Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's only one "free man" that I respect, and that's Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
are they circumcised though

it matters

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really hate the official trailer.

October 1st release date.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

THIS FILM DEDICATED TO THE BRAVE MUJAHIDEEN FIGHTERS OF ARRAKIS

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

are they circumcised though

it matters

Yes, and they have tiny little deathstills for the tips.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who here is a rude duner

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

well why not posted:

THIS FILM DEDICATED TO THE BRAVE MUJAHIDEENFEDAYKIN FIGHTERS OF ARRAKIS

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, I always basically assumed that Fedaykin and Fedayeen were basically the same word is that probably a correct assumption? :ohdear:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

kaworu posted:

Yeah, I always basically assumed that Fedaykin and Fedayeen were basically the same word is that probably a correct assumption? :ohdear:

Sire, our bird has been poached.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
So, another delay, huh?
Does this movie actually exist?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
No sorry it was cancelled

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Monglo posted:

So, another delay, huh?
Does this movie actually exist?

Aww, it was my birthday treat. :(

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Now it's MY birthday gift! *Harkonnen laugh*

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
can someone post the actual date so I don't have to search it

gently caress, no wonder this thread is slow

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

looks like it was pushed back from October 1st to October 22nd which is a big whatever at this point, it's already been delayed a year what's another 3 weeks?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

10191 After Guild

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

gently caress, no wonder this thread is slow

Here you go https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=dune+release+date

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It may still be October 1st in the UK. UK Goons will be able to tell you if it sucks or not.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

October looks to be a very packed month of movies

1st - The Many Saints of Newark
8th - No Time to Die
15th - Halloween Kills, The Last Duel
22nd - Dune, The French Dispatch,
29th - Last Night in Soho

Just from American movie studios

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man, Chalamete vs. Chalamete in October.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Ingmar terdman posted:

10191 After Guild

sorry, come back when you have the real date, i.e. Before Guild

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Already did it. 2021 CE is 11,140 BG plus or minus a few years since their years are 20 hours shorter.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

There's only one "free man" that I respect, and that's Gordon.

Word

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Roth posted:

October looks to be a very packed month of movies

1st - The Many Saints of Newark
8th - No Time to Die
15th - Halloween Kills, The Last Duel
22nd - Dune, The French Dispatch,
29th - Last Night in Soho

Just from American movie studios

Getting those Oscar noms in under the wire huh

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

SciFiDownBeat posted:

lol what

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yeah, I look forward to Halloween Kills' Best Picture nomination

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

New Dune trailer:

e2: not a new trailer my bad

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 9, 2021

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Well that was a lame prank.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roth posted:

Yeah, I look forward to Halloween Kills' Best Picture nomination

I wish.

Michael Myers should host the next Oscars. I think he would be perfect

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
We watched the Lynch Dune movie last night for the first time in maybe 20 years for me. It's certainly has its problems, but not without its own charm. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, though that may have been 90% art direction and world building, as the meat and potatoes of the film are not exactly up to snuff.

One thing made me feel like I was experiencing the Mandela Effect though - I distinctly remembered seeing a scene where Paul was challenged by a Fremen to a knife duel, and Paul kills him and was then pledged that man's rations of water for the rest of his life. This wasn't in the version I saw and it drove me mad, until I went to youtube and realized it was a deleted scene likely inserted in the TNT versions of the film I saw in bits and pieces on TV. (Though the water part wasn't in any scene I could find, I may have just imagined that.)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mike N Eich posted:

We watched the Lynch Dune movie last night for the first time in maybe 20 years for me. It's certainly has its problems, but not without its own charm. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, though that may have been 90% art direction and world building, as the meat and potatoes of the film are not exactly up to snuff.

One thing made me feel like I was experiencing the Mandela Effect though - I distinctly remembered seeing a scene where Paul was challenged by a Fremen to a knife duel, and Paul kills him and was then pledged that man's rations of water for the rest of his life. This wasn't in the version I saw and it drove me mad, until I went to youtube and realized it was a deleted scene likely inserted in the TNT versions of the film I saw in bits and pieces on TV. (Though the water part wasn't in any scene I could find, I may have just imagined that.)

I’m pretty sure that scene was in the Dune Redux fan edit I watched.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

david_a posted:

I’m pretty sure that scene was in the Dune Redux fan edit I watched.

I too remember it from that, mostly because that scene is in terrible quality and features some weird cuts. It's got that "we found this footage on a film reel in the garden shed of a Chilean monastery" energy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mierenneuker posted:

I too remember it from that, mostly because that scene is in terrible quality and features some weird cuts. It's got that "we found this footage on a film reel in the garden shed of a Chilean monastery" energy.

That’s true for like 1/4 of that fan cut though :pwn:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mike N Eich posted:

This is correct, the knife fight scene wasn't in theaters or on VHS until much later releases had come out.

david_a posted:

That’s true for like 1/4 of that fan cut though :pwn:

Adds some genuine Log Lady energy to the Bene Gesserit intro. :D

I appreciate that the fan edit tops out at 480p to try to keep it consistent.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
just listened to the whole series on audiobook over the course of a few months and I'm really REALLY looking forward to the movie

the only thing that kind of irks me the replacement of "jihad" with "crusade", the series is so wrapped up in Islamic imagery and themes that a willingness to compromise on that makes me worried about what else they're going to change

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I get it, but I honestly cannot imagine them using “jihad” in this movie in 2021. The politics surrounding the term make it a lose-lose to include it, while “crusade” is 99% of the way there without particularly offending anyone.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
"Crusade" is probably the more accurate term anyway. "Jihad" is much more nuanced, but presumably Herbert used it purely for Middle Eastern flair.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TerminalSaint posted:

"Crusade" is probably the more accurate term anyway. "Jihad" is much more nuanced, but presumably Herbert used it purely for Middle Eastern flair.

There’s a good Twitter thread here from a MENA sci-fi writer about jihad v. crusade:

https://twitter.com/hdernity/status/1303821094869237760?s=21

Take it with a grain of melange, but someone on the Internet who claimed to have seen the movie specifically said they use the word “jihad” in the movie.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
While "Jihad" is certainly used most often in Dune, the word "Crusade" isn't without prescienceprecedent.

On one side he could see the Imperium, a Harkonnen called Feyd-Rautha who flashed toward him like a deadly blade, the Sardaukar raging off their planet to spread pogrom on Arrakis, the Guild conniving and plotting, the Bene Gesserit with their scheme of selective breeding. They lay massed like a thunderhead on his horizon, held back by no more than the Fremen and their Muad'Dib, the sleeping giant Fremen poised for their wild crusade across the universe.

JIHAD: a religious crusade; fanatical crusade.

JIHAD, BUTLERIAN: (see also Great Revolt) — the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots begun in 201 B.G. and concluded in 108 B.G. Its chief commandment remains in the O.C. Bible as "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

YoursTruly fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Mention of the Butlerian Jihad made me think: it's been a long time since I read past the first book (think I got as far as God-Emperor in my teens), but is Ix the only known world that isn't a feudal nightmare run by warring aristocrats or conquered by brutal religious fanatics? I remember thinking it sounded like the only planet where I might remotely want to live; is there a catch?