Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Postman posted:

I'm not going to do a great job of describing the tasting experience beyond "coffee brewed in the Clever tastes fuller to me", but I definitely prefer it over the Aeropress for daily brewing. I find it much easier to get consistent cups, and you can brew a lot more of it.

I really only mess with the Aeropress when I want a smaller amount of coffee.

Sounds good, I'll grab one, they're not exactly expensive. Yeah I've been using the Aeropress for the "small strong coffee" (not espresso) part of home-made iced lattes, which still taste of more things than a Starbucks one even with the milky dilution.

Cold brew is also on my list to experiment with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Niyqor posted:

I'm unsure if the updates have happened yet but there has been discussion online about Fellow updating the Ode in Spring/Summer 2021 with different burrs and a redesigned catch lid.

I've been kind of waiting for this to happen before upgrading my grinder.

I'm sort of in the same spot as you. I've been using the same entry level burr grinder for years and am looking for a worthwhile upgrade. I only make filter coffee (usually an aeropress or clever coffee dripper) and don't plan on diving into espresso. Quieter would be nice. Before all the reviews about the Ode barely going fine enough I was definitely planning on picking up one of them.

Since I don't really have a strong need to upgrade right now, I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Really looking forward to hearing about what you end up with.

I had read that they may be doing a redesign on some of the issues. If those changes hit the mark, I will probably pick it up. I have read about a lot of issues with the auto stop feature not grinding all the beans or jamming up. That would need to be addressed too. After a lot of searching I still haven't settled on anything. Neither my partner or I care enough for how the Silencio looks so we are passing on that one. Unless I come across something else I'll probably be waiting for the Ode redesign or for a new batch of Niche grinders to be released. I'll keep looking though. Let us know if you get the Ode or pick up something else.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Going down the James Hoffmann rabbit hole. I enjoyed the £50 grinder review that rubbished the little boxy one I used to have.

That 9Barista espresso machine is a fascinating device. Not looking to get into home espresso right now, but it's a tempting solution if you're not interested in steaming milk. One question he didn't answer in his review is whether it makes better espresso than a €350 "normal" espresso machine. Anyone used one?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
The machine doesn’t make all that much difference to the final product, provided it can deliver water at an appropriate pressure and temperature which the 9barista appears to do, so it’s probably not better or worse though it does seem like it might be fiddly to dial in

Gunder
May 22, 2003

hypnophant posted:

The machine doesn’t make all that much difference to the final product, provided it can deliver water at an appropriate pressure and temperature which the 9barista appears to do, so it’s probably not better or worse though it does seem like it might be fiddly to dial in

Yeah, as long as it can do that, it'll be okay. The thing you get with more expensive equipment is consistency and options to change variables more easily.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Tried the Hoffmann Aeropress technique, drat that's a good coffee! Immediately replaced my moka pot, I'll never burn my fingers on a trivet again hurray.
Hoffmann's recommendation for water temperature is 10-15° higher than what I've seen recommended online, is there any reason for that?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

betterinsodapop posted:

Not sure if this ever got answered, but I pretty much adapted a recipe from Jim Hoffman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApBycDrPo0
I'm using an Oxo 8 cup (40 fl. oz) drip machine: https://www.oxo.com/8-cup-coffee-maker.html
70g med grind coffee
800 mL water in the machine reservoir
400g ice directly in carafe
run brew cycle (this melts MOST of the ice, just stir to melt the rest)
pour into a glass w/ice and enjoy.

Thanks! I ended up up going with a recipe that was works really well with the Ethiopian blends I normally buy.

20g of coffee
100 of ice
250 of water

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

Hoffmann's recommendation for water temperature is 10-15° higher than what I've seen recommended online, is there any reason for that?

temperature mainly matters insofar as it affects how quickly (and therefore how much) your coffee extracts. for anything on the lighter end, they're nearly impossible to overextract via immersion (it's a different story with percolation, since you're constantly adding fresh solvent that's very good at extracting the coffee).

your challenge with a light roast in an aeropress or a french press is instead to get enough extraction that it doesn't taste sour, so you go basically as hot as you can with the water

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 20, 2021

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Huzzah! My wife gifted me a Hario V60, filters, coffee, and a baseball cap from my favorite local coffee place (Southdown Coffee.)
So begins my descent into pourover madness.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just started some cold brew for the first time since getting "into" coffee.

1. Do folks make it concentrated instead of normal ratio just for storage / dosage / bang for your effort buck convenience or some actual infusion ratio reason?

2. Can I dilute the whole batch to taste or does that not keep as well as concentrate? It'd only last two days I think.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I can't wait to get a gooseneck kettle

My current jug has 6 buttons and is never clear if is need 2 presses or three

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m new to brewing and have only ever used a french press before — with mixed results. Tried James Hoffmann’s french press technique today. It was a cleaner coffee with less bitterness and less sludge.

That said, it still didn’t feel like a very strong brew. I could use more beans but at some point that just feels wasteful.

Have just ordered the Clever Dripper, which should make it easier to use finer grinds without getting more sludge. Excited to go down the rabbit hole of coffee brewing :banjo:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Enjoy! I've just been using the directions included with the Clever. Does anyone prefer a different approach? I assume Hoffman has an ULTIMATE recipe but I haven't had issues so I haven't bothered to explore.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I find I get better results with Hoffman’s guide, as well as quicker brews.

https://youtu.be/RpOdennxP24

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Postman posted:

Enjoy! I've just been using the directions included with the Clever. Does anyone prefer a different approach? I assume Hoffman has an ULTIMATE recipe but I haven't had issues so I haven't bothered to explore.

Hoffman’s recommendation isn’t too far off from the base directions, but putting the water in before the grounds does make a huge difference in drainage time.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Jestery posted:

I can't wait to get a gooseneck kettle

My current jug has 6 buttons and is never clear if is need 2 presses or three

OXO's adjustable temperature one is good if you occasionally make tea or do brew temps below boiling

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Trip report: tried Hoffmann's method for (wastefully) improving quality if you have a crappy grinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7d-5KWHCU&t=108s
The video is for blade grinders but in a different video he says it helps with crappy burrs too, which is what I have.

It definitely did prevent some fines and some bigs (chonks? boulders?) getting into my brew:

It took my pour-over from 2:15 to 1:45, so I may try again with a finer grind, and I can say I couldn't taste much difference hot but I could the reheated leftovers later in the day, which I assume was just from the fines not over-extracting in my vessel in the fridge.

Not worth the 18% waste, but a neat experiment, and has at least shown me that investing in a new grinder isn't worth it for my unrefined palate yet.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flair 58 and Niche Zero giveaway. Up to 8 entries by doing some social media following.

https://flairespresso.com/flair-giveaway/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I got the timemore black mirror after getting really frustrated with a cheapo scale I was using. I don't know if they took some feedback from Hoffman or if this was a feature he missed but the beep that Hoffman complained about in his review has an option where you can disable it.

It still has the USB port issues where there is nothing covering the port and water could potentially get in there. Other than that it was a pretty solid purchase.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Originally posted by Alarbus in the tools thread but this strikes me as something Hoffmaster could go full cosplay review on a la bripe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3-Cup-18-Volt-LXT-12-Volt-MAX-CXT-Lithium-Ion-Teal-Cordless-Coffee-Maker-Tool-Only-DCM501Z/309327779

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BrianBoitano posted:

Flair 58 and Niche Zero giveaway. Up to 8 entries by doing some social media following.

https://flairespresso.com/flair-giveaway/

Entered, thanks. If I win, I'll buy you a bag of RM.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ThirstyBuck posted:

Originally posted by Alarbus in the tools thread but this strikes me as something Hoffmaster could go full cosplay review on a la bripe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3-Cup-18-Volt-LXT-12-Volt-MAX-CXT-Lithium-Ion-Teal-Cordless-Coffee-Maker-Tool-Only-DCM501Z/309327779

They throw it into tool deals if you buy a handful, and it’s pretty uniformly considered crap.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Niyqor posted:

I'm unsure if the updates have happened yet but there has been discussion online about Fellow updating the Ode in Spring/Summer 2021 with different burrs and a redesigned catch lid.

I've been kind of waiting for this to happen before upgrading my grinder.

I'm sort of in the same spot as you. I've been using the same entry level burr grinder for years and am looking for a worthwhile upgrade. I only make filter coffee (usually an aeropress or clever coffee dripper) and don't plan on diving into espresso. Quieter would be nice. Before all the reviews about the Ode barely going fine enough I was definitely planning on picking up one of them.

Since I don't really have a strong need to upgrade right now, I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Really looking forward to hearing about what you end up with.

I ended up preordering a Niche Zero when it went on sale last night. I believe some are still available is anyone is interested, though the U.S. variant is already sold out.

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/products/niche-zero?variant=39387927740547

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Bruxism posted:

I ended up preordering a Niche Zero when it went on sale last night. I believe some are still available is anyone is interested, though the U.S. variant is already sold out.

Seems like a solid choice.

This made me relook up what is going on with Ode. Looks like maybe a new burr set coming out this fall according to this YouTube video

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bobstar posted:

Going down the James Hoffmann rabbit hole. I enjoyed the £50 grinder review that rubbished the little boxy one I used to have.

This video almost caused me to do something really dumb. Home built espresso machines hit so hard in the “just simple enough to build without fancy electronics but still complicated enough that people aren’t knocking them together in the garage all the time” zone that I was literally sketching the schematics out at the kitchen table when the SO came home and helped me realize how ridiculous my plan was. “Where the hell are you going to keep it/run it” and “the exposed piping is going to be HOW HOT?!?” were both key realizations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

This video almost caused me to do something really dumb. Home built espresso machines hit so hard in the “just simple enough to build without fancy electronics but still complicated enough that people aren’t knocking them together in the garage all the time” zone that I was literally sketching the schematics out at the kitchen table when the SO came home and helped me realize how ridiculous my plan was. “Where the hell are you going to keep it/run it” and “the exposed piping is going to be HOW HOT?!?” were both key realizations.

the answers you're looking for are "in our bedroom, next to me in bed" and "I'll paint them red, for 'HOT'"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Bruxism posted:

Yeah, literally placed an order at like 2:01 NY time. There's nothing as good for single dosing under four figgies.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JohnCompany posted:

Yeah, literally placed an order at like 2:01 NY time. There's nothing as good for single dosing under four figgies.

I had to wake up at 3 AM local time to order mine. I ordered a US one so I'm glad I bothered.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Wow, you're further along the rabbit hole than me. I'm just at the "maybe I will buy a 9Barista" stage

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Just started drinking coffee for dinner instead of eating food, so I get it first thing in the morning, and now before bed. Hell yea, it's good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

intermittent fasting?

Coffee makes me crave food so I couldn't do that.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Mu Zeta posted:

intermittent fasting?

Coffee makes me crave food so I couldn't do that.

No I just don't want to get fat. Breakfast like a king :) lunch like a prince :|, dinner like a pauper :( I've slept fine really

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cheese thief tell us all your coffee methods and whether you wing it like your cooking :allears:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

Cheese thief tell us all your coffee methods and whether you wing it like your cooking :allears:

I cook normal now. I actually learned a lot and now I know better. So, my coffee is as basic as it gets. 1) Bring water to almost boil. 2) 3 heaping spoonfulls into the big French press. 3) Let sit for 4:00 minutes. 4) Drink black. It's not bitter or anything. The ground coffee is just as good as the whole bean if you go through the can fast.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Good on ya. Would you be up to make an update Da Spoon Zone post then?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Got an Encore as a wedding gift. If I upgrade the burr would it even be possible to churn out a halfway decent cup of espresso if I went with a robot or the like?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No, never, I'll take it off your hands $10

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It’s gonna be a struggle to do espresso with the Encore, even with the burr upgrade. Sorry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can use the Encore with a pressurized basket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seems like one of those things where yes, you can get espresso shots out of it, but you'll get more bad ones than good ones and it'll be a big ol frustration