Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mama Mia that's a spicy hatchet-a murder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

It certainly feels like I've seen more giallo than I actually have.

But my Giallo watchlist is loving huge - and I don't really enjoy the "genre".

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the word giallo is historically Italian and has that context so it's kind of fair to associate the genre with the place, even if it's just historically. much less fair to throw a blanket "sexist garbage" descriptor over it

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

You can spot the real fans pretty easily with the usage of Micheal/The Shape.

True. As a fake fan I've always preferred calling him "old saggy pale face"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
you can even get NY giallo from the podcast movie the scary of sixty-first
not saying it's good or even uses its giallo influences well but it exists

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RobbZombae posted:

Giallo is literally an Italian word, my dude. I was obviously jokingly being inflammatory even with a fake tag - why you being such a hardon?

Kvlt! gets a bit too intense sometimes about genre labels. Anyway it's part of his charm.

To be honest, most of the good giallo I've seen are actually Italian. Like, yea Knife + Heart is really good but I typically don't enjoy the more modern gialloesque stuff that's out there like The Editor. Classic Italian is the way to go with giallo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the big three of non-italian giallo are Don't Look Now, Alice Sweet Alice, and The Eyes of Laura Mars.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never thought of Don't Look Now as a giallo but I suppose you're right, at least somewhat. Alice Sweet Alice is good though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Real Halloween fans who know what’s up call him Stabby Denny Crane.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the big three of non-italian giallo are Don't Look Now, Alice Sweet Alice, and The Eyes of Laura Mars.

Though Don’t Look Now is coincidentally set in and filmed in Italy.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
The Australian Next Of Kin is also very giallo-esque and still very underappreciated, imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

quote:

the big three of non-italian giallo are Possession, Candyman, and Resident Evil.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I never thought of Don't Look Now as a giallo but I suppose you're right, at least somewhat. Alice Sweet Alice is good though.

Don't Look Now isn't an easy movie to label, it's sort of a drama about grief that has some supernatural elements with a giallo film happening in the background

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Don’t Look Now is a British film but it’s set half in Italy and has many Italian cast and crew (most importantly the soundtrack), it’s not really a great example of “non-Italian” Giallo. It’s a hybrid at best.

Kinda goes back to my point that Giallo is mostly inseparable from Italy in lots of ways.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Don't Look Now isn't an easy movie to label, it's sort of a drama about grief that has some supernatural elements with a giallo film happening in the background

Yea I think that's why I never thought of it as a giallo, the actual giallo part is never front and center the way it typically is, it feels sort of tangential to the story(until it isn't).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't get hung up on what does or doesn't belong in a subgenre, but if I had to identify core traits of the giallo it's a) stylish production, b) graphically violent, and c) a murder mystery that shits all over Knox's Decalogue, usually in favour of some bizarre psychosexual rationale for what's going on.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
The important thing is that Don't Look Now is great.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

watched Mother's Day this morning. It was alright, not super great. some fun gags but definitely didnt need that rape scene. the old lady was funny at least.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Last post about Halloween movies, just some random thoughts:

Halloween 2: Of course it doesn't hold a candle to the original, but as a slasher movie it's fun. I think the only part I didn't care for was the hot tub death. Despite being a giallo fan, I like violence and I like sex but not so much the mixing of the two. The camera just kinda lingers on her corpse. I mean, a naked woman covered in blood is sexy, but when she's scalded to death? Ick. Anyway, Carpenter sure wrote one hell of an ending just to have them go "nuh uh" when they wanted to make Halloween 4. This was arguably the first one that not-so-subtly hints that Loomis is an extremely terrible doctor and maybe to blame for The Shape.

Halloween 3: This movie is a lot of fun but I'm sorry, I don't consider it a horror comedy masterpiece like some people do. It's definitely funny that the children of the world could have been saved if the hero had just handed the job off to someone who wasn't a drunk divorced dad with a 70s moustache.

Halloween 4: Remarkably good. They got the mood and atmosphere right from the get-go. The best parts are Loomis going completely bugfuck, organizing a lynch mob and trying to murder a child. He'd torpedo a cruise ship if he thought Michael Myers was on it. The real letdown is a long third act where everyone suddenly acts very stupid so that The Shape can kill them with increasingly Voorhees-like super strength. The ending is great, though.

Halloween 5: It stinks, and not just because of the mask. Nothing makes sense and everyone is an idiot whose behaviour is as inexplicable as Michael's. The ending is a cliffhanger based on a dumb idea that wasn't foreshadowed well. The only good part is the hayride hootenanny massacre. (Edit: And Loomis whaling on Michael until he collapses. Would have been a fitting end for Loomis, in a better movie than this one.)

alf_pogs posted:

the word giallo is historically Italian and has that context so it's kind of fair to associate the genre with the place, even if it's just historically. much less fair to throw a blanket "sexist garbage" descriptor over it
But as you just pointed out, giallo is Italian :confused:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 29, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Halloween 4: Remarkably good. They got the mood and atmosphere right from the get-go. The best parts are Loomis going completely bugfuck, organizing a lynch mob and trying to murder a child. He'd torpedo a cruise ship if he thought Michael Myers was on it. The real letdown is a long third act where everyone suddenly acts very stupid so that The Shape can kill them with increasingly Voorhees-like super strength. The ending is great, though.

In 4, they started teleporting everyone around in the last act all over the place, ending with Michael teleporting under a truck he clearly wasn't under and couldn't have been under. It starts right around when they enter the school.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Two particular weird things I remember. First, the sheriff decides to arm the boyfriend (he's always just "the boyfriend" in these movies) and gives him a double-barrelled shotgun instead of one of the several pump-actions in the same cabinet. Second, Michael just appearing on top of a truck and ripping a cop's throat out.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

shits all over Knox's Decalogue

I had never heard of this, and #5 was uhhhh but it's actually the opposite of what I thought.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

dorium posted:

watched Mother's Day this morning. It was alright, not super great. some fun gags but definitely didnt need that rape scene. the old lady was funny at least.

The remake is worth a watch to, it goes down a different path but is very good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Two particular weird things I remember. First, the sheriff decides to arm the boyfriend (he's always just "the boyfriend" in these movies) and gives him a double-barrelled shotgun instead of one of the several pump-actions in the same cabinet.

Easier to use for a beginner I guess? Less moving parts anyway.

e: Besides a double barrel is a better horror movie gun anyway. Just like fire axe is better than a sword or something. Some weapons are spookier and are more on brand.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 29, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
A friend made this after watching the YELLOW TEXT intro to The Conjuring 3

https://starwarsintrocreator.kassellabs.io/#!/DMdP8QcKvyj4n5WiW2w0

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 30, 2021

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I haven’t seen Halloween 4 in 20ish years but back then it was my favorite sequel of all of them through Resurrection.

People teleporting all over the place wouldn’t have been something I noticed/cared about though, so I imagine it would hit different these days

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I started watching All the Colors of Giallo and it's revelatory. Gastaldi is laying out the rules for a "giallo" (i.e. a novel in the classic British murder mystery style) and it seems like the giallo film is practically defined by the ways it breaks the rules. I didn't realize how influential German krimi films were on the genre. I've never seen any of those.

Anyway, right now I'm plugging a big hole in my giallo fandom by watching The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh. This movie is just titties, murder, dream sequence, titties, murder, weird homophobic joke, titties, murder. Classic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was convinced that guy was taking a piss out of it when he defined the rules of giallo as "the mystery should make sense and be something you can solve if you pay close enough attention" or whatever he said. It was like, so how many actually "rule keeping" giallos are there?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hercule poirot and the perfume of the lady in black

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I was convinced that guy was taking a piss out of it when he defined the rules of giallo as "the mystery should make sense and be something you can solve if you pay close enough attention" or whatever he said. It was like, so how many actually "rule keeping" giallos are there?

I think a lot of what he was referring to is the literary tradition of the giallo. It's easy for us horror movie fans to forget that by the time Bava came along the term giallo was already defined so pretty much right away you've got the tendency to want to subvert those expectations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyway, right now I'm plugging a big hole in my giallo fandom by watching The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh. This movie is just titties, murder, dream sequence, titties, murder, weird homophobic joke, titties, murder. Classic.
Also enough fakeouts and double-crosses to approach Wild Things territory.

Def one of the best giallos I’ve seen

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

The original giallos were just translations of classic British mystery novels, the best of which (as far as I know, I'm not a cozy British mystery fan) follow these pretty strict genre conventions. Like Base said, giallo film immediately set about subverting them.

George Orwell wrote an essay, "The Decline of the English Murder," the thesis of which is that the classic British mystery is dying out in favour of American hardboiled detective fiction because the English-speaking middle classes who read this stuff are becoming cynical and embracing the apparent truth that might makes right and all social institutions are corrupt.

In giallo movies, the assumption seems to be that everyone is some kind of violent pervert. In keeping with the cop films that became the next fad, I always thought of these movies as basically reactionary and a guilty pleasure. But some of the interviewees in All the Colors of Giallo said that from the beginning (with the novels in the 20s) gialli were thumbing their nose at the Fascist regime. From my experience, this reaches its apex in Petri's Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, where the premise is that a police captain commits a murder and doesn't cover his tracks, just to see if he'll get caught. It climaxes with the captain delivering a fascist rant to the press, and culminates with his superiors forcing him to "confess" that he's innocent because he's useful to them and they don't care.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
God drat it Agrippa don't start biting Kay in the next room while a naked lady is being murdered onscreen it really hosed with my head

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are ‘Yellow Fever: The Rise and Fall of the Giallo’ and ‘All the Colors of Giallo’ different enough to warrant watching both, or is one better than the other?

Also I’ve seen quite a few horror docs with ‘Rise and Fall’ in their name… presumably made by the same people?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is Giallo the only genre with deus ex monkey? Honestly the end of ____Phenomena_______ gets a belly laugh out of me every time. Giallos as a rule should have these in every film. I will not be taking further questions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every film should have that ending. There is no film that wouldn’t be improved.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

weekly font posted:

Is Giallo the only genre with deus ex monkey?

Sounds like someone hasn't seen Buster Keaton's phenomenal The Cameraman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I had never heard of this, and #5 was uhhhh but it's actually the opposite of what I thought.

I also went to look it up, and the page I found it on had an anime version first for some reason. The anime version unsurprisingly omits #5 completely apart from a note of its absence.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Murders in the Rue Morgue is the origin point of Deus Ex Monkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Watched Saint Maud last night. It was wicked good, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would tbh. Some thoughts from a practicing Roman Catholic: my interpretation is that Maud was possessed by a demon. I think the obvious interpretation is that she was mentally ill, because the entire movie we see what is obviously a difference between how Maud perceives/sees the world and how others do. But throughout the entire movie we never once see Maud receive any of the sacraments, she doesn't go to Mass or confession. It's possible the movie just skips those scenes, but someone portrayed as devout as Maud doesn't even say a Hail Mary throughout the entire movie. She can't because she's possessed by a demon, which also causes the supernatural events and eventually drives Maud to murder/suicide