Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think he is still using magic, basically. His weird genie lamp is made out of the same material as the Central Battery I am pretty sure. That swerve into Sci-fi in the late 50s really left Alan Scott in a weird place.

You know, I recently grabbed the Justice Leage: The SIlver Age collection, and the Lantern Ring is basically just loving magic, like, check the Amazo story, it's some hilarious bullshit. That swerve probably didn't need to leave Alan Scott so out of place. I like Skwirl's idea that the Central Battery is technology so advanced it's basically tapping into magic and Alan Scott is doing it the old way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Splint Chesthair posted:

In his first appearance, Alan’s power battery was an oil lamp just like Aladdin’s before he turned it into a lantern.

That kinda rules. Does current Alan Scott still have a weakness to wood?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

That kinda rules. Does current Alan Scott still have a weakness to wood?

He better. Having a magic ring that grants wishes only to be stopped by Sportsmaster with a baseball bat is his defining rivalry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Batman only being the second scariest motherfucker in the sector after a dude whose name is "Sinestro" probably keeps Batman up at day.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
There’s a book from the 80s or 90s where someone explains why he’s weak to wood. I think it involves the first lantern that went to earth and… China? I’ll look it up tomorrow if this doesn’t trigger someone’s memory.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Quotey posted:

There’s a book from the 80s or 90s where someone explains why he’s weak to wood. I think it involves the first lantern that went to earth and… China? I’ll look it up tomorrow if this doesn’t trigger someone’s memory.

Yeah, here's a summary from Wikipedia

quote:

Green Lantern vol 3 #19 attempted to retcon Alan Scott's origin and power ring to accommodate the changes made by Crisis on Infinite Earths. In this story, Alan's ring originally belonged to a Green Lantern named Yalan Gur, who was so favored by the Guardians of the Universe that they removed the yellow impurity from his ring (which the Guardians deliberately placed in all the GL rings to limit their power and could be removed at their discretion). However, Yalan Gur abused his power and interfered with the inhabitants of ancient China. The Guardians then substituted a weakness for wood that allowed the local peasants to successfully attack and mortally wound Yalan with simple wooden clubs. Yalan flew into the sky and raged against the Guardians. His body burned in the atmosphere, becoming the green metallic meteorite that ultimately became Alan Scott's lantern. Yalan's spirit also possessed the metal, promising death in his rage and life when he realized his mistakes (the first two prophecies of the green metal, which were fulfilled). When Alan received the lantern, the spirit directed Alan to create the power ring and persona of Green Lantern, complete with the ring's weakness to wood.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

catlord posted:

I don't quite remember the specifics, but yep, DC screwed them over and it's bullshit.

I would have loved to see De Liz and Dillon do a take on the New Gods after Wonder Woman. A Lightray series? The Forever People? I dunno, but it would have been amazing.

iirc, the rumored reason for it was that one of the creators tweeted something disparaging about the announcement of the Odyssey of the Amazons miniseries, and DC editorial was quite unhappy about that. there may well have been more to it than that, of course

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Bleeding Cool (I know, I know) said something about there being friction between DC editorial and Dillon specifically, and seeing as they're a husband and wife team, they can't really tell her to ditch him and do it with Jordie Bellaire or someone instead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC literally put out a statement saying they cancelled the second volume because of comments that Dillon had made. Which is a drat shame as Legend was super well written and beautifully illustrated. Probably one of my favorite pieces of Wonder Woman media ever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For those wondering, Odyssey of the Amazons sucked hard.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

On the one hand, De Liz and Dillon would've crushed any number of stories about Amazons, and the competing take DC backed stank.
On the other hand, don't talk poo poo about your boss/employer in a public forum as yourself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Publicly making GBS threads on a Grant Morrison book seems like a good way not to get more work at DC. Whatever your opinion on the book, it's pretty clear DC has a very good working relationship with them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I thought Infinite Frontier #1 was really good! I really liked having the ground-up civilian perspective of a universe resetting.

I also got a kick out of "Just get the Flash." "Which one?" "Barry Allen." "Which one?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Checkmate was OK.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Checkmate was OK.

A bit of a mess too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I thought Infinite Frontier #1 was really good! I really liked having the ground-up civilian perspective of a universe resetting.

I also got a kick out of "Just get the Flash." "Which one?" "Barry Allen." "Which one?"

I'm definitely more into this than Metal and Heroes in Crisis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Infinite frontier is very good. A lot of DC books are very good right now. They are embracing the legacies and the absurdities. This is some of DC at its best.

It means sales will tank and it will all be rebooted by December. :sigh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just want Robin's shonen tournament arc to finish in peace.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Speaking of good DC books. Strange adventures #11 is out this week isn't it?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I just want Robin's shonen tournament arc to finish in peace.

I found his fight in the final pages to be really weird. He appears to be winning until he's shown getting tripped and then uselessly tossed off a cliff?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Speaking of good DC books. Strange adventures #11 is out this week isn't it?
Nope.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Strange Adventures slipped a month so issue 11 is coming out on July 28th. Though I'm not sure what this has to do with good comics coming out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's better than Rorschach, at least.

I don't know why I keep reading Rorschach.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I liked the Roy Harper reveal at the end of Infinite Frontier.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Edge & Christian posted:

Strange Adventures slipped a month so issue 11 is coming out on July 28th. Though I'm not sure what this has to do with good comics coming out.

I was being hyperbolic.

Is the comic well received elsewhere? I'm curious if everyone else is tired of tom Taylor's shtick too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Tim Tebow's Miracle Man still has a lot of people liking it but I don't know if anyone likes his Rorsharch or Injustice League books anymore (I am being hyperbolic)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Edge & Christian posted:

Tim Tebow's Miracle Man still has a lot of people liking it but I don't know if anyone likes his Rorsharch or Injustice League books anymore (I am being hyperbolic)

I guess heroes in crisis really burnt toni's fan base. Too bad I like his marvel zombies.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I was being hyperbolic.

Is the comic well received elsewhere? I'm curious if everyone else is tired of tom Taylor's shtick too.
There were elements of Strange Adventures that I thought were towards the better end of Tom King's writing skillset, but the last issue threw those in the dumpster, so I'm having difficulty holding out hope for it going forward.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Fallen Rib
I see Batman/Catwoman has been delayed for a bit. I'm trade waiting it and seeing how no one in this thread has claimed it is the worst thing ever written by that hack I actually have high hopes for it. I found his Batman run wildly uneven but one thing I did enjoy was his Batman/Catwoman stuff (despite all the "Bat/Cat" dialog)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

I see Batman/Catwoman has been delayed for a bit. I'm trade waiting it and seeing how no one in this thread has claimed it is the worst thing ever written by that hack I actually have high hopes for it. I found his Batman run wildly uneven but one thing I did enjoy was his Batman/Catwoman stuff (despite all the "Bat/Cat" dialog)

It's almost indecipherable. It's trying to tell a story over three time periods at once but there's no clear delineation at times so you don't know what's taking place at what time. It's a mess, and it isn't saying anything new about any of the characters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Was it delayed to remove the oral sex scenes he had planned?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

It's almost indecipherable. It's trying to tell a story over three time periods at once but there's no clear delineation at times so you don't know what's taking place at what time. It's a mess, and it isn't saying anything new about any of the characters.

The past and present stuff, yeah. The future stuff is pretty obvious because it’s old Selina going on a revenge spree.

It’s alright so far. Nothing great.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

So far the biggest motivations for Batman/Catwoman existing seem to be

1) Phantasm! She's CANON
2) Did you know that most famous Christmas carols are public domain????

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I definitely think Heroes in Crisis took Tom King's reputation from, "a trail-blazing voice turning tired characters into blisteringly relevant dramatic powerhouses! Mr. Miracle/Vision is revolutionary work!" to "oh, he wrote an overhyped event where the Flash killed a bunch of B-listers with machine guns, he's actually just a comics writer like any other". It seems to have stolen the fire right out from under his burgeoning fanbase.

I don't even necessarily think he's a bad writer, it was just proof that he could write a truly wretched story, and for some people that was enough to rob Prometheus.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don’t judge a writer by their event books. His Batman run turning into a meandering mess was enough to show that his writing has limits.

I haven’t been keeping up with his current output besides Batman/Catwoman, and even that I’m not really digging much, but I’m all about Supergirl: Space Western.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Heroes in Crisis was certainly the blackest mark on his timeline, but I can and will constantly remind everyone that I thought King was overrated all the way back when he was miswriting Kyle Rayner in Omega Men and all the way up to when he wrote the most mind-bogglingly lovely Booster Gold in Batman. :wooper:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I really enjoyed the booster gold arc of his Batman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That Booster arc is wretched. People were already joking about his tendency for character assassination before that and then he poo poo that out on the page.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm surprised Kyle Rayner escaped the "actually this person is a terrible and broken monster that you shouldn't like at all" thing that King has done with just about every other character he's written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, his Vision run is entirely based on writing Vision as BEEP BOOP ROBOT MAN which wasn't really the character's characterisation before that point, it feels like his whole thing is taking rectangular pegs and pushing them through square holes, and sometimes the peg is smaller than the hole and it works.