Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
:toxx:
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Red Metal posted:

You ever notice how some summons drop items that you have to use before you can summon them? I don't know why that is, but that doesn't mean I can't make a :toxx: out of it!
I pledge $3 for every summon item (Ramuh, Catoblepas, Golem) in your inventory at the end of the game, and an additional $5 per run if you have a Summoner in your party (max $150)

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

(11)

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

(Siren)

(The Poison Breath incident)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

(Flamethrower + Fire Rods)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subujun
Mar 31, 2010

https://twitter.com/subujun/status/1409307401858191361

Second run down. Had what was probably the easiest fiesta run I've ever had. Plenty of insta-kill or status moves, AOE, and heals to go around. Even Geomancer was alright since the PC version rolls the high level Gaia moves while at low levels. After the Berserker-fest, I kind of don't feel like grinding anymore so I'm passing on Omega again. Ended in the mid-twenties with this team. I was disappointed to find out that leveling up the enemies doesn't work in the PC version, so I could only level 5 death a few fights.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

subujun posted:

https://twitter.com/subujun/status/1409307401858191361

Second run down. Had what was probably the easiest fiesta run I've ever had. Plenty of insta-kill or status moves, AOE, and heals to go around. Even Geomancer was alright since the PC version rolls the high level Gaia moves while at low levels. After the Berserker-fest, I kind of don't feel like grinding anymore so I'm passing on Omega again. Ended in the mid-twenties with this team. I was disappointed to find out that leveling up the enemies doesn't work in the PC version, so I could only level 5 death a few fights.

And that's a 3rd Matrix win!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.
Toxx cap: $100

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).

This was a twofer, !gaia windslash (after having a bitch of a time keeping everyone balanced and eating a meteor/comet angry flexdeath) and obviously the corpse of zerky. No gif since I wasn't TRYING to do these but you can see Faris's ATB at the lowest and what else was I going to do with a geomancer in the void?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

FeyerbrandX posted:

This was a twofer, !gaia windslash (after having a bitch of a time keeping everyone balanced and eating a meteor/comet angry flexdeath) and obviously the corpse of zerky. No gif since I wasn't TRYING to do these but you can see Faris's ATB at the lowest and what else was I going to do with a geomancer in the void?

Well, they do make a passable chassis for the Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe if you don't feel like letting your Berserker use either of them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I was going to go for that NED KOs toxx but my urge to run the numbers was too strong.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

White wind on krile + aegis shield saved my rear end so many times

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, they do make a passable chassis for the Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe if you don't feel like letting your Berserker use either of them.

True, but then I'd be fighting pissed off solo 2 action NED and hoping the axe doesn't miss.

(also I just decided gently caress it and gave everyone equip ribbon so I could lock down everything but condemn, dead and zombie from grand cross)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
How do I leave the fork tower? No cabin spaces means my physical team can't do the leveling needed to beat minotaur

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

you MIGHT be able to use Teleport? It'd technically be illegal, but nobody here'd care. Minotaur isn't too bad though, as long as you take it slow. Most of his attacks are counterattacks so just sit back and heal the moment you need to.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.

FeyerbrandX posted:

But wait, there's more!

10 bucks per new player who clears NED. Limit $250 (they don't need to be in the original 50, just someone who has a clear player page but a star on their 2021 run.)

I started a few up in the past, but never actually cleared one, marking 2021 as my very first. Dunno if it counts but hey, figured I could give it a shot. Looking forward to a second run! :toot:

EDIT: ah, doesn't show 2021, 2020 was an attempted run, but never got to world 2 even, marking 2021 still as my first ever completion. I'd understand if that doesn't count though.

FlamingRok fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 28, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Drunk Nerds posted:

How do I leave the fork tower? No cabin spaces means my physical team can't do the leveling needed to beat minotaur
Die. The game deliberately doesn't have a save point inside the tower.

Unless your only savestates are inside the tower, then, yeah, cheat.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

They actually do have time mage iirc, so teleport would in fact be kosher if it works.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Alright, time for our update on the Legendary Weapons toxx!

As of now, we've had 225 weapons sold, I believe! What a great collection of legendary weapons. I'm sure the pawnbroker will be killing NED any second now.

A small programming note:

MagusDraco posted:

First run of the year is finally over. White Mage/Berserker/Samurai/Berserker

While I appreciate the thought, the Artemis Bow and Beast Killer are not actually legendary weapons. So you'll only be getting credit for 11 legendary weapon sales. Which is still a lot!

As it turns out, the most-sold legendary weapon is Sasuke's Katana, sold a total of 25 times. Poor Sasuke, nobody wants his katana unless they rolled Samurai. The most popular weapon, which everyone wants, is unsurprisingly the always-handy Assassin's Dagger, sold only 8 times; in second is the Rune Axe, beloved of riskers everywhere, sold 11 times.

The toxx is still open, so keep selling those legendary weapons!

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Arrrthritis posted:

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).

Not bothering to raise party members that can't do Zeninage

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Arrrthritis posted:

Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Rosalie_A posted:

Alright thread. It's time to talk about overpowered abilities. You know the ones. They can make or break a run. You get three Thieves and despair and then roll a Samurai and go "lol guess I'm throwing money at everything".

But what if you didn't? There's jobs that have so much to offer that have stuff that never gets appreciated. Maybe it's time to take a new look at some of them, and cast your mind back to when you were young and didn't know about the internet letting you know what was really good or not.

Thus, here's my :toxx:: $1, up to $20, for any instance of the following, with a comment (your choice as to the length) on how you thought it changed the game:

-Samurai without using !Zeninage.
-Chemist without using !Mix.
-Ranger without using !Rapid Fire (the menu command. Hayate Bow is fine).
-Red Mage without using !Dualcast.
-A write-in of your choice where a defining or powerful ability for the job is left unused. I just mention those four above because you're not defaulting to a bad Freelancer if you hold back. I'll accept any good faith effort on this, in case you want to do a Bard without !Sing or something for whatever reason.

These do add up, if you wanted to do multiple in one run, but if you don't want to give up !Dualcast on your one Red Mage in a sea of money-hoarding Samurai I won't judge (but those three Samurai would each count).

Anyway, the intent here is to just appreciate other abilities on offer, with a slight incentive to do so. Having done all of those myself, I think you'll be surprised as what you find when you take the power off the table (hint: Chemist? Still busted).

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, here's a more radical :toxx: that I'm going to add on top of my last one.
Number Go Up
Recommended: Thief, but not Samurai
Complete the game without spending any money (which includes using !cointoss).

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402681856152248324

Putting these two together! So I did a no shops/no inns run of the game with a whole bunch of other toxxes like no running, all summons, etc. I didn't sell the legendary weapons purely because I forgot to given all the other crap in the run! But by necessity I beat the game without the Samurai's !Zeniage and I ended up in the void after using !Ianuki to farm up for Hermes Sandals, farming Elixirs in the Wind Shrine, and !Mugging Hi Potions out of the Fire Ship. Then I farted around for a while in the void farming up Phoenix Downs in the Ruins room, and then I !Mug farmed Yojimbos in the castle until I got two power sashes and a Murakumo (that I chucked at NED).

Earlier, I had !Mug farmed Twist Headbands off of the monk lookin' guys in Istory Falls to get that delicious hat slot, stole all but the Genji shield off of Gilgamesh, and for my final project:

It's a Brave Ragnarok, folks!

The game wasn't too bad after world 1. Knight was total dead weight until they got access to the ancient sword due to me not getting Thief until the earth crystal so I couldn't steal any swords for them along the way, but they picked up pretty hard after that. I farmed up 30~ Lightning Scrolls pre-Sol Cannon and used almost all of them in the ruins. I had farmed up a few Fire Scrolls to chuck at Byblos too, thankfully the Ship Graveyard can drop those.

After that, I didn't really muck around with !Throw until the end of the game where I just started whipping every vaguely sharp object at NED I could get my grubby hands on.

What really ended up being the star of the run was Samurai, even without !Zeniage they were able to hold their own and once someone got !Ianuki, they were pretty reliable about clearing entire groups of enemies at once for me. I don't think I got that until the crystals though, I certainly don't remember using it prior to them. What made the Samurai so notable was just not needing resources put back into them - almost all the best katanas are found in chests anyway, they're tanky as hell, and they have some great abilities like Shirahadori to pass onto other classes early on to give them all some survivability. I ended up finishing out everyone's jobs when I was leaving the undersea trench, which is pretty late for me.

I had the loving worst Omniscient for a while. Probably the first time for me that it took multiple hours to kill him, he just didn't want to let his Silence or Stop stick for me to stab him.

Anyway, as for how much money I had by the end of the game without shopping or throwing it at things?

Just a wee bit.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

nrook posted:

As it turns out, the most-sold legendary weapon is Sasuke's Katana, sold a total of 25 times. Poor Sasuke, nobody wants his katana unless they rolled Samurai.

Sasuke's Katana is for Ninjas :eng101:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What the gently caress!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sasuke's Katana is not, in fact, a katana in FFV terms.

It makes slightly more sense when you realize that the Sasuke in the weapons name is referring to a legendary ninja that most Japanese people will know, but still.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The translators thought we would somehow know who Sasuke was, but in the same moment, that we would not know what a tanto was.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I had saved outside the fork tower

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of the benefits of playing the PSX version: just reading "Sasuke's" and autofilling in "knife" and never getting confused about it.

Also Go Y Burns!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Y Burns, Karl Boss, Butz, Salsa...

Are there any more fun bad translations from PSX FFV?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Hellioning posted:

Y Burns, Karl Boss, Butz, Salsa...

Are there any more fun bad translations from PSX FFV?

yes

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

How could I forget dingleberry.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Third run done, I decided to try something new. Upgrade changes the way a game plays out significantly. I got Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. Black Mage/Berserker is normally a good combo but by the time i got the rune axe no one could equip axes and black at the same time. Equip Axes didn't give me enough strength for me to really care, it gave me 700 damage on twintania with a holy lance. After that it was pretty much just Black permanently equipped.

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

I promise i did not throw an antidote on lenna before snapping a rod over magisa's head

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

Probably should have sold assassins dagger and rune axe too. I ended up using a death sickle on twintania because i was pretty sure they had a better proc rate, and the rune axe just didn't deal any damage. I ended up thief knifing some old men in jail for a few hours, only managed one Dragon Lance so I opted not to try Shinryu. Lenna used a Partisan against NED when she needed to attack, mostly she was on item/black magic duty.

Tomorrow I'll probably look into randomizers and give one a go

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i did an upgrade pure chaos run this year and got berserker last

would not recommend

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

They showed off FFV in that Final Fantasy pixel collection Japanese video that was released a couple hours ago now. I thought the job sprites looked kinda bad myself but certainly not Matrix level bad. The interesting thing is that they showed all the job classes... and the GBA ones aren't there. Might not be based on Matrix mobile nor the GBA one? The battle background is closest to the mobile version but even higher resolution. Here's the images, h/t to Resetera:

Oh, I also got my sibling to start a run this year finally! It's been a crummy few days but I'm pretty happy about that! :D

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 29, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They're ports of the original versions, I believe. I know FF3 is the original Famicom version, not the DS remake.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yep. I'm still holding out hope because they only mentioned FF3 specifically and I like the GBA differences. Like I probably wouldn't bother with it even if it had other QoL features unless it was (nothing is beating a fast forward button and I already have a GBA SP anyway).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nrook posted:

As it turns out, the most-sold legendary weapon is Sasuke's Katana, sold a total of 25 times. Poor Sasuke, nobody wants his katana unless they rolled Samurai.Ninja.

Not even people who roll Ninja particularly want Sasuke's; chances are that depending on the rest of your loadout your Ninja is either using Twin Lance + Chicken Knife or Assassin's Dagger + Rising Sun. The main gauche-like effect, while nice, isn't a particularly huge boon for a job that wants battles to end very quickly.

It's not a dud like the Gaia Bell or Flame Lash, but you've got better options by the point you can get it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I used Sasuke's Katana for Shinryu. When he's berserk-killing everyone, having an extra dodge chance on hand helps, and he also has enough defense that the Twin Lance is rendered a little more useless than it ought to be.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

I used Sasuke's Katana for Shinryu. When he's berserk-killing everyone, having an extra dodge chance on hand helps, and he also has enough defense that the Twin Lance is rendered a little more useless than it ought to be.

You don't keep the Twin Lance for damage value, you keep it as a safe way to use the chicken knife. Which you really need for Shinryu, because it's a pain in the rear end to run away halfway through the fight.

But yeah, I'd grant that if you're berserk-moding Shinryu (or Omniscient) having a chance to nosell a hit is huge.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 29, 2021

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
My BLM/SMN/BST/DRG run has gotten through Drakenvale. It’s amazing how much different this run feels compared to my normal play through, being forced to use mages for most of my offense, when I normally gravitate to tanky physical damage parties in all rpgs. BLM and SMN feel a bit redundant though, since without the -aga spells I just use whatever summon hits a weakness outside of Bio weak enemies so far.

Might do a follow up run after this and job fair myself a party of the more unorthodox jobs. Maybe BLU/THF/BRD/CHM.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Action George posted:

My BLM/SMN/BST/DRG run has gotten through Drakenvale. It’s amazing how much different this run feels compared to my normal play through, being forced to use mages for most of my offense, when I normally gravitate to tanky physical damage parties in all rpgs. BLM and SMN feel a bit redundant though, since without the -aga spells I just use whatever summon hits a weakness outside of Bio weak enemies so far.

Black Mage is pretty much categorically a worse Summoner, yes. Granted, being worse than one of the top five jobs in the game isn't very damning, but when you've got them side by side it really shows. Technically Black Magic is more MP efficient on single targets, but a black mage bouncing Thundaga off of a wall ring to hit Omega is about even in DPS to just throwing around Ramuhs with the Hermes Sandals auto-haste, and everything else melts easier than that.

You'll use the -aga spells for all of three dungeons (Moore, Meatfort, and the Pyramid/Melusine) and then Syldra shows up to vomit death on everything. Literally everything. I don't think there's a boss after that point that is immune to or absorbs wind except ol' Megs.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Clearly you should be bouncing Thundaga off four wall rings instead. :smug:

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
Eh I think a lot of Sasuke's being such a popular seller isn't so much from Ninjas not wanting it as that for teams who are picking up more weapons than they're going to use, it's a priority at that point since it's one of the few that sell for 10k.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The Steam version of FF5 (and FF6) are getting delisted at the end of July, so make sure you get it now if you ever want to try a Matrix exclusive strat.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

nrook posted:

Alright, time for our update on the Legendary Weapons toxx!

As of now, we've had 225 weapons sold, I believe! What a great collection of legendary weapons. I'm sure the pawnbroker will be killing NED any second now.

A small programming note:

While I appreciate the thought, the Artemis Bow and Beast Killer are not actually legendary weapons. So you'll only be getting credit for 11 legendary weapon sales. Which is still a lot!

As it turns out, the most-sold legendary weapon is Sasuke's Katana, sold a total of 25 times. Poor Sasuke, nobody wants his katana unless they rolled Samurai. The most popular weapon, which everyone wants, is unsurprisingly the always-handy Assassin's Dagger, sold only 8 times; in second is the Rune Axe, beloved of riskers everywhere, sold 11 times.

The toxx is still open, so keep selling those legendary weapons!

Oh huh, completely missed those weren't legendary weapons in my "okay how do I paste these photos together? Ah hell just leave white space" struggle.

The intention was to sell all 12 of them since I was just using a bunch of murakumos stolen from the twintania floor and/or throwing money. Bit late to go back and do that now though. Not sure where the Holy Lance or the Sage's Staff went but if I didn't take a screenshot I didn't sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

BisbyWorl posted:

The Steam version of FF5 (and FF6) are getting delisted at the end of July, so make sure you get it now if you ever want to try a Matrix exclusive strat.

It would be cool to get a Fiesta run of 5 in with these new versions this year! They said on twitter though that the 'remakes' will be released one at a time, weird that 5/6 are getting pulled at the same time.