Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is how I find out The Oscar is on Blu-Ray.

I'm not sure I want to own it, but then again I'm not sure I don't...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Miracle Mile, Blue Collar, and Crooklyn are all bangers. Anyone who tosses those onto their cart will not regret it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Jokes on y'all, Kino don't ship to Australia so I'm forced to save money ahahahahhah :(

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I have to stop reading this thread because now I have a copy of A*P*E on blu-ray coming to my house.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Really good assortment of titles for the Kino sale, especially with inclusion of Cohen and Raro stuff. Really makes me look forward to how they’re going to handle Milestone since there’s some big titles that have been stuck on DVD forever (I Am Cuba, Killer of Sheep, US editions of It Happened Here and Winstanley).

Given that Kino Lorber now takes up the most shelf real estate in my collection after Criterion, here’s what I’m tentatively picking up:

Amazon Women on the Moon
A*P*E (I think it’s the only KL 3D title I don’t have now)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (corrected discs with the Arrow 4K master confirmed)
Coming Home (only 70s Ashby besides Shampoo I don’t have)
The Delicious Little Devil (always up for rare silents)
Hangmen Also Die (always up for Lang)
The Hot Spot (Dennis Hopper doing neo-noir? Hell yeah)
Jazz on a Summer’s Day (I love these 50s-60s live concert films)
Runaway Train (wanted to see this for the longest time)
Sudden Fear (seems like a great noir thriller with Joan Crawford and Jack Palance)
Two Men in Manhattan (always up for more Melville)
Variete (want to see more German silents)

Some I’m on the fence about:

The Emerald Forest (mainly interested because it’s John Boorman)
Hell in the Pacific (same, Boorman + Marvin + Mifune)
The Front Page (Wilder adapting the Hecht play with Lemmon and Matthau seems amazing, but seems like it’s a mixed film)
I’m Gonna Git You Sucka (looks fun)
In God We Trust, The Last Remake of Beau Geste (curious to see what Marty Feldman’s films as director look like)
The Lodger (Heard good things about the ‘44 Fox film)
The Man Who was Sherlock Holmes (Kino has been putting out a lot of Nazi-era films and this looks interesting)
A Married Woman (Godard is all over the place to me, but this seems essential)
Murder by Decree (Bob Clark directs a Sherlock Holmes movie? Interesting)
The Oscar (sounds like a terrible movie)
Son of Paleface (Bob Hope doesn’t really seem that funny, but it’s a Tashlin film)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hell in the Pacific is solid, but I’m a sucker for “foes become reluctant allies” movies and I’ll watch just about anything with Mifune in it, so ymmv.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve blown more than enough money lately so I’m gonna sit this one out.

Anyone know if the Shout version of Brotherhood of the Wolf is much of an upgrade from the weird Korean release?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I want to at least pick up The Atomic Cafe, but I'll cool off til later in the week when my paycheck comes in. I spent like $80 on Severin and $60 on Shout just this past weekend.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Runaway Train (wanted to see this for the longest time)

The John Voight movie? I haven’t seen that in forever.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I spent way too much money on Severin and I bought a bunch of the VS Partner Label titles recently so I'm tapped out for a while.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hate this "hobby"

*orders more stuff*

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You’re saying y’all haven’t taken out a loan to buy movies? Pfft, amateurs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Liar Lyre posted:

You’re saying y’all haven’t taken out a loan to buy movies? Pfft, amateurs.

Smart movie collectors kill people for money and/or sell organs. :smug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I ordered the The Howard the Duck UHD steelbook. I am well aware of my issues.

To be real though, I only buy stuff that I like in some way. If I was buying multiple copies of Sandler movies and never watching them that would be concerning.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I ordered the The Howard the Duck UHD steelbook. I am well aware of my issues.

To be real though, I only buy stuff that I like in some way. If I was buying multiple copies of Sandler movies and never watching them that would be concerning.

I've started buying some classics and stuff I've seen but mostly stick to blind buying weird stuff from the boutique labels. It's fun getting mystery trash.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That "hey, we'll break your payments up into small chunks" thing PayPal is pushing is insidious but at least now I have a Christopher Lee box set and Blood for Dracula on 4K to show for my bad decisions.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

It's fun getting mystery trash.

:hai:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i mostly upgraded some godard stuff i already owned in SD. and also Barton Fink + Mad Max 4K

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

That "hey, we'll break your payments up into small chunks" thing PayPal is pushing is insidious but at least now I have a Christopher Lee box set and Blood for Dracula on 4K to show for my bad decisions.

I've had to fight off the urge to use that too much

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Do you need a credit score to do that PayPal thing? Asking for a friend.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Runaway Train is one of my favorite movies. I just love how it starts really terribly and ramps up to become this movie that has you gripped and emotionally drained, but in a really good way. I will recommend that movie to everyone.

I got it during the last fake, but Ash is Purest White is another one from Kino/Cohen that I would recommend. It's a fascinating film about a man and a woman in a gang. She goes to prison because she tried to save him, and when she gets out, he has a new girlfriend. And it's about their relationship and how things fall apart and come together again.

And there's more YMCA by the Village People than I was expecting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Do you need a credit score to do that PayPal thing? Asking for a friend.

I dont think so but I have never pushed the button to try it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I might get dumb and grab something from the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale though. Every time I think about In the Heat of the Night I wonder why I don’t own it. Maybe a Wes Anderson movie too since I like them but don’t own any.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I might get dumb and grab something from the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale though. Every time I think about In the Heat of the Night I wonder why I don’t own it. Maybe a Wes Anderson movie too since I like them but don’t own any.

I just grabbed In The Heat of the Night from the VinSyn sale for like $12. Blind buy for me.

I'm gonna go stupid on the Criterion sale. I have most of the box sets I want, and it'll depend on what BN's got in stock, but I'm aiming for Bunuel, Memories of Murder, Being There, maybe WKW Box. We'll see!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Franchescanado posted:

I just grabbed In The Heat of the Night from the VinSyn sale for like $12. Blind buy for me.

You mean In the Cold of the Night, right? Still fantastic movie though :v:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

You mean In the Cold of the Night, right? Still fantastic movie though :v:

Yes, apparently I am!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Criterion is for noobs. Just lol if u aren't buying from some niche label with like 3 movies in their catalog. Just lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

Criterion is for noobs. Just lol if u aren't buying from some niche label with like 3 movies in their catalog. Just lol

Normal brain: buying the Breakfast Club Criterion from Best Buy

Galaxy brain: buying a burned blu of vintage industrial animated shorts from Thunderbean’s half-broken site

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I know AGFA isn’t super obscure, but I do delight in owning shot on video weirdness on Blu-ray. That new one with backyard ninja action should be in my mailbox when I get home.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

I know AGFA isn’t super obscure, but I do delight in owning shot on video weirdness on Blu-ray. That new one with backyard ninja action should be in my mailbox when I get home.

Scary Tales is such a charming shot on video flick. Really enjoyed it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

:same:

I ordered that one and Mail Order Murder, considering I checked the box for them to ship with my next subscriber drop, I wasn't expecting it until next month so I'll be watching that one in the next week or so.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Casimir Radon posted:

Have they announced the start of that yet?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

My copy of War of the God Monsters arrived just the other day

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don’t know if the sale has actually been announced. Sounds like they didn’t do it last year due to logistics issues.

MacheteZombie posted:

Hey gurl, wanna come over and watch a movie where the guy who voiced Frosty the Snowman cooks people in his microwave? What’s a restraining order?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Casimir Radon posted:

Don’t know if the sale has actually been announced. Sounds like they didn’t do it last year due to logistics issues.

They did the sale last year. I know because I got Bruce Lee's Greatest Hits and The complete Tati.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Casimir Radon posted:

Hey gurl, wanna come over and watch a movie where the guy who voiced Frosty the Snowman cooks people in his microwave? What’s a restraining order?

I watched that the other day. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. 10/10

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How does he fit them in the microwave? Microwaves are too small!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

How does he fit them in the microwave? Microwaves are too small!

The answer may surprise you!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

Labels? Pffffft, I only buy movies from a guy that lives in a dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

Labels? Pffffft, I only buy movies from a guy that lives in a dumpster.

Harmony Korine initially planned to distribute Trash Humpers by leaving copies at bus stations and flea markets around the country. But eventually decided to do a traditional release so he could make money off it. Which reveals that Harmony Korine is a coward.