Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

It's so drat good with just bacon and apples. Make sure you dice the bacon or it cooks badly. I do olive oil, s&p, and a few good shakes of crushed red pepper. If it needs "something" at the end, give it a splash of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.

Hell yes! Thanks I’m trying that this week!

I’ll pair it with a fat rear end steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Normandy Blend at 425 for 16-18 minutes. I put doil and foil and spray PAM on it. After words I season them with steak seasoning. I enjoy them more than I ever should.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Normandy Blend at 425 for 16-18 minutes. I put doil and foil and spray PAM on it. After words I season them with steak seasoning. I enjoy them more than I ever should.

This is exactly what I'm doing in about an hour. Although I'm going to try Old Bay on them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That Normandy Blend is a life saver. Fantastic quality, good mix and well priced. If you are looking to just add more veggies to your lifestyle, you can't do any better.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's hot

Costco was a mistake.

I caved and grabbed the two pack of dutch ovens though. And some bath towels. But my ice cream is probably all melted.

Told my wife the Dutch ovens are my birthday present so no need to get me anything now. Tired of getting garbage on my birthday, time to go full dad mode and just start buying my own.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I've just been microwaving the Normandy and adding salt and pepper and Mrs Dash like a simpleton.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is exactly what I'm doing in about an hour. Although I'm going to try Old Bay on them.

I'll be doing this instead. I always forget about Old Bay.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Renegret posted:

It's hot

Costco was a mistake.

I caved and grabbed the two pack of dutch ovens though. And some bath towels. But my ice cream is probably all melted.

Told my wife the Dutch ovens are my birthday present so no need to get me anything now. Tired of getting garbage on my birthday, time to go full dad mode and just start buying my own.

Good choice. And they are legit. I made a couple nice loaves of bread in my big one so far. It's a little hot to make much more, but I'll cook up a bunch this fall.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm starting to get into pan sauces and poo poo and I'm tired of being unable to whisk in my pots since I mostly own nonstick cookware. I do own a cast iron skillet but it's in a little rough shape and it's so unwieldy that using it is a production sometimes.

I found myself wishing I had one more and more lately for various things. Probably going to break it in with a deep fryday

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Price of beef is way up. My strip loin today was over $11.50 per pound.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Renegret posted:

I'm starting to get into pan sauces and poo poo and I'm tired of being unable to whisk in my pots since I mostly own nonstick cookware. I do own a cast iron skillet but it's in a little rough shape and it's so unwieldy that using it is a production sometimes.

I found myself wishing I had one more and more lately for various things. Probably going to break it in with a deep fryday
I broke mine in by lining it with bacon and baking that until it was rendered and crispy. Then I combined the fat from that with enough shortening to fry 3 chicken fryers in pieces and two pints of gizzards, livers, and hearts. I made bacon gravy with the bacon pieces.

I haven't made fried chicken that good before or since and you really, desperately need to do it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cast iron and enameled dutch ovens are great, but also you can buy a silicone whisk for your nonstick.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

FogHelmut posted:

Cast iron and enameled dutch ovens are great, but also you can buy a silicone whisk for your nonstick.

similarly, you should not use metal utensils on enameled dutch ovens since you can scratch up the enamel. silicon whisks or wooden spoons are best.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also wash your cast iron with soap. If your seasoning comes off, you did a poo poo job seasoning. Just don't let it soak overnight or something like that.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

FogHelmut posted:

Also wash your cast iron with soap. If your seasoning comes off, you did a poo poo job seasoning. Just don't let it soak overnight or something like that.

:stare:

Son we gotta talk

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

low key sex master posted:

Son we gotta talk

They're right.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Agreed

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
They're right but also don't assume that they're right wrt someone else's cast iron. You can wash your own iron but you can't wash someone else's. You don't know what they need from their cast iron. You could be destroying years of perceived flavor.

But seriously wash your cast iron carefully with good soap. It's gross if you don't.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yep. Really hate all the stupid poo poo people spread about cast iron. You can wash them with soap and water just fine without losing the seasoning.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

low key sex master posted:

Son we gotta talk

Go look and see exactly what Lodge says how you should clean your cast iron. You won't like it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lmao if someone washes the rancid oil off your "seasoned" cast iron then your biggest problem isnt your buddy doing your dishes

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I had a guy slap me in the face for washing his disgusting cast iron skillet. People who misunderstand the whole seasoning thing REALLY misunderstand it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fizzymercury posted:

I had a guy slap me in the face for washing his disgusting cast iron skillet. People who misunderstand the whole seasoning thing REALLY misunderstand it.

I assume you weren't holding the skillet at the time because you aren't in prison right now

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have bad aim when I'm laughing at people acting ridiculous.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT I'LL HAVE TO DO TO GET THAT FLAVOR BACK?!?"

Yeah Seth. You'll have to cook some bacon and eggs in it and then leave it to get rancid for a week.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh lol people think "seasoning" isn't a protective layer of polymerized oils, but rather literally old food flavoring your new food.

I wash my 1930s era Griswolds in the sink with soap and water. They're as slick as my non-stick.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 29, 2021

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Lmao if someone washes the rancid oil off your "seasoned" cast iron then your biggest problem isnt your buddy doing your dishes

We splurged a few years ago and had cleaning ladies come and clean our house as a present to ourselves. One of them put my 10in cast iron skillet in the dishwasher and ran it before I knew what was happening. I opened the dishwasher well after they had left and noticed my new rust iron pan. I have since restored it to it's former glory, but gently caress me, that was frustrating at the time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

El Jebus posted:

We splurged a few years ago and had cleaning ladies come and clean our house as a present to ourselves. One of them put my 10in cast iron skillet in the dishwasher and ran it before I knew what was happening. I opened the dishwasher well after they had left and noticed my new rust iron pan. I have since restored it to it's former glory, but gently caress me, that was frustrating at the time.

My brother-in-law put my Henckels in the dishwasher. He doesn't recognize non-Cutco knives.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

FogHelmut posted:

My brother-in-law put my Henckels in the dishwasher. He doesn't recognize non-Cutco knives.

Ouch. I have cutco knives and I don't even put them in the dishwasher.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Maybe I’m missing something here, but what about a hefty tri-ply stainless steel skillet/saute pan? They’re perfect for pan sauces and like a whole bunch of other cooking.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Honestly steel is the best but also the steepest learning curve wrt deglasing and not getting food to stick. I'm happy with nonstick and silicon cookware

Makes doing the dishes easier, especially if you're like me and can't afford an apt with a dishwasher

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BadSamaritan posted:

Maybe I’m missing something here, but what about a hefty tri-ply stainless steel skillet/saute pan? They’re perfect for pan sauces and like a whole bunch of other cooking.

good stainless steel pans are amazing. i dunno if costco ever carries the heavy hitter brands like all-clad though

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Peaches are back, but we bought some I.M.Ripe peaches and had to cut off part of every peach and most of them seem like they were ripe a week or two ago. Some needed to be thrown away entirely.

There was an apple in a plastic clear box of envy apples that was completely rotten, that gross dark green colour when the rest were bright green. (edit: so I didn't buy any apples, because jesus christ)

redreader fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 29, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

good stainless steel pans are amazing. i dunno if costco ever carries the heavy hitter brands like all-clad though

They do, they have the 5 ply set at my local one. I got the kirkland stainless set with a copper inset or whatever for like 1/3 the price though and I am very happy with those. They clean up really easily even with the baked on crap I have subjected them to.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

priznat posted:

They do, they have the 5 ply set at my local one. I got the kirkland stainless set with a copper inset or whatever for like 1/3 the price though and I am very happy with those. They clean up really easily even with the baked on crap I have subjected them to.

The ones I got immediately warped, tons of people complain about them doing that on Costco's reviews for those pans too. I ended up buying

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tri-ply-14pc-cookware-set-by-tramontina/prod24931907

And have been extremely happy, no warping. Get some barkeeper's friend to bring it back to a brilliant shine when it gets discolored

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ll keep an eye out for warping but nothing yet! I use the big wide flat one with the lid a lot, it’s great for the 3 ingredient mac and cheese from seriouseats that the kids love.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Weirdly enough the cast iron pans actually help you get iron in your diet. This really matters especially for us women.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

please see your doctor if you think you have an iron deficiency. do not go buy a cast iron skillet from costco for that lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You're not supposed to eat the pan

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You can also chew on nails for the same effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Trastion posted:

You need to get the Costco credit card. Save yourself even more time because it is also your Membership card and you don't have to insert it to pay, just tap it to the top of the CC machine while they are still scanning your items. The receipt usually prints before they can tell you the total you already paid...

Also the gas pumps now have tap to pay so you save time there too. Tap and it does both the membership and pay part all at once.

I now go to my local CO for gas Friday Morning on my way into work. Never have to wait in line and it takes me 5 minutes to get my gas. Good for the weekend, usually.

I have nothing against tap to pay, but if you don't have time in your life to take a card out of your wallet you are going to have a heart attack in your forties.