Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The real unnecessary greatness is dualcast !Time, because you get to do dumb Quick shenanigans.

Sure, you need to grind up both dualcast and your levels so you have enough MP to actually cast Quick a lot.

But drat if it isn't funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you're set on monk, they pair incredibly well with the drink! or mix! command. Barehand damage scales with levels and those two commands raise that 'multiplier' quite well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aw boo, there's no advantage to releasing the Lone Wolf in FFV?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nope, only disadvantages!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

multijoe posted:

I haven't got it yet but there's a respec option later in the game, but really it's stuff like 'don't level Locke's magic and vigor or he'll end up a under-powered generalist'. So far I've found as long as you commit your character to a role you can't really gently caress up too much

I did a generalist build (mostly speed, vigor, hp/mp) with Locke and he was awesome, but I think it’s actually hard to make a bad character in BNW; you just need to gear and play your characters well according to their build.

The game is harder than ff6, but it never felt unfair and I never had to grind. The mod author has a very clear intended curve that assumes you’ll fight most random encounters and be a the intended level.

The only wtf boss for me was dadaluma, who I beat with 1 hp remaining on every party member and no potions, mp, elixirs, ethers, phoenix downs, or anything else left at all. But that was actually really cool.

I used the mod’s original script, which is full of unnecessary, but not terribly obnoxious changes. There is a more vanilla option available which I would recommend.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Nope, only disadvantages!

It’s cool that they brought him back in FFVI so he could inconvenience you one more time by stealing the half MP accessory. I mean, the Golden Hairpin is really bad in FFVI cause Osmose is so good, but still, think of all the new players who fell for that trap…

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mega64 posted:

The best place to AP grind is the basement of a castle you’ll reach later that has nothing but statues/Objet D Art. They’re vulnerable to L5 Death and also weak to thunder, so a couple castings of Ramuh (or stronger lightning damage like Thunder Scrolls or Thundaga) will make AP grinding a bit faster.

You're not wrong but it's still not worth it really. A fight against two Objet d'Arts is 4 AP, a fight against five is 8 AP. The two enemy fight is more common, but even if it wasn't, at 8 AP a fight that's still 124 fights to get a 999 AP ability, and that's not factoring in having to run up to heal at the inn or save point, or buy more thunder scrolls (since you can't hold more than 99 of them, you'd need to buy 35 more at some point).

I'd probably do it for Dualcast if I had some poo poo like Thief/Red/Geo/Dragoon though.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

You're not wrong but it's still not worth it really. A fight against two Objet d'Arts is 4 AP, a fight against five is 8 AP. The two enemy fight is more common, but even if it wasn't, at 8 AP a fight that's still 124 fights to get a 999 AP ability, and that's not factoring in having to run up to heal at the inn or save point, or buy more thunder scrolls (since you can't hold more than 99 of them, you'd need to buy 35 more at some point).

I'd probably do it for Dualcast if I had some poo poo like Thief/Red/Geo/Dragoon though.

The obvious item without skill requirements also works, and is sold right in that castle rather than having to backtrack. More gil-efficient on the 2-stacks, too (though both it and scrolls are a net gain.)

On the other hand, I feel like even with the extremely long last job level, Red Mage doesn't really 'want' a grinding place. Utility caster with decent non-resource damage options is a good place to be through even later dungeons, a lot of your play is going to be governed by what spikes with the latest shop/chests but even still I'd be inclined to fill out other jobs for particular bosses in the basement and then keep RDM on for dungeon trash to work it up.

E: Being able to do the statues with no skill requirements or even having to worry about damage scaling based on your gear also means it's a good place for getting jobs that "come online" late up. A stack of the relevant item will supply 152-196 AP over 95-98 combat actions, depending on your luck with group size; that's enough to bootstrap 60-80% of the way to being able to sub !Throw, at which point you can come back and get 196 AP from it on 2-stacks and 392 AP from !Throw on 5-stacks in one sitting, enough to blast through NIN or RNG and get the sub-skill you really want from them rather than being stuck with their mediocre base active and gear options. But the real appeal is just ducking in for a few minutes to get !Control, !Mix, !Zeninage, cases where they're incomplete as even a primary job until you've put some time in. Or making up spell levels as they unlock on the character you're generally keeping as an RDM.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 26, 2021

derra
Dec 29, 2012
In the Fiesta Red is not good because of !Red or Dualcast, it’s good because it trivializes W1 and can apply a ton of debilitating statuses (Sleep, Old, Confuse, Poison, Berserk) due to its spell casting and its ability to equip swords, rods AND staves. It’s damage output fades by the end of W1 but by virtue of these weapon equips it’s still very useful to have around. I almost never end up getting Dualcast if I get it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

derra posted:

In the Fiesta Red is not good

Agreed.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm enjoying my combo of black and red mage. Toss !Black on the red mage and he can keep up in damage due to boosted magic power. Grinding out doublecast on the person I'm going to make my permanent Black Mage will be annoying, but it's not the lamest thing I've done to support a 4JF run.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Red Mage is great if you have an actual caster to supplement them with, as long as you have at least one other mage then it rules. It's when you get Red Mage with nothing but physical jobs or magic jobs that aren't casters (Geomancer and Chemist) that it has problems, at that point Red Mage just becomes "A second of the good job I have, but not as good at it." At least you can use !Red to boost zerky's magic score for Rune Axe, and I think it would raise Chemist's magic score slightly too?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

derra posted:

In the Fiesta Red is not good because of !Red or Dualcast, it’s good because it trivializes W1 and can apply a ton of debilitating statuses (Sleep, Old, Confuse, Poison, Berserk) due to its spell casting and its ability to equip swords, rods AND staves. It’s damage output fades by the end of W1 but by virtue of these weapon equips it’s still very useful to have around. I almost never end up getting Dualcast if I get it.

Not every job needs to bring a bunch of damage to the table. Many fights are won off an old proc.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1409711194093494300

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1409711897364946948

The UI is better it looks like. But the sprites still aren’t quite where I wish they were in quality.

Is that some new backgrounds in VI?

https://youtu.be/9NH4Xnp_NfA

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Disappointing Pie posted:

That battle background and them overlooking Narshe on the cliff are definitely redone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The prettiest part of the I and II remakes were always the battle backgrounds, so good to see that they're stepping the other games up to that level.

EDIT: Also, we're not gonna be waiting long for these, although prices still unclear.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1409712872800751619?s=19

Hell of a lot of replies from people who were apparently dead certain they'd have expanded to more platforms since the announcement two weeks ago.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 29, 2021

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
The VI sprites look different from the ones seen earlier. These ones have both their legs visible during their standing position. It looks better.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's gonna be rough replaying FF2 but gently caress it they got me

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If this is a remaster of 3 that's based on the original and not the horrific remake we might be finally getting a version of 3 worth playing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If this is a remaster of 3 that's based on the original and not the horrific remake we might be finally getting a version of 3 worth playing.

They've been showing the Onion Knight as the main character since the initial announcement, we've known they've been doing this the whole time.

Doesn't mean it's not good news, just means it's not NEW news.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

They've been showing the Onion Knight as the main character since the initial announcement, we've known they've been doing this the whole time.

Doesn't mean it's not good news, just means it's not NEW news.

I meant more the mechanical balancing more than I was talking about the characters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sad to see they're eliminating another female party member from the series.... maybe the erasure argument is on target 😔

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: woops goddammit

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 29, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sad to see they're eliminating another female party member from the series.... maybe the erasure argument is on target 😔

All the Onion KNights are women. Learn the lore.

jokes posted:

I went to law school with a really genuinely great and smart guy who ran for and a won a seat on the local city council 2L year. He had lived nearby his whole life and was really ingrained in the baseball scene, including coaching a little league team, said "gently caress it why not" and won.

poo poo man I don't know him but good for him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jokes posted:

That being said, you can probably get away with some guidance from a professor/helpful staff/predecessor.

I remember this part from FF8 as well

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The UI is better it looks like. But the sprites still aren’t quite where I wish they were in quality.

The sprites from 1 and 2 loot very similar in a "we used the same template for both" kind of way that doesn't seem to be the case (or as noticeable) for 3-6.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I just want them on Switch. It was made for these games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The sprites from 1 and 2 loot very similar in a "we used the same template for both" kind of way that doesn't seem to be the case (or as noticeable) for 3-6.

I think that is literally true. 1 and 2 used the exact same template for characters, which ended up being a very general basis for how they'd draw the adult characters in the SNES games (the 3 characters became the template for 'child' characters like Palom, Porom and Krile), and these sprites are essentially direct remasters of those original sprites.

The SNES sprites managed to wring out more visual distinction out of these characters with all the extra colors and sprite detail they could fit in. So their direct remaster sprites feel a lot more separate from each other, while the 1 and 2 sprites are polishing up the era of 'we can almost do two distinct male hairstyles'.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I’m most curious about 3. That had to have been rebuilt from the ground-up, right? Whereas all the other games at least had versions which which they could theoretically just swap out graphical elements.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I've gotten to the final dungeon in 3's DS remake twice, but the difficulty jump from everything previous was too huge and I felt like I got pretty far in without a save point. It was rather annoying so I stopped playing there at the same time.

I am quite excited for getting I, V, and VI.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Playing through FFV for the first time since I always heard about it cause of the job system - just got the black chocobo, I've had a peak at a job guide so I have some ideas how I want to build my characters, but I have a question or two:

It seems like I gotta keep someone as RDM for a long time to get dualcast? Is it better to get dualcast first, or skill up another caster job first? (Thinking of getting a summoner with dualcast since the guide practically suggested that would be the best use of dualcast)

What would be a good ability to put on a monk? The other melee jobs I know of don't seem to pair that well at first glace, or at least stuff like two -had or dualwield aren't going to be helpful.

e: The guide also recommended using barehanded for mages early on since it gives them good damage on basic attack, and it certain feels like my RDM is doing way more with it then they would with a sword, is there a rough point when I want to stop using barehanded besides when I need the ability slot for something else more? Stats screen doesn't really make things obvious.

Dualcast is good but it really isn't worth grinding until you reach the end game. Red mages by themselves are fairly weak unless you spend time on another mage class to give them a secondary ability, and if you do that then you might as well just keep them on that class. 999 AP is a lot and probably won't get that much until you reach the end game anyway.

Monks are good early on but they taper off pretty quickly, and unfortunately they don't have much synergy with other classes.

Barehanded for mages is kind of silly since they already have their magic for offense. Yeah it costs MP but you never go very far between resting points and you can buy ethers. And to make any good use out of barehanded you'd need to put them in the front row where they'd take extra damage.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 29, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been following this guy on twitter that does CRT looks at old games and I got his point about this - the "pixel" look honestly never existed, all of these games knew they were on a CRT which smoothed out the picture and the good ones absolutely took advantage of that fact

Kinda made me reconsider what I consider accurate retro recreations and it looks like these FF versions might be leaning into that a bit

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hope they don't release them in order. I just want a non-hideous 4-6. :(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

stev posted:

I hope they don't release them in order. I just want a non-hideous 4-6. :(

Emulators are good and a necessary part part of game preservation for this reason

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
FF6 BNW is pretty great. Some of the dialog changes they made are, uh, interesting. Sometimes though they really nail the character with new lines:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I did a VC save right before the Garuda battle in FF3NES and now I'm stuck :( my last in-game save is over an hour back

Might just hit pause and wait to see if this remake is faithful and start over on it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

FF6 BNW is pretty great. Some of the dialog changes they made are, uh, interesting. Sometimes though they really nail the character with new lines:

The classic scene where Setzer threatens sexual violence

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's been unfucked almost entirely, the guy who made it just had to keep a few things lmao

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

That one image sells me harder on not ever touching BNW than anything that could be said about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

With the Woolsey restoration patch the only egregious change I've seen is Ultros just running off meme film lines doing his opera house fight, I'm in the world of ruin now and never saw that dialogue