Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oooooooo, wood-panelling on spaceships is something I never thought I wanted but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mordja posted:

Oooooooo, wood-panelling on spaceships is something I never thought I wanted but there it is.

When you're trying to keep your reputation for luxury in the replicator era, you gotta go all out.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mordja posted:

There's an internal wall in your spaceship in Tacoma that's just loving plywood. There's something viscerally upsetting about wood in space.

Allegedly one of the drafts of Alien 3 was set on a wooden spaceship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bug Squash posted:

There's an internal wall in your spaceship in Tacoma that's just loving plywood. There's something viscerally upsetting about wood in space.

Outside or inside? I love Pike’s ready room in Disco:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wood on the inside has to be fine, if anything disqualifies my precious Enterprise-D bridge I will detonate through subspace and destroy every neighboring star system

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I posted this before, but one of my favourite videogame spaceships (and one of my favourite videogames) has plenty of wood, inside and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2KB_cFrTo

Although it's a bit less on the luxury side.

(If there's anyone reading this thread about space fiction that hasn't played Outer Wilds, play Outer Wilds)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 25, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s been on my to play list forever. It didn’t help it launched at the same time as another game with a nearly identical name.

Edit: talking of which, the Unreliable from Outer Worlds is fun. I like the design of the underslung bridge. It’s very Serenity-esque.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 25, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Wooden spaceship chat?"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s been on my to play list forever. It didn’t help it launched at the same time as another game with a nearly identical name.

Edit: talking of which, the Unreliable from Outer Worlds is fun. I like the design of the underslung bridge. It’s very Serenity-esque.

I like that the window in the captain's quarters and the little ridge over it make it look like it has a face and it's wearing a helmet.

MikeJF posted:

(If there's anyone reading this thread about space fiction that hasn't played Outer Wilds, play Outer Wilds)

This. A thousand times this.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Outer Wilds is incredible and the wood space ship aesthetic really sustains a lot of the mood, it's an amazing choice.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I never could finish the parts of the disintegrating planet before it, well, disintegrated. Ought to steel myself and attempt it again some day.
Outer Wilds is a true classic.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
You can do a lot of navigation on brittle hollow by just flying in spaceship and all

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

Naming a ship the Unreliable has big Rick and Morty Dan Harmon style "Oh, I can't make anything original so I'm just going to mock everything else and feel smug about it" energy.

The Outer Wilds is good, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That cobbled together Outer Wilds ship makes me think of this. I think.

I'm not actually sure if I saw part this movie on TV or if I just saw the cover a bunch. I definitely didn't see the whole thing. Maybe there's some other movie where woodland creatures build an airship out of wood and leaves. All I remember is the thing barely working and crashing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There was a Mac-only game a couple of decades ago called Escape Velocity Override (I think it's popped up in this thread a couple of times). One of the races you could encounter in it, the Emalgha, had been enslaved by the local evil race and their planet had been strip-mined of most starship-grade metals before they rebelled and threw their conquerors off the planet.

The Emalgha get around not having much metal left by making their ships primarily out of wood:

I always thought that was a fun touch

Polaron fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 26, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

That cobbled together Outer Wilds ship makes me think of this.

All I remember is the thing... crashing.

Then it's a very apt comparison. 💥

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

In the 70's and/or 80's there was a Star Trek fanzine titled, cleverly enough, "Trek". Later on, there were some reprinted books with some of the magazine's articles collected, and their cover artwork always fascinated me. I have them all in storage somewhere, but some of the art needed to be revisited.
As unlicensed books, they had to avoid any actual Trek imagery, but they certainly skirted the line with the starships they had grace their covers. It's like each one is a different classic sci-fi novel take on the Trek saucer/hull/nacelle standard we all love.

I just love the asthetic.
Several other examples...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That's not a spaceship that's a crate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chicken Run?

Wee Bairns posted:

I just love the asthetic.
Several other examples...

I like a greebled enterprise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Chicken Run?

oh I'm sorry, I thought you'd said Thus Spoke Zarathustra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey3lzPv74rE

Edit: why did I think you could spoiler youtube links

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm surprised there's been no mention of the ND-001 Nadesico yet, which is a shame as I love this stupid thing.

The Nadesico's very much a "what if White Base and the Enterprise had a hosed up baby" ship, but I love the weird forward-pointing nacelle design. I can't really remember what they're for (they might be the phase-transition engines, but I thought those were in the rear engine nacelles with the nuclear pulse engines), but I do remember there's also a bunch of vertical-launch missile tubes in them, so that's cool.

Its spinal main gun is a gravity blast cannon, which literally just rips targets apart with gravity which is neat. I couldn't find a gif of them using it in-atmosphere, but when they do it has a black beam with yellow lightning around it which looks way better than the generic yellow laser they use to get it to show up in space:

The bridge also has a really weird design too. The captain stands all the way up at the back on the next floor up looking down towards the helm, and then there's a giant video screen floor that the mech pilots all sit around (which is redundant as everything gets shown on hologram screens anyway). It's at the very tip of the 'saucer' and all surrounded by giant windows that makes even the Enterprise's bridge look armoured up. It makes no sense for a warship, but it gives some dramatic shots.

Later in the series, they add on the Y-unit to the ship which while giving it a ridiculous warcrimes gun that literally destroys the fabric of space, also it kinda ruins how the ship looks.

In that configuration it's called the Yamato Nadesico :nallears:

Oh, and the 'saucer' comes off too, just like the Enterprise:

In the sequel, a Japan-only Sega Saturn game, and underwhelming movie set after that, there's the NS-955B Nadesico B. It's blue and has a sick spoiler on the saucer, and an even more ridiculous bridge that I couldn't find a pic of:

There's also the NS-966C Nadesico C which is a bullshit Deus Ex Machina, and for some reason has a second saucer under the ship and a third front nacelle. It looks kinda dumb, but they turned the entire front nacelle assembly into a giant gravity blast cannon so that's cool:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like a jet fighter riding a catamaran

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It looks like it should transform into a robot.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Ah, the Nadessico. The best unit in its series whenever it shows up in a Super Robot Wars. The only reason it hasn't taken best ship every time is because it goes up against some stiff competition, like the original battleship (also the home of the main family) in W, Harlock's Arcadia in T, and the motherfucking Yamato in V.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm fond of the titular Sidonia from Knights of Sidonia. Bad show, but with some surprisingly good "hard" sci-fi elements.

Look at that, it's just a massive slab of metal/rock, covered in ice, built into/out of an asteroid.

It's got a heavy mass cannon that fires skyscraper sized hunks of metal- and the show actually succeeded at showing the scale of space, because despite traveling a crazy speeds it still takes minutes to reach its target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1GdoUDBsaE

It also, apparently, has a spinal mounted 28km railgun with recoil that can knock the ship around but I think that's only in the manga.

Also just turning it at speed made for an incredibly gnarly scene that I can't find a clip of.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's like someone put a gun barrel on the Marathon lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is that the one where the mechs all hold hands in a circle so they can go faster, which 100% isn't how thrust works?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why would the asteroid be there? Sure, use it as material and/or a base during construction, but the gun outscales it so it's not there as a platform for the end product and it just makes steering and aiming the thing asymmetric and more awkward.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

CainFortea posted:

Is that the one where the mechs all hold hands in a circle so they can go faster, which 100% isn't how thrust works?

Yep, all the mech stuff is super dumb. They don't even have headrests for the pilots so everytime they accelerate their necks bend 90 degrees backwards.

MikeJF posted:

Why would the asteroid be there? Sure, use it as material and/or a base during construction, but the gun outscales it so it's not there as a platform for the end product and it just makes steering and aiming the thing asymmetric and more awkward.

It's actually a colony ship that's slow boating out into space. The show's conceit is actually something like Attack on Titan in Space. It launched under lovely conditions, possibly not even fully complete and they're mining the asteroid for materials as they go. It's not really meant to steer or aim except on interstellar scales. So that 'turning' scene mentioned before- the ship had to do an emergency evasion, which meant accelerating on a diagonal, which created centripedal(?) force lateral to the ship's living axis- ie. a lot of people got flung into walls at high speed and died.

But, like I said, show's bad bad bad. The only scenes worth watching are 'mass cannon' and 'ship turns', and that's it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Icedude posted:

The Nadesico's very much a "what if White Base and the Enterprise had a hosed up baby" ship, but I love the weird forward-pointing nacelle design. I can't really remember what they're for (they might be the phase-transition engines, but I thought those were in the rear engine nacelles with the nuclear pulse engines), but I do remember there's also a bunch of vertical-launch missile tubes in them, so that's cool.

Well, the White Base's front "paws" were catapults for their mobile suits, but I'm not really sure how much use that was.

You know what else it makes me think of: This thing, the XGP Outlaw Star.

Which I guess that's sort of a typical rocket-y design with some nice curves and separated engines for complex maneuvering. Those + symbols towards the tip also can put out their own thrust to move the nose around. Surprising amount of real physics considerations, I guess.

Oh but yeah, big arms sticking out.

It has other guns on its main bodies, but I guess it makes some sense to be able to mount extra guns by holding them with the arms when you need to. But also since those arms are meant for some melee anyways, why not give it an axe. Sure. That almost makes sense. The in-universe explanation is that they were originally designed for doing exterior repairs and grabbing stuff and whatnot, but after pirates started using them to some effect, they became a staple of space combat. It actually makes sense that they'd have a use if you were going to steal cargo or if you wanted to do a boarding action, you'd need to hold the other ship in place, and if there's no such thing as tractor beams: Robot arms. But really it's just one of those anime things.

The Outlaw Star also has something funky going on with its cockpit. It looks simple enough from here, just two front-facing seats for the people doing the main flying. I guess why not give the other people some screens to give them something to do. And sure, mount them on some side-facing gimbles I guess. The uh...naked woman in a tube is a critical component for reasons.

Except, when you zoom out and take a look around, all of that is mounted on this...littler spaceship-type thing in the middle of the room, connected to the rest of the ship with a bunch of tubes, but also lifted up and separate from the rest. It kinda makes you think that maybe it could be some kind of escape craft? Or maybe like they could make a motion simulator theme park ride with the bit in the middle? I guess it's the hood ornament that really sells it as its own vehicle.

The room is actually pretty spacious away from the little thing with all the seats crammed onto it. Maybe it helps to keep people strapped down when the ship gets hit. It seems like it'd be a handy layout for a live-action TV set because there'd be room to stick cameras moving around like how Star Trek has a nautical mile of empty space on the bridge around seats, but that's not actually a concern in animation.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SlothfulCobra posted:

You know what else it makes me think of: This thing, the XGP Outlaw Star.

Which I guess that's sort of a typical rocket-y design with some nice curves and separated engines for complex maneuvering. Those + symbols towards the tip also can put out their own thrust to move the nose around. Surprising amount of real physics considerations, I guess.

Oh but yeah, big arms sticking out.

It has other guns on its main bodies, but I guess it makes some sense to be able to mount extra guns by holding them with the arms when you need to. But also since those arms are meant for some melee anyways, why not give it an axe. Sure. That almost makes sense. The in-universe explanation is that they were originally designed for doing exterior repairs and grabbing stuff and whatnot, but after pirates started using them to some effect, they became a staple of space combat. It actually makes sense that they'd have a use if you were going to steal cargo or if you wanted to do a boarding action, you'd need to hold the other ship in place, and if there's no such thing as tractor beams: Robot arms. But really it's just one of those anime things.

I kind of like they did make the grappler arms very much a "pirate ship" thing, I seem to recall several raised eyebrows from people who noticed what the main character was flying, and non-pirate ships (including those in the one other series set in the same universe) did not use the things at all. A bunch of pirates coming up with a weird set of swappable weapons to make their ships with arms look cool seems like a pretty logical reason for that kind of illogical thing to come about. Seem to recall the Outlaw Star was supposedly some sort of government project (with a strong amount of embezzlement by a scientist who had their own agenda for the ship) that officially was to beat the pirates at their own game, although again the real reason was because somebody was playing around with government resources (and it's a small enough ship to probably be a rounding error on the military budget even with the prototype aspects). These days stupid designs having in-universe stupid reasons for them seem to feel the most realistic setting element of all.

quote:

The Outlaw Star also has something funky going on with its cockpit. It looks simple enough from here, just two front-facing seats for the people doing the main flying. I guess why not give the other people some screens to give them something to do. And sure, mount them on some side-facing gimbles I guess. The uh...naked woman in a tube is a critical component for reasons.

At least pretty much everybody had the decency to make fun of the ship requiring a naked chick for navigation when they saw that (still recall one of the main characters noting "that's kind of kinky, isn't it?" :D).

quote:

Except, when you zoom out and take a look around, all of that is mounted on this...littler spaceship-type thing in the middle of the room, connected to the rest of the ship with a bunch of tubes, but also lifted up and separate from the rest. It kinda makes you think that maybe it could be some kind of escape craft? Or maybe like they could make a motion simulator theme park ride with the bit in the middle? I guess it's the hood ornament that really sells it as its own vehicle.

The room is actually pretty spacious away from the little thing with all the seats crammed onto it. Maybe it helps to keep people strapped down when the ship gets hit. It seems like it'd be a handy layout for a live-action TV set because there'd be room to stick cameras moving around like how Star Trek has a nautical mile of empty space on the bridge around seats, but that's not actually a concern in animation.

Never really noticed that, though I *swear* the first episode where they went into combat with the ship that platform elevated or something, can't remember if they ever stated why though. Really I was kind of impressed at the detail they snuck into the ship operations in that show, like the pilot having an eyepiece link to a bunch of sensor drones they scattered when going into combat to get a better view than just the screen, the ship's computer having a bunch of mini robots inside to handle repairs and maintenance, and no force fields so everything was armor (they even used the plates on the arms to block/ablate off against an attack at least once I recall). Also liked that it had realistic hassles involved in operating it; the pilot was somewhat familiar with piloting as a kid but still needed to drill like crazy to actually fly the thing (his first planetary landing before he put that time in was a near disaster), and the next episode after their first dramatic escape and fighting had them wrestling with all the supplies in their hold having been tossed around because they launched and went into combat without taking the time to stow everything properly. And of course the show's biggest theme for the Outlaw Star was how much of a money pit it was for the main characters to try to keep flying and it turned out there weren't a ton of jobs that required an awesome combat ship so they had to take random hauling jobs and such. For all the downright weird and anime in the setting, they obviously thought a lot about how the ships should be designed based on the assumptions of their universe's tech.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Never watched the whole series but I never forgot the ending credits song for Outlaw Star. It's one of those you should be standing at the edge of the ocean, looking out, when remembering

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Polaron posted:

There was a Mac-only game a couple of decades ago called Escape Velocity Override (I think it's popped up in this thread a couple of times). One of the races you could encounter in it, the Emalgha, had been enslaved by the local evil race and their planet had been strip-mined of most starship-grade metals before they rebelled and threw their conquerors off the planet.

The Emalgha get around not having much metal left by making their ships primarily out of wood:

I always thought that was a fun touch

That game is getting remastered later this year.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Icedude posted:

The bridge also has a really weird design too. The captain stands all the way up at the back on the next floor up looking down towards the helm, and then there's a giant video screen floor that the mech pilots all sit around (which is redundant as everything gets shown on hologram screens anyway). It's at the very tip of the 'saucer' and all surrounded by giant windows that makes even the Enterprise's bridge look armoured up. It makes no sense for a warship, but it gives some dramatic shots.

Ohh yeah, love me some ridiculously designed anime bridge.

Brawnfire posted:

Looks like a jet fighter riding a catamaran

I see you've read the design notes for Infinite Fleet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ah yes, the bitcoin game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay this definitely turns into a robot, right? It has knees!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ohh yeah, love me some ridiculously designed anime bridge.

Innit that NERV HQ?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Nah, that's too small and lacks the designated space for the old lady to take a header.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like the CIC layout of the Normandy SR1 and SR2. Distinct lack of chairs around the tactical map and all the gunners and personnel at their stations are way too far away from the CIC itself, but it has a neat layout with the raised command platform above the galaxy map.