Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm pretty sure the massive overridingly recognised consensus is that if you had zero inflation you're gonna completely poo poo the bed on your economy because you're incentivized to only buy what you need right now as any investment in a physical good is basically tying up money that would otherwise appreciate. Anyone that's living close to hand to mouth is never able to get beyond basic subsistence

like the entire paradigm of raising capital investment just breaks completely, the only thing that works in terms of paying for infrastructures is essentially running a centralised dictatorship that tithes its citizens or enforces total control over usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

i'm glad people are coming out to show their condolences...oh, wait, they're posting that their buttcoin holdings are worth more now? who could have foreseen that a bunch of sociopaths would harp on their own wealth huh

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hammerite posted:

david "assisted-living noise boy dracula of Wikipedia" gerard

Be nice to DG, now; his latest blog post has a really solid take on the Lightning Network that is stripped down but also tells exactly the problems with just how stupid and convoluted the whole process is.

LN is just plain dumb!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

like even trying, the only thing close to an argument I can come up with is that inflation increases prices while wages stay stagnant. except that's not something inflation's doing, it's something capital's doing. if we had a deflationary currency wages would almost definitely magically stop being stagnant and go down, completely coincidentally I'm sure

Every time I see someone talking about deflation as a good thing, I remember my high school social studies teacher literally saying "I know you think that deflation sounds good, but..." before explaining why it's bad in like 5 minutes.

It's not even a child's understanding of economics since all the literal children, myself included, understood why it was bad. It's the economic understanding of the pathologically incurious.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

It's the economic understanding of the pathologically incurious.
and yet it's good for bitcoin. curious!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Blockchain company pairs up with struggling Tour de France cycling team, and has possibly stiffed them on a three-million euro investment in the team

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/qhubeka-nexthash-and-questions-over-financial-stability/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

tbf a lot of progressives get confused about the "evils of inflation" talking points as well

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

bitcoins disappearing is kinda tricky to evaluate - there's no external driver for any given price of bitcoin (except maybe some temporary limits imposed by cost to mine 1), so it's hard to say why the number in circulation decreasing would have an impact at all.

Like company shares pay a dividend in dollars, demand for even minor currencies is generated from taxes and real economic activity, used plastic bottles can be deposited in those recycling machines. Drugs and other sorts of crime are the closest, but I suspect that's all actually done in local currency with very short lived exposure to BTC, if it hasn't already moved to stablecoins

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

PotatoJudge posted:

Blockchain company pairs up with struggling Tour de France cycling team, and has possibly stiffed them on a three-million euro investment in the team

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/qhubeka-nexthash-and-questions-over-financial-stability/

that three-mil stiff was to another company, skillsmatter, and is cited as a reason to be wary about this sponsorship's viability

but yeah, struggling cycling team, keep looking around for other funding, because crypto checks might get lost in the mail

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
less bitcoins in circulation making the price go up really only works when it's a fixed supply. currently there's ~900 coins made a day, which is nearly 30 million dollars worth. and even if the mining were to stop there's no way of knowing if those millions of dead butts are never going to move again

oh well, i'm not going to stop bitcoiners from killing each other if they think it's the right thing to do

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

bitcoins disappearing is kinda tricky to evaluate - there's no external driver for any given price of bitcoin (except maybe some temporary limits imposed by cost to mine 1), so it's hard to say why the number in circulation decreasing would have an impact at all.

Like company shares pay a dividend in dollars, demand for even minor currencies is generated from taxes and real economic activity, used plastic bottles can be deposited in those recycling machines. Drugs and other sorts of crime are the closest, but I suspect that's all actually done in local currency with very short lived exposure to BTC, if it hasn't already moved to stablecoins

drugs and crime moved off bitcoin a long-rear end time ago because it's too unstable, unreliable, and not actually anonymous

if they touch bitcoin at all it's very briefly, in the process of converting real money to a somewhat more useful crime coin

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the real reason why butts getting locked into wallets with unknown keys doesn't matter is that no meaningful amount of them were never ever going to leave those wallets anyway.

bitcoiners don't actually spend anything, they just sit on their hoards. the only practical difference between the wallet of a living bitcoiner and a dead bitcoiner is the former doesn't have someone being insufferable about it on Twitter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hammerite posted:

I looked up "noise boy" and according to goog it's a purple japanese samurai robot

has david gerard been hyperbitcoinized into a robot without telling us?

stop spreading FUD

Futuristic
Uchigatana
Deathblows

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

the only tour de france blockchain that matters

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I just keep imagining the bitcoin guy jumping into the ocean and immediately being swept out to sea with a "Mario falls into a bottomless pit" scream. "Uuwaaaaaghh!"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

wait wait has anyone said 'i bet he wouldn't have got into trouble if he'd used a tether' yet?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

the only tour de france blockchain that matters

Man, that dude with the sign has an immaculately punchable face.

I'm glad France dissapeared him.

Shifty Pony posted:

the real reason why butts getting locked into wallets with unknown keys doesn't matter is that no meaningful amount of them were never ever going to leave those wallets anyway.

bitcoiners don't actually spend anything, they just sit on their hoards. the only practical difference between the wallet of a living bitcoiner and a dead bitcoiner is the former doesn't have someone being insufferable about it on Twitter.

I don't have anything to add to this, but I wanted to acknowlege the greatness of the second paragraph there.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so what you're saying is that if someone were to kill a bitcoiner and hack their twitter account to keep posting moon memes no one would ever realise

the perfect crime

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

wait wait has anyone said 'i bet he wouldn't have got into trouble if he'd used a tether' yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCL75wWYDDo

i guess you could say he had

liquidity problems

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

i guess you could say he had

liquidity problems

bitcoin: out of his depth in a highly liquid market

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

at least his house isnt underwater

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Paladinus posted:

Hm... It seems like the most sensible thing to do if we want the best for the world is to start killing bitcoiners one by one. Each death will bring us one step closer to the ultimate freedom.

Satoshi's Vision

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jonny Nox posted:

Man, that dude with the sign has an immaculately punchable face.

I'm glad France dissapeared him.

it's a woman

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

it's a woman

but they were disappeared by the secret french bike cabal?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mods

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I like this one or "be your drowned bank" for continuity.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I don't want to give the impression that bitcoin is actually a liquid asset so please also consider 'his portfolio is now deep underwater'

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

pan's labyrinth sequel looking cheap

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

remember not to eat anything

*bites hammer*

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
pictured: auditing technique approved by tether, inc

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Axe-man posted:

plz be sure to imply you had a bitcoin and drug fueled orgy, k thnx

my life is a nonstop nocoin fueled orgy, it's not special enough to note

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Boxturret posted:

pan's labyrinth sequel looking cheap

still frightening for children

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/3f56ef7bef22f0c8c94ad7e401d50b188dae2cbe

not sure if this is how youre supposed to check for overflow

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s hilarious to me that a language like solidity with built-in reasonable semantics for exceptions doesn’t make overflow throw

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A man drowned, stop with the water puns already.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

A man drowned, stop with the water puns already.

Now you're doxxing people too? And dead ones at that??

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i mean, as long as it's capped at whatever the max value is, it seems fine. either way, it's good for bitscoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

i mean, as long as it's capped at whatever the max value is, it seems fine. either way, it's good for bitscoin

yeah after taking a second look i realized it wasn't a strict inequality but by then my post had cleaned out all my funds on the lightning network