Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Man the Jump in overall quality and mood and level design between BF4 and BF1 is astounding I completely forgot how awesome BF1 is but man oh man it’s utter bullshit how fast you die in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

sunday at work posted:

Really hope 2042 brings back LMGs having some utility against aircraft.

Put the XM25 airburst back in, but this time with an anti-air fuze. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Cool finally found a server running some DLC.

Hangar 21 was really fun.

Silk Road feels like absolute rear end.

There are two things to do on Silk Road. Annoy everyone else with C4 ATVs. Annoy everyone else with laser designators.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I forgot how much fun a semi-auto shotgun with a 4x and a full choke was. Just pepper snipers with buckshot from 100 metres away as they zig zag hoping it'll help.

Absolutely, I’m a professional Sniper Annoyer as well

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Put the XM25 airburst back in, but this time with an anti-air fuze. :colbert:

The XM25 was cool but it wasn't the 2142 air burst, I could probably still kill people with that thing in my sleep.

Just give us 2143 you tormentors.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sab669 posted:

Cool finally found a server running some DLC.

Hangar 21 was really fun.

Silk Road feels like absolute rear end.
Silk Road as the Americans is all about holding the radar flag with hidden spawn beacons and constantly SOFLAMing the Chinese vehicles as they leave spawn

Silk Road as the Chinese is about capturing and holding all the high ground and the military base.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Battlefield V actually plays well? It still has a lot of bugs (hello spawn bug letting you get stuck after death) but sniping feels so goddamn good

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There's really no other way than as a Random Battlepack Drop to get a Silencer for some weapons in BF4? What a garbage rear end system.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

There's really no other way than as a Random Battlepack Drop to get a Silencer for some weapons in BF4? What a garbage rear end system.

It's been years, so I don't recall 100%, but there should be a set of default unlocks for all weapons, suppressors included

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Theres also so many battlepacks you'll inevitably unlock a bunch by accident and end up forgetting about the system altogether; if you're a little better than me it seems like you unlock stuff almost every round

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, there's this "R2 Suppressor" that is seemingly Battlepack only, but yea there is a regular suppressor available too once I get 80 kills with this gun.

The RFB feels real fuckin' strong, it's made me switch to Engineer more than Assault/Support. And shooting dickheads out of the sky with my AA missiles is the cherry on top.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://videocardz.com/newz/battlefield-2042-will-support-nvidia-dlss-and-reflex-technologies

DLSS and Nvidia Reflex confirmed but absolute crickets when it comes to RTX

quote:

• The Official Battlefield 2042 Console Partner – Xbox: EA and Xbox have partnered to make Xbox Series X|S the official consoles of Battlefield 2042.
  • The Official Battlefield 2042 PC Graphics Platform Partner – NVIDIA: EA and DICE’s partnership with NVIDIA ensures the ultimate PC experience powered by next-gen GeForce RTX gaming technologies, the AI-powered performance boost of NVIDIA DLSS and NVIDIA Reflex’s low latency mode.”
  • The Official Battlefield 2042 PC Peripherals Partner – Logitech: EA and Logitech will work together to ensure players have Logitech integration for their gear, including Logitech’s LIGHTSYNC technology for peripherals and in-game audio presets with optimized EQ for Logitech headsets.
  • The Official Battlefield 2042 Off-Road Vehicle Partner – Polaris: EA and Polaris have partnered to bring players the opportunity to operate authentic Polaris vehicles in Battlefield 2042, starting with the Polaris Sportsman ATV.
  • The Official Battlefield 2042 Gaming Storage Partner – WD_BLACK: EA and Western Digital’s WD_BLACK brand are committed to ensuring Battlefield 2042 gamers have the best possible gaming experience for its vast new world of immersive and realistic maps, and dynamic game play.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

That's pretty strange. People were saying RTX was really good in BFV.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Philman posted:

That's pretty strange. People were saying RTX was really good in BFV.

Performance for it sucked rear end and the DLSS version was the lovely AI trained one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's being developed for consoles first so it's going to support the AMD solution first, and NVIDIA stuff will maybe get patched in later or not at all

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
RTX seems like kind of waste in a multiplayer focused Battlefield. I'll take a stable framerate with screen space reflections and SSAO over ray tracing. Ray tracing is cool and shines in Metro Exodus enhanced edition, but its clear they made a ton of cutbacks to make it run at 60 fps on xbox, I'd rather have a focus on visual clarity and frame rate over bells and whistles. No reason to not offer it on high end PCs though.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
snagged some spotting ribbons playing SOFLAM on Operation Whiteout, Obliteration -
I perched up on top of the lab at the center of the map. it's fun to just spot targets while pubbies spray rockets at every lock-on

Bohemian Nights posted:

Was surprised to see that I had the QBU-88 equipped for all the classes, but it is still a beast for every range and using it was like coming home. Hope the DMRs in nubf feel half as good, because none in bf5 really did.

I hope QBU-88 is in the new one

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Performance for it sucked rear end and the DLSS version was the lovely AI trained one

I thought all DLSS was ai-trained. That’s what the “DL” stands for.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BBJoey posted:

I thought all DLSS was ai-trained. That’s what the “DL” stands for.

The first version of it was, and it required each game to have Nvidia chuck thousands of GPU hours at it and it still sucked. DLSS 2.0 uses tensor cores for doing on-GPU AI matrix math live in a manner that makes high quality temporal upscaling way faster. DLSS 1.9, the one that was debuted in Control and not much else, is a bit of an oddball in that it didn't actually use the tensor cores and technically could have thus run on anything but A) it was only pretty good and not really good and B) Nvidia realized that they could sell even more RTX cards if they made it an RTX only feature.

Unreal Engine has a temporal upscaling solution that is fairly close in quality to DLSS and works on anything. It's closer in function to DLSS 1.9. Unfortunately, AMD decided to release a lovely spatial upscaler instead of just cribbing Epic's notes and cranking out their own implementation of a temporal upscaler and that's why even DLSS 1.0 looks good in comparison to FSR.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think it’s kinda fortunate that I can’t really see a difference in RTX Ultra/Off on Metro Exodus. The lighting looks different, sure, but modern baked lighting/shadows have been decent enough that I am happy either way. I can live without it on 2042, but I’m mostly eager for DLSS.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Graphics card prices are coming down slowly.

Now the real trick is to wait long enough and buy one for as close as possible to MSRP yet not wait too long, lest BF2042 or the next Covid Wave comes and prices go up again.

I really need a new card, my rx480 just doesn't cut it anymore, especially not on WQHD.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After realizing just how badly they nerfed the poor SRAW, I went back to the good old RPG. I'd forgotten just how satisfying this poo poo was :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/oby9Rtb.mp4

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Perestroika posted:

After realizing just how badly they nerfed the poor SRAW, I went back to the good old RPG. I'd forgotten just how satisfying this poo poo was :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/oby9Rtb.mp4

Try the SMAW if you haven't yet. Thing is pretty accurate out to a decent distance and can be more reliably aimed than an RPG.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

buglord posted:

I think it’s kinda fortunate that I can’t really see a difference in RTX Ultra/Off on Metro Exodus. The lighting looks different, sure, but modern baked lighting/shadows have been decent enough that I am happy either way. I can live without it on 2042, but I’m mostly eager for DLSS.

Metro Exodus regular or Enhanced Edition? The bounce lighting in the EE is absolutely bonkers and definitely changes a lot

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Metro Exodus regular or Enhanced Edition? The bounce lighting in the EE is absolutely bonkers and definitely changes a lot

Enhanced Edition doesn't even have a baked lighting solution, its ray tracing only. It really does make a huge difference.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Live At Five! posted:

Enhanced Edition doesn't even have a baked lighting solution, its ray tracing only. It really does make a huge difference.

Yup, raytracing changes entire sections of the game. When its afternoon and you're in a house with windows and no lights on IRL, the room isn't pitch black except for directly where the light is hitting. Light reflects and scatters off of surfaces.

Back to Battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTIxee_oQM

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mustang posted:

Try the SMAW if you haven't yet. Thing is pretty accurate out to a decent distance and can be more reliably aimed than an RPG.

Yeah, I keep bouncing around between that one and the RPG. The SMAW is easier to land hits with, but I keep telling myself that one of these days those extra ~5 damage from the RPG will make the difference when shooting a tank :suicide:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I keep bouncing around between that one and the RPG. The SMAW is easier to land hits with, but I keep telling myself that one of these days those extra ~5 damage from the RPG will make the difference when shooting a tank :suicide:
IIRC the damage between the SMAW and RPG actually is set up in a way that the SMAW almost always takes 1 extra shot to kill. Like a perfect rear shot on a tank with an RPG does 55 damage but a SMAW only does 48, and I don't recall the front numbers offhand but IIRC the RPG takes 4 frontal shots to kill a tank but the SMAW takes 5. Granted if you're using the SMAW at that point the tank's probably at like single digit HP but if he has an engineer buddy that can mean the difference between a dead tank and one that makes it away.

Also remember that your damage is actually modified by the angle that you hit at (further away from 90 degree perpendicular = less damage) so the RPG is slightly more generous on the angles too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Insert name here posted:

IIRC the damage between the SMAW and RPG actually is set up in a way that the SMAW almost always takes 1 extra shot to kill. Like a perfect rear shot on a tank with an RPG does 55 damage but a SMAW only does 48, and I don't recall the front numbers offhand but IIRC the RPG takes 4 frontal shots to kill a tank but the SMAW takes 5. Granted if you're using the SMAW at that point the tank's probably at like single digit HP but if he has an engineer buddy that can mean the difference between a dead tank and one that makes it away.

Also remember that your damage is actually modified by the angle that you hit at (further away from 90 degree perpendicular = less damage) so the RPG is slightly more generous on the angles too.

Yeah, I think the SMAW does 22 to the front of a tank whereas the RPG does 26.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTIxee_oQM

I think this wasn't posted yet.

It's mostly technical stuff.

Except for Hazard Zone, which is...

Not a battle royale but also an evolution of a battle royale, apparently.

:confused:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah EE. Like I said it’s kinda fortunate for me. It’s not really something I notice a whole lot in games that aren’t Minecraft RTX or Teardown.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Yami Fenrir posted:

Not a battle royale but also an evolution of a battle royale, apparently.

:confused:

It's likely a Hunt:Showdown or Escape from Tarkov style game which is are both evolutionary branches of Battle Royales

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

It's likely a Hunt:Showdown or Escape from Tarkov style game which is are both evolutionary branches of Battle Royales

I would love it if 2042 had a mode that was Tarkov But Not Janky As Hell.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Kazinsal posted:

I would love it if 2042 had a mode that was Tarkov But Not Janky As Hell.

Very :same:

The jank is the one thing stopping me from playing, the gameplay looks rad otherwise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tarkov is janky but not really that janky. It just takes too much time to do anything, especially if you suck, unless you’re doing nothing but Tarkov.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Tarkov is janky but not really that janky. It just takes too much time to do anything, especially if you suck, unless you’re doing nothing but Tarkov.

It definitely has one of the highest barriers to entry for a PvPvE game I've played. I love how deeply customizable every little bit of everything is but when you're new you're jumping in with whatever random crap you can fit in your pockets while other people are running micro-tuned hyper-focused rigs. It's like showing up to a paintball match and using the rental gear for your first ever game and the folks on the other team are all running five figures of tourney gear.

Give me the Tarkov style of gameplay but using Battlefield's tried and true systems, gunplay, and sound design, and I'll probably play as much of that as I do 128-player conquest largehuge.

I also gotta say I'm super hyped for the on-the-fly changing of attachments. There are a number of times in BF4 where I've wanted to be able to switch from a mid range optic to a close range optic and a suppressor and back again and I have to try to win a gunfight in a storage shed against some dick with a P90 when I have an M16 and an Elcan 3.4x.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah, my main issue with Tarkov is that everything outside of the actual game rounds is very weird, dense, and overly cluttered/complex. Sneaking through a forest looking for good loot or stalking a player you spotted earlier is fun and good. Needing ten minutes and a wiki to figure out what loving ammo to buy or where to extract from is not. Throwing an actual budget and a few decent UX-designers at the concept could be pretty great.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tarkov isn't Janky at all it's just the BR equivalent of EVE online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Ya'll are smoking crack. Tarkov is one of hte jankiest games I've ever played. Sure you get accustomed to the jank, and I think some people may even love it, but from its control schemes, to its networking problems, to its insanely obtuse penetration systems the game is built on a foundation of jank.