Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The MSJ posted:

You forget to mention that the original Marvel comics also exist in the same universe as Marvel characters (originally Earth-616 but they have retconned it to an alternate universe).

There's even a reference to the Marvel Godzilla comics, which means it is canon that Godzilla can fight Trypticon

Modern crossover comics include Ghostbusters (with toys), Star Trek (with no toys BUT the Enterprise transforms!), Back to the Future (with toys iirc), zombies, Mars Attacks, and more recent Marvel crossovers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The back to the future comic tie in was loving awful. I didn't even expect much.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

A lot of you are saying Beasties wrong. :canada:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Best intra-corporation crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXAfUOMITQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God those effects loving suck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Ghostbusters crossover was fun, they introduced a Transformer who's basically giant robot Egon (and who turns into the ECTO-1, naturally) and Optimus Prime got a Ghostbusters makeover.

Apparently they also made a Ghostbusters My Little Pony.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

God those effects loving suck

Yeah, that shot screams "there's no way this was ever going to look good so let's just do what we can and get it out the door". There's not really much they could do about it though. He's clearly holding an actual gun prop in the second and third shots, so they at least had reference for what it should look like, but doing the transformation in the shot like that would always necessitate him pretending to hold something. The only way they could have realistically gotten it to look right is if they did a full CG takeover of his arms & hands and animated them to be holding the props correctly, but there's no way they were going to put that kind of money into a four second joke shot that they didn't even care about enough to make sure he was consistently holding a donut in every take.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like someone could make an indie movie where someone had some sort of nanobot transformable matter but by default anything it made looked like floaty shakey flat shaded low poly cgi so it would be some like, gritty sci-fi but everyone is driving around in playstation one cars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like someone could make an indie movie where someone had some sort of nanobot transformable matter but by default anything it made looked like floaty shakey flat shaded low poly cgi so it would be some like, gritty sci-fi but everyone is driving around in playstation one cars.

Honestly would be nice if more movies would embrace low-budget CGI sfx, especially if they used practical effects as best they could. Like, for the M16-to-Rainbow-Dash effect have a transforming prop. Working around limitations makes some of the best creative works.

Zoids comes to mind again, a franchise that blended CGI and 2D animation to actual good effect, mostly through scale but also simply because they put in the work to pull it off and play to the strengths of each style.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

happyhippy posted:

I think it was the first to use multiple light sources and shadowing. Could be wrong,

Spot the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

I always liked the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfq-fwOWH2U

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly would be nice if more movies would embrace low-budget CGI sfx, especially if they used practical effects as best they could. Like, for the M16-to-Rainbow-Dash effect have a transforming prop. Working around limitations makes some of the best creative works.

Zoids comes to mind again, a franchise that blended CGI and 2D animation to actual good effect, mostly through scale but also simply because they put in the work to pull it off and play to the strengths of each style.

I’d be down but I’m putting the TF shot down because it costs a billion dollars and should be better.

Honestly after PG I say embrace stop motion again.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://youtu.be/YsuRKQIfljM

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm still gobsmacked that Michael Bay, who for all his faults is normally obsessive about making his films look good, signed off on that shot. I mean, have the guy hold something, even if it's just a stick with tennis balls on each end, rather than miming juggling a jellyfish or whatever the hell he thought he was doing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kind of dig the 90s FMV look. I might have to check that out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Casimir Radon posted:

I kind of dig the 90s FMV look. I might have to check that out.

all it's missing is the psygnosis logo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

I'm still gobsmacked that Michael Bay, who for all his faults is normally obsessive about making his films look good, signed off on that shot. I mean, have the guy hold something, even if it's just a stick with tennis balls on each end, rather than miming juggling a jellyfish or whatever the hell he thought he was doing.

I figured it was probably at least partially intentional given that the film is about soulless replacements

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

VFX are never bad on purpose (unless they're diagetically bad as an example of Bad VFX in the world of the movie). There are times where certain shots are intentionally de-prioritized or given less resources to focus on more important shots, which is what I'm guessing happened here. And for as much of an rear end in a top hat as Bay's reported to be about getting quality work, I'm guessing that even he was willing to let a lovely looking (and potentially Hasbro mandated) My Little Pony gag slide through in order to spend money on stuff that actually mattered.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the TF movies are so FX heavy I imagine they had to prioritize.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ron Perlman is reprising his role as Optimus Primal in Rise of The Beasts. He previously voiced the character in the animated series Power of The Primes.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Ron Perlman is reprising his role as Optimus Primal in Rise of The Beasts. He previously voiced the character in the animated series Power of The Primes.

"Transfomers. Transformers never change."

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"Transfomers. Transformers never change."

But... transforming is in the name :confused:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That third picture looks like poo poo

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1409867918255525900?s=21

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

But... transforming is in the name :confused:

I just wanted to be funny and riff on the war never changes line. :negative:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"Dinsdale!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Unfortunately I think the only way to get around it looking so unrealistic would be to have the dog be less, well, red.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For a second I was confused because I thought there had just been a live-action Clifford movie with Lee Pace a few years ago, but I was thinking of Marmaduke.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Payndz posted:

Unfortunately I think the only way to get around it looking so unrealistic would be to have the dog be less, well, red.

Also a bit less big. Possibly a bit less dog.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I want to see a cut of this that's just the extremely creepy stand-in they used for the CG dog on set

https://twitter.com/SlamsFist/status/1331332358335832067

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Should have just fleshed that thing out into a full blown animatronic

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Just repurpose that old Jurassic Park T-rex animatronic. It already sniffs things it's curious about, chews on anything rubbery, chases anything that runs away from it until it gets bored, and anything it DOES catch it shakes like a terrier with a rat. Just put some red shag carpeting on it and it's a big red dog

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

MacheteZombie posted:

I think shooting it like the OG Pete's Dragon would have been interesting and looked less like this nightmare

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Barry Convex posted:

I want to see a cut of this that's just the extremely creepy stand-in they used for the CG dog on set

that honestly doesn't look as f'd up as it could have been

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

that honestly doesn't look as f'd up as it could have been

It looks like something IKEA would sell.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I can practically hear the shrill shrieks of the children watching Clifford now.

I love dogs, I remember reading this story as a kid, but that gigantic uncanny-valley thing looks wrong in ways my powers of observation cannot fully articulate.

It's like seeing a dead person for the first time all over again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

It looks like something IKEA would sell.

Clïffjørd

MacheteZombie posted:

*flames shoot out of every pore*

Burning man druggies: :aaaaa:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I like it’s following the rule that the plot of every cgi remake of every childhood thing is the thing having to be in New York now. Kids love their childhood favs being in New York.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like it’s following the rule that the plot of every cgi remake of every childhood thing is the thing having to be in New York now. Kids love their childhood favs being in New York.

*camera dollies out. Clifford was on top of the World Trade Center*

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

I've got a tiny bit of the phobia of holey stuff and boy that thing is hosed up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Pennywise: "You should eat less Vegetable, and more...SWISS CHEESE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vegetable posted:

Freud scribbling furiously in his grave.