Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

yeah I needed that if I wanted to play a full match of mario tennis or more than like 2 levels of mario smash lol

I asked for no further games for it and my dad quickly figured out that it was not going to be a successful system but I imagine it's somewhere in a box in his house because he hates throwing away electronics

I wonder if my parents still have my virtual boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

okay where the hell is my VideoGames 2LOU postmortem

you posted this at half 3 in the morning over here hahah

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yes I needed to go lie down and process things :)

Going to write something up today - there are a lot of thoughts currently swirling around in my brain.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

The REAL Goobusters posted:

we don't accept twin snakes in this house

Heretic, Twin Snakes is the true MGS!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My earlier revisiting of Tim Rogers videos has led me to find his 45-minute pre-review of Cyberpunk from last January.

After 6 minutes he seems both very positive based on the E3 footage, also 3 of those minutes have been talking about the historical context of his bomber jacket

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Cyberpunk 2077 has twice the 7s of Final Fantasy 7" -- Tim Rogers

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 30, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

also 3 of those minutes have been talking about the historical context of his bomber jacket

This is why I love Tim Rogers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://ir.blooberteam.com/2021/06/30/the-strategic-partnership-of-konami-digital-entertainment-and-bloober-team/

quote:

KONAMI, one of the world’s largest game publisher, and Bloober Team, have signed a strategic cooperation agreement. It will include jointly developing selected contents and exchanging know-how.

– It is a historic day for me and the culmination of several years of our work. The fact that such a renowned company as KONAMI has decided to strategically cooperate with the Bloober Team means that we also joined the world leaders in gaming and became an equal partner for the leading players in this market. – comments Piotr Babieno, president of the Bloober Team.

As part of the agreement, the partners declared cooperation in the development of contents and the exchange of know-how.

– We have been providing unique entertainment content and ways to enjoy it through the use of information technology. In the digital entertainment industry, significant changes in the business environment are expected in the future. We look forward to combining Bloober Team’s and our respective characteristics and strengths to create high-quality contents. KONAMI – comments Hideki Hayakawa Representative Director, President Konami Digital Entertainment

Konami Digital Entertainment, which is the core company of Konami Group, develops entertaining content for mobile, console and card games. The company is known for global franchises such as eFootball PES, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Contra, as well as the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game series.

looking forward to some high-quality contents!

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 30, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hahahahahaha

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

you posted this at half 3 in the morning over here hahah

who's on a delay now bub? :smugbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i made a deathloop thread and am posting itt (ie; a thread about a console with no games)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3972136&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post515872235

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As someone who likes Bloober more than most people seem to, I still do not think they are equipped to do anything with SH that isn't going to be a massive disappointment for everyone. Prove me wrong though Bloober, I'm rooting for you. Good luck. you are going to need it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

lmao holy poo poo this is gonna be awful

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

aka The Continued Whoring Out Of Our IP To Retain The License And Make Lots Of Cash

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

who's on a delay now bub? :smugbert:

still you by 8 hours biiiiiiiiiitch :boom:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Infinitum posted:

aka The Continued Whoring Out Of Our IP To Retain The License And Make Lots Of Cash

It's just a shame because this has never happened to Silent Hill before.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

still you by 8 hours biiiiiiiiiitch :boom:

what what whaaaaaat

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I am very thankful you don't need to gold all the challenges in Spider-man for the platinum because the stealth one are the worst.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't believe Kojima is joining Bloober Team

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s that Ellie already went back to Jackson and reconciled with Dina before the final scene at the farmhouse.

Wow, I never even thought about that interpretation of the scene...

I might actually have to replay the game to form an opinion, but my gut feeling is this ain't right. I really have to replay the ending, but I seem to remember that Ellie actually calls out for anyone beeing there? Imo it also wouldn't fit the whole storytelling of TLOU2 by hiding a very, very important story part from the player.

I mean the game actually shows you that Ellie tried to forgive Joel couple of hours before THAT THING happened, which is another punch in the guts.

Maybe I shouldn't replay it, because the ending as I understood it happened (Ellie coming back only to see Dina left, exactly as she said she would) just drove the whole story home for me.

TLOU2 is such a masterpiece...

e: okay, so I just googled how that fan theory came into existence and yeah....I'm not sold on it.

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 30, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t wanna go on about it too much but I think it’s a bad theory that serves no narrative purpose and only exists because people want to feel smart about noticing when Ellie is and isn’t wearing Dina’s bracelet even though that’s clearly a symbolic thing more than anything else

JJ Abrams ruined how people consume media

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t wanna go on about it too much but I think it’s a bad theory that serves no narrative purpose and only exists because people want to feel smart about noticing when Ellie is and isn’t wearing Dina’s bracelet even though that’s clearly a symbolic thing more than anything else

JJ Abrams ruined how people consume media

Yeah, I just red those fan theories. I take off precious stuff all the time before doing sports, I'm pretty sure I'd take them off before going on a killing spree (I think). It might as well be a typical gently caress up like it happens in movies all the time. I'll stick to my interpretation of the ending, as I think it fits the overall tone of the game and story way better, but I can understand why people might search for clues to a "more positive" ending

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's a terrible theory which runs completely completely counter to the themes of the game.

It's even worse than the 'actually it's very obvious that the fireflies would not be able to make a vaccine from Ellie so Joel was completely right!' position.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm just on Seattle Day 3 now, so trying to avoid these spoilers! (So tempting though!)

I got the game a while ago, but I struggle to play it much, and it's kind of a testament to how good it is, weirdly. The only other games I've got on my PS5 are Returnal and Mortal Kombat. The thing with TLOU2 is that, it feels, more so that anything else I've ever played, like I'm MURDERING people. The animation, the characterisation, the 'rawness' of it, it all just feels so bleak, and so mean spirited? The fact that you stab someone in the neck and lay them down, hide, and then moments later someone calls out in grief "CHARLOTTE?!" is pretty rough!

So I find it quite hard to pick up, it's exhausting. And when I'm not playing it, the other games aren't exactly chicken soup for the soul! I've ordered Ratchet and Clank, which I'm hoping will be like a pallette cleanser, lol. I do really want to play more TLOU because it's excellent, but it's just so emotionally draining!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

It's a terrible theory which runs completely completely counter to the themes of the game.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much clear what the ending is supposed to tell you after the scene when Dina and Elle talk about Ellie leaving again after Tommy showed up. Dina up and left because she was fed up with Ellie not being able to let go of her revenge and leaving her and the baby and their good life in a postapocalyptic wasteland, just to risk life and limb all over again to get revenge. Mind you, on somebody she would never stand a chance against at all, unless said person conveniently is strung to a pole for days and suffering from malnutrition resulting in extremely poor form. . Any search for a positive spin is a sign people may not have understood the games intended message.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hopper posted:

Any search for a positive spin is a sign people may not have understood the games intended message.

I think her getting the two fingers bitten off and no longer beeing able to reconnect to ANYTHING in her past (that made her go through all of what happened) is the only, slightly positive spin. It forces her to restart at zero. There's nothing left, everything was destroyed by violence and anger. It can't get any worse, it can only get better.

Her sitting there with a full hand and playing the guitar, remembering Joel, would have diminished the message the story tries to tell, similar to trying to say she reconciled with Dina and they are "good friends" after splitting up.

Then again, this post might need to go to "Unpopular video game opinions"

e: to quote one of my favourite songs: "It's always darkest before the dawn"

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 30, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RatHat posted:

I am very thankful you don't need to gold all the challenges in Spider-man for the platinum because the stealth one are the worst.

Although indirectly you need to Gold most to have enough tokens to get all the suits and buy 15 gadget upgrades. Unless you save scum or get more tokens from NG+ or the DLC.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao I did some research and discovered there's literally no evidence whatsoever that Bluepoint are working on anything Metal Gear Solid relating

I'd read so much about it I kinda figured there'd been hints and leaks but there's gently caress all

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Last of Us II Final Trip Report:

I have been sat here for about an hour trying to figure out how to get into this post, now that I have finished the game. This might be a mess of uncohesive thoughts but I feel that strangely appropriate. Spoilered from this point on for those still playing.

I have seen the full story and learned all that it wants to tell me and I am stunned. Somehow, despite being a mod, I was unaware of anything that happened in the game. (LVG says not having any social media except for the forums is a big help in my ability to not get spoilered on games, tv and films.)

I am truly glad for that because the narrative I experienced has been one of the most emotionally puncturing, resounding, distressing and hopeful that I have ever experienced. If the TLOU was about learning to reconnect then TLOUII was the opposite and learning to let go. It is a revenge tale but one with protagonists who are not cliches and can both be excused and understood for their actions due to an overarching theme of 'The Sins of the Father'.

Ellie and Abby are victims of their father figures whose misdeeds and mistakes spurs both on to horrible quests in an effort to make up for things they both had no part of. It is a full on tragedy and it is told phenomenally.

I thought TLOU was a great game and had no idea what a sequel would even be. All I knew is that Ellie looked angry on the front cover. Looking at it again I can see more than just anger in her face. I see the anguish and pain, I see the hopelessness and I see the determination.

Really, the way this game looks in every single aspect is phenomenal. I recently played Demons Souls and thought it was the best looking game I had played, but then I go and boot this up and at various points in time I feel like I am watching real life. The attention to detail in both the look of the game and animation is unsurpassed. From start to finish I still had my breath taken away by the visuals. Every aspect of the game is ND pushing the system to result in the best fidelity. This does also mean that when it is brutal, it is harrowing. So many times I was taken by surprise and had to look away from the screen. All the way to the end I was gasping and half closing my eyes at what might happen next. This is a powerfully affecting game but as mentioned earlier, the story is where everything truly shines.

The ending of this game left me unable to properly render words. I stammered and short circuited because I was overwhelmed with both sadness and hope. Very few games stick a landing so hard where I feel such a strong a sense of completion, but here I feel content that I experienced a powerful story with a lot to say that fully resonated. I would place it alongside Nier:Automata in that it is something I want to experience once only and have that as my ultimate memory of the game. Even if they release a III I will not go back to either this or the first for fear of dilution.

Ellie, after Left Behind, was my favourite female protagonist. Maybe my favourite protagonist ever. Going into this, she remained that way all the way up to a certain point and can I just say I have never 'fictated' more in my life.

(Fictating is a word I use for when a person is watching a film, tv show, video game or something set where they belabour under the impression that those they are talking to are a) capable of hearing them and b) capable of responding to that feedback.)

I was happy to leave it in the farm house. She had a life and love and she was on the road to starting to get better. Then Tommy comes along and knowing how much she is struggling with a deep loss, guilt and PTSD puts her sense of loyalty towards the one person who saved her over the world and uses them to make her give up everything she had somehow won.

I got so angry at him and so upset for her. I was genuinely worried. Someone on stream asked 'Is Ellie redeemable' and obviously I like to believe everyone is up to a certain point. For me, the point would be not killing Abby. If she killed Abby, after everything, after Abby let them go a SECOND time then she had fully crossed a line that would have hurt me.

Up to the end of Day 3 everything that Ellie and Abby went through was understandable from both their points of views. They were both victims doing the wrong things because the world in which they were born into is a hideous mess of war and murder.

Joel, Tommy and Jerry were born before the infection. All three of them should know better and let them down drastically. Joel via his fatherly love for Ellie but dooming of finding a cure, Jerry by ignoring his hippocratic oath out of a desire to be the saviour of mankind and Tommy by preying on a young girls severely damaged mental state. Goodness. You get why Joel and Jerry did what they did, even if you might oppose it. In this horrendous world these kinds of things happen. A desire to save everyone and a desire to save just one. They are mistakes made at hoping to do good.

Tommy though. Yikes. He came in a broke up a happy family for spite and revenge and continuing this destructive cycle that had claimed so, so many lives. I was very wrong about my initial assessment of him. (David all over again!)

Switching the game to Abby midway through originally made me feel like the story had suddenly lurched back to the start but I have to say, the way it made me replay those three days and grow to find her to be just as compelling as Ellie was a risky move that worked out phenomenally. I originally did not want to play as her. Seeing what she did to Joel and how upset she made Ellie made me feel just as taken in as Joel must have near the end of his segment. I did not want to 'be' her and I wanted to see Ellie's story through. As I played through Abby's story though, everything slowly fell into place and you come to understand that in another time these two could have been good friends. Abby is not the monster Ellie sees, she has just done a monstrous thing for personal reasons just like Ellie.

I really grew to love Abby and felt so awful for her as the days went on. She essentially mirrors Joel from the first game in destroying an entire group just to save a loved one. She also grew to understand the fact that revenge does not make things better and this is why she twice left Ellie alive and even at the very end, emaciated and still trying to save Lev, she was going to let Ellie kill her. I mean man.

The moments where you, as Abby, were hunted by Ellie really hit home how much of a vengeful demon Ellie had truly become. She was terrifying and something Joel mentioned during the museum scene.

I was so, so happy that Ellie let Abby go. It was the right thing to do. She should never have been there in the first place, but she saved Abby and Lev without realising it. She let go of Joel and the painful memory and she was reminded of the good memory. Abby took her chance at a reconciliation away from Joel but there is nothing more Ellie can do to bring that back. It is gone forever and killing Abby does nothing to change that. Her only choice is to let go of Joel and let go of Abby.

Writing this is hard. I keep welling up when I think of certain moments. There were so many packed into the game that are going to sit with me forever.

The acoustic version of A-ha's Take on Me was stunning and when it clicked what she was singing I was over the moon.

The museum scene is one of the happiest scenes I have ever felt joy at in a game. Every last bit of that moment is a masterpiece. Ashley and Troy knock it out of the stratosphere and I feel enriched for being able to take part in it (as weird as that may sound).

Abby got the most intense action set pieces though, the royal rat authority scene had my heart pounding and me flailing around. The horseback through Haven scene as well was a mix of worry and awe at the surrounding area - some serious standouts in terms of visual prowess with the way that fire moved.

Then there is the epilogue. after Ellie tries to play the guitar again and she cannot. She can, however, finally think of Joel as something other than a battered and bleeding mess.

That last memory with Joel where they both agree they will try to get past his choice I am just in awe and love with it. So much said with so little. Firstly if they had ended it after Ellie says 'Okay' with an upbeat tone I would have loved it in an incredible mirror to the first games 'Okay'.

Secondly that she went years before properly talking to him, making that last moment with him positive (despite what happens to him the next day final) was sorely needed. It provided the smallest bit of closure for me.

Thirdly I knew he would not be an awful homophobic dad. I said it as much way earlier in the game when they were looking for guitar strings that she should tell Joel and he would be OK with it. I knew it.

Fourthly when he says he would do it all over again that is when it truly hit me just how much of a Dad he is to Ellie. That is also the moment when she realises too. She wanted to die and wanted to mean something and Joel stating to her face for the first time she is properly speaking to him in years that what he did hurt her, and that him doing it lead to where they are, and that he still confidently says he would do it again. Goodness. She gets it, we get it, he always got it. He might as well be her Dad.

Goodness. I cannot even.

Her leaving the guitar and all her stuff in that room is the last piece of the jigsaw. She can move on and get better. I am not sure where she goes from here but I do not think she returns to Jackson. I think she is off elsewhere looking for who she could be again.

I am so, so glad I played these back to back. They are not really sequels, they are one long story and it is a story that suckered me in from start to finish. I shall be thinking of this game a lot in the years to come and the impact both have had have left an indelible mark on my heart.

There are many more things I can say but right now this is a ton of first thoughts. I promise for the GOTY thread, or just in general, once I am removed from the experience for a few months I will put together a proper post or long form bit of writing about it, like I did for Dark Souls. The raw nature of just having finished it leads my mind to be a bit jumbled in getting stuff out.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao I did some research and discovered there's literally no evidence whatsoever that Bluepoint are working on anything Metal Gear Solid relating

I'd read so much about it I kinda figured there'd been hints and leaks but there's gently caress all

Our hopes and dreams should be plenty proof enough. You gotta believe!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

They all follow the same basic premise, which is that if you just start at the highest vertical point and work your way down using stealth ceiling and wall takedowns, then there isn’t anyone above you to see you. The Stealth challenges are all super, super simple once you figure that out.

They are trickier in Miles Morales, but he can literally turn invisible so…

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lol the loving Bloober Hill salt is artisanal

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JBP posted:

Lol the loving Bloober Hill salt is artisanal

Have they ever made a good game?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gort posted:

Have they ever made a good game?

Observer is a very fine conceit well executed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

tuo posted:

I think her getting the two fingers bitten off and no longer beeing able to reconnect to ANYTHING in her past (that made her go through all of what happened) is the only, slightly positive spin. It forces her to restart at zero. There's nothing left, everything was destroyed by violence and anger. It can't get any worse, it can only get better.

Her sitting there with a full hand and playing the guitar, remembering Joel, would have diminished the message the story tries to tell, similar to trying to say she reconciled with Dina and they are "good friends" after splitting up.

Then again, this post might need to go to "Unpopular video game opinions"

e: to quote one of my favourite songs: "It's always darkest before the dawn"

Judging from everything else you see and experience throughout the game? It can definitely get worse. Waaaaaayyyy worse.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO at the fan theory that something good had to happen off screen, otherwise the ending is sad!!! A bloo bloo bloo, oh a bloo bloo bloo!!

Unreal, Sherlock S4 levels of cope

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I don't know why anyone would assume that a western dev would leave a gay character happy.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

I finished episode intermission of ff7 tonight.

The last boss was annoying to fight, I switched it on easy after a few tries just because I didn't want to go through 3 unskippable mid fight cutscenes to get back to the only phase that was giving me trouble.

Same. I had no idea how to handle that boss. Once you get to that third phase he just goes into an unrelenting onslaught of special attacks. I’d just get stuck in a cure loop and could never get him anywhere close to staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I liked that the final fight in TLOU2 was a Kojima homage