Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think people need to keep perspective that the broader public has no idea who Dan Schneider is or the controversies around him. And the reality is that nobody has really made specific accusations. Like you can't have an article that goes "YO THIS GUY'S A PEDO" and list episodes of iCarly with weird feet gags. But you can make an article that is about how this dude kind of mysteriously left Nickelodeon after being investigated and here is a bunch of various perspectives on this guy and who he is including people who are literally saying they were uncomfortable with how this guy acted around kids and are scared of giving their names because this guy will go after them,

Like:

Vegetable posted:

Was it research? A desire to be popular? Former crew members recalled that Justice’s character had a locker on the set of “Victorious” decorated with photos of young men, alongside the words “dudealicious” and “who’s hot?” One of the photos was a headshot of a young Dan Schneider."

Yes, the investigation turned up no further accusations or evidence, but "hmm maybe he was just living the childhood he never had" is some loving way to round that section off.
I take these rhetorical questions as more of, "You make up your own mind why a grown man would be texting children. Anyway, here is an unrelated creepy anecdote."

But I understand I'm being pedantic so I can gently caress off.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

An alleged pedophile said he wants to be "gentler" to his employees, let's for sure get him back to work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I get why an actual news site can't just post that pic and go 'okay we all agree this dude wants to do disgusting things to children's feet right? Like, before we even start the article we all can just feel that coming off him?' but boy would it be funny if one just bit the bullet and treated one of these assholes like they deserve with a big headline of 'local pedophile finally removed from show where he was surrounded with underaged people who he had power over' or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also you can just not write a fawning article about a guy who, at the most overly even-handed, was very clearly and justifiably accused of being a sexmonster and now is returning to the industry where he's surrounded by kids. It feels like you can at least have a better tone than 'ain't he a quirky guy???'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea I get why an actual news site can't just post that pic and go 'okay we all agree this dude wants to do disgusting things to children's feet right? Like, before we even start the article we all can just feel that coming off him?' but boy would it be funny if one just bit the bullet and treated one of these assholes like they deserve with a big headline of 'local pedophile finally removed from show where he was surrounded with underaged people who he had power over' or something.

Unfortunately that is how you get sued, possibly out of existence if your publication isn't big enough.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You really don’t have a frame of reference for the amount of money Dan Schneider represents to people. He is like an Epstein, he connects people, he bridges vast sums of wealth. He has resources available to a fraction of a % of the population.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kangra posted:

The Britney Spears story is a bit less on the judge (it's a denial 'without prejudice') and seems to hint that her attorney might be botching things up (either intentionally or no).

This interview with an attorney who worked on Amanda Bynes' case is more in-depth: https://www.vulture.com/2021/06/britney-spears-petition-to-end-conservatorship-guide.html

Wasn't it brought up that her father chose her attorney? It's intentional. The system is designed to keep people like Britney as property.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wait until you see the articles about Kevin Spacey's return.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't it brought up that her father chose her attorney? It's intentional. The system is designed to keep people like Britney as property.

Her father didn't choose the attorney, he's court appointed. He's also been drawing a $10k a week salary since 2008 and neither he nor the court can provide documentation as to where, how or why that salary was set.

She can't legally choose her own lawyer since the state has found her not mentally culpable so she cane enter into legally binding contracts. A scarier part of that is her father can punish her by having any of her boyfriends charged with rape since she's also not legally capable of giving consent.

According to the state of California she is perpetually 17, which is probably how the sick fucks prefer it.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 2, 2021

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A scarier part of that is her father can punish her by having any of her boyfriends charged with rape since she's also not legally capable of giving consent.

I admit the legalities of conservatories surprise me with horror every time I learn more but this sounds extremely made up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The wealth management firm that was set to enter into shared financial conservatorship with Jamie Spears over Britney has apparently pulled out of the deal, citing they were misled to believe that Britney was voluntarily under conservatorship, though what it sounds like is "we don't need this publicity nightmare." I can't find if a different company may take its place or if it just means daddy Spears gets to continue this sick, sad deal by himself.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Shocking absolutely no one, Cosby’s management rep says the phone is ringing off the hook with offers and they will likely announce plans for a tour once Cosby has finished recuperating from prison

Folks, I’m saying don’t support comedy clubs that book Bill Cosby

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bust Rodd posted:

Shocking absolutely no one, Cosby’s management rep says the phone is ringing off the hook with offers and they will likely announce plans for a tour once Cosby has finished recuperating from prison

Folks, I’m saying don’t support comedy clubs that book Bill Cosby

Dammit, shouldn't he be close to death by now?

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/XingonaB/status/1410835782747623428

https://twitter.com/PhyliciaRashad/status/1410336268995776518

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 3, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All she had to do was not say anything and I would still admire Phylicia Rashad until the day I died. But nope.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

For the life of me I will never understand what people think they gain by sharing their opinions about anything on social media.

She could have simply called him on the phone. But nope, she needs to broadcast to the world that she defends a rapist. I don’t get it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s really easy to only view Cosby through the same lens that we view all other sex crime-guys, and in fact Cosby is probably the most aggressively hosed up of the sex-crime guys, but he was also America’s Dad, he was a National icon, and he was a civil rights leader. MLK’s “I have a dream” speech was delivered with audio equipment Cosby paid for. He put thousands of poor black kids through school.

You’ll be feeling the impact of Cosby denialism long after he dies, exactly like with Michael Jackson, because while he was a serial rapist, he was also one of the most important figures in American media and also in Black History. You literally cannot discuss black history and civil progress in the US without looking at how Bill Cosby changed the game.

So yeah he’s a loving demon and he should be in jail until he dies, but his legacy isn’t going to disintegrate in a few years after being a household name since 1965.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cosby's legacy was running saying that what black ppl really need to do is pull their pants up and be more respectable

I hated Cosby before all his sex crimes came out and always will

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do remember, years ago, being in downtown Oakland on my way to a douchey hipster bar and realizing there was a poo poo ton of older black people wearing nice clothes, then biked by the Paramount and saw Cosby was performing instead of the usual "band I was too old to recognize even though I was barely 30 yet" and it all clicked.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Shageletic posted:

Cosby's legacy was running saying that what black ppl really need to do is pull their pants up and be more respectable

I hated Cosby before all his sex crimes came out and always will

Yeah he willingly let himself become a mouthpiece for the right and seemed perfectly fine with allowing people to say "well I can't be racist since I agree with Cosby." Also one of his early "comedy" albums had a whole thing about buying Spanish fly so he could drug women at a party.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm honestly surprised that Cosby had a career after that Eddie Murphy bit.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
He should have listened to Richard Pryor when he told him to have a coke and a smile and shut the gently caress up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Skwirl posted:

All she had to do was not say anything and I would still admire Phylicia Rashad until the day I died. But nope.

When this first broke a couple of years and all of those women came forward she said to "forget those women" because Cosby was so respectful to her

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyu8J-CkPsU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

So does anybody know what this guy's deal is or if people listen to his opinions on anything? He seems pretty misogynist and homophobic. :shrug:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

King Vidiot posted:

So does anybody know what this guy's deal is or if people listen to his opinions on anything? He seems pretty misogynist and homophobic. :shrug:

He's got an American Flag icon next to his checkmark so I'm betting on conservative fuckwit.

EDIT: Nope, holy poo poo, other way around. He's ultra "black power" crossing into some problematic poo poo, like calling black women who date white men "bed wenches".

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Tariq was made to provide an infinite supply of really bad twitter hot takes. Posting him is basically cheating.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

King Vidiot posted:

He started out as a MRA and pick up artist and is a total piece of poo poo. He is the guy that signal boosted the man with autism that broke down when a woman was yelling at him and turned it around to make it look like a white guy breaking down because a black woman called him out for racism.

He also just released a really awful movie about buck breaking and has some really hosed up ideas about interracial dating.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Crackbone posted:

He's got an American Flag icon next to his checkmark so I'm betting on conservative fuckwit.

EDIT: Nope, holy poo poo, other way around. He's ultra "black power" crossing into some problematic poo poo, like calling black women who date white men "bed wenches".

Is he a hotep?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think any faculty member of respectable universities could get away with publicly defending Cosby today. There's no way they shouldn't revoke her appointment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

B-Rock452 posted:

He started out as a MRA and pick up artist and is a total piece of poo poo. He is the guy that signal boosted the man with autism that broke down when a woman was yelling at him and turned it around to make it look like a white guy breaking down because a black woman called him out for racism.

He also just released a really awful movie about buck breaking and has some really hosed up ideas about interracial dating.

Yeah, like I scrolled through his Twitter page giving him the benefit of the doubt, but then I watched the trailer for "Buck Breaking" and found an article about his hot take on that hotel employee breakdown video. Seems like kind of a piece of poo poo.

Sadly I imagine there are a lot of people blinded by their respect for Cosby (or in this guy's case hatred of women) who have similar opinions about the case and Cosby's release.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skwirl posted:

Is he a hotep?

Tariq is like the proto-hotep and a general favourite cspam laughing stock, being likely an inspiration for Measurehead.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

...but he was also America’s Dad, he was a National icon, and he was a civil rights leader. MLK’s “I have a dream” speech was delivered with audio equipment Cosby paid for. He put thousands of poor black kids through school.

Yes, it wasn't long ago that these were all big selling books:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tariq is a hotep elemential and recently came out with a documentary about how being gay was invented in the 1400s as part of a conspiracy to weaken black men, or something similarly insane.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

First time I heard of him was because he apparently has a habit of going on instagram and bitching at random black women whenever they posted a picture showing them together with non-black men in any context whatsoever. Almost impressive that he managed to get worse than that. :psyduck:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is "hotep" another word for "black supremacist" or am I misunderstanding the term?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is "hotep" another word for "black supremacist" or am I misunderstanding the term?

From an article I read:

“Writing eloquently for The Root, Damon Young defined a hotep as “a person who’s either a clueless parody of Afrocentricity” or “loudly, conspicuously and obnoxiously pro-black but anti-progress.” These are Black people who believe that sexist responsibility, politics, and gender roles are pillars of honor and tools to overthrow racism. As such, they consider gay and feminist “agendas” to be strategic attacks against the fight for Black liberation. They over-indulge in conspiracy theories about everything from aliens to the illuminati and tend to lean towards faux-African motifs and accoutrements in their day-to-day lives.”

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That strikes me as a word that I as a white guy don't get to use. Like Uncle Tom or white wash, I don't get to define or classify somebody's blackness.

I'll still call an rear end in a top hat an rear end in a top hat as necessary though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it does sound like a slur yeah

but black nationalist doesnt seem to do it since it might sound too innocuous and going on a long sentence about how he's a specific flavor of black patriarchal afrocentirc-at-the-expense-of-others misogynist homophobe incel chauvinist alt right conspiracy theorist but black might take too long

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alan Smithee posted:

it does sound like a slur yeah

but black nationalist doesnt seem to do it since it might sound too innocuous and going on a long sentence about how he's a specific flavor of black patriarchal afrocentirc-at-the-expense-of-others misogynist homophobe incel chauvinist alt right conspiracy theorist but black might take too long

I dunno, any kind of nationalist is extremely lovely so calling him a black nationalist seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.theroot.com/hotep-explained-1790854506

- The actual Damon Young article in question