Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow, speaking of shadow tactics, new standalone expansion coming later this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBDdoCS0Uok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i need to play shadow tactics already

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting THAT! I'll have to give that a go, for sure! Well, once I get around to buying/playing Partisan '41, since Seventh Arrow makes it sound great.
Probably when I finish with Door Kickers 2. I couldn't resist picking it up, since I've had a lot of fun with the original over the years, ever since picking it up on a whim long ago while it was in early access

EDIT: I mean, I know Door Kickers seems to generally be intended as a louder kind of tactics game, but I always play through it stealthily, using only 1-2 guys instead of a full roster. Very challenging and fun, that way

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Keep in mind that if you're coming to Partisans from Desperados III, it's much less vibrant and flashy. However, the gameplay is solid and you play a bunch of hardened Russians killing nazis so it kind of evens out.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

Wow, speaking of shadow tactics, new standalone expansion coming later this year

nice

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's on Game Pass too.

Isabelle kicks rear end, she's probably overpowered but too much fun to care

she was a kewl suprise i did not expect her powers after everyone else was mostly re-tooled shadow tactics archetypoes

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

goferchan posted:

:worship:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Steam Sale Trip Report:

- The Occupation is super good and polished for an indie game. It's like Thief, but without any weapons and instead of a magical conspiracy it's a 1980s UK political conspiracy. (https://store.steampowered.com/app/765880/The_Occupation/)

- Desperados III is even more good and fun than the above

- Partisans 1941 is also even more good and fun

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Love Stole the Day posted:

Steam Sale Trip Report:

- The Occupation is super good and polished for an indie game. It's like Thief, but without any weapons and instead of a magical conspiracy it's a 1980s UK political conspiracy. (https://store.steampowered.com/app/765880/The_Occupation/)

- Desperados III is even more good and fun than the above

- Partisans 1941 is also even more good and fun

The Occupation sounds cool

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Just a note that The Occupation has a countdown running through the whole game so if that kind of thing drives you crazy, you might want to avoid.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I didn't mind the countdown but the guard ai in Occupation has them stalk you throughout the level even if you're completely hidden, leading to moments where they will corner you in a vent or under a table and simply won't walk away even though they haven't 'seen' you and can't 'find' you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Occupation has a cool concept but is kind of dogshit, also it's predicated on the idea that there are British journalists with integrity and it's hard to suspend disbelief.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Plebian Parasite posted:

I didn't mind the countdown but the guard ai in Occupation has them stalk you throughout the level even if you're completely hidden, leading to moments where they will corner you in a vent or under a table and simply won't walk away even though they haven't 'seen' you and can't 'find' you.

I got bad news for you about every AAA game you've ever played. Also I didn't notice anything like that in my playthrough.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Forgot about partisans, need to give it a try. Needs to be more stealth games in this gamers opinion

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

splinter cell 2 on xbox was real good. had sega energy behind it. multiplayer mode was unlike most other games, 2 spies vs 2 security officers. i remember one of the coolest weapons being a dart you could shoot a security guard with and it'd let you listen in on their headset chat. no way the game would work today.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

I got bad news for you about every AAA game you've ever played. Also I didn't notice anything like that in my playthrough.

I don't play AAA games

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

splinter cell 2 on xbox was real good. had sega energy behind it. multiplayer mode was unlike most other games, 2 spies vs 2 security officers. i remember one of the coolest weapons being a dart you could shoot a security guard with and it'd let you listen in on their headset chat. no way the game would work today.

That was chaos theory right? Still one of my favorite MP games. On PC it was especially great because the mercenary flashlights didn’t work for anyone in our group so the spies could sit right in front of an enemy without being seen. Love that game, great coop too.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Chaos Theory was SC3; SC2 was Pandora Tomorrow, which was almost as good but I guess it won't play on modern systems because of some sort of shader issue?

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
sc 1-4 are all great imo and ive played them all tons of times. each has at least 2-3 all time great levels

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
personal favorites are the train level from 2, the bank level from 3, and the hotel level from 4

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ol yeller posted:

personal favorites are the train level from 2, the bank level from 3, and the hotel level from 4

Oh yeah, these line up with my faves, too. The Panamanian bank in SCCT has to be the best though, I reckon.
Hell, I quite liked Blacklist too, even though it's quite different to classic SC.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i only played chaos theory which was super cool. you only get to use the move where you prop yourself against two walls with your legs and arms a couple times but it was still really cool. that seems like something that would never work irl

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

ArfJason posted:

i only played chaos theory which was super cool. you only get to use the move where you prop yourself against two walls with your legs and arms a couple times but it was still really cool. that seems like something that would never work irl

it must work. they wouldnt just make something up and put it in a video game like that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ArfJason posted:

hahah yeah, I remember that too. Like, the guys Fisher faces-off against must have super bad tunnel vision, to not immediately spot his legs in their peripheral vision :D

I also remember some of the interrogations from SCCT, now that I think about it. Like questioning that National Guardsman in New York, and he immediately thinks you're there as some kind of training officer, so Sam just rolls with it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apropos to nothing posted:

it must work. they wouldnt just make something up and put it in a video game like that.

Lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ArfJason posted:

when i was in 5th grade i did something similar in the little doorway to my classroom, shimmying myself all the way up and keeping myself up there through the tension of pressing my legs and hands against the walls of the outer doorway. i held this until my teacher immediately spotted me from the little window above the door.
he yelled at me to get down from there but with how high i had climbed i was too scared to just drop down so they had to get the janitor to bring his ladder to come get me.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

when i was in 5th grade i did something similar in the little doorway to my classroom, shimmying myself all the way up and keeping myself up there through the tension of pressing my legs and hands against the walls of the outer doorway. i held this until my teacher immediately spotted me from the little window above the door.
he yelled at me to get down from there but with how high i had climbed i was too scared to just drop down so they had to get the janitor to bring his ladder to come get me.

lmfao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

hahah yeah, I remember that too. Like, the guys Fisher faces-off against must have super bad tunnel vision, to not immediately spot his legs in their peripheral vision :D

I also remember some of the interrogations from SCCT, now that I think about it. Like questioning that National Guardsman in New York, and he immediately thinks you're there as some kind of training officer, so Sam just rolls with it.

I liked the guy who thinks ninjas are real and super cool and thinks fisher is one so hes too busy nerding out to be afraid of him

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

fire brigade turning up full lights and sirens with 3 trucks to get a 38 year old man down from a tree while his wife stands at the bottom waving a brand new collectors edition call of duty begging him to come down

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Omao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

fire brigade turning up full lights and sirens with 3 trucks to get a 38 year old man down from a tree while his wife stands at the bottom waving a brand new collectors edition call of duty begging him to come down

Climbing up tree to understand miyamoto better and being stuck for the 5th time this week

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

STONE COLD 64 posted:

sam fissure

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Lmao thank you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lol. anyway I think thats how you're supposed to climb cracks. i did it on a 5th grade trip to donner pass. which is basically a big gravel field with boulders and some lovely scrub oak bush and pine trees cuz it's a glacial plain above the tree line. anyway there was a big 30 foot tall boulder with a big crack and while a loser normal kid could climb up from the sloped side around back, I went up the middle crack like Lara Croft and had hideously skinned and painful palms for the rest of the week.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I did this when I was 6 and broke my arm lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

STONE COLD 64 posted:

trying to jack off posted:

ArfJason posted:

Climbing up tree to understand miyamoto better and being stuck for the 5th time this week

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
FYI Styx Master of Shadows is a cool and fun stealth video game. It's $1.99 on Steam right now.