Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What is a Tarkov-like for those who never played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Tarkov isn't Janky at all it's just the BR equivalent of EVE online

You just described an intensely janky *and* hyper micro-managey BR so

George H.W. oval office posted:

What is a Tarkov-like for those who never played it

PvPvE multiplayer FPS with highly detailed gunplay. Join a match, bring in whatever gear you have in your persistent inventory, loot and shoot, optionally shoot other players to ratfuck people, extract with whatever loot you want. If you've played The Division, think of Dark Zone except if you die you lose whatever you have on you. The movement and shooting are modeled on ARMA, and the out-of-match stuff is basically an inventory management and crafting sim.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Skyarb posted:

Ya'll are smoking crack. Tarkov is one of hte jankiest games I've ever played. Sure you get accustomed to the jank, and I think some people may even love it, but from its control schemes, to its networking problems, to its insanely obtuse penetration systems the game is built on a foundation of jank.

Jank is never going to be well defined but I guess I consider jank more unintentional or unfinished stuff. Also more applicable to a game that is not going to be developed or supported any longer. Tarkov is obtuse but they want it to be obtuse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I am absolutely mystified by how empty Battlefield 1 is here on PS4, like at any given time it seems there's literally only one server in the US where there actually are any players, it's downright bizarre how a game so much newer than 4 is way more dead

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wasn't BF4 pretty dead before the announcement as well?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Ugh I wish there was more info on BF2042 After that bomb shell of a trailer, we got the video above which was largely technical information and that vague talk about Hazard Zone.

That drat EA Play or whatever the gently caress it's called is way too far away :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Man battlefield 1 is such an incredible epic experience I love it, it’s a lot better than BF4 in my opinion.

Also wasn’t the first closed beta happening in July? Maybe we’ll get more info then.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Al-Saqr posted:

Man battlefield 1 is such an incredible epic experience I love it, it’s a lot better than BF4 in my opinion.

Also wasn’t the first closed beta happening in July? Maybe we’ll get more info then.

There's something at like, the 22nd of July.

Which is just unacceptably long for how hype I am.

Also hear me out: BF4 is an amazing game. In my opinion, better than BF1 (I never got nearly as much into BF1 than I did BF4).

Or rather... it was. BF4's problem is that that the highs are high but the lows are low.

You can have incredible games that really push your adrenaline, for example, when you're in an attack chopper on shanghai and going on rampage while the entire enemy team tries to kill you.

On the flip side, you can also die instantly repeatedly by stuff you can barely do anything about. Snipers, jets, choppers... you name it. And with how long the game has been out, all of those are now incredibly good at the game (especially the air gods) which can make games absolutely infuriating. Which actually made me feel like my experience in the game got worse than it was closer to launch.

BF1, in my opinion, has a much more "grounded" experience in comparison.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 1, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What the heck the only server I had on my Favorites list is gone today :( I guess the admin didn't pay the bill / pulled the plug being the first of the month?

It was just a solid Conquest Large with all the DLC. Kinda lame that the server browser has a Maps filter but no DLC.

e; actually why do some servers have these little DLC icons but then there are other servers without them that are running DLC maps?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 1, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just change the name to have numbers instead

847713fi31d

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Al-Saqr posted:

It's an alpha technical test. Graybox environment (no level textures) to test netcode and server backend. It was originally supposed to be for "Battlefield Veterans" but the announcement and page were quietly changed to "Player council" ie EA Game Changers, YouTubers, and Streamers

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I didn't really too leaderboards much in bf4 but always did OK points wise and usually felt like I had a good game

Modern warfare i top the leaderboard most games and if I'm not winning I'm not having fun, essentially

I think a lot of that comes down to the map size/player count and style of gameplay (although domination is pretty much conquest with less flags to cap) so it'll be interesting how 2042 does it.

Going back to bf4 and just playing support, throwing ammo and suppressing fire at annoying snipers you maybe can't kill but can piss off enough that they give up is so nice.

Gonna be nice not having jump/shot quick scopes.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tarkov has extreme netcode issues. It’s arguably that game’s biggest fuckup, and Battlestate just wants to add another dozen AK variants rather than addressing that. Assuming they’re even capable of it.

I posted this up thread somewhere, but it was a matter of time before somebody threw a real budget at a Tarkov-lite clone.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yami Fenrir posted:

There's something at like, the 22nd of July.

Which is just unacceptably long for how hype I am.

Also hear me out: BF4 is an amazing game. In my opinion, better than BF1 (I never got nearly as much into BF1 than I did BF4).

Or rather... it was. BF4's problem is that that the highs are high but the lows are low.

You can have incredible games that really push your adrenaline, for example, when you're in an attack chopper on shanghai and going on rampage while the entire enemy team tries to kill you.

On the flip side, you can also die instantly repeatedly by stuff you can barely do anything about. Snipers, jets, choppers... you name it. And with how long the game has been out, all of those are now incredibly good at the game (especially the air gods) which can make games absolutely infuriating. Which actually made me feel like my experience in the game got worse than it was closer to launch.

BF1, in my opinion, has a much more "grounded" experience in comparison.

I'm going to try BF1 again based on this, because I love BF4 but if one more motherfucker in a loving helicopter ffffffFFFFF

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm going to try BF1 again based on this, because I love BF4 but if one more motherfucker in a loving helicopter ffffffFFFFF

BF1 is extremely accessible and fun still. If you're on PC steer clear of DICE/Official servers to lower your chance of running into cheaters.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
BF1 is great, but on certain maps, and especially on the operations game mode, attack planes can be more oppressive to infantry then any of the air in BF4 was.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

I've just been spamming the SA-18 IGLA lately. It's kinda annoying having to bait out the flares, so it's essentially 2 shots to take out a heli... But yea I've gotten a lot of vehicle hunter ribbons the last few days.

I had to swap to the RPG for a round recently because holy poo poo tank spam, but I did manage to pick a low-flying chopper out of the sky. Nothing makes you feel like a baller more than that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Vagabong posted:

BF1 is great, but on certain maps, and especially on the operations game mode, attack planes can be more oppressive to infantry then any of the air in BF4 was.

The good thing in BF1 is that all small arms fire damages planes so just a few people can deny airspace.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sab669 posted:

I've just been spamming the SA-18 IGLA lately. It's kinda annoying having to bait out the flares, so it's essentially 2 shots to take out a heli... But yea I've gotten a lot of vehicle hunter ribbons the last few days.

In my recent experience, in more than half the cases simply locking them for a second or two tends to have them deploy flares.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vagabong posted:

I remember when the Ilya murmots first got rebalanced after the sea dlc I felt like I was taking crazy pills with how insanely strong it was. A forwards facing camera that spot marks the entire enemy team at infinite range? Bombs that covered roughly three square miles and rearmed in one pass? Way, way too much health? It was nuts

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 1, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sereri posted:

In my recent experience, in more than half the cases simply locking them for a second or two tends to have them deploy flares.

Yea some people just pop their flares the second they hear the noise, but I've encountered a good number of pilots who seem to wait a bit longer :shrug:

I don't know how to fly, I assume there's a cooldown between being able to flares? And probably an ammo capacity?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sky gods in the modern games I feel like you have a much better chance of at least forcing them to gently caress off to other airspace. I think I've survived the BF1 plane grenade drop literally twice and died to it many, many more times than that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I remember when the Ilya murmots first got rebalanced after the sea dlc I felt like I was taking crazy pills with how insanely strong it was. A forwards facing camera that spot marks the entire enemy team at infinite range? Bombs that covered roughly three square miles and rearmed in one pass? Way, way too much health? It was nuts

It's still really drat strong but it's hilarious watching a coordinated team on defense in Operations just focus melt them down with Burton LMRs and AA rocket guns

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Sab669 posted:

What the heck the only server I had on my Favorites list is gone today :( I guess the admin didn't pay the bill / pulled the plug being the first of the month?

It was just a solid Conquest Large with all the DLC. Kinda lame that the server browser has a Maps filter but no DLC.

e; actually why do some servers have these little DLC icons but then there are other servers without them that are running DLC maps?

You can filter by map and DLC via battlelog.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jisforjosh posted:

It's still really drat strong but it's hilarious watching a coordinated team on defense in Operations just focus melt them down with Burton LMRs and AA rocket guns

That's the trick, you really only need a couple people willing to return fire. It's just that they're conditioned into learned helplessness versus air threats that most people don't try.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So no Titan mode in this new one then?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

buglord posted:

So no Titan mode in this new one then?

probably not since it's not set far enough in the future

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bring back driveable ships like the carrier/battleship in bf1942 :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There was the carrier mode in BF4 but since that was only on the DLC maps and also not as good it didn't stay populated long.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

priznat posted:

Prob still be able to take it down by jetramming it

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, while it's not far enough forward for full-on flying Titans, there's certainly room for opposing supercarriers or something of the sort. Considering the whole climate catastrophy angle, they could also do something with floating arks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Titan mode but it's bases on tank treads like the cities in Mortal Engines.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, while it's not far enough forward for full-on flying Titans, there's certainly room for opposing supercarriers or something of the sort. Considering the whole climate catastrophy angle, they could also do something with floating arks.

Not necessarily. One of the final maps in BF4 was fought on/around a prototype Titan being assembled.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
A functioning titan would be such an awesome reveal that DICE would never do it

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

drrockso20 posted:

I am absolutely mystified by how empty Battlefield 1 is here on PS4, like at any given time it seems there's literally only one server in the US where there actually are any players, it's downright bizarre how a game so much newer than 4 is way more dead

On PC BF1 still has a good population, I play regularly on Operations servers.

I love BF1 and I'm sad that the series probably won't revisit WWI for many years, if ever. The balance is good, the vehicles are interesting and fun, the setting really lends itself to Operations (my favorite mode), the Dreadnoughts are a fun and interesting addition. It hits a lot of notes just right.

And it addresses a nitpick I've had with BF for years: Airplanes, especially jets, are waaaaay faster IRL than they are in BF games. This is by necessity, a realistic speed and range jet in BF wouldn't work at all. With WWI era aircraft, it suddenly makes sense why the airplanes are so slow!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

priznat posted:

I miss the days of driving your team's carrier far enough off the map where everyone would just get repeatedly out of bounds spawn-killed.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I miss the days of driving your team's carrier far enough off the map where everyone would just get repeatedly out of bounds spawn-killed.

Reason #27 BF1 was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcP3jGZpN0k

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Chronojam posted:

That's the trick, you really only need a couple people willing to return fire. It's just that they're conditioned into learned helplessness versus air threats that most people don't try.
The irony of personal AA between BF4 and BF1 is that despite BF1 AA being generally a lot more effective overall the mechanics of BF4 AA meant that if your teammates weren't doing anything it was easier to at least shoo the enemy air away by yourself, even if you never kill them. In BF1 if you're the only person shooting at planes I generally find the only thing you end up accomplishing is marking your own position with tracers so it becomes this almost prisoners dilemma-eqsue situation where if there aren't enough people shooting at the plane you're better off not shooting either and hoping the plane bombs someone else.

Kibayasu posted:

There was the carrier mode in BF4 but since that was only on the DLC maps and also not as good it didn't stay populated long.
I unironically love carrier assault but don't understand why :dice: made it a 32 player mode. I don't think it'd be drastically more popular due to it being a DLC mode but I'd suspect that if it was a 64 player mode it might show up occasionally in the rotation on those all DLC maps (I think BF4 has the ability to mix multiple gamemodes in the rotation? I'm pretty sure that was possible in BF3).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Insert name here posted:

I unironically love carrier assault but don't understand why :dice: made it a 32 player mode. I don't think it'd be drastically more popular due to it being a DLC mode but I'd suspect that if it was a 64 player mode it might show up occasionally in the rotation on those all DLC maps (I think BF4 has the ability to mix multiple gamemodes in the rotation? I'm pretty sure that was possible in BF3).

Psst, Carrier Assault Large is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

jisforjosh posted:

Psst, Carrier Assault Large is a thing
Large is 32 players, small is 24 IIRC. Small only has like, 3 missile points per map.