Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thinking about Prime knowing that the author was a child rapist makes it really uncomfortable in retrospect, but probably anything made by a child rapist is uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

No not at all. They are both pieces of poo poo, but in the eyes of the law one is guilty and the other is a fugitive. I think it’s also how dc comics has removed all of his work from their digital stores and cancelled reprints but with criterion they did nothing. The fact it’s a kid movie makes it feel even grosser

In the eyes of the law they're both guilty cause Polanski was found guilty and only flead before sentencing. You don't know what you're even talking about.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I imagine that Criterion's mission statement doesn't care that much if the people that created a film were horrible people.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You're acting like it's an intentional act on Criterion's part, when there are a million possible other reasons.

Stuff like they weren't aware of it (this is the first I've heard about this), maybe they haven't repressed the disc since it occurred, maybe there is some license or contact agreement in place, maybe they're not thinking about it because he isn't getting paid shy residuals. They're a company with hundreds of titles and constantly working on new titles and maybe the work to remove it hasn't been a priority.

Have you reached out to them about it? Maybe instead of assuming bad intentions, maybe it's just something they overlook. I haven't heard anyone bring this up. They reasonably might not be aware!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

bobkatt013 posted:

No not at all. They are both pieces of poo poo, but in the eyes of the law one is guilty and the other is a fugitive. I think it’s also how dc comics has removed all of his work from their digital stores and cancelled reprints but with criterion they did nothing. The fact it’s a kid movie makes it feel even grosser

Ah, i wouldn't call Watership Down a kid's movie....

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Roth posted:

I imagine that Criterion's mission statement doesn't care that much if the people that created a film were horrible people.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watership Down was released back in 2015, so it’s unlikely they’re going to open up all the already packaged discs to swap out booklets.

Criterion does seem to be less receptive to putting out films by problem filmmakers in recent years, given that they passed on The House That Jack Built and The Pianist, as well as giving up Sixteen Candles to Arrow in a supposed trade. They also haven’t put out anything by Polanski in seven years (last release was Macbeth) and didn’t fight Paramount to keep Rosemary’s Baby.

So, what’s on everyone B&N sale list? I’m going to go easy for once, but here’s what I’m picking up definitively:

Memories of Murder
Merrily We Go to Hell
Nightmare Alley
Pickup on South Street
Mirror
Bringing Up Baby
The Breakfast Club

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2021

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
At the moment, my BN Wishlist "Highest" Priorities are the ones I'm likely to grab, if shipping becomes available to Australia:

Limelight
The Before Trilogy
Notorious
Magnificent Ambersons
Trilogy of Life
Teorema
Seconds
Crash
The Elephant Man
Grand Budapest Hotel
Breaker Morant
Y Tu Mama Tambien

e: is Mirror coming out during the sale? If so, probably that too, but also I still haven't watched Andrei Rublev.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm going to exercise some serious restraint and just get a couple. Probably Salo and The Lodger. Why I don't own Salo yet is beyond me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Probably because it makes for some awkward conversations with guests. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

So, what’s on everyone B&N sale list? I’m going to go easy for once, but here’s what I’m picking up definitively:

Mirror
Streetwise
Girlfriends
The Damned
Working Girls

maybe Klute or Deep Cover?

I might also upgrade a few DVDs

One Night In Miami later this year

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pickup on South Street
Bunuel box
Female Trouble
Mirror

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm starting a new job tomorrow so I might actually be able to get some stuff this time :woop:

I'll look into getting the Marlon Riggs set and either the Wong Kar Wai set or The Lure

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think I gotta get Il Sorpasso. I saw it last year and it’s got immaculate guys bein dudes road trip vibes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm hoping to grab: Lady Snowblood, Thin Red Line, Videodrome, and Scanners at the very least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ill probably get Isle of Dogs since I haven't seen it yet. Beyond that, I will let chance and whimsy guide me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Ill probably get Isle of Dogs since I haven't seen it yet. Beyond that, I will let chance and whimsy guide me.

Not on criterion yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cloks posted:

Not on criterion yet.

poo poo

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Sale's on, but B&N are loving with me regarding international shipping. Everytime.

e: gently caress it, went with Amazon. Their search is absolutely hosed and so are some of the prices, but they've matched everything and have cheaper shipping/will actually ship to Australia.

Grand Budapest Hotel
Silence of the Lambs
Crash
The Elephant Man
Blood Simple
Gates of Heaven/Vernon, Florida

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 1, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Sale's on, but B&N are loving with me regarding international shipping. Everytime.

e: gently caress it, went with Amazon. Their search is absolutely hosed and so are some of the prices, but they've matched everything and have cheaper shipping/will actually ship to Australia.

Grand Budapest Hotel
Silence of the Lambs
Crash
The Elephant Man
Blood Simple
Gates of Heaven/Vernon, Florida

What is with amazon's search? I've searched many times for specific editions of books that I know are in print and amazon refuses to show them, even if I search by ISBN, but then sometimes they'll show up as a related item under something else. It's infuriating.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What is with amazon's search? I've searched many times for specific editions of books that I know are in print and amazon refuses to show them, even if I search by ISBN, but then sometimes they'll show up as a related item under something else. It's infuriating.

Amazon's algorithm is so advanced, it knows you don't actually want the book you're looking for. It can tell that what you really want is a self-published sci-fi ebook.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Real talk, why not buy books from anywhere besides Amazon? I pretty much exclusively buy books from BetterWorldBooks.com, HPB.com (Half Price Books), and Thrift Books. You may not get 2 day shipping, but the shipping is still pretty fast and (usually) free.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Real talk, why not buy books from anywhere besides Amazon? I pretty much exclusively buy books from BetterWorldBooks.com, HPB.com (Half Price Books), and Thrift Books. You may not get 2 day shipping, but the shipping is still pretty fast and (usually) free.

You're right--I absolutely should and will.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I don't know if this is legit, but I have a suspicion that Amazon's search is made to be deliberately frustrating to make you give up and buy the thing that would make them the most money, even if it wasn't what you wanted.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Not yet. Tomorrow.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

Not yet. Tomorrow.

It's definitely live now, and has been for hours.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does Zatoichi not even have a page on B&Ns site anymore?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Franchescanado posted:

It's definitely live now, and has been for hours.

It's not in stores yet at least.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It's not in stores yet at least.

Posted in another thread, but the BN website definitely had sales prices this morning, but it was prematurely updated. They reverted it back to regular MSRP prices around lunchtime, and the sales prices will come back tomorrow as originally planned.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Going to try to put together a recs video later, but I thought I’d post a list of stuff you should not purchase (or at least take caution):

Akira Kurosawa:

Criterion has the rights to nearly all of Kurosawa’s 30 feature films, with the only exceptions being Kagemusha (Fox/Disney), Ran (StudioCanal), and Dreams (Warner). The rest are mostly Kadokawa/Daiei or Toho titles (Dersu Uzala is Mosfilm). After comprehensive box sets for Bergman, Varda, and Fellini, it’s beyond obvious that one of the next “big boxes” will have to be the Emperor’s complete works. However, when this will happen is the real question. The theoretical complete box set would likely upgrade several titles (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and High and Low were done in the 2000s for their remastered DVDs and later Blu-rays) as well as be the debut DVD-to-Blu upgrade for at least half of his films.

Caveat titles due to newer masters existing or quality issues:

Walkabout - New 4K restoration utilized for recent Region B Second Sight special edition Blu-ray, existing Blu-ray from 2010
Salo - New 4K restoration exists (available in Region B from BFI)
M - New 4K restoration exists (available region free from Germany)
The Wages of Fear - New restoration exists with longer cut (available in Region B from BFI)
Children of Paradise - While a 4K restoration, extreme noise reduction. No better edition exists yet.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Recent Region B Arrow edition used new 4K remaster while this uses a very old master
The Killers (1946/1964) - Newer 4K restorations exist, German UHD exists for the ‘64 Siegel film.
Naked Lunch - Newer 4K restoration underway, likely coming from Arrow in Region B
3 Women - Arrow Region B edition uses newer 4K restoration
The Leopard - Vastly superior 4K restoration exists while this uses a mid-2000s transfer with digital artifacting
The Battle of Algiers - Newer 4K restoration exists
F for Fake - New 4K restoration premiering at Cannes Classics, but it’s still a very good transfer.
La haine - New 4K restoration available in Region B via BFI
Breathless - New 4K restoration available in UK from StudioCanal on UHD
Berlin Alexanderplatz - UK Second Sight edition is 1080i/50Hz to preserve original 25fps, otherwise from same source
The Last Emperor - Cropped to 2.00:1, coming from Arrow on UHD from newer 4K restoration
Wings of Desire - New 4K restoration exists
Paris, Texas - New 4K restoration exists
Close-Up - New restoration exists
The Great Dictator - New restoration exists
Zazie dans le metro - New restoration exists
The Complete Jean Vigo - New restorations exist with additional footage
Anatomy of a Murder - UHD to be included in Columbia Classics UHD Vol. 2 box set with most Criterion extras intact
Dr. Strangelove - Sony UHD coming soon (also in first UHD box) with all on-disc Criterion extras intact
Do the Right Thing - Universal UHD uses same 4K restoration, includes some of Criterion extras
The Elephant Man - StudioCanal UHD (UK) uses same 4K restoration, includes some of the Criterion extras
Parasite - Universal UHD exists, though is bare-bones
Crash - Arrow UK UHD uses same restoration, has considerably more extras except for the Cronenberg commentary from laserdisc

Also, box set overlaps with single-title Blu-ray releases:
*denotes that the box set version is superior to individual release

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story:
Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces

Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema:
Summer Interlude*, Summer with Monika*, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Seventh Seal*, The Magician, The Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence, Persona, Shame, Cries and Whispers*, Scenes from a Marriage, The Magic Flute, The Serpent’s Egg (Arrow), Autumn Sonata*, Fanny and Alexander [theatrical cut]*, Fanny and Alexander [miniseries]*

Essential Fellini:
La dolce vita, 8 1/2*, Fellini Satyricon, Roma, Amarcord*

The Complete Films of Agnes Varda:
One Sings, the Other Doesn’t; Faces Places (Cohen)

100 Years of Olympic Films:
Tokyo Olympiad*, Visions of Eight*

The Essential Jacques Demy:
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Young Girls of Rochefort

World Cinema Project No. 1/2/3:
Touki Bouki (No 1)*, Trances (No. 1)

David Lean Directs Noel Coward:
Brief Encounter

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films:
Godzilla (1954)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Going to try to put together a recs video later, but I thought I’d post a list of stuff you should not purchase (or at least take caution):

Akira Kurosawa:

Criterion has the rights to nearly all of Kurosawa’s 30 feature films, with the only exceptions being Kagemusha (Fox/Disney), Ran (StudioCanal), and Dreams (Warner). The rest are mostly Kadokawa/Daiei or Toho titles (Dersu Uzala is Mosfilm). After comprehensive box sets for Bergman, Varda, and Fellini, it’s beyond obvious that one of the next “big boxes” will have to be the Emperor’s complete works. However, when this will happen is the real question. The theoretical complete box set would likely upgrade several titles (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and High and Low were done in the 2000s for their remastered DVDs and later Blu-rays) as well as be the debut DVD-to-Blu upgrade for at least half of his films.

Caveat titles due to newer masters existing or quality issues:

Walkabout - New 4K restoration utilized for recent Region B Second Sight special edition Blu-ray, existing Blu-ray from 2010
Salo - New 4K restoration exists (available in Region B from BFI)
M - New 4K restoration exists (available region free from Germany)
The Wages of Fear - New restoration exists with longer cut (available in Region B from BFI)
Children of Paradise - While a 4K restoration, extreme noise reduction. No better edition exists yet.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Recent Region B Arrow edition used new 4K remaster while this uses a very old master
The Killers (1946/1964) - Newer 4K restorations exist, German UHD exists for the ‘64 Siegel film.
Naked Lunch - Newer 4K restoration underway, likely coming from Arrow in Region B
3 Women - Arrow Region B edition uses newer 4K restoration
The Leopard - Vastly superior 4K restoration exists while this uses a mid-2000s transfer with digital artifacting
The Battle of Algiers - Newer 4K restoration exists
F for Fake - New 4K restoration premiering at Cannes Classics, but it’s still a very good transfer.
La haine - New 4K restoration available in Region B via BFI
Breathless - New 4K restoration available in UK from StudioCanal on UHD
Berlin Alexanderplatz - UK Second Sight edition is 1080i/50Hz to preserve original 25fps, otherwise from same source
The Last Emperor - Cropped to 2.00:1, coming from Arrow on UHD from newer 4K restoration
Wings of Desire - New 4K restoration exists
Paris, Texas - New 4K restoration exists
Close-Up - New restoration exists
The Great Dictator - New restoration exists
Zazie dans le metro - New restoration exists
The Complete Jean Vigo - New restorations exist with additional footage
Anatomy of a Murder - UHD to be included in Columbia Classics UHD Vol. 2 box set with most Criterion extras intact
Dr. Strangelove - Sony UHD coming soon (also in first UHD box) with all on-disc Criterion extras intact
Do the Right Thing - Universal UHD uses same 4K restoration, includes some of Criterion extras
The Elephant Man - StudioCanal UHD (UK) uses same 4K restoration, includes some of the Criterion extras
Parasite - Universal UHD exists, though is bare-bones
Crash - Arrow UK UHD uses same restoration, has considerably more extras except for the Cronenberg commentary from laserdisc

Also, box set overlaps with single-title Blu-ray releases:
*denotes that the box set version is superior to individual release

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story:
Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces

Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema:
Summer Interlude*, Summer with Monika*, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Seventh Seal*, The Magician, The Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence, Persona, Shame, Cries and Whispers*, Scenes from a Marriage, The Magic Flute, The Serpent’s Egg (Arrow), Autumn Sonata*, Fanny and Alexander [theatrical cut]*, Fanny and Alexander [miniseries]*

Essential Fellini:
La dolce vita, 8 1/2*, Fellini Satyricon, Roma, Amarcord*

The Complete Films of Agnes Varda:
One Sings, the Other Doesn’t; Faces Places (Cohen)

100 Years of Olympic Films:
Tokyo Olympiad*, Visions of Eight*

The Essential Jacques Demy:
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Young Girls of Rochefort

World Cinema Project No. 1/2/3:
Touki Bouki (No 1)*, Trances (No. 1)

David Lean Directs Noel Coward:
Brief Encounter

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films:
Godzilla (1954)

holy poo poo, thank you

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm likely sitting out this sale, but this a still a great post that'll be useful later this year when I do participate in one of their sales.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

good info dump

Thanks for the great info, Egbert.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Direct word from Barnes and Noble on twitter is that they're not doing international shipping this sale :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Do you realize you're basically a CineD god? Just wondering if you realize that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sale is live again

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Stopped at B&N yesterday when I thought the sale was on and picked up Portrait of a Lady on Fire and In the Mood for Love (then put them back when they were full price :v:)

Definitely going back for Portrait, though I dunno on In the Mood for Love - I hesitate because there's the box set, but reviews are mixed.

How's The Innocents? Criterion needs to do more horror.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

Stopped at B&N yesterday when I thought the sale was on and picked up Portrait of a Lady on Fire and In the Mood for Love (then put them back when they were full price :v:)

Definitely going back for Portrait, though I dunno on In the Mood for Love - I hesitate because there's the box set, but reviews are mixed.

How's The Innocents? Criterion needs to do more horror.

The Innocents is my favorite adaptation of The Turn of the Screw and a top 5 haunted house movie for me.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
So from what I’ve heard regarding Parasite the extras on the criterion are underwhelming when compared to how much better the UHD looks. The UHD is also $12 on Amazon right now.

do you guys think criterion ever goes UHD??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah when it comes to classic spooky movies The Innocents is top tier.