Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DourCricket posted:

It would be cool to get a Fiesta run of 5 in with these new versions this year! They said on twitter though that the 'remakes' will be released one at a time, weird that 5/6 are getting pulled at the same time.

Could be a contractual issue of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DourCricket posted:

It would be cool to get a Fiesta run of 5 in with these new versions this year! They said on twitter though that the 'remakes' will be released one at a time, weird that 5/6 are getting pulled at the same time.

I thought they just meant the remakes were getting released separately, meaning that they are separate games that you would have to buy individually?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'd be more tempted if they hadn't just raised the price to nearly $20.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1410002146804785161

Total includes Galick who posted after I said I hit the cap.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Black Mage is pretty much categorically a worse Summoner, yes. Granted, being worse than one of the top five jobs in the game isn't very damning, but when you've got them side by side it really shows. Technically Black Magic is more MP efficient on single targets, but a black mage bouncing Thundaga off of a wall ring to hit Omega is about even in DPS to just throwing around Ramuhs with the Hermes Sandals auto-haste, and everything else melts easier than that.

You'll use the -aga spells for all of three dungeons (Moore, Meatfort, and the Pyramid/Melusine) and then Syldra shows up to vomit death on everything. Literally everything. I don't think there's a boss after that point that is immune to or absorbs wind except ol' Megs.

I disagree. It's close and it comes down to Sleep vs Golem, which have pros and cons, but in general I prefer Black.

Why are you even killing things that give XP to begin with?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, it's 1200 HP to water crystal, we've got an elven cloak, one silk robe, we're bards, and we're wielding daggers.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 30, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hit it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excellent.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1410002146804785161

Total includes Galick who posted after I said I hit the cap.

Dang, I was too slow on both

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

So I'm doing my very first Fiesta run (rolled White/Summ/Ranger/Dancer) and I would like to ask a question for more experienced runners: when is it preferable to grind ABP? I'm about to leave Bal for Drakenvale and would like to know if I should keep farming statues or not bother.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Balache404 posted:

So I'm doing my very first Fiesta run (rolled White/Summ/Ranger/Dancer) and I would like to ask a question for more experienced runners: when is it preferable to grind ABP? I'm about to leave Bal for Drakenvale and would like to know if I should keep farming statues or not bother.
You don't have any jobs that particularly need to AP grind. Just keep someone as your dedicated Ranger, !Rapid Fire takes a fair amount of AP compared to everything else you actually care about. White Mage and Summoner's capstone abilities aren't worth the effort, and Dancer is super quick to master if you decide you want to chase the niche situations (or bug exploits) where you want to use Equip Ribbons. (But honestly, with both White Mage and Summoner, you hardly need to.)

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Balache404 posted:

Statues are probably gonna be the best option for a while with that team if you're gunning for Rapid Fire.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jade Rider posted:

Statues are probably gonna be the best option for a while with that team if you're gunning for Rapid Fire.
I don't think the grind for Rapid Fire is all that necessary. One dedicated Ranger will hit it pretty quick, well before they get the CK, and they don't have any other classes that would be super-hyped to !Rapid when they could use !White or !Summon instead. A White Mage with !Summon and a Summoner with !White can absolutely carry them until they reach that point.

Edit: The only real speed bump I can see is Meatdeath, and Carby makes him a non-issue.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 1, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Balache404 posted:

Statues are your best grind for a long while if you want to grind. I usually do it because I like to see points go up but with that team it's not super necessary.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

nrook posted:

:toxx:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

Another round of this.

Probably could've sold the Sage's Staff but I used it to cast Raise once so it was worth it (it wasn't worth it)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's also worth noting the Objets are weak to Lightning, so your team could all equip !Summon and blitz with Ramuh casts instead of tedious needle usage.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

girl dick energy posted:

I don't think the grind for Rapid Fire is all that necessary. One dedicated Ranger will hit it pretty quick, well before they get the CK, and they don't have any other classes that would be super-hyped to !Rapid when they could use !White or !Summon instead. A White Mage with !Summon and a Summoner with !White can absolutely carry them until they reach that point.

Edit: The only real speed bump I can see is Meatdeath, and Carby makes him a non-issue.

Also with dancer, they'll have a semi-reliable CK user without grinding towards any abilities by the end of the game. Just get a rainbow dress, either with a thief knife in phoenix tower or from one of the old man chests in the castle area of the void. Rapid-fire is very nice but I'd rather the CK on the dancer for NED anyway because of dummy targets.

If they do end up mastering ranger on someone, they have a really easy setup for NED. Summoner with white spamming boosted syldras, dancer with rapid-fire using chicken knife/rainbow dress rapid firing during tree and dancing during NED, white and ranger both with summon to keep golem up and sometimes throw out syldras, and also prime/use the magic lamp to kill the back part while the real damage dealers do stuff.

LynneTheUnlucky
Dec 4, 2013
Equip Ribbons is also useful for trivialising Grand Cross though, given it also allows you to equip Rainbow Dresses as well as the Ribbon, so that might be worth potentially grinding for (though you can save that for World 3, since it's not particularly necessary for World 2 Exdeath).

Speaking of which! I have a new found respect for Dancers now that I've finished my second run of the year - Freelancer/Mystic/Monk/Dancer with a lovely triple crown to go with!

This team actually has a lot of really nice synergy. Monk, of all things, was instrumental for the first two thirds of the game due to giving everyone Barehanded, allowing the Dancer and MK to keep up in damage, even when Mystic's usefulness fell down towards the end of World 2. Monk also appreciated Swords Dance to keep up with offence, though fell off to being a bulky Elixir bot at the end as you would expect.

Getting the Rainbow Dresses was also nice for the 50% Swords Dances, which synergises super well with MK. Flare-Swords Dance is really stupid, y'all.

Super Freelancer was of course the end game and boy does having Monk strength + HP help when slugging it out with Omega. Thundaga-Swords Dance took care of Omega, though I got really luck with Aegis Shield procs and Encircle hitting the useless Monk and Dancer in this fight. Shinryu was Berserked with the Wonder Rod, blinded with a Dark Bow and then Flare-Swords Danced to oblivion. Still took about ten phoenix downs though.

Anyway, this was a super fun run, especially considering the Healing Staff and Hi Potions were my most reliable healing for most of the game!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Ok I'll do it

:toxx: $0.20 for every combined party level under 100 when killing NED, so if your party levels are 25/25/25/24 I'll donate $0.20. If your levels are 1/1/1/1 I'll donate $19.20

In addition, for Omega and Shinryu kills I'll donate an extra $0.10 per level under 100 for each fight.

I'll set a $200 limit just in case y'all go wild on me

full writeup and shin/omega coming soon, but I did my own toxx :toot:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Uhhhh :stare:

Can the Big Bridge enemies be !Caught? I know you can avoid some of the encounters, but I thought there was at least one that was mandatory.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cattail Prophet posted:

Can the Big Bridge enemies be !Caught? I know you can avoid some of the encounters, but I thought there was at least one that was mandatory.

That was one of the trickier bits. They can't be caught, but they can be doomed. Enemies that die from doom give no exp. Getting doom was the tricky bit

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Jose Valasquez posted:

That was one of the trickier bits. They can't be caught, but they can be doomed. Enemies that die from doom give no exp. Getting doom was the tricky bit

I think the only source of Doom by that point is to catch Jackanapes back at the Walse basement.

You don't have a save from before you went to World 2? Too bad, so sad.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Only the first fight is mandatory.

e:

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Dang, I was too slow on both

The toxxes took into account my budget for June, I can probably squeeze in some more donations in July. (I'm just no longer toxxed to do so.)

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 1, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

I think the only source of Doom by that point is to catch Jackanapes back at the Walse basement.

You don't have a save from before you went to World 2? Too bad, so sad.

Yup, they are also a pain to get weakened enough to catch at level 2 and 5. There were several points in the run where if I had missed something I would have been screwed later down the line. I took notes on every boss fight though, so once I finish Omega and Shinryu I'll cover everything.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
OK I fell off a little on this, I managed to kinda get sick in the heat over the weekend, but it's not gonna stop me. I just got my airship back in w3, I think I'm close to the end???

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Shoehead posted:

OK I fell off a little on this, I managed to kinda get sick in the heat over the weekend, but it's not gonna stop me. I just got my airship back in w3, I think I'm close to the end???

Depends if you want or need to do the tablet dungeons, but not a lot of parties do.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BisbyWorl posted:

The good news is that aside from a few very specific cases (generally anything that reads Current HP, so White Wind, Vampire, ????, and similar) the game uses the monster's stats for !Catch/!Release, so a Jackanapes Doom would be pretty accurate.

Low Level Games generally make judicious use of !Catch/!Release for fights that aren't feasible to Bard/Chemist your way to Big Number for, for exactly this reason. (Well, also the reason that captured monsters don't give EXP, but. :ssh:)

EDIT:

Leraika posted:

Depends if you want or need to do the tablet dungeons, but not a lot of parties do.

Reasons that you would generally want to do the tablet dungeons after the first:
  • You have a White Mage or Mystic Knight and want to make use of Holy (and/or Flare Sword).
  • You have a Time Mage and Meteor is your best potential source of damage.
  • That extra Aegis Shield in Istory is too tempting and you have an easy way through Fork Tower. (This is most common with a Blue Mage, honestly)
  • You want more than three legendary weapons (generally only applicable with Freelancer or some very specific diverse setups, and even then you usually don't need to do more than the Island Shrine to get all you need for equipping)
  • You need to unlock Mime/Advance jobs to fulfill the spirit of the Fiesta.
  • You're doing a toxx or have a weird sense of completionism, in which case good luck with Leviathan, he's an rear end in a top hat

Aside from that, you can shoot to the void immediately after you get the airship back, if you're prepared/ready for it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 1, 2021

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
How necessary is having a thief to make Chemist busted? I want to do another run with a Chemist, but if I don’t take a thief will I be able to farm enough to make Chemist do the crazy stuff I hear about?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Action George posted:

How necessary is having a thief to make Chemist busted? I want to do another run with a Chemist, but if I don’t take a thief will I be able to farm enough to make Chemist do the crazy stuff I hear about?

Not very. Of the three (non-Elixir) !Mix items that you can't buy in shops, two are farmable from random encounter drops (Turtle Shells and Dragon Fangs, generally from Grass Turtles in W1/W3 and Zombie Dragons in Drakenvale) and the third (Dark Matter) isn't really necessary except for very, very rare niche cases.

Hell, having a chemist removes one of the biggest advantages of getting Thief, in that you don't need the stealable Hi Potions in W1 if you can just slam together two Pharmacology-boosted Potions and heal almost as much.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 1, 2021

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Action George posted:

Absolutely not necessary at all. Only three reagents are not purchaseable and those three are all drops, usually (always?) even the common drops from their sources.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What is the best menu background color?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Drunk Nerds posted:

What is the best menu background color?

No matter what, FF5 lacks the Demon Chocobo Motif of FF6 or the Rainbow Pride of FF7 so just flail with numbers and settle for the best FF game having second-rate, mortal menus.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jose Valasquez posted:

full writeup and shin/omega coming soon, but I did my own toxx :toot:

:drat:

All the more impressive for pulling it off without Chemist (though arguably with the four next-best classes).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

KataraniSword posted:

The good news is that aside from a few very specific cases (generally anything that reads Current HP, so White Wind, Vampire, ????, and similar) the game uses the monster's stats for !Catch/!Release, so a Jackanapes Doom would be pretty accurate.

Low Level Games generally make judicious use of !Catch/!Release for fights that aren't feasible to Bard/Chemist your way to Big Number for, for exactly this reason. (Well, also the reason that captured monsters don't give EXP, but. :ssh:)

EDIT:

Reasons that you would generally want to do the tablet dungeons after the first:
  • You have a White Mage or Mystic Knight and want to make use of Holy (and/or Flare Sword).
  • You have a Time Mage and Meteor is your best potential source of damage.
  • That extra Aegis Shield in Istory is too tempting and you have an easy way through Fork Tower. (This is most common with a Blue Mage, honestly)
  • You want more than three legendary weapons (generally only applicable with Freelancer or some very specific diverse setups, and even then you usually don't need to do more than the Island Shrine to get all you need for equipping)
  • You need to unlock Mime/Advance jobs to fulfill the spirit of the Fiesta.
  • You're doing a toxx or have a weird sense of completionism, in which case good luck with Leviathan, he's an rear end in a top hat

Aside from that, you can shoot to the void immediately after you get the airship back, if you're prepared/ready for it.

Ooooh OK this is actually pretty helpful. I never got the Blu spell that protects everyone so I think I'll at least try to grab that, but also the aegis shield might be very useful..

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shoehead posted:

Ooooh OK this is actually pretty helpful. I never got the Blu spell that protects everyone so I think I'll at least try to grab that, but also the aegis shield might be very useful..

A good way to remember where Stingrays (the enemy you can learn Mighty Guard from) spawn is that it's right above where you would get the Mime crystal, so immediately south of the mountain locked desert where Phoenix Tower and North Mountain are.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

KataraniSword posted:

Not very. Of the three (non-Elixir) !Mix items that you can't buy in shops, two are farmable from random encounter drops (Turtle Shells and Dragon Fangs, generally from Grass Turtles in W1/W3 and Zombie Dragons in Drakenvale) and the third (Dark Matter) isn't really necessary except for very, very rare niche cases.

Hell, having a chemist removes one of the biggest advantages of getting Thief, in that you don't need the stealable Hi Potions in W1 if you can just slam together two Pharmacology-boosted Potions and heal almost as much.

Dark Matter's farmable too, though not as easily. Prototypes in World 1 have it as a 100% drop, though for easy kills you need Blue Mage or Beastmaster. Exdeath's Soul in World 3 drops 100% as well, though again, kind of a rough fight. You probably want Holy damage.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You can fight Prototypes in the Walse Tower in world 3.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So my new run is black/mystic/monk/freelancer, and two things:

1. It was really funny getting black mage and mystic knight immediately off the back of my no spending run. Almost like the universe was trying to tell me something.

2. Brave Blade Y/N? On the one hand, black mage makes randoms a nonissue, monk's gonna need the levels anyway since I've got no other way to make it useful besides "shittier black mage," my only chicken knife friendly command is !Focus which isn't ideal, and flare brave blade backed up by monk strength sounds pretty spicy. On the other hand, there are a lot worse things to be than a shittier black mage, this team's ability slots are pretty much free real estate so it's not like it's going to hurt to fit !Focus in, mystic knight passes on a pretty solid agility score to make those flare blades potentially even spicier, and of course gently caress the brave blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mystic Knight can't use the Brave Blade.