Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That is a pretty special moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is just clinging to his team, it's cute.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It was a classic Cav sprint too. Nearly getting wiped out by someone and still managing to find a gap and win.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Feel for Bouhanni who sees a guy unretire and just constantly kick his teeth in

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ah man. This is an interview and a half.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought he'd gone too early, but Bouhanni just couldn't find the acceleration around the left.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

I thought he'd gone too early, but Bouhanni just couldn't find the acceleration around the left.

Bouhanni tried to fight against the tides of destiny and came up short.

Lmao dropping F bombs on live tv.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's rare to see him struggle to find words. Hah, the "gently caress. Sorry!"

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
gently caress

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
On the helicopter shot it wasn't even close, he just cruised to the win. With Ewan gone he genuinely could get to 34.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the overhead looks like nobody was even approaching his acceleration. Good legs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The 'Julian, thank you' was nice at the finish.

In the interview too, talking about having the green jersey and world champion just emptying himself for you, when other teams just didn't believe in him anymore and arguably the best rider in the world does must be something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Been busily fiddling with my TT bike, turned it on at the flamme rouge and what a minute or so

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He stole his green shirt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress it, if he makes it to Paris he's keeping that jersey.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Man, I'm going to have to go back and actually watch this whole first week at some point, huh? What's this world coming to, a good first week at the Tour??

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
:siren: Quintana in GC top ten :siren:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kimbo305 posted:

:siren: Quintana in GC top ten :siren:

Well we have a time trial coming up so

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Smirr posted:

Man, I'm going to have to go back and actually watch this whole first week at some point, huh? What's this world coming to, a good first week at the Tour??

The good stories are really good. The drama is really painful (to watch).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lachlan Morton is most of the way to stage 6 already

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A good stage :unsmith:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Lachlan Morton is most of the way to stage 6 already

Properly mental and I love it

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Properly mental and I love it

I'm off work all next week and i'd have been well up for getting the eurostar to paris and cycling some of the last kms with him but covid and all that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The man is insane.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
question for those who follow Tour De France closely

how likely is it to devolve into a dystopian hellscape of people on the sidelines trying to maim, crush, decapitate, and burn riders ala Death Race 2000?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fairly unlikely. I don't even remember any classic "handfuls of loose screws in the road" recently

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've watched the cav sprint again a few times and drat that acceleration at the end is starting to make me believe he can win another 3.

Has to stop pedalling but then still accelerates past the man in front to win by a bike length and that's without the perfect drop off from morkov.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I've watched the cav sprint again a few times and drat that acceleration at the end is starting to make me believe he can win another 3.

Has to stop pedalling but then still accelerates past the man in front to win by a bike length and that's without the perfect drop off from morkov.

Theres probably an entire book on sports psychology you could write on him. If hes in the right mind hes a monster and with Ewan gone and Alpecin Fenix picking their sprinter for each stage out of a hat he could get another one for sure.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Lets hope Cav can survive over the mountains to have a chance at those 3 stages. Would love to see him tying The Cannibal and retiring to a beach somewhere with his lovely family.

It's definitely been an exciting start to the tour this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alan Smithee posted:

question for those who follow Tour De France closely

how likely is it to devolve into a dystopian hellscape of people on the sidelines trying to maim, crush, decapitate, and burn riders ala Death Race 2000?

It was much worse back in the day.

quote:

The Col de la République is the first climb above 1,000m used by the Tour de France and at the top there’s a monument to Paul de Vivie, aka Vélocio, a pioneer of cycle touring and early champion of the derailleur. It’s also notable for something else. In 1904 the Tour drew a crowd of 200 fervent supporters waiting to cheer on local rider Antonin Faure. They crowd must have been delighted to see Faure lead the race but things went sour as his competitors came into sight. First the Italian rider Gerbi was pushed off his bike, beaten and got a broken finger. Then the crowd surrounded defending champion Maurice Garin and chants of “kill him” went out. Here’s French writer Pierre Chany (my translation):

A bunch of fanatics wielded sticks and shouted insults, setting on the other riders: Maurice and César Garin got a succession of blows, the older brother [Maurice] was hit in the face with a stone. Soon there was general mayhem: “Up with Faure! Down with Garin! Kill them!” they were shouting. Finally cars arrived and the riders could get going thanks to pistol shots. The aggressors disappeared into the night

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dead Nerve posted:

Lets hope Cav can survive over the mountains to have a chance at those 3 stages. Would love to see him tying The Cannibal and retiring to a beach somewhere with his lovely family.

It's definitely been an exciting start to the tour this year.

He'll have the ISN domestiques tying to stop froome missing the time cut to help him and by my reckoning there's another 6 sprint stages to come.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was much worse back in the day.

Just remembering when froome got doused with piss

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He'll have the ISN domestiques tying to stop froome missing the time cut to help him and by my reckoning there's another 6 sprint stages to come.

That's hilarious lol

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Smol posted:

I’m so conflicted :(

Seriously! It was heartbreak and then joy. A great stage.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
thinking WVA goes into yellow tomorrow

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Withnail posted:

thinking WVA goes into yellow tomorrow

I don't think Van Der Poel will ship 30 seconds to Wout on a flat time trial but I could be wrong on this.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Have we ever seen MVDP put effort into a time trial before? I’m curious how it will go.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
MVDP himself is saying van Aert is the better trialist and is expecting to lose the yellow.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also I hadn't been following pro cycling for a couple of years and I'm glad I picked this years TdF to get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Watts are watts and MvDP has plenty of them.

Imo I bet Wout is still recovering from his appendicetomy and doesn't do as well as people think. Lou Lou is my cheeky outside bet for the win, it isn't that flat and this is his chance to retake the race lead.