Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Just made my first order in YEARS:

2x25 partagas petite corona especialle
2x25 RG panatelas extra
2x15 HDM epi 1 tubos
1x10 PL Galanes

Splitting with my cousin but that should help me good for a while :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's a nice order goddamn.

Smoked a Padron Cortico last night and loving loved it. It sparked up beautifully and produced huge smoke clouds with lots of classic flavor. Padrons trend a bit light on the draw, so it was a pretty quick smoke, maybe 40 minutes, but honestly that's an excellent build for a small cigar. I loving love Padron.

That reminds me actually, the other day I smoked on of the Padron panatelas. It was super plugged, which is unusual for the brand, but it's certainly a risk with lanceros for sure. The impressive thing was how well it held up to some serious surgery. I cut the whole cap off, reamed it out with the PerfecDraw, and finally extracted the culprit, which was a thick, twisted stem. Even after all that maltreatment I still got a very pleasant 20 more minutes off the cigar.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Golly I've really borked the budget this month. Oh well!

I put in for two 50-packs of Travailleurs on CA. They're truly some of my favorites, and L'Atelier supply seems a little fucky lately so I might as well just get a shitload all at once.

Not sure I shared this, but I was put in charge of finding some smokes for my sister's wedding - budget put us at the EP Carrillo New Wave Robustos, and I think that's going to be a great time. I might bring a LAT56 with me as well, though.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Any of y’all need some lighters?

https://slickdeals.net/f/15096076-s...=latest_for_you

E: my Father’s Day smoke is going to me an 02/04 Monte A (can’t remember the date on it as I’ve had it for 8 years or so). It’s a gigantic cigar so hopefully I can get all my chores done and the kids in bed by 945.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 21, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright y'all, I'm assembling the box pass probably tomorrow and then getting it in the post on Wednesday. Here's the list of people so far:

Kenning
Maksimus54
zuffenphile
Mr. Wiggles
NewFatMike
Gramps/Nexein

If anybody else wants in get a PM to me in the next day or so. Looking forward to kicking this one off!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Heck yeah that's really exciting! The last one was such a treat, even if it was mostly window shopping 😹

I had a Rose of Sharon lancero for breakfast today, really lovely, I wish I had saved more long enough for them to really start shining like the one this morning.

I'm truly wild about these Boswell tobaccos - my little nose burner Rattray's Outlaw is bringing some really yummy heat to this.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Having a LAT54 and I think this is my favorite one so far. I need to try the lancero again, but I think it's smoking much better than the corona and the LAT56.

Its size belies the delicacy of the profile. Very perfumey, rosewater, grass, and a flavor that is like distilled honey.

There's a little peppery spice hiding in there, and a leathery back end.

It's not bawdy and big like the LAT56 - that needs to follow a massive steak dinner or something, and this is no shrinking violet, but it's much more accessible.

Pick one up sometime! More nicotine than it tastes like, too. I'm planning on having these regularly.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hardly counts as a triple post a few days later!

I pulled this monster out of a Surrogates Cracker Crumb last night. Note that the stem is longer than the actual cigar, it was all wrapped up in there. It was probably the best Cracker Crumb I've ever had after that, though!

I also picked up some Semois tobacco and C&D Three Friars (Three Nuns was out, tragically). I'm having my last bowl of Three Nuns right now, so hopefully Three Friars is pretty similar.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Hey thread! It's been a minute; hope everyone's doin well! Decided to go bold on this beaut of a Friday, it's the weekend wheeeee!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

I pulled this monster out of a Surrogates Cracker Crumb last night.

You uhh, want some cigar with your tree branch there, bud? :smuggo:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Broke out another mag46 from the box I split with my cousin.

I can’t say anything I haven’t said before: go deep on Mag 46s while you can.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Earlier this week I smoked the LCA Vanilla Ice Cream and the Chocolate Ice Cream, both were pretty good and then tonight I had an Opus X Lost City. It was good but not $31 good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, it's been a while but I've gotta get back in the thread. First things first: the new box pass has been delivered to the post office and is on the way.

Here's what we're starting with:

I included all the stuff I listed earlier, plus the Shamrock and some Nubs, a Partagas Mille Fleur, and a Tatuaje Verocu Havana VI Verocu. Uh, and a Cohiba Talisman LE 2017. That one came my way in the last box pass (along with some other amazing sticks), and I wanted to put it up again to share the love. I know it's intimidating, but if anyone wants to put up for it I'm in full support. I will also absolutely smoke it if it comes back to me at the end of this box pass.

In addition to starting the new box pass, I've smoked a few things from the last one that I want to comment on.

1) Perdomo 20th Anniversary Connecticut Torpedo. I smoked this solo as I was doing some things on my laptop out on the deck. Lots of white chocolate and hay/cereals. Really nice, to the point that I'm looking to grab a box sometime. Nice and long, a little under 2 hours, and enough interest to keep it fun the whole time. Excellent smoke.

The following three I smoked with my buddies and we all traded them back-and-forth cause we're vax'd now.

2) La Aurora 115 Belicoso. I only had a few puffs on this, but it was gooood. A rich, dark smoke, the main note I picked out was a soy sauce/teriyaki thing that was nice as hell. Definitely beefy, a pretty serious smoke. Loved it.

3) Davidoff Millenium robusto. It felt at least as expensive as it was. Well-built, and smoked great the whole time. Sparked up very mild, and after a minute or two just tasted like a pretzel. A really good, shiny, dark brown soft pretzel with a bit of salt. Super unique tasting note. That's basically all it did, and we all liked it. I don't think it's something I'd pay MSRP for, but I'm really glad to have been able to try it, and I'd love it again if it came my way.

4) Stradivarius. Definitely the weirdest smoke of the night. Smelled sort of weird, and the dry pull tasted like musty book paper. I was trepidatious to start. The cap was beautiful, although the overall build was a little tight, and I fought with it a bit (lots of PerfecDraw action on this one). Extremely bitter on spark up (not promising), but I let it settle in and it got very sweet. About 1/3 of the way into it there was an incredibly weird and fun flavor of tropical fruit. My buddy said it was like a juicy tropical IPA, and that's exactly right. Totally unusual, and definitely worth the price of admission. There was a weird musty tang around the edges the whole time which I couldn't quite figure out. One of the most unique cigars I've smoked, and I don't really know how to think about it. I didn't love the musty quality, and I would have preferred an easier draw, but I've never tasted those sort of tropical fruit flavors in a cigar before. Basically a perfect weird box pass cigar.

Besides those, I smoked an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Rothschild tonight. Excellent smoke. Draw was flawless, flavor was well-integrated and a bit hard to pick apart. A bit of perfume, some cedar and toffee, but overall just a lovely and classic-tasting smoke. Absolutely gonna grab some more of these soon.

NewFatMike posted:

Heck yeah that's really exciting! The last one was such a treat, even if it was mostly window shopping 😹

I had a Rose of Sharon lancero for breakfast today, really lovely, I wish I had saved more long enough for them to really start shining like the one this morning.

Ugh, I'm already out of my RoS lanceros save for the one I put in my aging tray. Might need to grab another box.

NewFatMike posted:

I pulled this monster out of a Surrogates Cracker Crumb last night. Note that the stem is longer than the actual cigar, it was all wrapped up in there. It was probably the best Cracker Crumb I've ever had after that, though!

We should post our big stems. The one I yanked from my Padron Panatela was similarly magnificent.

Nexein posted:

Hey thread! It's been a minute; hope everyone's doin well! Decided to go bold on this beaut of a Friday, it's the weekend wheeeee!

Hell yeah, Port Charlotte is probably my favorite Scotch. That's a hell of an evening.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Yeah I LOVE this port Charlotte and I just saw it for $10 less than the last time I bought it so it was an easy scoop.

Hell of a box spread! Looks like we get first dibs so I'm gonna have to order some more stuff from Atlantic to share; anyone have anything they wanna try?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Big ol doinks. These have been chilling in the bro humi for a bit. Had low expectations coming in but so far these are actually pretty good. This fuckin scotch is insane though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just got my Semois Reserve du Patron in today and this pipe tobacco is very wild. I can definitely see why it would appeal to burley tobacco-lovers.

It's nutty, mushroomy, and has a lot of hay/grass taste to it. It tastes a lot like a cigar than a lot of cigar pipe tobaccos. It's very intense - I might need to use a longer pipe than most of my noseburners to get the full experience.

Three Friars is ending up in the bowl soon! It's flake, not coins like Three Nuns, and it smells kinda similar. It's drying out a little now, and hopefully I'll have a trip report soon.

L'Atelier Travailleurs are out for delivery, too. It's a good day!

e: Well that Semois burned quick through my little pipe, and I have the Three Friars in there now. Seems pretty spot on, but that Semois kinda sticks around on the palate.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 28, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m having a fun time trying to find some (5) larger CCs for an event in two weeks. Anyone want to help a buddy out :3

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Just got my Semois Reserve du Patron in today and this pipe tobacco is very wild. I can definitely see why it would appeal to burley tobacco-lovers.

It's nutty, mushroomy, and has a lot of hay/grass taste to it. It tastes a lot like a cigar than a lot of cigar pipe tobaccos. It's very intense - I might need to use a longer pipe than most of my noseburners to get the full experience.

Three Friars is ending up in the bowl soon! It's flake, not coins like Three Nuns, and it smells kinda similar. It's drying out a little now, and hopefully I'll have a trip report soon.

L'Atelier Travailleurs are out for delivery, too. It's a good day!

e: Well that Semois burned quick through my little pipe, and I have the Three Friars in there now. Seems pretty spot on, but that Semois kinda sticks around on the palate.

Glad you like the semois - figured it'd be up the alley of a cigar-smoker. It is wild how dry it is and how quick it burns, makes for a nice quick smoke when needed. Cool story behind it too, still made using machinery from the 19th century.

Smoking a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake Aromatic tonight. drat do I dig the Lakeland flavouring, it's like a super pleasant floral or rosewater style aroma to it. Shame I can't find anything else for sale anywhere, my usual spots (4noggins, Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes) never have it in stock - seems like from chatter online Gawith Hoggarth basically only comes stateside once a year. I do have a tin of St Bruno Flake I need to pop open and give a try sometime soon though.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

I’m having a fun time trying to find some (5) larger CCs for an event in two weeks. Anyone want to help a buddy out :3

Larger ring gauge or churchills? I’m in a discord that is pretty active for trades/sales. Let me know what you’re looking for and I can make some inquiries. Most of my stuff is petit corona to robusto but I might have something.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Thank you.
I finally got it sorted (a guy had some RA gigantes) but it’s appreciated.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Glad you like the semois - figured it'd be up the alley of a cigar-smoker. It is wild how dry it is and how quick it burns, makes for a nice quick smoke when needed. Cool story behind it too, still made using machinery from the 19th century.

Smoking a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake Aromatic tonight. drat do I dig the Lakeland flavouring, it's like a super pleasant floral or rosewater style aroma to it. Shame I can't find anything else for sale anywhere, my usual spots (4noggins, Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes) never have it in stock - seems like from chatter online Gawith Hoggarth basically only comes stateside once a year. I do have a tin of St Bruno Flake I need to pop open and give a try sometime soon though.

Oh no, you're going to get me into hard to find tobaccos. That sounds amazing

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

If you like the rosewater aspect, try Grasmere flake if you can

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
My Epicure no 1 order showed up today from COH. Ordered 6/22 arrived 7/1. I inspected both boxes (samples from each three pack) they are all free of mold and have dark oily wrappers. July 2020 box code.

Going to be hard to stay away from them.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

:siren::siren::siren:
BOX PASS ALERT

The box showed up a couple days ago, but we had oppressively hot weather and we were waiting on another mail call to get together to blast a hurf.

Here's the box freshly cracked

Here's what Nexein and I took (We both wanna smoke that Cohiba but uhhh we don't have anything reasonably close to fair as a trade. Hope someone grabs it and liveposts the whole thing though.):

The left three are Nexein's and the right three are mine. We were both pumped to see things from brands we knew and liked that we had yet to try. We grabbed the tiny Padrons cause they're a good candidate for a quick bro smoke (we try to always smoke the same thing when we're together to compare notes).

Here's what we threw in:

601 Blue- My favorite sub $10 maduro. These are MEGA underrated. Don't rip these on an empty stomach though. STRONK.
MF Fonseca in Cosacos (Mike- I saw you wanted to try this vitola and the box is comin' your way next)
Don Pepin Blue- Delicious cocoa/coffee bomb with a little of that trademark MF spice
EP Carillo La Historia EIII- I love Mexican San Andres wrappers, and this cigar is a good illustration of why. Spicy hot chocolate. These rule.
Southern Draw Rose of Sharon- You all are probably tired of hearing about this. Super complex and delicious smoke.
Oliva Melanio Maduro box pressed Torpedo- If you like Maduros this is one of the better ones I've ever had.
Caldwell Midnight Express- Rich, delicous, and loaded with baker's spice

I also threw in another mystery cigar that Nexein and I have been passing back and forth as a goof.

I'll try and get this jammer back into the mail tomorrow. Big thanks again to Kenning for setting this up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Much appreciated!

Binny's by me was running an a INSANE sale on La Aurora Preferidos in the double Perfecto format, so guess what's getting in the box :v:

Jump on it if you can, Chicagoans!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

I also threw in another mystery cigar that Nexein and I have been passing back and forth as a goof.

I'd rather see this liveposted than the Talisman :newlol:

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

Binny's by me was running an a INSANE sale on La Aurora Preferidos in the double Perfecto format, so guess what's getting in the box :v:

I'm shocked that the broadleafs aren't the ones that they're out of, honestly

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm having one in the Robusto format, and it's really good but not my favorite of the bunch.

I'm really excited to try this Ruby over the weekend, though!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gramps posted:

:siren::siren::siren:
BOX PASS ALERT

The box showed up a couple days ago, but we had oppressively hot weather and we were waiting on another mail call to get together to blast a hurf.

Here's the box freshly cracked

Here's what Nexein and I took (We both wanna smoke that Cohiba but uhhh we don't have anything reasonably close to fair as a trade. Hope someone grabs it and liveposts the whole thing though.):

The left three are Nexein's and the right three are mine. We were both pumped to see things from brands we knew and liked that we had yet to try. We grabbed the tiny Padrons cause they're a good candidate for a quick bro smoke (we try to always smoke the same thing when we're together to compare notes).

Here's what we threw in:

601 Blue- My favorite sub $10 maduro. These are MEGA underrated. Don't rip these on an empty stomach though. STRONK.
MF Fonseca in Cosacos (Mike- I saw you wanted to try this vitola and the box is comin' your way next)
Don Pepin Blue- Delicious cocoa/coffee bomb with a little of that trademark MF spice
EP Carillo La Historia EIII- I love Mexican San Andres wrappers, and this cigar is a good illustration of why. Spicy hot chocolate. These rule.
Southern Draw Rose of Sharon- You all are probably tired of hearing about this. Super complex and delicious smoke.
Oliva Melanio Maduro box pressed Torpedo- If you like Maduros this is one of the better ones I've ever had.
Caldwell Midnight Express- Rich, delicous, and loaded with baker's spice

I'll try and get this jammer back into the mail tomorrow. Big thanks again to Kenning for setting this up.

Nice swaps! Love watching the progress of the box.

NewFatMike posted:

Much appreciated!

Jump on it if you can, Chicagoans!

Oh gently caress yeah I've been wanting to smoke some of the double-perfectos. That's an incredible deal. I need to find a good local tobacconist.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Smoking my first Nub Nuance rn. My goodness it's like smoking a bar of dark chocolate.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
After a day of uncapped rest in my cooler and a few hours in the dry box I fired up the ugliest epi1 I could find.

It’s got a great draw, decent burn and a hell of a lot of flavor for a mild/medium stick. I can tell it’s a little young (feb 2020 box date) but I’m very happy with it so far.

If you are looking for a great corona extra in the medium strength band grab a 2x15 of these from COH. They were under 10/stick when I bought them on special and I got them in about 10 days from initial shipment (I’ll split a 2 box with someone). sale is over :(

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2021

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Mornin lads! It's a comfy 60 degrees in Connecticut today after being 100 some odd degrees and humid all week so I decided to pop the La Antiguedad from the box. I've never had a bad MF and I don't expect to start today!

Wrapper smells a lot like sweet grass, and a huff of the foot gives me some distinct milk chocolate; a great start. First couple pulls after light are giving me some baking spices like most mfs do, but a little more cinnamon maybe? Little chocolate too. An early retro was pretty strong on like, white pepper.

I'll keep yall updated as it goes on!

First third: Mellows out almost instantly, reminds me of the opulencia being a coffee fudge bomb initially and then chilling out. Much more of a light caramel sweetened grass with some chilled out mf spices. The retro is much less aggressive and just kind of highlights more hay notes...a big retro still pepper smacks my face but I should really quit doing those 😅

Getting into the second third is markedly different! Picking up more cedar and leather and earth, and the pepper spice is still prevalent but mellow. The finish on this is real long and the pepper especially just kind of sticks to my entire mouth. Mouthfeel is a little oily but the finish is kind of waxy? It's a little strange but I don't hate it.

Past the band towards the end now, the profile hasn't changed much but it's much more prominently leather. Getting to the end here should peg final smoking time at about an hour 20, which seems a little fast so I may have pushed it a bit but it didn't go super squirrely outside of a couple touch ups. It is raining a little now which probably isn't helping.

Overall, it's not about to dethrone the bijou and while it's definitely very good it's probably my least favorite of mf, but that still puts it over...most of the cigars I smoke. Draw and production were great and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks Kenning! And/or whoever popped this in the box!

Nexein fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 3, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The LAT54 Selection Speciale is really amazing. I thought a stronger blend would put it into the red zone, but it didn't. It's amazing.

I really can't believe I've been sleeping on this marca. It's real different from what I've gone for in the past, but if you haven't been able to tell from my last several posts, I'm in love haha.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

New muttonchop video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSYyAEsKpJU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked an Ezra Zion Vanilla Truffle and a BLTC Grimalkin. Both were great. I might sign up for the EZ coffee and cigar club. Their marketing is a bit much but the cigars are good. Over the weekend I smoked a QdO 50 and a Cracker Crumbs, both I've had before but they did not disappoint.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Visited my brother outside Reno for the weekend. He's sort of the Nerd Dad at the local game shop, and had a party for his various nerdlings and it was a very fun time over all. I got to offer folks cigars and share some La Aurora Preferidos (Ruby and Emerald) coronas and a Nub Connecticut 460 with folks, which made me feel very cool. My sister and I both had Padron Corticos, and they both smoked amazing. Later on I had a La Aurora Diamond corona (the Connecticut Broadleaf), and it was a nice smoke for sure, but still doesn't stand out that much for me. My sister enjoyed my last Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 corona second, and liked the figgy/chocolatey thing it has. Later in the night I smoked a La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire robusto, but at that point it was mainly just that I wanted a smoke while we played a lawn game. Big smokin' day, very fun over all. Definitely a bit hungover today, but it was worth it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Was also outside of Reno at a friend's place for the 4th. Good hanging out, good drinks, and I smoked several bowls of Rattray's Red Rapparee. I was smoking this for me, because it's one of my favorites, but with as many comments as I got from the other guests about how much they liked the smell you'd think I was smoking it for them. Old folks also seem to like it, since they always talk about the days when men smoked pipes (and wore hats and dressed well) and how nostalgic that was for them, quickly followed by how happy they are that nobody smokes cigarettes like they used to.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I failed to post a trip report, but that La Aurora Ruby Preferido double Perfecto was super fabulous. Just a fantastic mix of sweet and spicy all the way through. I can't wait to try them in the corona one of these days.

I gave some Semois tobacco to some of the folks at Up Down and Phil, one of the owners, was enthralled by the smell of the jar, and I'm on pins and needles waiting for him to let me know what he thinks. If they end up carrying some, I'll be so psyched to know a local place has it because if Iwan Ries carry it, it's not on their website.

Big recovery day for me, so I think I'm sticking to the pipe for the most part. Real nice to see everyone's smokes, I'm ticking off a few to pick up myself >_>

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I was going through my posts in here to see if I mentioned any sticks I no longer have but said I was looking for.

The punch coronations tubos popped up and it looks like my US based guy has a box of them for cheap. Guess I’m buying my… fifth box in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Just smoked a Joya de Nicaragua Numero Uno L’ambassador. Absolutely fantastic stick, and I generally don’t even really go for Connecticut wrappers - a lot of caramel and vanilla with the perfect spice level, and some random baking spices like nutmeg and cinnamon as well. Up there with Rose of Sharon in that wrapper in my book. It’s taking all my willpower to not find a five pack right now.

I also was irresponsible and picked up a Padron 80th the other day - haven’t smoked it yet, but hoping to celebrate closing on my house with it later this month.