Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know Siakam had a serious injury and some regression but given some of the offers rumoured for him, a potentially good C prospect and a mediocre-good 1st rounder isn't really enough. We don't know if he's gonna lbe able to make changes or not. This isn't Ben Simmons being clearly rattled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know Siakam had a serious injury and some regression but given some of the offers rumoured for him, a potentially good C prospect and a mediocre-good 1st rounder isn't really enough. We don't know if he's gonna lbe able to make changes or not. This isn't Ben Simmons being clearly rattled.

7th overall pick is being undersold as a mediocre 1st - one of Kuminga, Barnes, or Moody would be available at that pick. If the Raptors are high enough on any of those guys (or another prospect), and think Wiseman will grow nicely, I could definitely see them thinking it's worth swapping Siakam out for an instant rebuild with those two prospects added to whichever of Suggs/Green is at 4 (would make much more sense to keep Siakam if Mobley somehow falls to 4).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

7th overall pick is being undersold as a mediocre 1st - one of Kuminga, Barnes, or Moody would be available at that pick.

pretty good chance none of those guys are better than siakam and I really like moody

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

hifi posted:

mitchell robinson apparently gained 35 lbs

fat or muscle?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Stevie Lee posted:

fat or muscle?

Muscle, but it all looks like it's upper torso.

https://twitter.com/BigKnickEnergy_/status/1408481672971141125?s=19

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

MourningView posted:

pretty good chance none of those guys are better than siakam and I really like moody

Yep that's fair, which is why the trade is not just for the seventh pick - it's also for Wiseman on the assumption that them combined leads to better odds down the road than Siakam alone right now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Also, Mitchell Robinson
https://twitter.com/SpecificNY/status/1409044417852416002?s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The only way the Golden State offer to Toronto makes sense to me is if they're rebuilding instead of reloading and this is just year one of like a four year process. I don't think they need to go that route though, it's so much easier to get back into the mix in the East. Draft well, keep Lowry and they're right there. That poo poo gets expensive though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Yep that's fair, which is why the trade is not just for the seventh pick - it's also for Wiseman on the assumption that them combined leads to better odds down the road than Siakam alone right now.

I’d still probably take Siakam as he’s shown can be a 2nd option on a Championship caliber team with the ring to prove it. I’d say Siakam has shown he’s capable of being an A- player and odds are Wiseman and 7 might be might be B, B+ guys if things turn out reasonably well and I’d rather have the best player in a deal almost every time in the NBA.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

it's so easy to forget in the midst of draft hype that in all likelihood less than half the top 10 are even nba starters. I glanced over the drafts from 2011 to 2018, 80 players all with a few years in the league. 16 top 10 picks are out of the league. 32 are starting, 32 are backups, with a couple of guys how might do either next year but it all comes out in the wash. 1 in 5 of these guys will wash out of the league completely within a few years. Only 40% will be consistent starters. Siakim is a borderline all star, guaranteed starter for the next 5-8 years depending on health. You're taking a big gamble moving him for a couple of prospects, which is the right call if you think you're going nowhere and not one big move from going somewhere, but a bad bet otherwise.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

pseudodragon posted:

I’d still probably take Siakam as he’s shown can be a 2nd option on a Championship caliber team with the ring to prove it. I’d say Siakam has shown he’s capable of being an A- player and odds are Wiseman and 7 might be might be B, B+ guys if things turn out reasonably well and I’d rather have the best player in a deal almost every time in the NBA.

He was the third/fourth option (depending on whether FVV was shooting out of his mind or missing everything) on the Raptors title team, his offensive jump happened the year after they won.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rick posted:

The only way the Golden State offer to Toronto makes sense to me is if they're rebuilding instead of reloading and this is just year one of like a four year process. I don't think they need to go that route though, it's so much easier to get back into the mix in the East. Draft well, keep Lowry and they're right there. That poo poo gets expensive though.

I kinda buy into the Zach Lowe take that more teams will try to be like the Suns and look for that one big move to jump start their team. It doesn't make any sense to me to blow up the Raptors. Give them a normal season and they'll be fine.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ben Simmons should do this and become the 2nd best center in the league

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

paternity suitor posted:

I kinda buy into the Zach Lowe take that more teams will try to be like the Suns and look for that one big move to jump start their team. It doesn't make any sense to me to blow up the Raptors. Give them a normal season and they'll be fine.

Yeah their injury issues were pretty bad. Couple that with losing almost every decent big man in the prior off-season, it's not surprising they struggled.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah their injury issues were pretty bad. Couple that with losing almost every decent big man in the prior off-season, it's not surprising they struggled.

Plus they were in Tampa, which is where I've been staying in hotels for the last 2 months. Not a place for peak performance. Not a place for much of anything except headquartering insurance companies for tax reasons

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Plus they were in Tampa, which is where I've been staying in hotels for the last 2 months. Not a place for peak performance. Not a place for much of anything except headquartering insurance companies for tax reasons

Yeah. I get why trading for somebody like Ben Simmons could be appealing, to address another Raptors trade rumor, but my feeling is he is an awfully expensive roll of the dice.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

zach collins broke his foot again

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Penny is staying in Memphis and this should turn out well :cheerdoge:
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1410047241402957831?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Penny is staying in Memphis and this should turn out well :cheerdoge:
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1410047241402957831?s=19

penny no

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't think of anyone who could relate to college students better than larry brown LMAO

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Its an incredible NCAA violation Voltron which is a thing I would normally be in favor of but Larry Brown should be banished to antarctica

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

larry bronze, imo

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Its an incredible NCAA violation Voltron which is a thing I would normally be in favor of but Larry Brown should be banished to antarctica

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Larry what are you doing?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larry Brown is 80, why does he want to be an assistant

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

larry brown has done nothing but basketball since he was like 6

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Congrats to incoming red shirt freshman Eric Snow.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Congrats to incoming red shirt freshman Eric Snow.

I laughed so hard when he got the smu job and eric snow was his first assistant hire

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I laughed so hard when he got the smu job and eric snow was his first assistant hire

Weren't we all joking about it and then he actually hired him the next day?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Weren't we all joking about it and then he actually hired him the next day?

I made a "does he know Eric Snow is out if eligibility?" joke or something and then he almost immediately hired him

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Sportico/status/1410224098219900930?s=19

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is this still part of The Process?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1410248104532611074

No word if he's there to replace Kidd or just is being hired as a general assistant.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1410395200887873539?s=19

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Welcome Clippers fans. It's always rough when your marquee player gets injured. Even more so when it's a player that has historically carried much worse teams to a championship. While it might be tumultuous now, at least Paul George showed what he was capable of when there was no one else to carry the team. Much like so many other juggernauts from the west, next year will be different.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I wouldn’t mind if next season was similar - it’s been a crazy fun year. Not sure if they can bring everyone back tho.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This was a historic run, hope Kawhi comes back strong. Extremely proud of everyone that isn't Beverley, and a little bit proud of him too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vinestalk posted:

Welcome Clippers fans. It's always rough when your marquee player gets injured. Even more so when it's a player that has historically carried much worse teams to a championship. While it might be tumultuous now, at least Paul George showed what he was capable of when there was no one else to carry the team. Much like so many other juggernauts from the west, next year will be different.

You think this clippers team, healthy, was better than the Beautiful Game Spurs or the Raptors? I think the first would gently caress them up and the latter would be a pretty even series

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

You think this clippers team, healthy, was better than the Beautiful Game Spurs or the Raptors? I think the first would gently caress them up and the latter would be a pretty even series

I was calling this year's Utah, Denver, and Lakers teams juggernauts and lumping the Clippers with them. All western teams, all had an injured star, and all teams you wouldn't be surprised if they won the final against whoever comes out of the East.

I think just about any of those teams could have beat the championship raptors, and I agree it would be close, but I'm too dumb to speculate how they'd do against the Spurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Duncan, even creaky old Duncan, would completely immobilize any of the centers on this team, but I think Lue could work around that more than Pop could work around these Clippers' versatility.

The Raptors matchup would be hard, but I'd love to see it. Lowry vs Beverley, Vanvleet vs Jackson, George vs '19 Kawhi, '21 Kawhi vs Siakam, and whatever the center matchup would end up as. Two Ibakas throwing threes from the top of the arc forever? Zubac vs Gasol? Do they throw Batum in? If so, where?