Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
oh boy more Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Bruce Lee discourse

okay so it should be know that while popularly Gene LeBell is known to have choked out Steven Seagal until he shat himself, while Gene in his recounting will often not include the making GBS threads part out of politeness

Now the Bruce Lee fight is based on an experience on set of Green Hornet involving Gene LeBell and Bruce Lee

According to even Lebell’s probably conservative account, Tarantino let the image of Bruce Lee off lightly, because it’s frankly embarrassing for Lee

quote:

According to LeBell, Lee was a working stiff on the set of The Green Hornet but was kicking the poo poo out of the stuntmen. They couldn’t convince him that he could go easy and it would still look great on film. The show’s stunt coordinator, Bennie Dobbins, needed a ringer to deal with Lee, so he called in Judo Gene.

LeBell says when he got to the set, Dobbins told him to put Lee “in a headlock or something.”
So LeBell went up and grabbed Lee. “He started making all those noises that he became famous for,” LeBell said, “but he didn’t try to counter me, so I think he was more surprised than anything else.”
Then LeBell lifted Lee onto his back in what’s called a fireman’s carry and ran around the set with him.
“Put me down or I’ll kill you!” Lee screamed.
“I can’t put you down or you’ll kill me,” LeBell said, holding Lee there as long as he dared before putting him down, saying, “Hey, Bruce, don’t kill me. Just kidding, champ.”
Back on his feet again, Lee didn’t kill LeBell. Instead, Lee recognized that the lack of grappling was a deficiency in the Jeet Kune Do style of martial arts he was developing. So Lee trained with LeBell for a little over a year with LeBell showing Lee armbars, leg locks and takedowns, and Lee schooling LeBell in kung fu kicks.
After training with LeBell, Lee incorporated grappling moves into his film fighting. He finishes off Chuck Norris with a chokehold in Way of the Dragon (1972) and beats a young Sammo Hung with an armbar in Enter the Dragon (1973).

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i dunno that makes bruce lee look like a pretty cool dude if he was able to learn from the experience

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Agreed. A dude who learns from his mistakes, develops past his flaws, then becomes friends with the guy who taught him the lesson is generally a pretty cool dude.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

drat that's a cool story.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

how the gently caress do you think that's embarrassing you loving goofball?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hes goku

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KidDynamite posted:

I guess the whole “Kung Fu master gets his rear end handed to him by random white guy” hurts the mystique of the fictional character Bruce Lee that certain people get really invested in. But that whole movement about “invincible Kung fu masters with invincible oriental knowledge lost to us decadent westerners “ as a whole has kind of died out with the rise of MMA. Otherwise yes it makes Lee look like a great guy and I don’t see how it’s supposed to be embarrassing.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

it’s more the bolded “literally carried around like a child” part whereas the movie made the event far less one sided, I included everything else in the sake of fairness to both Lee and LeBell

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah that's just more proof that Bruce Lee owned.

Also that must have been loving hilarious to see

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

that story is better than this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsPAcLDBkc

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

one thing that people usually fail to mention when this comes up is that tarantino was buddy buddy with and revived the career of david carradine, you know the guy who stole bruce lee's show?

tarantino then portraying lee like an arrogant cocksucker, accurate or not, is in extremely poor taste considering the circumstances

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I bet Carradine could show Bruce Lee a thing or two about cranking it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Judakel posted:

literary twitter is filled with young adult and science fiction authors with a huge chip of their shoulders due to the fact their work is (mostly justifiably) considered poo poo. i am not surprised these mostly cis people attacked her work without even reading it and engaged in freeform association critiques of poo poo they didnt read

Still reminded of that author who'd quit YA twitter and said "I've never seen social dynamics this hosed up, and I've been in prison"

I mean that's literally like something out of Dragon Ball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

the reference to discourse seems to imply this is just a thing twitter started talking about out of nowhere

i do agree the story makes bruce lee sound badass dunno how he was portrayed in once upon a time in hollywood since i didnt see it but probably not quite as badassishly as the story makes him sound

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

never got the complaints about the bruce lee scene in once upon a time, yeah it portrays him as a bit of a blowhard who gets taken down a peg but lee was, kind of famously, a huge dick in his early career because he had to fight every inch to get respect as a chinese man in hollywood, and aside from pitt's char getting a good hit in it's not like the scene portrays him as being full of poo poo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

why do people keep saying that Pitt's character "got a good hit in"?

he taunted the Lee character into trying the same thing then used his momentum against him.

he got a good hit in on the car

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

never got the complaints about the bruce lee scene in once upon a time, yeah it portrays him as a bit of a blowhard who gets taken down a peg but lee was, kind of famously, a huge dick in his early career because he had to fight every inch to get respect as a chinese man in hollywood, and aside from pitt's char getting a good hit in it's not like the scene portrays him as being full of poo poo
its just tumblr poo poo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

imagine not cheering at brad pitt killing the manson family lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Are we really seeing people go all #Girlboss about the Manson family

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i think once upon is one of tarantinos most difficult movies to a lot of ppl but only because it expects you to know like five things about the 60s

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

could barely kill a pregnant woman without leaving a million billion points of evidence

can’t even chamber a round correctly when they’re point blank in front of the most powerful man in the world

couldn’t even sing backup good enough to get Charlie a record deal

some girlbosses

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That Bruce Lee story esp owns because it's basically act one of many kung fu movies. The only way it'd be any better is if LeBell was drunk like Beggar So.

E: also it would be hard for Tarantino to disrespect Lee anymore than the entire genre in the 70s dedicated to exploiting his death. Like it's hard to top the movie where Bruce goes to Hell and meets Popeye.

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 07:10 on Jul 1, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZSharf/status/1410256813241507841 this is such a hilariously unfair bad faith framing of tarantinos remarks. theres no way that he doesnt think that its incredibly cool

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

https://twitter.com/ZSharf/status/1410256813241507841 this is such a hilariously unfair bad faith framing of tarantinos remarks. theres no way that he doesnt think that its incredibly cool

i like tarantino's contemptuous sneer that they chose for the thumbnail

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still kinda wild that Star Vs the Forces of Evil just went full anarchist 'no gods, no kings, no borders' for the final episode entirely unironically for a Disney cartoon

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i saw exactly one episode of that where the villain was some headmistress from an evil school the main characters destroyed in an earlier episode and thought it was kind of weird how convincing her argument was that they were rotten little shits

still not at clear on why she was hassling their parents about that like what does she even get out of it unless shes genuinely concerned about their destructive behavior

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you go and read the article there is absolutely nothing offensive or unreasonable in what tarantino says. basically just repeating that labell story someone else posted

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

i saw exactly one episode of that where the villain was some headmistress from an evil school the main characters destroyed in an earlier episode and thought it was kind of weird how convincing her argument was that they were rotten little shits

still not at clear on why she was hassling their parents about that like what does she even get out of it unless shes genuinely concerned about their destructive behavior

She actually has a whole thing going on, kinda goes all over the place, but the short version is that some teenagers being rowdy isn't really a big problem compared to when you have adults with power and/or authority who decide to gently caress with people for arbitrary reasons

babypolis posted:

if you go and read the article there is absolutely nothing offensive or unreasonable in what tarantino says. basically just repeating that labell story someone else posted

There do seem to be a lot of people who desperately want to cancel Tarantino and are really really bad at it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's funny that Rowling retconned Dumbledore to be gay for Hitler even though it was never hinted at in the books

Then they made a prequel series about Dumbledore and Hitler and afaik it never comes up there either I dunno I haven't watched them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's still the case but they aren't going any more explicit with it than ambiguous meaningful looks from a distance. Possibly one of the most out-and-out cowardly decisions imaginable and if Rowling wasn't overshadowing herself in this instance I think people would be really mad about it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I didn't like once upon a time that much but a) I know nothing about that era or place b) I only saw it once and I didn't like inglorious the first time either

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

josh04 posted:

It's still the case but they aren't going any more explicit with it than ambiguous meaningful looks from a distance. Possibly one of the most out-and-out cowardly decisions imaginable and if Rowling wasn't overshadowing herself in this instance I think people would be really mad about it.

That's probably the funniest way to do it lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think its funny they thought gay stuff was too risque for a mass market release but the alleged heroes literally going you leave hitler alone its not our business to meddle was a ok

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

would like to thank jk rowling for doing her part to encourage fans to unhealthily assume close emotional friendships are inherently sexual

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also quidditch is a surprisingly good predictor for how racist jk rowling is because she assumes natural talent is so important to sport that an eleven year old child with literally no training whatsoever can instantly become one of the best players in the school

this is the real reason why chosen one mythologies tend to be bullshit and rowling deserves the bulk of the blame for them turning into lazy prodigies for all the poo poo lucas gets about promoting chosen one mythologies luke and anakin having to actually learn both how to use the force and develop their own philosophy behind it is pretty tightly integrated into their character arcs

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1410540620934905860?s=19

Now bring back Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal too

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I look forward to yet another montage of Johnathan Frakes telling me I'm wrong.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
An algorithm recommended me something that I didn't want know about.
The fact the algorithm recommended it to me, makes we worry about what I click on,
and what other people are clicking on.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Some Guy TT posted:

i think its funny they thought gay stuff was too risque for a mass market release but the alleged heroes literally going you leave hitler alone its not our business to meddle was a ok

You'd think that she would have, at some point in the process, realized how loving abhorrent that whole plot thread was. I can't imagine being that clueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

also quidditch is a surprisingly good predictor for how racist jk rowling is because she assumes natural talent is so important to sport that an eleven year old child with literally no training whatsoever can instantly become one of the best players in the school

this is the real reason why chosen one mythologies tend to be bullshit and rowling deserves the bulk of the blame for them turning into lazy prodigies for all the poo poo lucas gets about promoting chosen one mythologies luke and anakin having to actually learn both how to use the force and develop their own philosophy behind it is pretty tightly integrated into their character arcs

In a lot of fiction there are secret kings,
bastard sons who are just other worldly
the hobbit has one with Bard the Bowman.
King Author, Jesus, Hercules, and other greek characters

Wagner's - Der Ring des Nibelungen, utilizes a secret king.

Science fiction has harrison Bergons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron
A story about how government votes to make everybody equal but one guy can't stop being amazing.

Gonna guess that part of Rand's novels and capitalism in general is a throw back monarchy.
I think Trump's religion stated they were rich because god wanted them to be.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Jul 1, 2021