Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
unrelated but wiggins’ flesh colored turtleneck is horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

should have seen this coming given how much total gassed poo poo was going on in the leadup stage races

The Pogacar crash was just someone not braking in time. It wasnt a lost front wheel or anything as simple like that, some guy just didnt stop in time and took them all out. Roglic too seemed to just suddenly get bulged sidewards like people weren't paying attention to riders drifting back. loving gakked out of their minds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

The Pogacar crash was just someone not braking in time. It wasnt a lost front wheel or anything as simple like that, some guy just didnt stop in time and took them all out. Roglic too seemed to just suddenly get bulged sidewards like people weren't paying attention to riders drifting back. loving gakked out of their minds.

the arms race that started in about 2013-ish of GC teams fighting the leadout trains for road position is a big part of this. that poo poo has to stop, you can't make a rule about this but the GC teams really need to get together and agree to de-escalate that poo poo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a proper weird one, he's already rotating before he looks to have hit anything.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

paddyboat posted:

unrelated but wiggins’ flesh colored turtleneck is horrifying

The effect is really completed by his protruding nipples

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't think anyone sane would hold it against the peloton to take an easy one tomorrow lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Roglic is going to have to go on the attack which is going to be fun to watch

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GC times look absolutely insane

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i don't think anyone sane would hold it against the peloton to take an easy one tomorrow lol

Its going to be another stupid one for sure. Time trial on Wednesday after all so it will be full fuckin crazy.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Roglic is going to have to go on the attack which is going to be fun to watch

If he can he looked super cut up :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The effect of all these crashes will make them even more nervous tomorrow and with the time losses already the GC teams will be even more aggressive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do we have a list of DNFs yet? Haig?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Madiot is on French TV furious about the finish routing. He's one of the biggest traditionalists in the sport, so if he's pissed, well...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Do we have a list of DNFs yet? Haig?

Ewan did his collarbone it seems

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nothing about the roads looked that bad to me? The road surface looked good, they were wide enough for racing, there wasn't much road furniture.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Marc Hirschi is behind Froome in GC. What the hell is going on with him? In the crashes?
E: forgot he crashed on day 1, seems way off the pace now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

peanut- posted:

Nothing about the roads looked that bad to me? The road surface looked good, they were wide enough for racing, there wasn't much road furniture.

I think the main concern was the narrow descent into town where the Pogacar crash happened

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

They were narrow and it was a descent so it was very fast, but yes they weren't super treacherous if the riders weren't so aggressive.

But fundamentally there was not enough room for everyone, especially if they were making stupid mistakes like simply not slowing down and crashing into the arse of the guy in front.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
looks like Ewan tried to sneak around sagan before that corner and touched a wheel

https://twitter.com/tweeternorm/status/1409536231793475584?s=21

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the main concern was the narrow descent into town where the Pogacar crash happened

Yeah that corner looked pretty tricky, although de Gendt just made the point that even an 8km time cutoff wouldn't have helped because all the crashes (apart from the final sprint) were over 10km out.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ewan and Haig DNF

Cav to win in paris by virtue of being the last sprinter left

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

They were narrow and it was a descent so it was very fast, but yes they weren't super treacherous if the riders weren't so aggressive.

But fundamentally there was not enough room for everyone, especially if they were making stupid mistakes like simply not slowing down and crashing into the arse of the guy in front.

Also the narrow roads motivate constant fights for road position by both the sprinters teams and the GC teams which means they go through there really aggressively

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Marc Hirschi is behind Froome in GC. What the hell is going on with him? In the crashes?
E: forgot he crashed on day 1, seems way off the pace now

He might be saving himself for the break stages.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thomas dislocated his shoulder and only lost 30 seconds

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
So what is going on, does this new slovene sauce everyone is on by now also negatively affect your vestibular system or something

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

cgfreak posted:

So what is going on, does this new slovene sauce everyone is on by now also negatively affect your vestibular system or something

Everyone wants to be at the front and there isn't enough space for all the sprint trains and GC teams

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Carapaz surviving does spice up the GC a bit at least

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They all look pretty shaken up over Ewan. Cav especially.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Back in the day before finish bottles got really cracked down on they were also all high on painkillers coming into the finish which was not known for helping with judgment

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

peanut- posted:

Carapaz surviving does spice up the GC a bit at least

Trust me when I say that an Ineos rider getting gifted time on a sprint stage does the opposite of spice up the GC

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Bad day to transfer Ewan into my fantasy team

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Back in the day before finish bottles got really cracked down on they were also all high on painkillers coming into the finish which was not known for helping with judgment

The tramadol days were something else.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

The tramadol days were something else.

That was cool because you would see people do stupid poo poo and ride off the road on non-sprint days too. I can not believe that was allowed for so long.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That was cool because you would see people do stupid poo poo and ride off the road on non-sprint days too. I can not believe that was allowed for so long.

I was thinking about that today actually because it was just so different. Literally have people just ride onto the verge and drop into the drainage ditches and be really confused how they got there.

One of my cycling mates was at a stage of the tour where there was a crash in the last 10k and he ended up with a bottle from it. Said of course he had to try it and it nearly blew his head off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I was thinking about that today actually because it was just so different. Literally have people just ride onto the verge and drop into the drainage ditches and be really confused how they got there.

One of my cycling mates was at a stage of the tour where there was a crash in the last 10k and he ended up with a bottle from it. Said of course he had to try it and it nearly blew his head off.

Tramadol caffeine highball baby

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really understand the riders now saying they wanted the stage neutralized at 8km to go though. If you want that, the big teams should neutralize the race themselves like Jumbo did on stage 1 last year. You can't be battling the sprint trains for road position and then complain.

In fact I remember this exact thing happening when CSC neutralized the race at the 2010 tour one year.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 28, 2021

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Sagan was getting pretty pushy in the final 1k. Looked like Ewan tried to correct after a Sagan bump which forced him to touch wheels. I'd put that on Sagan.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Withnail posted:

Sagan was getting pretty pushy in the final 1k. Looked like Ewan tried to correct after a Sagan bump which forced him to touch wheels. I'd put that on Sagan.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
The bump came from Ewan trying to force Sagan off his line behind Merlier’s wheel. Ewan then wound up half-wheeling Merlier on the right and getting chopped when Merlier launched his sprint on the inside of the corner - I don’t see how you put that on Sagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
MVDP having to thread the needle through the crash at the line.
https://i.imgur.com/k2SkZTG.mp4
He slows down when he sees Sagan and Ewan drop, and doesn't get chopped by the rider running wide. Then immediately decides to follow Ala along the barriers while it's still not 100% clear where Sagan's bike is gonna land. at the moment MVDP passes, it ends up being a 2 rider width, but still dicy.