Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

robinhood proves again and again that it's a clownshow broker and i don't know why anyone uses them when every real broker now offers free trades and low cost options contracts

this is the broker with the infamous "infinite money trick" that basically let people run up huge margin buying power by laundering robinhood's own money through their options desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LanceHunter posted:

So, if Robin Hood goes under, how will its customers be able to access the shares they own? All those infinity pool GME dudes gonna suddenly go from diamond hands to literally-unable-to-sell hands?

robinhood would be bought by someone who wants access to that sweet sweet customer base of rubes they can illegally front-run meme stocks on before it goes under

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The_Franz posted:

robinhood proves again and again that it's a clownshow broker and i don't know why anyone uses them

memes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LanceHunter posted:

So, if Robin Hood goes under, how will its customers be able to access the shares they own? All those infinity pool GME dudes gonna suddenly go from diamond hands to literally-unable-to-sell hands?

lmao literally Unobtanium Hands

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The_Franz posted:

robinhood proves again and again that it's a clownshow broker and i don't know why anyone uses them when every real broker now offers free trades and low cost options contracts

this is the broker with the infamous "infinite money trick" that basically let people run up huge margin buying power by laundering robinhood's own money through their options desk

"i like their UI" seems to be the only thing I hear

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

actually, and I might be misremembering this, if a clearing member goes down the other clearing members are obliged to take on the positions to ensure they can be closed out. that's easy for physical positions,a bit less so for dumbass leveraged ones but you can reasonably assume that you might get aggressively closed out or margin called into oblivions if your internet comedy gold position is moved from clownshoes broker to idk ICE or whoever.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

i think getting approved for things like margin and naked options trading is just a matter of pushing a button too, while the "old man" brokers want you to demonstrate that you actually have some idea of what you are doing first

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Brokerages can’t dip into client funds so your money won’t go poof as long as the feds are doing their job (lol)

additionally all brokers are members of SIPC which is sorta like the FDIC but for stock certificates (not the value of the stock but the amount of it)

someone else would buy them long before it got to that point though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah fidelity won’t let me do anything stupid with options while robinhood is like HERE’S THE LOSE ALL YOUR MONEY AND OWE US A SHITLOAD BUTTON

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah fidelity won’t let me do anything stupid with options while robinhood is like HERE’S THE LOSE ALL YOUR MONEY AND OWE US A SHITLOAD BUTTON

wooooooo innovation!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

i had to spend a decent chunk of time taking an options course + pass a test to get approval on td ameritrade, and even then the approval was for defined risk strategies only

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 1, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
drat they might have to hold off on hiring their first dba after all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The_Franz posted:

i had to spend a decent chunk of time taking an options course + pass a test to get approval on td ameritrade, and even then the approval was for defined risk strategies only

have fun taking a class on staying poor

me? School of hard rocks baby :c00lbert:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

School of hard rocks baby :c00lbert:

Would you say “hard rocks” are like “diamond hands?”

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

SubG posted:

drat they might have to hold off on hiring their first dba after all

Did I mention I had a call with them about the fraud platform they're working on? The recruiter on the phone explained:

* Fraud platform being built from scratch, would be getting in on the ground floor
* Needed for IPO launch (when I asked "how soon is that" he replied "2 or 3 months")
* Would be built with *zero tech debt* (he emphasized it in a way that suggested he was told to say that)

I was interested in learning more to be honest, why not right, but its a SF position and I'm not interested in relocating.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

they quintuple downed on it bein the only important thing to randos

they have been pretty correct in this

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ADINSX posted:

Did I mention I had a call with them about the fraud platform they're working on? The recruiter on the phone explained:

* Fraud platform being built from scratch, would be getting in on the ground floor
* Needed for IPO launch (when I asked "how soon is that" he replied "2 or 3 months")
* Would be built with *zero tech debt* (he emphasized it in a way that suggested he was told to say that)

I was interested in learning more to be honest, why not right, but its a SF position and I'm not interested in relocating.

lol so that's why they were hitting me up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/trylolli/status/1410722071982710784

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FAUXTON posted:

same come to think of it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
:nice: thread title

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so is lolli like, an altcoin for pedophiles or something

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shame Boy posted:

so is lolli like, an altcoin for pedophiles or something

All crypto is for libertarians, so yes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gschmidl posted:

All crypto is for libertarians, so yes.

i was going to make that joke but thought it was too obvious :colbert:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The_Franz posted:

i had to do similar just so i could work as a sw dev on an exchange, it was p interesting honestly and gave me a healthy appreciation of how easy it is to gently caress around and find out

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
disrupt and find out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

actually, and I might be misremembering this, if a clearing member goes down the other clearing members are obliged to take on the positions to ensure they can be closed out. that's easy for physical positions,a bit less so for dumbass leveraged ones but you can reasonably assume that you might get aggressively closed out or margin called into oblivions if your internet comedy gold position is moved from clownshoes broker to idk ICE or whoever.

how does all this work when people on the platform have been sold "partial" shares?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kay, jarvis, nikan and teeqo touched a bitcoin and now can only dream of crime and ruin

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

FAUXTON posted:

they and others have been hitting loving everyone. i know a lot of devs who've been getting approaches from lovely crypto company recruiters and sending me the dumbest of them. regulatory side too, they want people who know how to cover up the shenanigans

so far they're all having trouble finding people both stupid and craven enough, which is heartening really

also loving nobody wants to go into an office, and for some reason they want people who will go into an office.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no records of us telling you to commit crimes if they're all in-person meetings

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

divabot posted:

they and others have been hitting loving everyone. i know a lot of devs who've been getting approaches from lovely crypto company recruiters and sending me the dumbest of them. regulatory side too, they want people who know how to cover up the shenanigans

so far they're all having trouble finding people both stupid and craven enough, which is heartening really

also loving nobody wants to go into an office, and for some reason they want people who will go into an office.

yeah there's tons of openings in my field at crypto joints and idk how much they'd have to pay me but it would need to be in actual dollars for starters

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

:nice: thread title

Something about those words with his Twitter avatar made me giggle like the Joker on meth.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shame Boy posted:

kay, jarvis, nikan and teeqo touched a bitcoin and now can only dream of crime and ruin

f

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

divabot posted:

maybe they want to filter for people too dumb to demand to work from home in the middle of a pandemic

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the money is coming from a16z, who are playing softbank-but-it's-crypto

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

divabot posted:

the money is coming from a16z, who are playing softbank-but-it's-crypto

this has its roots in being 8x better than a2z, doesn't it...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

divabot posted:

I'm always looking out for good rustlang jobs and like 99% of jobs posted are for lovely crypto companies that want to pay me 1/5 what I get paid now to do some stupid scam. I haven't even responded or applied to any, because it's resume poison.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

divabot posted:

I want to go into an office at least some days a week. At least that's what I keep saying, but at this point I COULD but haven't yet.

I'm in an expensive part of the country though, if we all went 100% remote housing prices/rent would eventually probably equalize but it'd take awhile but in the meantime...

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

One of the worst people I ever worked with transferred to our team from AWS Blockchain (which is a thing) so I have to imagine the entire industry is made up of people like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ADINSX posted:

One of the worst people I ever worked with transferred to our team from AWS Blockchain (which is a thing) so I have to imagine the entire industry is made up of people like him

still true

https://twitter.com/LuxAlptraum/status/1385198380310278144?s=20