Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the few things i watched on prime worked pretty well. i did watch it on my tv's (preinstalled, permanently advertised by means of dedicated remote button) app, so idk how it goes for the PC app or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

SatoshiMiwa posted:

my sole experience with Prime for anime was when they had Vivid Strike and Lyrical Nanoha available for a short period of time and like half of all the Nanoha episodes had no english subs including all of StrikerS

*sigh* Why does every Nanoha English release have to be cursed

At one point Dream Eater Merry was on prime with something like episodes 2, 7, and 9 available for free, and the rest you had to buy access to.

I'm still baffled as to how that happened.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Episode 3 is gone now, but a few years ago:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1410661992453509120?s=20

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Man I want this to be good, but I'm scared the CGI will look bad

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the pv looked pretty rough, not gonna lie

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my modest hope is that the story will be coherent and the getter pilots will be howling murderous madmen. the latter is a pretty safe bet.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1410655704134868995

drat, i guess the director shouldve just sucked less and handled this

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Shirobako was a documentary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1410655704134868995

drat, i guess the director shouldve just sucked less and handled this

quote:

There are a lot of insensitive tweets from people who don't know the production situation. The outsourced animation on multiple episodes completely broke down, and Millepensee had to redo it all from scratch. The staff ended up being too busy for the later episodes that were set aside for them, which is a large reason for the poor quality. The staff are quite literally killing themselves to deal with this. Please be patient with the delay...
I do agree with the sentiment that regardless of the situation at the studio, what ultimately matters is what gets broadcasted. No matter what the reason, missing the broadcast is heavily frowned upon. But I made this tweet because I just wanted people to know that my friends' studio is battling desperately for the sake of this anime. And the people who are slinging insults won't stop until someone takes their own life.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mentat Radnor posted:

Shirobako was a documentary.

Or that episode of HackaDoll.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Or that episode of HackaDoll.

What about that episode of Paranoia Agent?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Spiritus Nox posted:

My two simplest beefs with Wonder Egg is that I wanted it to do more with Neiru and with Koito and it felt like the final episode was designed for the explicit purpose of telling me to go gently caress myself lmao

About halfway through the season, Rika brought up to the other girls that they could work out their issues through their developing friendship and talking about it.

I didn't realize it immediately, but that's where I wanted the anime's direction to pivot. I was already disappointed by the back half of the season, but I can't think of many worse alternatives to what they decided on in the finale.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my modest hope is that the story will be coherent and the getter pilots will be howling murderous madmen. the latter is a pretty safe bet.

Arc's protagonists are probably the most moral and reasonable of all of Ishikawa's protagonists. That's an extremely relative measurement of course! As for the story, the manga it's based on is unfinished, so who knows what they're gonna do about that!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
First Episode of Peach Boy Riverside is out. Have not watched it yet, but apparently it's out of chronological order.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

MonsterEnvy posted:

First Episode of Peach Boy Riverside is out. Have not watched it yet, but apparently it's out of chronological order.

It was definitely very confusing. Might give it a second chance if it was meant to be, but I honestly got the impression I was watching a sequel season and was already supposed to know the princess(?) & setting.

Edit: Frau was very wholesome tho

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2021-07-01/peach-boy-riverside-anime-airing-out-of-chronological-order/.174683

The article explains it in more detail, including the whys as to choosing to adapt it this way, but it's basically a Haruhi Suzumiya situation of airing the episodes out of chronological order, and on Japanese streaming sites it'll be ordered in both "broadcast" and "chronological" order.

quote:

Ueda gave some context for how the rearranged episodes will air. The first broadcast episode corresponds to episode two in chronological order, while broadcast episode four is episode one in chronological order. However, Ueda assured viewers that the shuffled version shouldn't affect their ability to understand the show, stating that some staff found the rearranged version easier to understand.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
It skipped the first manga chapter.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it felt like a pretty typical "we will flash back to these important things later" type of beginning, and the stuff with demihumans and ogres is reasonably well established. kind of a dry and slow first ep overall though, like we gotta sit through the very obvious boiling blood momotaro genetic reaction thing three times before anything comes of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raposa posted:

Edit: Frau was very wholesome tho

Frau was indeed cute.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doodles posted:

Stay the hell of the internet until you finish. You'll be glad you did.

I'd already gotten a couple things spoiled, but thanks. Pretty much shotgunned it for the last half of the series.

Anime of the year is going to be a very, very difficult call. I don't think we've had a season like this in a long time.

(And that last shot was just cruel.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/gb_donglees/status/1410886322730852357/photo/1

The antarctica staff (minus the writer, the director's writing it herself this time) are making a movie. The website itself mentions a place further than the universe a fair bit so I imagine it's meant as sort of a 'thematic followup.' About boys going to Iceland.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

was hoping ishizuka was making another tv series but this is fine too

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/gb_donglees/status/1410886322730852357/photo/1

The antarctica staff (minus the writer, the director's writing it herself this time) are making a movie. The website itself mentions a place further than the universe a fair bit so I imagine it's meant as sort of a 'thematic followup.' About boys going to Iceland.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She lives...........

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

enjoyed the vanitas premiere

bungo stray dogs seems like the most apt comparison point, in terms of solidly-produced fujo shows and just general tone (SD comedy interludes, yet with drama and future tragedy). but really its all in line with the other and older/uglier/sometimes worse shows like d.gray man or black butler.

i'll read owari no seraph, so don't bug me about it at this time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bro the dig about seraph s3 was to the animation studios not you

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

bones was uninvolved with seraph, hence my confusion

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
the faceless production committees

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dogsicle posted:

enjoyed the vanitas premiere

bungo stray dogs seems like the most apt comparison point, in terms of solidly-produced fujo shows and just general tone (SD comedy interludes, yet with drama and future tragedy). but really its all in line with the other and older/uglier/sometimes worse shows like d.gray man or black butler.

i'll read owari no seraph, so don't bug me about it at this time.

Vanitas's first episode was great.

Really was not enjoying EP1 of Peach boy. Ended up dropping it about halfway through. Maybe I'll come back and finish the episode later, but it took me about 45 minutes to watch the 12 minutes I did because I kept stopping it because I was so bored.

Not really sure what they are going to do with Bakarina to spice things up as it would get pretty stale if they just continued with the vignettes in the status quo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kinda expecting MAPPA to burn out completely within a year.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shadows House "read the manga" ending was expected but at least it resolved a major plot arc so it wasn't to bad...I'm thinking To Your Eternity won't have that luxury of a clean end point.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Fumetsu seems to me like something that will get another season down the line anyway

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I marathoned 86 over the weekend, and it was real good and real emotionally exhausting.

quote:

“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
   Someone had blundered.
   Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and die.
   Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thursday was official season end for me, since sports stream and my Godzilla binge both finished. so now its time to revive shitposting tiers and finally deliver on being the only person to watch Fairy Ranmaru. not going into detail on the shows i feel like there's not more to say, either from just apparent quality like Oddtaxi/Back Arrow/Eternity or the shows i already posted myself out on like Joran/Mashiro.

Super Cub - simply i just had a great time watching this relaxing show and posting about it in discord with my bud dav. one parting shot though, the desaturated color thing is a cheesy gimmick!

Godzilla SP - so i've never seen a Godzilla movie. this show did line up with my vague understanding of what those are like though, in terms of having your monster moments and then all these human characters seeing the issue from different angles and sometimes converging in a fight against (in this case) Godzilla. very heavy on technobabble that is apparently harder to parse in the subs than dub (oops), but i didn't have much issue going with the flow and enjoying it. this was the point where i planned to joke about half of it being fake anyway, like the Orthogonal Diagonalizer...but apparently that is an actual math word. anyway, you're not getting much above the level of stock characters without arcs here, but they're all enjoyable (the AIs especially) and the show looks pretty consistently great, with only a few wonky bits to the monster cg.

OverDress - at this point i can accept that OverDress is a card game show that is not really about card games (yet?). there is a weird vibe to it bc the CLAMP designs, where it feels like a bunch of idiots acting out deleted school eps of Code Geass despite no involvement of Taniguchi and co. but i have enjoyed the antics as well as the teases of some semblance of plot and am looking forward to the second cour delivering on the latter.

Dynazenon - the ending of this didn't really nullify my earlier complaints about feeling like it was an ensemble show loaded up with too many characters to balance, especially in the face of its largely dire kaiju battles (no thematic relevance, uninteresting choreography). but yume and yomogi got enough as the series leads, and overall it felt like a good companion to Gridman (which wasn't without its own issues tbh).

Nomad - lots of discussion on this one already. i don't feel like this really rose above s1's overall quality, though it did have much snappier boxing and actually cohered some of its thematic threads. the second half just feels markedly more scattered and, well we've already debated Sakuma lol. the finale itself was also a bit of a mess with timehopping and a conclusion that doesn't quite come out of left field but is definitely excuted a bit strangely/abruptly. enjoyed it though, and i'm glad for the happy ending to almost everyone who deserved it (rolling my eyes at you, Shirato).

Vivy - this show exists in two modes for me, the well-produced SF action romp and then typical philosophical robot crap. the latter just does not feel like something you can do much interesting with anymore, so it kind of drags the show down for me and the conclusion of the Ophelia arc was basically the point where i started to come down on it. the ending doesn't really offer an interesting conflict or even seem like it resolves its conflict that well? and the finale is largely taken up by what is basically a recap of the prior ep. i do have to give props for the music though, that stuff is used very satisfyingly and is drat catchy.

Burning Kabaddi - the winner of sports stream. there's nothing particularly unique about this beyond the sport it focuses around, though it has some good bits like Yoigoshi's introduction and coercion into the team, Azemichi's gf, and the soccer club's continuing attempts to poach Yoigoshi. it's an obviously limited production, but that is the sort of thing that can add to the charm for me. and in the case of this also being a group streamed show, it just makes me feel overall more positive on it.

Fairy Ranmaru - wow, the fabled show. the fabled post. Fairy Ranmaru: We'll Save Your Heart. so apparently this was a show from the Cute High lineage all along, a thing i didn't realize until a few episodes in after looking at staff. if you have those shows as a comparison point, FR:WSYH is an angstier and sexier take on the concept while the de-emphasis on a school setting makes it feel older (despite the audience being the same). there's also the matter of FR:WSYH very obviously riffing on some Madoka/Utena-style magical girl tropes, with the fights taking place inside domains that usually have some symbolic relation to whatever conflict is affecting that episode's troubled woman, and the transformation sequences being followed by a stair-climbing analogue of the fairy running and leaping through a sparkling void as a character insert song plays.

good time to detour and say with aesthetic inspirations like these the bar is set awful high for this show's production...and it doesn't really deliver lol. the heart domains are fairly uninspired and just riff on existing things like the twitter logo, famous woodblock prints, paintings by Monet/Picasso/etc, and there's not much of anything to note in the fight animation. there is at least one quite nice domain that is just black & white, which allows for some striking visuals even if it falls apart when fighting enters the equation as usual. when it comes to banked animation, the transformations aren't mind-blowingly good (they are perhaps mind-blowingly sexual) while the stair-climbing equivalent scenes are plagued by some awful awful run cycles. design work is at least on point, with the fairy forms being mostly excellent and some of the human forms being decently cute as well. now onto the plots.

the episodic plots in this are pretty whatever, but they are part of what accounts for the darker/older tone and also seem to elicit some shallow praise from people. for the most part these plots take place in the "adult world" as you have women struggling with mlm schemes, predatory loans, abusive workplaces, adultery, and single parenting among other things. you also get some idol and manga industry plots. the predatory loan episode is the only one that really feels like it has an emotional leg to stand on while in general these plots are just set dressing/lip service and the attempts to tie them to whichever boy is solving them feel weak. the angle to this aspect of the show that i found interesting is how the resolutions to these situations aren't always pat, and several of the characters asking for help end up worse off in some way that doesn't even seem connected to something like karmic payback. it gives this stuff a somewhat sinister vibe, which i suppose leads into the overarching plot.

you have a fairly suspicious Queen assigning the fairies to restore her kingdom by helping humans, while fallen fairy Chilka is running around causing the episodic plots. character backstories reveal a dysfunctional fairy society well before whatever directly caused it to fall to ruin, and Chilka keeps hinting at a shared past with amnesiac Ranmaru that will eventually turn him against the Queen. eventually this all culminates in the boys having to take a stand against both the Queen and Chilka for their own reasons, though things end up resolved rather peaceably after a fight that really shows both sides of the stylistically impressive/animated like poo poo coin of this show. overall it's a mixed bag here, i think this overarching plot stuff builds two enjoyable relationships: Homura and Uruu have a good antagonistic allies-to-lovers arc and actually get an on-screen kiss (plus one "kiss" earlier on that i still popped off for), while Sirius and Betelgeuse have a very slight relationship but you do get the reveal that fairy society was destroyed because Betelgeuse flew into a rage after their "breakup," and they ultimately get to reconcile. the downside is it feels like the Queen gets off with a slap on the wrist that is all the more jarring because the finale centers her as its big fight well before Chilka shows up again, and the series ends on a gag about the boys still being in her magical boy team instead of taking a more active role in reforming and rebuilding fairy society, which the whole bit of them communing with their dead(?) parents seemed to be pointing to.

Full Dive - this show definitely benefits from selective memory and some recency bias, because the finale is really just a perfect culmination of the things that are good about the series without all the stuff that dragged it down. like this is a show i considered dropping at a couple points since the week-to-week was just not hitting me with enough good bits while a given episode was just indulging in its mean-spirited nature and giving little sense of progress towards anything. but getting to the end of the arcs like Hiro becoming less of a noncommittal wimp or reconciling with Martin felt worth it, and there are plenty of good gags sprinkled throughout. maybe it just feels fitting that a show about a lovely game some people get pulled into obsessing over, is itself a bit lovely while still hiding some small rewards in the experience. also, Shiori Izawa is in it.

Mars Red - this show never made it back to the ep1 high, but its particular brand of moody drama, especially in the second half, was something that did grow on me. Yamagami being the early standout character to get a little "arc" to himself, and i really enjoyed the setup of the villain before circumstances like the Kanto Earthquake and his bad choice in partners brought him low. aforementioned bad partner results in one of the best second-half episodes as well, so i can't stay mad at him for derailing things. they even pulled off turning one of their leads into a mindless vampire, though saving the culmination of that for the finale made for some frustration.

86 - enjoyed the stuff centered around the 86 in this, and Lena eventually becoming less of a dumbass was a fairly rewarding arc to follow even as it was frustrating. i just can't get over how stupid the premise of this seems, and it also had a way better cour end with ep9? or whatever it was. now we're just in cliffhanger hell until next cour and i have to hope that one might address my issues with the complete lack of foresight from Alban leadership. or they could just all die lol.

Higehiro - this is not my usual bag, but i picked it up hoping for a spicy hot discourse anime because hey, that title and premise. it turned out...well my kneejerk urge is to call it thoughtful, but it definitely has its fraught and clumsy moments. seeing Yoshida support Sayu and help build a network around her was heartwarming, and i enjoyed being frustrated by the fallibility of the characters. it does feel like this was a victim of some abbreviated pacing, mainly with Sayu revealing/dealing with her past and the resolution of the confrontation with her mother, and of course it has some questionable focus on Sayu's body in scenes where there doesn't seem to be a clear purpose to doing so.

Battle Athletes ReSTART - did some posting on this throughout the season and nothing really changed. i'd slot this in roughly at if not below Kabaddi's production level, though they did manage a couple of surprisingly good action cuts partway through. for Battle Athletes, the charm of wildly stupid competitions like the MxC course or Zero G Billiards can somewhat carry limited animation, but this had a deadly combination of too many normal competitions that also just looked bad. initially i felt like the writing problems were an issue of ambition vs grasp, but you could also rephrase that as lacking economy with what they did write. they had these big plotlines for the Lunar terrorism and Control Committee that could pull double duty in establishing the setting and stakes while also exploring the characters related to/involved in them, but they were executed in ways that were both shallow and slow to the point of delaying opportunities for character writing. obviously a lot of this exists outside the scope of a normal sports show, but i kind of liked the political angle this tried to take. there would be a lot to dig into when it comes to causes and motivations of the continuing Lunar Civil War, or establishing the history and depths of corruption in the Control Committee. same goes for characters less involved in these plots, like the circumstances affecting Pluto that motivate Paglia to enter the Great Games, or paying more than lip service for Shelley's experience as an athlete with prosthetics etc. ultimately this had as satisfying an end as it could pull off, and they got me to pop off by having a cover of the original OP lol.

Backflip!! - not sure the exact point where this one went wrong, but sports stream group collectively turned on it. most of the characters just exist to be a very loud quirk that also does gymnastics, and they get "rivals" that are just copies of their quirks with very little to establish a meaningful rivalry anyway. and then you get to the actual competition and the whole thing falls apart under a mind numbingly stupid injury plotline. all the adults in the show just nod and smile about an injured kid forcing his way into competing and ultimately you get zero negative consequences because that just wouldn't be nice! positive aspects: the show looks nice even if seeing the same cg routine gets stale, it still has character animation chops in other scenes, it also has a weirdly good horror sensibility in both the standalone horror ep and Futaba's failure nightmare, and the coach backstory ep was an enjoyable interlude because he's like the single actual character in the show.

Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation - i have not played the game and was just along for the ride with this one. just a very boring show and the plot ended up incredibly standard for something with such a reputation preceding it. i see where this would be elevated considerably by virtue of how games are experienced, but this just feels like particularly weak promotion in their lead up to the new game.

Shadows House - lost interest in this and dropped it halfway through, but the writing was on the wall from the first episode. i feel like a big part of the series charm was its slow build from innocuous slice of life chapters to having the overarching narrative and mystery, and this adaptation very blatantly tipped its hand with the ep1 montage and then rushed to reach the Debut arc, even cutting pretty important additions to the mystery along the way. the choices were obviously made due to their constraints of making a satisfying single cour, but it just ended up in an annoyance to me and is not something i'd recommend to someone. stick to the manga.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the Fairy Ranmaru post :tipshat:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

its kind of hosed up that you put bright green below piss green

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unless i hosed up that's just how tiermaker orders their colors from left to right

but i probably did gently caress up. wait no i didn't

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

why would tiermaker do this... what are they hiding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tiers, probably.