Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I just watched the overhead once, it looked to me like Sagan took Ewan off his line a little and when Ewan tries to correct back to the left he catches Merlier's wheel.

Watching it again, Merilier going to the right probably had more to do with it than Sagan.

https://i.imgur.com/jlfeSUC.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sagan owes Ewan's rear wheel a watch for saving his skin on that slide.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Withnail posted:

I just watched the overhead once, it looked to me like Sagan took Ewan off his line a little and when Ewan tries to correct back to the left he catches Merlier's wheel.

Watching it again, Merilier going to the right probably had more to do with it than Sagan.

https://i.imgur.com/jlfeSUC.mp4

If you go back a little further, I think Sagan was securely on Merlier's wheel, and Ewan was barging in trying to knock him off. Your own front wheel is 100% your own responsibility, so from my POV this crash is on Ewan.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Agree that you are responsible for your front wheel. Just realized Merlier stopped pedaling also which didn't help.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well I picked a great day to not be able to watch

So I'm caught up and those professional bike riders really need to get better at riding bikes imo

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Anyone in the market for a quick gander at Sagan's butt?

https://twitter.com/BORAhansgrohe/status/1409776204144652288?s=19

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lachlan has finished stage 4 and is now doing the transfer to stage 5. He should be in Paris in under 10 days at this rate.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Apparently the riders union is planning a strike after yesterday's events but it's not clear what exactly they will be doing (likely waiting for 1 min after the start and then starting off really slowly).

David Lappartient on the other hand has gone on record saying the course and roads were absolutely perfect and it was all because of too much nervousness in the peloton. Prick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the riders should have neutralized the stage yesterday. Looks bad to complain about crashes when everyone saw you st the front pushing hard to put time into a crashed GC rival.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Shop steward greipel has got them to stop.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Who was the DNS?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Half of the guys appear to be pissing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Have they communicated any demands or is this just a generic 'yeah that was bad please do something about it' protest?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vando posted:

Have they communicated any demands or is this just a generic 'yeah that was bad please do something about it' protest?

Sounds like it was having the 3km threshold moved out to 5km/8km (can’t remember which) and ASO agreed but the commissars said no.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I seem to recall something similar a few years back when they were protesting the roads being too slippery or some poo poo. I wonder if there will be a call to end mountain stages after Ritchie Porte inevitably rides off a cliff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There are 3 groups of riders trying to push their way through in the tour - the sprint teams, the gc teams and the minor teams who need sponsor time to avoid going out of business. 2 groups is fine (compare with the vuelta where there's just the first two), removing the GC squabbles is the best way to do that because the other two will never stop.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nobody is forcing the GC teams to push themselves to the front in case they get to push the pace hard if a rival crashes. This is why the peloton had leadership in the past, to stop this kind of poo poo from happening.

E) like we literally saw at stage 1 last year that a race favorite team is entirely capable of shutting the race down if it's too dangerous

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nobody is forcing the GC teams to push themselves to the front in case they get to push the pace hard if a rival crashes

They don't even need to push the pace, you get the benefit from just not being behind a crash. There's a reason that Thomas, Yates etc are being called dumbasses in this thread for poor positioning.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also the last mass crash was at 9.5km so I don't think moving the time cutoff to 8km would help.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They don't even need to push the pace, you get the benefit from just not being behind a crash. There's a reason that Thomas, Yates etc are being called dumbasses in this thread for poor positioning.

Same thing, isn't it? Everyone is too tempted by the prospect of getting GC seconds so instead of a big team stepping up and telling the peloton to cool it off, we get GC teams pushing the pace dangerously hard, getting a minute on one of the race favorites, and then complaining to the media that people crashed. Like, no poo poo people crashed, you set an insane pace through a technical section, all while body-checking each other for road position, got the peloton split and GC time you wanted, and then complain that you got exactly what you wanted!

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 29, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The only way to avoid it is to declare "sprint stages" that have no GC impact at all, because moving the cutoff just moves where the stupid riding happens.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

cgfreak posted:

Apparently the riders union is planning a strike after yesterday's events but it's not clear what exactly they will be doing (likely waiting for 1 min after the start and then starting off really slowly).

David Lappartient on the other hand has gone on record saying the course and roads were absolutely perfect and it was all because of too much nervousness in the peloton. Prick.

I mean he's right tbf. Not a single crash yesterday was due to the course, it was all down to rider error.

They all knew the descent was there and they all decided to try going through it 6 wide. Thats a decision that the riders and DS in the car made. The GC teams could have backed out and left space for the sprint trains. Lotto Soudal and Quickstep were on the front from 30k to go but they had 4 GC teams next to them for that entire period.

Thomas crashed due to inattention.

Roglic crashed because he tried to push past a Sprint train and ran out of road.

Pogacar crashed because a rider didn't use his brakes.

Ewan crashed because he overlapped his front wheel having a row with Sagan.

Unless you're going to do something like take GC times from 30k out it won't change.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vando posted:

The only way to avoid it is to declare "sprint stages" that have no GC impact at all, because moving the cutoff just moves where the stupid riding happens.

No, it's for the teams and their DSs to grow a brain and tell their guys to take it easy into technical sections instead of screaming "go to the front, go to the front".

Every stage should count. This is a race across France, not a W/Kg contest where only mountains are deemed to be "real cycling". Non-mountain stages have been marginalized enough.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, this was completely ignored yesterday but you will never guess who won the garbageman consolation sprint for 18th place.

No seriously, guess.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Feels Villeneuve posted:

No, it's for the teams and their DSs to grow a brain and tell their guys to take it easy into technical sections instead of screaming "go to the front, go to the front".

Every stage should count. This is a race across France, not a W/Kg contest where only mountains are deemed to be "real cycling". Non-mountain stages have been marginalized enough.
Yeah for sure, it's just that the teams are never going to chill out with this stuff so this is what you'll end up with if they aren't going to take responsibility themselves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

By the way, this was completely ignored yesterday but you will never guess who won the garbageman consolation sprint for 18th place.

No seriously, guess.

Was it.....Michael Matthews?

Vando posted:

Yeah for sure, it's just that the teams are never going to chill out with this stuff so this is what you'll end up with if they aren't going to take responsibility themselves.

Most of the team leaders for the Giro got taken out by crashes and we've already seen all of the GC contenders for this race hit the deck and some have already gone home. If we get a year of the GC teams top guys scraping their skin off on the sides of the road this might start to change. Its all well and good being at the front but can you imagine how Roglic is going to feel in the time trial tomorrow? If he doesn't crash and instead just gets held up because he's at the back he doesn't lose 90 seconds and doesn't ship even more time in the TT because of his injuries.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

Was it.....Michael Matthews?

It was either him or GVA

(yes)

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Feels Villeneuve posted:

E) like we literally saw at stage 1 last year that a race favorite team is entirely capable of shutting the race down if it's too dangerous

Even that got ignored by Astana until binman Lopez did that crazy karma skid across the width of the road to crash into a mailbox or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foPnGBy9iPc

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The issue is never going away until all the teams give up on the idea that they're perfect geniuses who will only benefit from chaos not suffer from it, so the issue is never going away.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
MvdP sits pretty far back for a man in Yellow. I guess he's not part of the train today?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly, the acceleration to get from the rear of the pack to the front would barely register.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Countdown to the stupid crash.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's still the usual casual barging.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm glad Cav is at the Tour but I hope he hurries up and wins a stage so Carlton and Sean can talk about literally anything else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They could be on a 6 lane motorway and they'd still be barging.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

I'm glad Cav is at the Tour but I hope he hurries up and wins a stage so Carlton and Sean can talk about literally anything else.

Sean Kellys entire commentary this tour has been about Mark Cavendish or Sam Bennett.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Reeling in the break and getting the sprint trains lined up is definitely going to cause some dumbass stuff to happen.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The elbow flick is actually code for “attack now”

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Van Moer has got this I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
just lol if they gently caress this up