Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mdct posted:

Anime-original endings are pretty rare nowadays and there's literally no way To Your Eternity is going to even reach entry into the actual second part of the story at this rate.

Pretty rare, yeah. The anime listed at https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GeckoEnding are almost all prior to 2010 or so. The most prominent (though not in a good way) more recent example is probably Kuma Miko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okay that group hug at the end of today's To Your Eternity got to me gugu nooooo....

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Alright, time for a recap of the way too many shows I watched that finished this season. I'll just go down the week.

Dragon Goes Househunting: I was pleasantly surprised by this one, the natural concern would be that this show was going to be a one joke affair that would wear itself out, but it actually wasn't. The show bothered to introduce characters and expand on the world and build its relationships and give back story and characterization to its cast. Don't get me wrong, it was still functionally a low stakes comedy, but it did way more with its premise, and was way more than its premise. It was also fun to watch just because of how unrepentantly dorky the show was, there were a lot of videogame references in it and more than just what you get from the standard baseline fantasy anime setting ripped from Dragon Quest. Quite a fun, if they make another season of this I'll definitely watch it. Also, Letty is the most precious scaly puffball who must be protected at all costs.

Moriarty the Patriot: the first cour of this was a lot of fun, but in hindsight it was all set up for the back half of the show just go nuts, so it did! I had a lot of fun realizing that along with the original Sherlock Holmes stories the show was lifting liberally from some of the gonzo bits of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the introduction of James Bond to the mix was a stunning move of brilliant idiocy. I think brilliant idiocy is a great way to describe the show as well, it was at its best when it was being really dumbass over the top in the best kind of way. Sadly, the show never really managed to keep than manic energy up all the way through;it dipped a little after the Jack the Ripper storyline when the show actually started to pay more than lip service to its elevator pitch big idea and started trying to actually have the characters do the things they said they were trying to do. The villain they pulled out for the last quarter wasn't a bad choice for a villain, but they never really made him seem like much of a threat. I wonder this is down to adaptation since I think the manga is still ongoing. The ending was also a little bit disappointing, it didn't feel like it went big enough or was crazy enough to really be the cap off that the show wanted it to be. It worked, but it could have worked better.

Odd Taxi: I was waiting until this show wrapped to do this writeup, because holy poo poo. Anime of the Season, easy contender for Anime of the Year. When the show is pitched as animal people in animal Tokyo from the perspective of a walrus taxidriver I was absolutely not expecting a ridiculously compelling neo-noir crime drama. The show had a big complicated tapestry of characters and motivations and storylines and interactions. The dialogue was incredible, and the cast was even more incredible. This show had a lot of meat to it as well, it was a show about obsession and self-destruction. It was both cynical and optimistic, it showed every one of its characters at both their best and their worst. It had a really strong sense of the zeitgeist, it was absolutely a show in and about right now and that made it powerful watching. Absolutely stunning, definitely worth a watch and maybe a rewatch. And that last shot, holy poo poo.

The Saint's Magic Power Is Omnipotent: This one took me a couple of episodes to figure out because it was on the whole weirdly familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I realized what was happening was that this was a standard issue wish fulfillment isekai but the baseline was an otome game instead of an MMO. This is basically My Next Life As a Villainess in terms of setting and style, but played completely straight. It turns out the show was just a very gentle show about the protagonist ending up in a fantasy setting where she is very important and talented and popular and surrounded by very hot men. The end result is a very slight show. It could have been much more interesting than it was, but that would require the show to be something it wasn't interested in being. It's a low bar, but on the other hand it passed that bar easily and confidently. Not a particularly memorable series, I don't dislike it.

Super Cub: Turns out I did get that third season of Yuru Camp I wanted! Well, not quite, but the show at the same kind of chill energy that Yuru Camp gave off, very much a good instance of the classic anime genre of "High School Girls Who Have a Hobby". And just like how Yuru Camp had the repeated gag of giving inanimate objects small and cute voices, this show had the repeated gag of the color saturation turning up whenever the cast did a particularly liberating thing. On a slightly more serious note vis-à-vis the writing it was a impressively solid show at depicting people basically growing up, when it wasn't about motorcycles is about making friends and finding new opportunities and the characters challenging themselves and expanding their horizons. And of course it's one of the most blatant instances of product placement I've ever seen (Protip: Koguma means "bear cub"). Very pretty show, incidentally.

So I'm a Spider, So What: There's one episode of this left, but I feel pretty confident passing judgment now in saying this was an interesting show with a couple of odd structural issues and a serious case of the budget running out. There were some bad looking episodes in the second half, but the last couple of episodes have looked absolutely abysmal. And it's not just that they were using CG because Kumoko's part of the story generally looked pretty good, the problem was that it was really jerky, clunky, stiff, ugly looking CG put together without any grace or choreography and they were using it in half the show that was previously done with traditional animation and honestly looked pretty good. When the show wasn't distractingly ugly it was pretty enjoyable on the whole. The show also had the problem where the human characters were just less compelling overall than the spider half of the show, and while I'm told some of that is an adaptation I'm also told that a big chunk of that was there in the original and the human cast really are just less interesting. And of course Aoi Yuki absolutely loving hard carried the entire show, I cannot think of another actor who could've played Kumoko as perfectly as she did. I'm definitely here for another season of this, but I really hope the production is less troubled for the sake of the people producing it.

Dynazenon: I feel I've already said my piece on this show and I have little interest in restarting the discussion on it, so I'll keep this short. 4/10 anime. Vastly inferior to Gridman in every way. 90% of the cast did nothing, and the character stuff they did do felt incredibly unsatisfying. The villains were incredibly boring. The show was paced weirdly and was overall uneventful and not a single one of its interesting concepts were particularly explored. It was well directed, very pretty, the individual episodes moved nicely, but it all felt pretty hollow. It wasn't painful to watch, but it could've been so much more. Definitely not watching the third series.

Back Arrow: this show was dumb as poo poo and I was there for it. Loud, zany, stupid, arch characters engaged in big goofy action in a goofy setting with a goofy conceit getting into big, explosive, dumb giant robot fights. The show is primarily let down by its pacing, the middle third of the show was kind of a drag, but on the other hand the final quarter of the show was hype as gently caress. There's not too much more to it than a long series of excuses to get characters to strap themselves into giant robots and fight each other, and I loved the array of larger-than-life morons getting into action scenes with each other. There's a plot, but it's not hugely important, and the mysteries of the setting are explained but they aren't actually that important really and it really didn't matter much in the end except as a reason to get all the good guys together to fight the bad guys. Good use of CG as well, the show wasn't exactly gorgeous but the production people behind it definitely knew how to get a lot out of what they had and the chosen medium never got in the way of the action which is what you want in the show pretty much entirely about the action. Definitely pulling for this to be in Super Robot Wars someday.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed out My Level: Another fun show. This was essentially just a lighthearted sitcom about a zany family in the garb of a fairly standard isekai show. It's about a big extended family living together and hanging out and getting into various gentle comedic situations. The show even found a way to include the demon characters as essentially the friend/next-door neighbor characters who don't actually live with the main cast but show up all the time anyways. Very much a feel-good show about found family, to the point that many (if not most) episodes make the fact of the protagonist being overpowered irrelevant to what actually goes on in the show. Weirdly kind of similar to a ONE series now that I think of it… If a second season comes I'll absolutely watch it as well.

Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song-: The OTHER Anime the Season and easy contender for Anime of the Year. This is the show I was the most engaged with week after week this season, the one show that I was looking forward to the most that hit me the hardest and did the most for me. Absolutely gorgeous, amazing direction, amazing action, amazing writing, amazing cast. I know some people didn't like the ending, I am not one of them. A week or so on and in reflection I still think it absolutely nailed it. One thing that stands out so well in hindsight is that it's a show about artificial intelligence from the perspective of the AI, so much of the show is about showing in detail the ways the AI are different from humans. The show gets across the ways that the protagonists are very similar to humans, but not the same as them and it's really fascinating in that regard. Considering how much stuff you can do with the concept of self-aware robots, I also laud the show for sticking to a couple of consistent threads and running with them. I think my only complaint with the whole show is the last 90 seconds, so on the whole I think it was goddamn incredible.

86: The OTHER OTHER AotS and easy AotY contender. This season was ridiculously stacked, wasn't it? I stand by the show as being one of the most explicitly, unabashedly, unreservedly anti-fascist shows I've ever seen. The show spends a very long time picking apart every single cherished myth that fascists like to tell about their systems, showing the fascist state as ignorant, complacent, inefficient, lazy, and ultimately disgusting. The progression of the protagonist being forced to take a good hard look at herself, being disillusioned with her country, but being reinvigorated to have real worthwhile ideals is extremely compelling, though maybe dragged out for a little bit too long? I'm aware that this first half of the anime is almost entirely just one volume of the LN's and I'm quite happy the show had all the room it needed to breathe, but it feels like it was maybe an episode and a half to long for this storyline. Also the jump to the final cast was jarring. On the other hand, that just made the payoff all the sweeter. Still, excellently written and directed and ESPECIALLY scored (though considering they got Sawano that's par for the course, the man is as amazing as ever). Definitely here for the second half.

Shadow's House: There's technically one more episode of this, but I still think it's fine to treat it as finished because I suspect it's just going to end on a fairly standard "to be continued" and the final episode likely isn't going to radically change my opinion of the show. The short of it is I think it's a little bit disappointing. The show very obviously built itself around the mystery of the titular house, but when the show finally revealed what was going on it was actually kind of boring. There was one interesting plot turn with one of the characters and kind of surprising role reversal, but there wasn't quite enough to it. Maybe it was how the information was presented, maybe the manga was a better read, but it just wasn't very compelling. The pacing didn't help, I saw some people say they were absolutely rushing through the manga chapters, but the episodes about the debut felt very slow. They weren't necessarily boring and a lot of stuff happened objectively, but it didn't feel like the story moved. As I said, fairly disappointing. I may read the manga after it wraps out of curiosity, but if they make another season I think I'll sit it out.

Don't Tease Me Nagatoro-san: I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but the fact that the series very quickly confirmed it was actually a romcom surprised me a little bit. I thought the story was going to keep playing coy about Nagatoro actually having a thing for senpai or vice versa, but it very quickly made it clear that these two idiots actually had a thing going on between them. And the series got better for it, once it moved past just Nagatoro teasing him and got senpai to more consciously enjoy her company the show built a interesting dynamic between the two of them. Nagatoro isn't quite as in control and detached as she likes to act like she is and senpai isn't quite as lame as he first appears to be and the show is way more compelling once it gets all that out in the open. Also shout out to Nagatoro's friends for being less one-dimensional and less awful than they first appear to be, they're actually fun supporting characters once they started to be supportive of the other characters. Honestly it was pretty fun.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
should the title for the Summer thread be "Coolkyoushinseason"?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
*edit* I don't know how or why this double posted

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Summer 2021: It's a Cool, (Cool) Cool Summer

marumaru
May 20, 2013

see you (in the other thread), SSSSpace cowboys.

e: managed to finish Higehiro and as expected, didn't like it.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 30, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Yashahime_VIZ/status/1410095745106120715?s=19

October.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 30, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not to sure how the top of my list will go but even though it only had one episode I can safely put Wonder Egg as my worst of season/year easily.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, before this thread closes:

With the end of the season, I've been using the now-free time to watch Odd Taxi.

Everyone was right.

Odd Taxi is really good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i ended up liking Mars Red more than i expected, the last few episodes were good.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

With the end of the season, I've been using the now-free time to watch Odd Taxi.

Everyone was right.

Odd Taxi is really good.

Stay the hell of the internet until you finish. You'll be glad you did.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Everyone was right.

Odd Taxi is really good.
It is. I hope you enjoy it thoroughly!

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The last episode of Wonder Egg is bad. It's as if someone put a lot of thought into making it as bad as possible.

Half of the double-length episode is just a recap. Then the new stuff starts, and half of it is just nothing. Outstanding plot points from the previous episode are dropped. They manage to find the time to address an older mystery, and the overall themes of the show, in the worst way possible. It doesn't actually conclude the story, though, it ends on a sequel hook.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Adams posted:

The last episode of Wonder Egg is bad. It's as if someone put a lot of thought into making it as bad as possible.

Half of the double-length episode is just a recap. Then the new stuff starts, and half of it is just nothing. Outstanding plot points from the previous episode are dropped. They manage to find the time to address an older mystery, and the overall themes of the show, in the worst way possible. It doesn't actually conclude the story, though, it ends on a sequel hook.

How the gently caress do you come so close to reaching daylight and then decide to just leap head-first back into the pit you dug? :stonklol:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
because the writer of wonder egg priority is a guy who wrote a trans manga that compares schools refusing to let transgender students dress how they want to the government abandoning people in iraq

and that's not even the most baffling part of it. it's like, the least weird part of his trans manga. the wonder egg guy is a terrible writer lol

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Maxwell Adams posted:

drat. I was complaining about the Revenge ending for nothing; at least it's just a silly and random as gently caress ten second stinger that doesn't have any impact on the series.

I feel bad for people who were enjoying WEP at first.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wegg spoilers: the series opens with the mystery of the protagonist's female friend who she had obvious romantic tension with committing suicide, introduces a teacher who she was talking to who was kinda shady, and ends with the reveal that actually her female friend drove a teacher to suicide by falsely accusing him of rape and threatening to commit suicide herself and was trying to do the same thing to the other teacher when she slipped and fell and thats how she died

cause you know, the real epidemic is lying whores falsely accusing men of rape, not teen girl suicide

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's not even a satisfying resolution, even disregarding the misogyny!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

wegg spoilers: the series opens with the mystery of the protagonist's female friend who she had obvious romantic tension with committing suicide, introduces a teacher who she was talking to who was kinda shady, and ends with the reveal that actually her female friend drove a teacher to suicide by falsely accusing him of rape and threatening to commit suicide herself and was trying to do the same thing to the other teacher when she slipped and fell and thats how she died

cause you know, the real epidemic is lying whores falsely accusing men of rape, not teen girl suicide

Holy loving poo poo this is not at all what I expected based on the first episode. Appreciate the spoilers, friend. I can safely take this off the list.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the worst part is ep 12 has some weird stuff in it too but has the kind of implied message that she'll never actually know why she died and she can learn to live with that, which isnt executed the best but is honestly kind of a neat theme. the 'ending' not only raised more questions than it answered it basically ruined the few resolutions they had managed.

wegg has some very good stuff in it and i do like a lot of parts of it but if anyone does watch it do yourself a favor and stop at 12. that ending isnt good either but at least it mostly doesnt ruin anything.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My two simplest beefs with Wonder Egg is that I wanted it to do more with Neiru and with Koito and it felt like the final episode was designed for the explicit purpose of telling me to go gently caress myself lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well

At least I can still amuse myself by saying 'wegg' in my head.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

At least I can still amuse myself by saying 'wegg' in my head.

:same:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Endorph posted:

Yikes, sounds like dropping the series partway through and waiting for it to finish before deciding whether to keep watching or not was a good idea.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Endorph posted:

That... sucks a whole bunch, and also reminds me of my least favorite recent trend in fiction of subversion for the sake of subversion, even if it goes against the actual themes of what you're talking about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i honestly doubt it has anything to do with chasing any kind of writing trend, it's in line with views the writer has expressed in the past and writing he did as far back as a decade ago has the exact same issues as wep, sometimes in more inexplicable ways

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1410396850025340932 "friction between lead creative voices" really carrying a lot of the load in this tweet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1410396850025340932 "friction between lead creative voices" really carrying a lot of the load in this tweet.

https://twitter.com/yuyucow/status/1410399592680767489?s=21

... uh huh.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status/1410614176179912707?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

drat, didn't think I'd be watching anything other than a camrip in the next year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Will be legit bummed out if this means they don't do a theatrical run, but at least I know I'll be able to see it soon regardless.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Will be legit bummed out if this means they don't do a theatrical run, but at least I know I'll be able to see it soon regardless.

COVID probably put a stop to that more than anything else.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

sinky posted:

drat, didn't think I'd be watching anything other than a camrip in the next year.

You'll still be watching a camrip if I remember amazon prime video quality correctly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

COVID probably put a stop to that more than anything else.

Yea tho with Amazon in particular it's always a crapshoot even in the best of times. Sometimes they'll do a theatrical run, sometimes they will unceremoniously dump it onto their service without a sound.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Yea tho with Amazon in particular it's always a crapshoot even in the best of times. Sometimes they'll do a theatrical run, sometimes they will unceremoniously dump it onto their service without a sound.

Something that might also be a factor in just quietly dumping it on the service is Netflix getting the series. Don't want to drum up interest in the competition and all that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

chumbler posted:

You'll still be watching a camrip if I remember amazon prime video quality correctly.
I'm 99% certain they still haven't fixed the lighting in their version of Godzilla 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The last time I tried watching anime as it came out on Prime each episode wouldn't have subs available for two or three days.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm fairly sure there have been times where Amazon had either the best or a combination of good and easy to access video source over other options

splitting hairs in the face of their generally bad handling of it though, and when you actually watch through their player it has that insane behavior of starting in poo poo quality for a bit before it picks up to hd or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

my sole experience with Prime for anime was when they had Vivid Strike and Lyrical Nanoha available for a short period of time and like half of all the Nanoha episodes had no english subs including all of StrikerS

*sigh* Why does every Nanoha English release have to be cursed