Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
how much iron do you think is in the avg costco dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

how much iron do you think is in the avg costco dog

5 mg

Edit: According to the government

Da Gobernment posted:

The average daily iron intake from foods and supplements is 13.7–15.1 mg/day in children aged 2–11 years, 16.3 mg/day in children and teens aged 12–19 years, and 19.3–20.5 mg/day in men and 17.0–18.9 mg/day in women older than 19.

So obviously you need to eat 3-4 hotdogs daily.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

FogHelmut posted:

Can't buy alcohol at self checkout.

Just bought alcohol at the self checkout of my local Co yesterday.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Alcohol laws vary by state. Wild I know!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
This is sum bulllshittt

* a concerned self checkout alcohol buyer

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you can buy alcohol at self checkouts here but it makes you wait for an employee to come over and look at your ID then they do a magic cheat code on the machine that let's you proceed

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I want as little human interaction as possible. Thus defeating the purpose of me shame buying another KIRKLAND SPICED RUM for the 5th time that week

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
California won't allow alcohol at self checkout but they make up for it by selling you 2L of vodka right next to the beer

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

The ones I got immediately warped, tons of people complain about them doing that on Costco's reviews for those pans too. I ended up buying

https://www.samsclub.com/p/tri-ply-14pc-cookware-set-by-tramontina/prod24931907

And have been extremely happy, no warping. Get some barkeeper's friend to bring it back to a brilliant shine when it gets discolored

I got this set but from Costco a couple months back. They’ve been great so far (and a fraction of all clad’s price).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Smugworth posted:

You can also chew on nails for the same effect

now offering the Costco brand tetanus booster

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Cast iron chat - definitely wash them properly with soap. The most important thing is don't soak them, and especially don't soak them with vinegar. Hell I have a piece of stainless chainmail that I use as a scourer when I get poo poo really baked on and can't be bothered heating it up for another quench. My seasoning is slick and hard as gently caress.

Also don't be sucked into "fancy" cast iron unless it's enamelled (and even then I don't think my lecruset Dutch oven is much better than my mum's aldi one)

Mostly as long as the casting is nice and even without flaws and it has the handle design that suits then it'll outlast your grandchildren. As a race we've been making them a long time and the technology required to make a good one is pretty basic.

My $6 IKEA cast iron pan is easily as good as my lodge pan apart from missing detailed branding on the handles - i just use the lodge one more because it's larger.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

fizzymercury posted:

I had a guy slap me in the face for washing his disgusting cast iron skillet. People who misunderstand the whole seasoning thing REALLY misunderstand it.

I’m sorry it was wrong of me to do that

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I wish I took pictures of my grandfather's cast iron skillet when I got a hold of it.

It was a wedding present when my grandparents got married and it was passed to me when they died so it's pretty special. My grandfather only used it to deep fry food and it was in real rough shape when I got it. I don't think he subscribed to the "never use soap" mindset, I think he just never bothered cleaning it properly. The entire thing was covered with such a thick layer of old grease that could hardly believe it. you know how pot handles usually have a little hold on the end of them for a hook? That was completely closed up with old layers of grease. It was so bad that when I first grabbed the handle, I physically could not let go without several minutes of trying to work soap in under my hand so it'd release from my skin. Everything that touched that skillet became fused and required a poo poo ton of work to get it to release. After about a half hour of scrubbing under soap and water I got it improved to "now it simply hurts to let go instead of being impossible". At this point I was tired of scrubbing and concerned with all the water that the okay parts of it would start to rust, so I gave it a quick wipe down with oil and threw it in the oven for it's first season (despite being far from perfect, and plenty of bits of paper towel stuck to it that I couldn't get off)

It took me a few weeks but I eventually brought that old boy back to life, and I love it dearly. It took a lot of cleaning, a lot of time in the oven, and a lot of use, and now there's no remnant of it's original condition left. It's a perfect looking cast iron skillet.

Or at least, was perfect looking, until I threw it under my oven's broiler (it was a tiny apartment!) to hide it when I had guests coming, then forgot about it for several weeks. The constant cycling of heat caused the coating on the inner sides to start cracking and peeling off. I'm fully aware that isn't the season but, still, for a while I had flakes of something cast irony falling off that was pretty dangerous to be in food. More scrubbing, oven time, and general use and it's stopped with the flaking poo poo and the bare spots have a fresh new beautiful season on, but the whole thing is uneven looking and I'm still a bit nervous to do breads, pizzas, or anything that raises up the sides. I'm tempted to grind the whole thing down with a Dremel and start it from scratch.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 29, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Renegret posted:

. It was so bad that when I first grabbed the handle, I physically could not let go .

Someone put a curse on that skillet goddamn

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Renegret posted:

I'm tempted to grind the whole thing down with a Dremel and start it from scratch.

Probably easier to either burn or chemically remove the seasoning.

A self cleaning oven or upside down in the coals of a firepit will do the job, then a light sand and a proper seasoning in the oven.
I've heard that a log soak submerged in vinegar will remove it as well.

Edit: the Reddit link below seems to say that self cleaning oven or fire might be a poor choice and the chemical methods are better

norp fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 29, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Renegret posted:

I'm tempted to grind the whole thing down with a Dremel and start it from scratch.

Please save yourself lots of trouble and use a drill attachment. These are really good for stripping cast iron down to the metal. Don't know if they sell em at 'stCo. They're silver underneath, who knew?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-Pro-4-in-x-1-in-Non-Woven-Drill-Mount-Quick-Strip-Disc-PNW040100D01G/202830913

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/CastIronRestoration/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Toss it into the fires of Mt Doom and forge it anew

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I pressure wash my cast iron biannually

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm here to season cast iron and put onions on my hotdogs. And costco is all out of onion.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Can't buy alcohol at self checkout.

Last week I bought a case of beer through the self checkout, the lady with the scanny gun spotted it right away and came and rang it in for me and did the computer magics. Yesterday, a couple was trying to buy some vodka popsicle things(?). They were definitely booze and the guy at the self checkout stopped them and took them away and said they couldn't buy them through the self checkout. Same store, so YMMV?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have nothing against tap to pay, but if you don't have time in your life to take a card out of your wallet you are going to have a heart attack in your forties.

But I do take it out of my wallet. I don't tap my whole wallet on it. And usually I am on my way to work. Also I only have about 6 months left of my 40s...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I went to church today and made the mistake of telling my wife they have tandem kayaks there for $399 so now I guess we're going back tonight and getting a tandem kayak

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

:rip: your relationship

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

I went to church today and made the mistake of telling my wife they have tandem kayaks there for $399 so now I guess we're going back tonight and getting a tandem kayak
Kayaking is what you do when you want to throw out your back and flush half a gallon of nasty river water through your sinuses at the same time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm gonna screenshot both those posts and send them to her

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

fizzymercury posted:

Kayaking is what you do when you want to throw out your back and flush half a gallon of nasty river water through your sinuses at the same time.

Sounds kinky

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are they tandem so that one person can row while the other person feeds them hot dogs?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tbf we live by Tahoe so it will be pristine lake water I'm flushing through my sinuses after I throw my back out and my wife hits me with a paddle for not turning the kayak properly

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Say it with me here, “you have to do it the same time as me! Keep the rhythm! Keep the speed!! I am! I AM PADDLING!” Just record that, attach it to the back of a single kayak, and play it on a loop while she goes out and you sip a beer

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

tbf we live by Tahoe so it will be pristine lake water I'm flushing through my sinuses after I throw my back out and my wife hits me with a paddle for not turning the kayak properly

Don't watch any of the videos of scuba divers cleaning up the trash in Tahoe.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Tandem kayaking is awesome and that poster has a lot of really wild takes so ymmv

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I thought the Costco business center near me was re-doing their food court section while they were closed to the public during the pandemic, but the nice cashier told me today that it's permanently gone. Can't be too mad though, it turns out the construction in that area was for a new employee break section.

Products-wise, we now get Waterloo seltzers alongside Polar and Lacroix, which is nice because more flavors, yay! Got a case of watermelon and a variety case with mixed berry, strawberry, and lemon-lime. Also got a box of Fat Boy ice cream sandwiches, and they are indeed pretty fat. Nothing remarkable, but the vanilla ice cream is decently rich and thick and it's got the classic chocolate "cookie" that melts to your fingertips. Oh, and the Kirkland trail mix is very good for a trashy trail mix, a good amount of cashews and almonds in the thing. I'm already regretting having the giant bag around, I need to portion this thing out or I'm gonna eat entirely too much in a sitting one day.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Tandem kayaking is awesome and that poster has a lot of really wild takes so ymmv

:question::reject:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'm gonna get my Karen on tomorrow when I go back to Costco tonight and tell them this story.

We were getting gas and I had my Costco Citi card and the attendant walked up and I said "$25 of r-" and he cuts me off and goes "REGULAR OKAY" and takes the card and walks to the pump and I was like to my wife "wow that guy is in a hurry, he knew what I wanted I guess because everyone gets regular or something?"

Anyways, the pump dings and I look back and see I've been charged $47 and it's filled my tank. The guy comes around and I say "Hey man, uh, I said $25" and the attendant was like "Bwuh?" and I was like "yeah I said $25, didn't you hear me say that? I didn't say 'fill it up' or anything" and he goes "UGH. I MEAN I DUNNO MAN I DIDN'T HEAR YOU SAY THAT, MAYBE YOU NEED BETTER COMMUNICATION OR SOMETHING MAN." and I go "uhh well I wasn't looking because I said $25 and gave you my card... so... can I get an overfill slip?" and he's just extremely pissy about it as he gets it and says "LIKE HONK THE HORN OR WAVE ME DOWN WHEN YOU SEE IT". Basically every time I go there and I say I want $25 the attendant will repeat it back to me for confirmation, but this guy never did.

I have a feeling he was pissed off that I was wearing a mask but regardless it's some shameful poo poo to blame ME for his fuckup. It's weird, Costco is known for having good customer service from its highly paid and benefitted employees who are supposed to be happier and helpful because they don't fear bankruptcy and medical bills and whatnot but at my city's Costco I've had numerous absolutely dogass customer service encounters. I hope they talk to this guy and tell him to slow down for 0.25 seconds to confirm each amount instead of just speeding by and grabbing the card, and also not to act like an rear end in a top hat and blame the members for his own fuckups.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm gonna get my Karen on tomorrow when I go back to Costco tonight and tell them this story.

We were getting gas and I had my Costco Citi card and the attendant walked up and I said "$25 of r-" and he cuts me off and goes "REGULAR OKAY" and takes the card and walks to the pump and I was like to my wife "wow that guy is in a hurry, he knew what I wanted I guess because everyone gets regular or something?"

Anyways, the pump dings and I look back and see I've been charged $47 and it's filled my tank. The guy comes around and I say "Hey man, uh, I said $25" and the attendant was like "Bwuh?" and I was like "yeah I said $25, didn't you hear me say that? I didn't say 'fill it up' or anything" and he goes "UGH. I MEAN I DUNNO MAN I DIDN'T HEAR YOU SAY THAT, MAYBE YOU NEED BETTER COMMUNICATION OR SOMETHING MAN." and I go "uhh well I wasn't looking because I said $25 and gave you my card... so... can I get an overfill slip?" and he's just extremely pissy about it as he gets it and says "LIKE HONK THE HORN OR WAVE ME DOWN WHEN YOU SEE IT". Basically every time I go there and I say I want $25 the attendant will repeat it back to me for confirmation, but this guy never did.

Get the refund because that is absolutely bullshit but I think you should maybe give up on fixing whatever is wrong with that jerk, working the pumps seems super lovely and I'm honestly thankful they even show up to work

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Maybe move out of whatever hell state doesn't let you pump your own gas.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I went to my (more or less) local Costco today (Reno), and the receipt checker at the exit was wearing a shirt that said "The Biggest Little Costco in the World", which I appreciated.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Steve French posted:

I went to my (more or less) local Costco today (Reno), and the receipt checker at the exit was wearing a shirt that said "The Biggest Little Costco in the World", which I appreciated.

Did you do any new boot goofin' in Reno that day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I bought a tandem kayak, went in it once with my wife, sold it immediately after.

Just buy two kayaks.