Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I like that they gave Michael Gandolfi his dad's teeth somehow.

Edit: Paulie at 1:10

Edit: Also the cover of the Bob Dylan song from the show.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anybody else think Vera Farmiga looks a bit too similar to Carmela? Tony's mistresses all being like his mom was definitely a thing in the show, but Carmela was supposed to be the outlier and the one good decision he ever made, so having that also be an oedipal thing is weird.

As far as the trailer/movie being good or bad, I'm going to watch it either way, but I don't really have any expectations to put on it. If it's good, cool. If it's not, a septuagenarian showrunner failing to bottle lightning again by revisiting his best work many years later wouldn't exactly be surprising, so oh well.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 30, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm down for one last dip into the Sopranos pool, I assumed the trailer focusing on violence and young Tony is purely down to some suit somewhere screaming,"WE HAVE TO PUT TONY SOPRANO FRONT AND CENTER! :supaburn:"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm down for one last dip into the Sopranos pool, I assumed the trailer focusing on violence and young Tony is purely down to some suit somewhere screaming,"WE HAVE TO PUT TONY SOPRANO FRONT AND CENTER! :supaburn:"

That's my thinking too; and trailers are often made by third parties anyway, aren't they? Maybe whoever made the trailer just sucks

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sinteres posted:

Anybody else think Vera Farmiga looks a bit too similar to Carmela? Tony's mistresses all being like his mom was definitely a thing in the show, but Carmela was supposed to be the outlier and the one good decision he ever made, so having that also be an oedipal thing is weird.

Nah, that seems totally on point to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah, that seems totally on point to me.

It just feels a little on the nose to me. Like we already covered that revelation, and she was supposed to be the one exception but nope, actually every single thing Tony did was about wanting to gently caress his mom.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's my thinking too; and trailers are often made by third parties anyway, aren't they?

Almost exclusively, yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sinteres posted:

Count me as another person who had this thought, so you're definitely on to something.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sinteres posted:

every single thing Tony did was about wanting to gently caress his mom.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing is, even if the trailer is just putting the Tony stuff front and centre, it’s still so much more Tony than we were previously led to believe this movie would have.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The official synopsis doesn’t give me much hope either:

quote:

Young Anthony Soprano is growing up in one of the most tumultuous eras in Newark’s history, becoming a man just as rival gangsters begin to rise up and challenge the all-powerful DiMeo crime family’s hold over the increasingly race-torn city. Caught up in the changing times is the uncle he idolizes, Dickie Moltisanti, who struggles to manage both his professional and personal responsibilities—and whose influence over his impressionable nephew will help make the teenager into the all-powerful mob boss we’ll later come to know: Tony Soprano.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Is this Holstens? The setting of the final scene.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Zaphod42 posted:

Count me as another person who had this thought, so you're definitely on to something.

Because it was intentional casting and wardrobe? I never got the impression Carmella was an exception to his taste in women being Oedipal. Maybe she's not a manic depressive, like Gloria and Irina, but it's not surprising he would be looking for his mother in other ways.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/johnsemley3000/status/1409931607394459651?s=19

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 30, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A varsity athlete accidentally stumbled into a young Tony Soprano's parlor which initially inspired him, but Uncle Junior shot down that idea.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Whale Vomit posted:

Because it was intentional casting and wardrobe? I never got the impression Carmella was an exception to his taste in women being Oedipal. Maybe she's not a manic depressive, like Gloria and Irina, but it's not surprising he would be looking for his mother in other ways.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/johnsemley3000/status/1409931607394459651?s=19

In the episode where Melfi points all this out, I'm pretty sure hair color is one of the things mentioned, with Tony triumphally pointing out that Carmela's blonde and Melfi saying she's the exception, in what I recall as an approving way. Melfi's probably the part of the show that's aged the worst, so having her be wrong about it is fine I guess, but it just feels pointless to me, like beating a dead horse. Yeah we get it, Tony has weird poo poo going on with his mother! Making her retroactively look like his wife too (which was not the case in the flashbacks) just seems like a bit much even for a show that had a psychoanalyst literally telling the audience what's going on in the protagonist's head throughout its run.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Sinteres posted:

In the episode where Melfi points all this out, I'm pretty sure hair color is one of the things mentioned, with Tony triumphally pointing out that Carmela's blonde and Melfi saying she's the exception, in what I recall as an approving way.

He's in denial. A lot of the reason Sopranos is so good is because of what the show gets across with what's not said. That's why it's so re-watchable.

If nothing else, it's a good retcon that fits very well with the show. I'm not so sure on this prequel, but that's very good casting and wardrobe.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Ralph Hurley posted:

I paused this shot of inside the pork store.
Who are these guys? Is that Paulie at the end of the table and Sil standing?

left end of the table is Ray Liotta (presumably playing Ercole DiMeo). you can see him again in the same seat/look at 1:45

standing up at the right end is almost definitely Paulie, though you can't see the panther tattoo that looks so old and faded in the series

thinking this must be Sil, or maybe Jackie

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 30, 2021

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Sinteres posted:

In the episode where Melfi points all this out, I'm pretty sure hair color is one of the things mentioned, with Tony triumphally pointing out that Carmela's blonde and Melfi saying she's the exception, in what I recall as an approving way. Melfi's probably the part of the show that's aged the worst, so having her be wrong about it is fine I guess, but it just feels pointless to me, like beating a dead horse. Yeah we get it, Tony has weird poo poo going on with his mother! Making her retroactively look like his wife too (which was not the case in the flashbacks) just seems like a bit much even for a show that had a psychoanalyst literally telling the audience what's going on in the protagonist's head throughout its run.

I really think they only casted with matching Livia in mind, she doesn't look too much like Carmela to me, I wouldn't be surprised if any similarly is a coincidence.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I take comfort from the fact that some of the season trailers were just as horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPVQJJ2vFg

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Trailer bad, movie bad. Show pretty decent.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I am looking forward to seeing all my friends on the silver screen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ProperCoochie posted:

Is this Holstens? The setting of the final scene.

C'mon. Its def Holstens

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PerilPastry posted:

I take comfort from the fact that some of the season trailers were just as horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPVQJJ2vFg

Exactly. My father started watching the show when it first aired based on the trailers and then got all pissed off because "all they do is talk"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Exactly. My father started watching the show when it first aired based on the trailers and then got all pissed off because "all they do is talk"

Must be related to my friends who are convinced the prequels are the best Star Wars because of the saber fights

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I feel for Michael Gandolfini because of the shoes he’s gotta fill and the fact that it’s his fuckin dad of all people. I thought it was cute casting if Tony was going to be a bit part in the story but now it seems like he’s going to be an absolutely central part? It sinks or swims whether or not Michael is a transcendant actor like his dad, which is a lot of loving pressure.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
:lol: I just realized that trailer gave me Cleaver vibes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I feel for Michael Gandolfini because of the shoes he’s gotta fill and the fact that it’s his fuckin dad of all people. I thought it was cute casting if Tony was going to be a bit part in the story but now it seems like he’s going to be an absolutely central part? It sinks or swims whether or not Michael is a transcendant actor like his dad, which is a lot of loving pressure.

Yeah I was under the impression it was supposed to be about Dickie and the race riots, but the recent marketing seems to be making it more of a Tony story (which, you know, we all love Tony, but he already had his story, and as you've all pointed out already, it's TBD if Michael is talented enough for a leading role). I'm kind of worried that something happened mid-production that made them do a direction change that the movie will suffer for, but I'm no Hollywood insider, maybe everything will be fine

and if it's not, well, I'm a simpsons fan, I know how to compartmentalize bad new stuff from old good stuff

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

:lol: I just realized that trailer gave me Cleaver vibes

Same!

PerilPastry posted:

it looks so bad I kept expecting the credits to say it was under Carmine Jr's subspecies

Mike N Eich posted:

Whatever the quality of his actual performance I'm sure he'll be showered in awards, if only as a tribute to his father. But yeah, I certainly don't envy him having those shoes to fill.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I really just think the tone was all off in that trailer. The Sopranos is a slow suburban drama that deals a lot with the banality of life and evil.

That trailer makes Tony out to be a super hero and drones on about his leadership potential and poo poo. That was never what The Sopranos was about. The Sopranos made fun of stories like that.

I'm gonna watch it and I'm sure it won't be terrible but I don't have high hopes. Maybe it will at least give a few more funny lines to quote.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The one thing the trailer nails is Vera Farmiga is excellent casting and her lines dismissing the teacher about Tony being a genius is 100% what Livia would say.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ginette Reno posted:

That trailer makes Tony out to be a super hero and drones on about his leadership potential and poo poo. That was never what The Sopranos was about. The Sopranos made fun of stories like that.
It says that he's intelligent and a talented athlete, not Jason Bourne or whatever.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I was under the impression it was supposed to be about Dickie and the race riots, but the recent marketing seems to be making it more of a Tony story (which, you know, we all love Tony, but he already had his story, and as you've all pointed out already, it's TBD if Michael is talented enough for a leading role). I'm kind of worried that something happened mid-production that made them do a direction change that the movie will suffer for, but I'm no Hollywood insider, maybe everything will be fine

and if it's not, well, I'm a simpsons fan, I know how to compartmentalize bad new stuff from old good stuff

My guess is the Dickie/riots stuff is the first half of the movie and Tony doesn't really come in until later. The trailer itself needs to be a mini story so "rise of Tony soprano" is more marketable than "life of guy who got shot carrying TV trays for his son to watch TV on" It doesn't really make sense any other way since it's already established that Tony is 8 years old during the '67 riots.

Edit: watching it again Ray Liottas character def ages a bit in the two shots we see of him. He goes from dark hair to full grey so I'm betting the film takes place over 10 or so years

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 30, 2021

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Halloween Jack posted:

It says that he's intelligent and a talented athlete, not Jason Bourne or whatever.

Tony never struck me as being particularly bright or adept. He leads by being supremely intimidating. And lucky. And still he dies young.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Posted in another thread and I'm loving dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgBD94cs0T8

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

banned from Starbucks posted:

My guess is the Dickie/riots stuff is the first half of the movie and Tony doesn't really come in until later. The trailer itself needs to be a mini story so "rise of Tony soprano" is more marketable than "life of guy who got shot carrying TV trays for his son to watch TV on" It doesn't really make sense any other way since it's already established that Tony is 8 years old during the '67 riots.

Edit: watching it again Ray Liottas character def ages a bit in the two shots we see of him. He goes from dark hair to full grey so I'm betting the film takes place over 10 or so years

Yeah, I think we're gonna get baby Tony and Janice (and maybe Barb!) as the story focuses on older characters like Jr, Paulie, Dickie and Tony's dad. Looks like they're going to in hard on Dickie's addiction issues so I'm kind of expecting a look at how all this horrible poo poo gets handed down through generations and bad parenting and poo poo.

I'm looking forward to it but kind of torn if I want more in the style of the show, something totally different or something in between. They're kind of in a SImpson's Movie situation with this one, if that makes sense, and don't have the luxury of 13 hours of episodes to build everything so the storytelling is going to have to be different. I liked El Camino a lot but I think that was made easier by focusing on one character and having such a small cast.

I honestly don't know what to expect and I've never seen any of Chase's movies; three of which were made before 1973.

E:

Also, I guess that is Holsten's but it looks smaller in that screen cap. Or more narrow. I didn't catch it.

Can anyone read or make out what the neon sign spells on the right?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 30, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

indiscriminately posted:

Tony never struck me as being particularly bright or adept. He leads by being supremely intimidating. And lucky. And still he dies young.

Honestly I think it's a case of arrested development.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Vichan posted:

Honestly I think it's a case of arrested development.

Okay yeah, good point. In my head I was contrasting Tony with, say, Michael Corleone. But they had a pretty different family life and post-adolescence.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

LUNCHEON

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I think we're gonna get baby Tony and Janice (and maybe Barb!) as the story focuses on older characters like Jr, Paulie, Dickie and Tony's dad. Looks like they're going to in hard on Dickie's addiction issues so I'm kind of expecting a look at how all this horrible poo poo gets handed down through generations and bad parenting and poo poo.

I'm looking forward to it but kind of torn if I want more in the style of the show, something totally different or something in between. They're kind of in a SImpson's Movie situation with this one, if that makes sense, and don't have the luxury of 13 hours of episodes to build everything so the storytelling is going to have to be different. I liked El Camino a lot but I think that was made easier by focusing on one character and having such a small cast.

I honestly don't know what to expect and I've never seen any of Chase's movies; three of which were made before 1973.

E:

Also, I guess that is Holsten's but it looks smaller in that screen cap. Or more narrow. I didn't catch it.

It just says "Luncheon" and you can see the "cheo" part in a reflection on the far left. The left window has a neon sign too but I can't read it. Also on the left there are those yellow or gold boxes with some sort of logo that looks like it starts with a V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raging Slab
Dec 19, 2004

ProperCoochie posted:

It just says "Luncheon" and you can see the "cheo" part in a reflection on the far left. The left window has a neon sign too but I can't read it. Also on the left there are those yellow or gold boxes with some sort of logo that looks like it starts with a V.

The yellow box says Holsten's. It's the box that they package they're house made chocolates in.