Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

white screens on crts were the worst flickery garbage. I had to go to 75 or 85hz before it didn’t bother me. 60hz was unusable for me.

Yeah it was probably that.

What determined being able to run at 75 to 85hz? The video card? I remember rarely having the option to change it to above 60 but it always helped when it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the pixel clock on the video card.

refresh freq = pixel clock / pixels per line / number of lines

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah I vaguely recall it being defined by the DAC? I feel like I remember ads specifically stating the max resolution and refresh that the DAC was capable of.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

oh did u stop posting for a while? lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yeah I vaguely recall it being defined by the DAC? I feel like I remember ads specifically stating the max resolution and refresh that the DAC was capable of.

indeed, and matrox being the best at dacs and literally no other part of making a video card

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

their 2d acceleration l was real good by the time when what mattered was 3d

also they did multi-monitor on one card for pcs really early (excluding four to six figure workstation cards)

also later sold an external box that turned two to three monitors into one monitor for other manufacturers video cards

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
not defining calling conventions as part of defining a platform ABI

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
compilers that consider themselves superior to the platform and define their own calling conventions, and have to thunk to everything that follows the platform ABI

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

eschaton posted:

not defining calling conventions as part of defining a platform

btw there’s a non x86 arch (current and vintage) thread in shsc you might be interested in dropping into

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
linux. lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

btw there’s a non x86 arch (current and vintage) thread in shsc you might be interested in dropping into

thanks!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PCjr sidecar posted:

also they did multi-monitor on one card for pcs really early (excluding four to six figure workstation cards)

I was actually pretty stoked for the parahelia (iirc), since they were working with a game company making what would eventually become Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Unfortunately, that game basically got cancelled then uncanceled then delayed and I just didn't feel like it was worth it to have multiple monitors just to have multiple monitors at that point, since I didn't understand the value of having multiple monitors yet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh wow i forgot abou those

in my experience, there were two kinds of dudes who had bt earplugs: one was the virgin business guy & the other was the chad manual laborer

i once saw a guy with one in each ear

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

dude probably still adds "hd=1" to the URL query params on YT

remember this? people kept doing that poo poo well after it stopped doing anything

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah it was probably that.

What determined being able to run at 75 to 85hz? The video card? I remember rarely having the option to change it to above 60 but it always helped when it did

the monitor also had to support a higher refresh rate at the selected resolution. usually once you hit the monitors max resolution you were limited to 60hz. if it was a big fancy monitor it could do over 100 at lower resolutions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the monitor also had to support a higher refresh rate at the selected resolution. usually once you hit the monitors max resolution you were limited to 60hz. if it was a big fancy monitor it could do over 100 at lower resolutions

i still feel dumb for tossing my viewsonic that did over 60hz for anything under 1600x1200. it was getting blurry for the max but those lower ones were fine and it was 17.5" viewable, not terrible for older games

Volmarias posted:

…since I didn't understand the value of having multiple monitors yet.

i remember when i got my first agp video card so i could double monitor with my v3 3000. it blew my mind being able to toss all my chats on one and game or work on the other with no performance issues or expensive dual monitor cards

i guess i still use that setup for communications; everything on the secondary monitor and to the right side of my desk

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

konfabulator

hell, that entire last year or so of windows xp's life where people were cramming in features from actual modern operating systems with stuff like yahoo widgets, windows desktop search, google desktop, etc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volmarias posted:

I was actually pretty stoked for the parahelia (iirc), since they were working with a game company making what would eventually become Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Unfortunately, that game basically got cancelled then uncanceled then delayed and I just didn't feel like it was worth it to have multiple monitors just to have multiple monitors at that point, since I didn't understand the value of having multiple monitors yet.

pretty sure I got that game through :filez: and it was a perfectly ok space strategy with dreadful plot and cutscenes attached

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

pretty sure I got that game through :filez: and it was a perfectly ok space strategy with dreadful plot and cutscenes attached

I played it way after launch, from steam for like $5. I played a few of the missions, but realized then at it was going to be the kind of game that heavily punished you for any mistakes, so rather than same scumming I just went to something else and never looked at it again.

It's a shame because the game itself had an excellent premise and was supposed to be a sequel to some franchise or another I was excited about.

I'm going to have to use :corsair: a lot more I just realized...

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Stardock WindowBlinds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Two Beans posted:

Stardock WindowBlinds

god i hate joss whedon

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Two Beans posted:

Stardock WindowBlinds

stardock object desktop

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
supreme commander on multiple monitors absolutely owned bones, btw

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

god i hate joss whedon

i googled it. it was firefly.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

President Beep posted:

i googled it. it was firefly.

heh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

IBM OS/2 Workplace Shell

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jabor posted:

supreme commander on multiple monitors absolutely owned bones, btw

Did they actually let monitor 2 be a minimap? I sort of remember it being just a second view, which is nice but having a minimap be a Megamap would really be my preferred thing.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Spreadsheet 2000

previously known as Let’s KISS (Keep It Simple Spreadsheet)

it was written in Prograph

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volmarias posted:

Did they actually let monitor 2 be a minimap? I sort of remember it being just a second view, which is nice but having a minimap be a Megamap would really be my preferred thing.

you could just zoom it out all the way, which would pretty much accomplish the same thing

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Two Beans posted:

Stardock WindowBlinds

litestep

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lightscribe or whatever that thing was that let you burn labels on the top of a disc, I remember thinking that was the coolest thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I wonder if you could generate/discover labels that would induce errors on the disk

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

eschaton posted:

I wonder if you could generate/discover labels that would induce errors on the disk

david langford's basilisk image but for optical media, hell yeah! http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/blit.htm

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lightscribe or whatever that thing was that let you burn labels on the top of a disc, I remember thinking that was the coolest thing

That's because it was.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

carry on then posted:

hell, that entire last year or so of windows xp's life where people were cramming in features from actual modern operating systems with stuff like yahoo widgets, windows desktop search, google desktop, etc.

when XP support finally ended there was a guy in shsc who was absolutely convinced you could carry on getting new updates by paying MS about $100/yr - not understanding that it only applied if you were the size of IBM or a national government and paid $100 per machine (minimum 10,000 machines, price will double every year, etc...)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
no it’s true. my uncle who works at microsoft told me.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sweevo posted:

when XP support finally ended there was a guy in shsc who was absolutely convinced you could carry on getting new updates by paying MS about $100/yr - not understanding that it only applied if you were the size of IBM or a national government and paid $100 per machine (minimum 10,000 machines, price will double every year, etc...)

i remember people figuring out how to pull those updates and it was like watching someone dry off with a towel on a sinking ship

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Volmarias posted:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you could just zoom it out all the way, which would pretty much accomplish the same thing

yeah you couldn't like, leave it zoomed out and click on it to warp your other monitor to that point, but you could leave it zoomed out to maintain your high-level awareness of what was going on

also you could do things like watch a fight to react quickly when you needed to while you were macroing on your other screen

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

i remember people figuring out how to pull those updates and it was like watching someone dry off with a towel on a sinking ship

i love grognards who refuse to give up dying or unsuported operating systems

there were the weirdos who used XP-x64, which iirc used the Server 2003 kernel so kind of actually wasn't XP and had various issues in running as an everyday system. maybe just driver availability issues? i dunno, but you were completely nuts to keep using it once 7 came out.

then you had POSready (lol) 2009, a version of XP intended for point of sale and poo poo along those lines, MS supported that up until just a few years ago. i think there was also some way to get the updates intended for posready and just use them on regular xp.

absolute degenerates

SO DEMANDING fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SO DEMANDING posted:

i love grognards who refuse to give up dying or unsuported operating systems

there were the weirdos who used XP-x64, which iirc used the Server 2003 kernel so kind of actually wasn't XP and had various issues in running as an everyday system. maybe just driver availability issues? i dunno, but you were completely nuts to keep using it once 7 came out.

then you had POSready (lol) 2009, a version of XP intended for point of sale and poo poo along those lines, MS supported that up until just a few years ago. i think there was also some way to get the updates intended for posready and just use them on regular xp.

absolute degenerates

yeah. when notepad++ dropped windows xp support there was a thread of screaming xp users, at least a few calling them classist for dropping support which, just keep using the version that works?