Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah if you've ever been in a cab with a driver who's got a Bluetooth headset and seems to be having a constant bored conversation the whole time, barely acknowledging you when you get in and leave, it's likely his wife on the phone for the aforementioned reason. Idk why it's common but it's a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Jonny 290 posted:

can we all agree that these were the absolute worst ones

the fact that these still exist is just so incredibly dumb. why yes i want something bigger than wired headphones, with all of the sound quality of wireless.

just polluting all online shopping search results

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jonny 290 posted:

they remind me of the cab drivers that have to stay on the phone with their wives all day to keep convincing them that they're not out cheating on them lol

i always thought this was the case, but i felt weird about the assumption. i could never understand how anyone could have such a boring/nonsense open phone call going forever

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

playsforsure

microsoft dropping playsforsure, making the content unplayable

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Giant CRT monitors with huge bezels with plenty of room for stickers and pins, with a nice flat top with room for all your tchotchkes and caffeine drink containers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i had to keep my crt tops clear of poo poo because my cat had firmly staked out that area as his own

I’d argue the fall of the CRT has probably been the hardest on the feline world

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

seeing 1600x1200 in the monitor preferences and wondering what kind of king or millionaire could ever own such a luxury

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it's real. back when i lived on the road i would just use lyft/cabs to get everywhere rather than getting a rental car. it was usually african / middle east immigrant dudes

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

seeing 1600x1200 in the monitor preferences and wondering what kind of king or millionaire could ever own such a luxury

back around 2005 i had a dell 2001fp, and for a brief time was king poo poo of nerd mountain. that was a good-rear end monitor.

funy tech poo poo: that dell lcd replaced a beat to poo poo gateway-branded 17" trinitron that had probably been lugged to a few too many LAN parties. holy gently caress that was a dramatic improvement.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

back around 2005 i had a dell 2001fp, and for a brief time was king poo poo of nerd mountain. that was a good-rear end monitor.

funy tech poo poo: that dell lcd replaced a beat to poo poo gateway-branded 17" trinitron that had probably been lugged to a few too many LAN parties. holy gently caress that was a dramatic improvement.

summer 2004 my work monitor was a Sun 19" Trinitron that had started to go a little dark and hard to read, and yet work was too cheap to replace it when I asked

I go on vacation for a week, I come back to find one of these 2001FPs on my desk instead. Office mate tells me while I was gone the monitor suddenly made a really loud electrical sound and then started smoking, so I was finally given a new monitor

I had coworkers who only half-jokingly asked me what I did to make my CRT spontaneously combust so they could get a new one too, because apparently that was the only sure-fire way to get a replacement request approved

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
im using two of those 2001FPs right now

good-rear end tech poo poo i just remembered: the sony CPD-G400. 19", 1600x1200, 85Hz. i was king poo poo when i had two of these in high school. still the nicest monitors ive ever owned.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Scope posted:

Giant CRT monitors with huge bezels with plenty of room for stickers and pins, with a nice flat top with room for all your tchotchkes and caffeine drink containers.

i stuck a digital watch with a busted strap on one to know what time it was quickly in fullscreen games lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

I got a 20 inch 1680x1050 LCD in 2004 and a couple of my friends gawked and said it was the biggest computer monitor they'd ever seen.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

referring to bytes as "octets"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I got a 20 inch 1680x1050 LCD in 2004 and a couple of my friends gawked and said it was the biggest computer monitor they'd ever seen.
hell yea that was when i got my 2005FPW, which lasted me another 11 years. i still see people using those

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Sweevo posted:

referring to bytes as "octets"

«je pleure en français»

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah if you've ever been in a cab with a driver who's got a Bluetooth headset and seems to be having a constant bored conversation the whole time, barely acknowledging you when you get in and leave, it's likely his wife on the phone for the aforementioned reason. Idk why it's common but it's a thing

my friends and I joked they were running sex chat lines

Programmer Humor posted:

microsoft dropping playsforsure, making the content unplayable

I wanna say that I remember getting some prompt in win media player about this and it went and removed the DRM on existing tracks. It only worked if you played them though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Raluek posted:

good-rear end tech poo poo i just remembered: the sony CPD-G400. 19", 1600x1200, 85Hz. i was king poo poo when i had two of these in high school. still the nicest monitors ive ever owned.

if i could find a gdm-fw900 for not a million dollars i’d go pick it up right now

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i had to keep my crt tops clear of poo poo because my cat had firmly staked out that area as his own

I’d argue the fall of the CRT has probably been the hardest on the feline world

My chubby bub has realized that the tower is hot too when I play video games, so she rests herself there next to me. I can give her rubs as she makes grumpy noises about them but also doesn't move and purrs loudly and gets upset when I stop.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hell yea that was when i got my 2005FPW, which lasted me another 11 years. i still see people using those

oh poo poo that was a thing for a couple years, the big choice between standard or widescreen.

i, being an intellectual of sophistication and good taste, went with the 4:3 2001fp over the 2005fpd :smug:

i think the generation of monitors after that they still had 16:10 and 4:3 20" screens but most people started going with widescreen by then, the 4:3 may have even cost a bit more at that point (or just wasn't on sale as often)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

now remember that the apple cinema display 30” came out at that time too, seeing one of those irl was a game changer

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah im on a 34” now I think I was most productive on 2x 20” 4:3

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

now remember that the apple cinema display 30” came out at that time too, seeing one of those irl was a game changer
as soon as i saw one of those in the store i knew i had to have it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

full glossy screens

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

why can't i buy a 30" 2560x1920 4:3 drat it!?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a sarnsung 20" 5:4 in a rack chassis. it takes up like 10u and it's glorious and still works perfect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeah im on a 34” now I think I was most productive on 2x 20” 4:3

a 34" 21:9 is almost exactly the same area and proportions (16" x 12" x 2 versus 31.5" x 13.5") but on a single screen. it's better.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i gave away a perfect flat 27" trinitron on my move before last and really regret it now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mediaphage posted:

if i could find a gdm-fw900 for not a million dollars i’d go pick it up right now

if you're negotiable on the 'f' part, i have three of them in my garage i need to get rid of

they're the sun version, but i have the 13W3 adapters for them too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raluek posted:

hell yeah a friend has mine now and its still awesome

it’d even do 1880x1440

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Sony GDM-FW900

a 24in CRT that most people ran at 1920×1200 but that could run at up to 2560 horizontal

I know a couple folks who had them, but recycled because they couldn’t find new homes for those enormous beasts

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

eschaton posted:

Sony GDM-FW900

a 24in CRT that most people ran at 1920×1200 but that could run at up to 2560 horizontal

I know a couple folks who had them, but recycled because they couldn’t find new homes for those enormous beasts

i did and i dont regret it for even one second

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

hell yeah a friend has mine now and its still awesome

it’d even do 1880x1440

not at 85Hz, though, and i sure couldnt tolerate the flicker at lower refresh rates for very long

one of mine lost one of the colors and the other one was starting to go out (i think it would pop and go black sometimes? it's been like a decade so i dont remember exactly) and i still regret getting rid of them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Crt televisions never bothered me but for some reason computer CRTs always made my eyes water like crazy. I pretty much sucked it up and dealt with it from 1995-2005. Once LCDs became commonplace I never experienced that again. I have no idea what caused it. I've never needed glasses or anything so I really am perplexed as to what was doing that.

Like right now in my mame cabinet I have a 25" crt low res arcade monitor and I don't experience that at all. But if i dug up a computer crt my eyes would feel like I rubbed sandpaper on them after about twenty minutes. Wtf was the cause of that? Refresh rate or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's from the x-rays getting shot at your eyes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

white screens on crts were the worst flickery garbage. I had to go to 75 or 85hz before it didn’t bother me. 60hz was unusable for me.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

white screens on crts were the worst flickery garbage. I had to go to 75 or 85hz before it didn’t bother me. 60hz was unusable for me.

I was a lot of people's hero because I could offer to make their monitor not-painful to look at

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

klosterdev posted:

I was a lot of people's hero because I could offer to make their monitor not-painful to look at

You knew where the 'On' switch was.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

klosterdev posted:

oh did u stop posting for a while? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:rackem: