Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

and have been averaging into PRG, which just looks like a slam dunk to me for a long term holding.

This does look interesting at first glance, gonna look a bit more into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ASPS back to chugging along after the Supreme Court ruled that it's time to kick some poor SOBs out to the streets without remorse.

I refuse to believe that decision had any bearing on ASPS's price, though. Was the decision read through tears of laughter? "It is the court's decision that, in the land of gently caress You Got Mine, people will, in fact, get hosed. Did you think this would go any other way? Thank you for promoting good heart health with that humorous case, we needed a breather there."

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else in CRISPR stocks (CRSP, EDIT, NTLA, etc)? NTLA has shot up and is carrying others on its coattails. I'm trying to decide if it is a keep holding or sell and try to pick them up on a dip.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dalstrs posted:

Anyone else in CRISPR stocks (CRSP, EDIT, NTLA, etc)? NTLA has shot up and is carrying others on its coattails. I'm trying to decide if it is a keep holding or sell and try to pick them up on a dip.

I bought 100 of PACB around $34 and had been selling CCs as it dropped. The most recent I sold was a 9/17 $35c and it’s gone over that now. With the CCs I’ve sold, I think I’m just going to let it get assigned and make a total of $500ish on it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Not sure if this is a question for this thread or the Long Term Investing thread but, I have 11 shares of Amazon in my IRA Accounts. I bought them in 2015/16 so they're worth 5x as much now. I'm in my early 30s, not retiring for a long time so I don't need to pull them out or anything but I'm not super comfortable having so much money in a single stock. They represent like a third of the value of my IRA accounts.

I don't know whether I should sell and put the proceeds in a mutual fund or leave it a lone or just keep an eye out for some nebulous "signal" that it'll be a good time to sell. Any advice that you all can give me? Sell all but 1 or 2 shares maybe?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Not sure if this is a question for this thread or the Long Term Investing thread but, I have 11 shares of Amazon in my IRA Accounts. I bought them in 2015/16 so they're worth 5x as much now. I'm in my early 30s, not retiring for a long time so I don't need to pull them out or anything but I'm not super comfortable having so much money in a single stock. They represent like a third of the value of my IRA accounts.

I don't know whether I should sell and put the proceeds in a mutual fund or leave it a lone or just keep an eye out for some nebulous "signal" that it'll be a good time to sell. Any advice that you all can give me? Sell all but 1 or 2 shares maybe?

You could post in both threads and receive twice the posts of opinions :v:

Much like your [posting] portfolio, you want diversification in your retirement accounts. What are the other 2/3rds of your IRA accounts in?

I wouldn't want 33% of my retirement tied into any single company, especially since you probably also have stuff like S&P 500 or some sort of tech bundle that carries a lot of amazon so your true amazon concentration is even higher. I would sell it all now and throw it all into a vanguard target date fund that matches when you plan to retire.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Sit it on them for 20 years. Diversify by saving more and buying other stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

NEGG having a normal one I guess? :confused:

I... honestly have zero explanation for what is happening here. My normal news reporting says nothing. Nothing weird out of the Reddit hive mind. Just a completely inexplicable 60% jump with corresponding volume. idgi

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

tangy yet delightful posted:

You could post in both threads and receive twice the posts of opinions :v:

Much like your [posting] portfolio, you want diversification in your retirement accounts. What are the other 2/3rds of your IRA accounts in?

I wouldn't want 33% of my retirement tied into any single company, especially since you probably also have stuff like S&P 500 or some sort of tech bundle that carries a lot of amazon so your true amazon concentration is even higher. I would sell it all now and throw it all into a vanguard target date fund that matches when you plan to retire.

I've got money in the Vanguard 2040 target retirement fund but I realized a few years ago that was extremely optimistic and so have put my last few contributions into the 2050 target retirement fund which is still optimistic but not as unreasonable. The two of them make up about 45% of my IRA's value and the rest are small positions in random S&P 500 stocks from when I first opened the accounts.

The Vanguard funds are another thing I'm unsure of, do I leave the 2040 alone or just sell now to put into 2050. Does it matter?

Ola posted:

Sit it on them for 20 years. Diversify by saving more and buying other stuff.

I mean, valid. I get worried sometimes that Amazon will finally get regulated in some way that will tank the value but who knows if that will happen or if it will matter.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

if they're in your IRA(s) and there are no tax implications you can do whatever. just sell it, buy some VOO, a week later sell all your VOO and put it all in AMZN, whatever. it's fungible.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got money in the Vanguard 2040 target retirement fund but I realized a few years ago that was extremely optimistic and so have put my last few contributions into the 2050 target retirement fund which is still optimistic but not as unreasonable.

Throw it all in a 2022 target fund so you can retire next year!

You should see what those funds are actually invested in. They are both decently far away so it shouldn’t make much of a difference. The 2040 fund probably has a slightly higher percent of fixed income than the 2050 fund. Why not just reallocate your whole portfolio? You should be able to change allocations without any tax impact right through your account provider.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

well, since i'm a trader, i would take partial profit and then stop out of the rest if the long-term monthly uptrend breaks. for instance, if the price broke below 2800 and didn't get back over and hold above it within a couple weeks, i'd take that as a signal that momentum is likely shifting. (not a guarantee, just more probable than not)

that way, you lock in really amazing profit on part of the position, but give yourself the opportunity to benefit from further upside. you only get out completely if it looks like momentum is changing

you could modify the above plan by selling nothing and exiting it all if the momentum changes, or whatever... it's up to you. but if you decide to keep any of it, i would use the longer term charts as a guide, and just ride the trend as long as it's going

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Apparently the reason is Newegg got options listed, so now people can engage in even wilder speculation, thus driving the price up.

I am told this is all very rational.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Apparently the reason is Newegg got options listed, so now people can engage in even wilder speculation, thus driving the price up.

I am told this is all very rational.

So it's just gambling then?

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
If the thread title wasnt already perfect I would have gone for "The market can stay irrational."

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

So that IPO is probably looking a little shaky at the moment I assume?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

gay picnic defence posted:

So that IPO is probably looking a little shaky at the moment I assume?

No they are settling for pennies so they can go into the IPO without any further real serious penalties.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Warmachine posted:

NEGG having a normal one I guess? :confused:

I... honestly have zero explanation for what is happening here. My normal news reporting says nothing. Nothing weird out of the Reddit hive mind. Just a completely inexplicable 60% jump with corresponding volume. idgi

newegg is cool so i support this

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

dalstrs posted:

I'm in CRSP but I'm planning to hold for a long time. I think this is one of those things with potential to 10x

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Congrats! If I were in your shoes, I would sell 10 of those shares and take the profit. Keep one share for "fun" and see what happens. Amazon's P/E is pretty high (65) so it's overpriced IMO. Also the profit margin is a little over 6% which is tight. I don't like how Amazon treats it's workers, and think there's going to be problems in the future. As well, the AWS that is also a money maker for them is in danger of outside cyber attacks, so there is risk here. Everything money did a video comparing Alibaba to Amazon so it might be informative to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgmfmxQNo8g I own no shares in both companies.

I would take the money earned and buy shares in Berkshire Hathaway B stock and just let it sit till you retire. (they also own some Amazon btw) Or you can just let it ride on $GOON stock.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I have BRK, but be aware that no matter how much they talk about succession plans, they are definitely gonna take a hit when Warren dies, and he's due.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ARTPUP posted:

As well, the AWS that is also a money maker for them is in danger of outside cyber attacks, so there is risk here.\

MSFT's Azure cloud also kicks the crap out of it. If you are already on AWS it's probably too expensive to move but you are making a misstep if you implement a new AWS implementation when Azure will do it better for less. AWS isn't bad but Amazon doesn't seem to want to put effort into making it better.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baddog posted:

I have BRK, but be aware that no matter how much they talk about succession plans, they are definitely gonna take a hit when Warren dies, and he's due.

I hope he and Charlie pre-empt it and just loving retire. Goddamn boomers, retire already.

Here's one of the two investment successors they have (co-CIOs) at BRK. Living example of why you should actively manage your IRA if you're a good investor (very very low percent of people):
https://twitter.com/CundillCapital/status/1408090682401693705?s=20

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

pixaal posted:

MSFT's Azure cloud also kicks the crap out of it. If you are already on AWS it's probably too expensive to move but you are making a misstep if you implement a new AWS implementation when Azure will do it better for less. AWS isn't bad but Amazon doesn't seem to want to put effort into making it better.

I have done stuff with Google Cloud and prefer it over AWS. You are right that once you are on one of these platforms it is hard and expensive to move off. AWS’ security controls being a cluster gently caress is a reason we see so many stories about a public S3 bucket filled with credit card numbers.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO @ Robinhood

If only there was some kind of metaphor for rich pricks getting spanked and having their ill-gotten gains redistributed to the poor people they exploited

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

paternity suitor posted:

I'm in CRSP but I'm planning to hold for a long time. I think this is one of those things with potential to 10x

I agree, my thought process is that these stocks tend to regress some after they shoot up and I could buy back in then, but that only works until it doesn't.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i might be insanely stupid but the trailer for the F150 Lightning was really epic to me. moving some poo poo into F lol. lets find out

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

i might be insanely stupid but the trailer for the F150 Lightning was really epic to me. moving some poo poo into F lol. lets find out

They got a gang of good models coming out. Was told by the dude who I buy all my work vans from chips are coming in and the production lines for fleet vehicle are doing work. All the vans I put on order last year are being produced in the next month.

Now my main gripe is BETZ.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

dalstrs posted:

I agree, my thought process is that these stocks tend to regress some after they shoot up and I could buy back in then, but that only works until it doesn't.

I normally do that too with my individual stocks, but that's also because I'm almost always a medium term investor/trader with a clear exit point in mind. That's worked really well to get consistent 25-30% gains, but it's also pushed me away from letting some stocks ride even though I loved them long term. I don't even want to think about how rich I'd be if I held Square and Shopify. Obviously there's hindsight bias there, and maybe (probably) I'm wrong about the stocks I'm taking a long term crack at, but CRSP is just one of em that I'm letting ride without even tempting myself to take profits.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Smythe posted:

It's already pretty high for F.

So I bought a couple hundred shares and protective puts as well. The stock has outpaced the puts so far.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Smythe posted:

“F” yes!!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I want to wager and probably lose a couple hundred that I can afford to lose on the stock market. What's my best bet for app/brokerage where I can trade from my phone? I want to lose money to my own stupidity rather than scams.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Smythe posted:

I’ve been sitting on some F for a while now. I bought it right after the Texas power issues this winter when I found about the sick upcoming F150 with a generator

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I have a great biotech penny stock for you. NDRA is seeking approval for an ultrasound liver scanning device to look for fatty livers. Great you say, tons of people are drinking themselves into liver failure because of the way the world is. Well it's for non-alcoholic liver disease so not quite as useful. Will it get FDA approved I don't know, probably?

An FDA decision will probably come some time this year and the stock should pop up (or go way down). And then after that all 18 employees will definitely be able to monetize this new technology.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Artonos posted:

I have a great biotech penny stock for you. NDRA is seeking approval for an ultrasound liver scanning device to look for fatty livers. Great you say, tons of people are drinking themselves into liver failure because of the way the world is. Well it's for non-alcoholic liver disease so not quite as useful. Will it get FDA approved I don't know, probably?

An FDA decision will probably come some time this year and the stock should pop up (or go way down). And then after that all 18 employees will definitely be able to monetize this new technology.

Hmm. My one concern is who are the current owners of this stock. Do goons collectively hold a large amount of the available shares? I want to know who I’m partnering up with here and I hope they have stairs in their house.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hmm looks good. seems to have gotten all its gambler pump already though?? dunno. analyst goons?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Artonos posted:

never heard of it. anyways, going yolo on this ticker. thanks op

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bought a handful of stock of humanigen HGEN. The wsbog sub currently has a good DD post on it, main takeaway is that it's a short time away from approval for a covid treatment that industry experts are bullish on. It's currently around 17 dollars and the price target is around the mid 35.

Link if anyone's interested

I know next to nothing about any of it but the post sound promising

Apart from that I'm currently betting on a slight correction, the market has been dumping around the same level for a while and there doesn't seem to be that much momentum anymore. I have lost copious amounts of money on puts though so I'm likely wrong again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok options. SOFI is trading around $19.50 right now. I'm pretty familiar with this stock at this point (I guess)

One SOFI $17.50 call buy for 1/21/22 at $6.10

Basically as long as the price goes above $17.50+$6.10=$23.60, say it hits $25 in October ahead of the bank charter, I could exercise this option and make $1.40/share, or $140, right? If it hits $30 that's $6.40/share or $640

If the stock price goes down to $15 I just sell the option for $1, or just don't exercise it and eat the $610 option cost, but I'm not on the hook for buying 100 shares at the higher price. Ideally once it starts trending down below $23 I start looking at exiting my options to minimize losses

Right?