shop models I noticed they had it to. Probably something most people wouldn't even notice but I'm sensitive to stuff like that.

I had your exact same problem when I started my journey into chairs. I was so unused to having support on my thighs my body didn't know how to handle it and until I got used to it it was a miserable experience.

After I did get used to it however I could never go back. It's such a massive improvement in my ability to sit for long hours in comfort.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

When I brought up goons having problems with Aeron with their thighs on the edge the chair salesman said to adjust the height so your knees are at 90°

It works and blew my mind with how simple it is, but upright and tilted can be up to an inch different height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was always told to get your legs at right angles to your thighs, feet flat on the floor. If this isn't the right height for your desk then either lift the chair up and get a footrest, or you need a higher desk.