Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how did human babies survive in the wild anyways? weak, slow, noisy, curious, and delicious. and they stay that way for a long while too. just how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Workaday Wizard posted:

how did human babies survive in the wild anyways? weak, slow, noisy, curious, and delicious. and they stay that way for a long while too. just how?

got some bad news about infant mortality rates in the olden days

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my wife received a reverse headbutt like three days ago and her face still hurts.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

kitten emergency posted:

one big thing anti-vaxxers never consider.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

Yeah people could reach pretty normal lifespans but my god, making it out of infancy was a Challenge

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

tbf it’s pretty shocking how good neonatal medicine is these days, given how many babies I’ve seen go through the NICU over the past few weeks. even 40, 50 years ago a lot of these kids would just not make it at all (or their mothers)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

my son spent 6 months in hospital with disseminated hsv1, (100% fatal without intervention). When he goes back to see the doctor for his yearly checkup she's always insanely happy as he's the only one she ever treated that survived without serious complications.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

tbf it’s pretty shocking how good neonatal medicine is these days, given how many babies I’ve seen go through the NICU over the past few weeks. even 40, 50 years ago a lot of these kids would just not make it at all (or their mothers)

when my wife started in the nicu in 2008 they pretty much considered 24 weeks gestation and older as viable. 23 weeks occasionally. now it’s solidly 22 weeks.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I sure am looking forward to when weekends are relaxing again

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
So I'm curious, what specifically is it about weekends that are non-relaxing after having a kid? My boss had mentioned that as well with his kids (ranged like 9-12 iirc), like he said he just has no weekends now. Is it just that they need your undivided attention? Catching up on household chores? All of the above?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

shoeberto posted:

So I'm curious, what specifically is it about weekends that are non-relaxing after having a kid? My boss had mentioned that as well with his kids (ranged like 9-12 iirc), like he said he just has no weekends now. Is it just that they need your undivided attention? Catching up on household chores? All of the above?

for us it’s having a toddler (meltdowns, needs constant supervision) and an energetic 8 year old who sometimes gets annoyed with/likes to provoke his little brother. perfectly normal stuff but it’s also draining.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

small children need 99% undivided parental attention, partly for safety (they are kinda like lemmings) and partly as you are the most exciting and wonderful thing they know about. you can distract them for small periods with things, but the moment you attempt to do anything else then they will demand your attention again. soon work becomes sweet relief from terrible cartoons and that sodding shark song.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

how much envelope paper is too much to eat at 6 months? Asking for a friend

President Beep posted:

my wife received a reverse headbutt like three days ago and her face still hurts.

ours axe kicked me in the kidney this morning while in bed. I thought I'd been punched by my wife to wake me up. she's got a mean kick for something so small

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
when i was putting mini logins into her crib (just before we switched to daybed mode) she jumped as I was lowering her and uppercutted me with her entire body

also if kids developed even further in the womb then maternal mortality rates would be "xenomorph"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

when i was putting mini logins into her crib (just before we switched to daybed mode) she jumped as I was lowering her and uppercutted me with her entire body
A classic move

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
gotta say that the best sound to hear while being a parent is someone else’s kid throwing a fit and knowing for certain that it’s not yours.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MrQueasy posted:

gotta say that the best sound to hear while being a parent is someone else’s kid throwing a fit and knowing for certain that it’s not yours.
same energy
https://twitter.com/kennethlogins/status/1400175765992443907?s=21

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

evil_bunnY posted:

A classic move

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Workaday Wizard posted:

in 1800s london or something like that only 1/5 babies got to the age of five

thats grim. god death was just more normal than not

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Why?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

should’ve gone the calvin’s dad route

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

despite having read the words “human milk” like a billion times over the past month it still sounds weird

I wonder what would happen if you put it in a carbonater

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's got lots more fats and sugars in it than cow milk so i'm guessing it would clog something and be difficult to clean

i heard about people making cheese from it, but the really gross thing is that people will sell their surplus to athletes and bodybuilders

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

OzyMandrill posted:

small children need 99% undivided parental attention, partly for safety (they are kinda like lemmings) and partly as you are the most exciting and wonderful thing they know about. you can distract them for small periods with things, but the moment you attempt to do anything else then they will demand your attention again. soon work becomes sweet relief from terrible cartoons and that sodding shark song.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but the really gross thing is that people will sell their surplus to athletes and bodybuilders
immortan joe: origins

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

gotta say it was kinda funny to watch the kid vomit up a fountain of milk on my wife yesterday. I assume it'll be less funny when it happens to me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

gotta say it was kinda funny to watch the kid vomit up a fountain of milk on my wife yesterday. I assume it'll be less funny when it happens to me.
it's funny if it happens in a way that's relatively easy to clean up

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

it's funny if it happens in a way that's relatively easy to clean up

yeah I think my tolerance for bodily fluid explosions is gonna go way down when they're happening to my nice new carpets and walls rather than the hospitals.

kid update: seems likely that she'll be coming home this week on a bit of oxygen. idk if she actually needs it that much but it seems to help. the NICU doctors are kind of just going in circles at this point, but a developmental pediatrician came by yesterday and said she looks great given the hypothyroidism and is making a lot of progress, so I think the kid is just a couple weeks behind where she "should" be and it'll all come out in the wash over the next month or two. best thing we can do now is get her home because it'll be a lot more restful here (for her, at least, our long national nightmare will just be beginning)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

glad to hear the baby will be coming home.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

when our youngest son came home he was off oxygen but still had to wear a monitor for a few weeks. after that came off we were still paranoid so we got one of those little oxygen monitoring socks for him. beware: in our experience it didn’t fit the best on tiny premature baby feet. had a number of false alarms.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

glad to hear the baby will be coming home.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

kitten emergency posted:

yeah I think my tolerance for bodily fluid explosions is gonna go way down when they're happening to my nice new carpets and walls rather than the hospitals.

lol who's gonna tell em?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rip your nice new carpets and walls

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

kid update: seems likely that she'll be coming home this week on a bit of oxygen. idk if she actually needs it that much but it seems to help. the NICU doctors are kind of just going in circles at this point, but a developmental pediatrician came by yesterday and said she looks great given the hypothyroidism and is making a lot of progress, so I think the kid is just a couple weeks behind where she "should" be and it'll all come out in the wash over the next month or two. best thing we can do now is get her home because it'll be a lot more restful here (for her, at least, our long national nightmare will just be beginning)
That's great!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

rip your nice new carpets and walls

there’s a reason we haven’t painted yet

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

President Beep posted:

when our youngest son came home he was off oxygen but still had to wear a monitor for a few weeks. after that came off we were still paranoid so we got one of those little oxygen monitoring socks for him. beware: in our experience it didn’t fit the best on tiny premature baby feet. had a number of false alarms.

yeah we got one of the monitoring socks too. idk if it’ll have fit problems, kid is getting bigger - 7lb4oz now! she’s really putting away the milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also it seems like she did indeed pass her car seat challenge so kiddo should be comin home once we sort out some logistics :toot: