Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

have you seen my baby posted:

The bots in Chiv2 are so weird. They're never that difficult to kill, but they do such random stuff that even as you get better at the game those soulless monsters never actually seem to get any easier

I swear to god that sometimes those fuckers seem to be input reading (not really, but it can feel that way :v:). I've had happen so often that I'm staring down a bot, and at the exact moment I launch an attack they also launch theirs a split-second earlier and hit me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

If PvP was a cheeseburger then the bots are the french fries. Not great on their own but nice to have between bites of the main course. Please visit my blog for more goony analogies.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

So is the netcode broken in this game? I usually have single-digit pings but without fail every game there's a kill by some guy way too far away, hitting me on their backswing. Arrows and thrown objects going right through people standing still. I also get a ton of what feels like when two round collision objects rub against each other and instead of eating a swing or even blocking it, they just kinda warp around and behind me. It's not dodging.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Netcode seems fine to me and I'm usually pretty picky about it. What platform are you playing on? Are you using the matchmaker to find a server or the server list?

there was some talk about bugs where in game your ping would be show good on the scoreboard, but in reality it was total poo poo. what you are experiencing sounds a lot like packet loss instead of just bad ping though hmm

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ten_twentyfour posted:

So is the netcode broken in this game? I usually have single-digit pings but without fail every game there's a kill by some guy way too far away, hitting me on their backswing. Arrows and thrown objects going right through people standing still. I also get a ton of what feels like when two round collision objects rub against each other and instead of eating a swing or even blocking it, they just kinda warp around and behind me. It's not dodging.
Sometimes I see enemies flash step teleporting their way towards a fight and they don't stabilize until they have already hit someone.

Today was a new(?) one though. Lots of times there would be an enemy player charging at is, and then attacks would pass through them harmlessly as they keep going and everyone hitting them would just awkwardly stop and look for another fight. This would be in the middle of a match too so it isn't the start of match "Big wave of players auto sprinting on spawn while staring at a menu still" deal, you can kill those guys :v:

As for odd collisions, while I'm hazy about attacks a lot of hitboxes on the terrain seem incredibly hosed if you want to use longer duration sprint attacks like a poleman rush or the tackle. Lots of times you stumble on an invisible rock or bounce off an invisible force field 15 feet away from the enemy. Or a new one today where I tackled someone and then it teleported me 90 degrees and five feet to the side into a nearby wall of spikes. I have also had this happen with a standing kick where I kicked a guy with his back to the wall and it warped me through his body to die on the spikes.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 1, 2021

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

ten_twentyfour posted:

I see this happening sometimes on PC. The beginning of any match is always trash with people loading in at different times. It usually sorts itself out quickly, but certain maps have sections that are prone to it. Specifically Battle of the Dark Forest and the section where you have to break the gate to get into the castle. poo poo gets weird for a bit whenever that section starts.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Also I guess I should have specified the game is Chivalry 2. When it comes to archers I just treat every one of my shots as if I was blind firing because whether or not it hits someone is completely random. There are times where it certainly should have hit a teammate even and it doesn't. Also had one where a guy does an overhead on me that lands like 3 feet short, there's a split second where I can't move, then I drop dead from the overhead. With like "9" ping.

Game's fun if you don't take it seriously and just go in for the slaughter.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
It'd be fun to play Chiv 2 a MOBA style map with bots as the creeps

Bot-heavy servers can be fun because it sort of turns into mini Dynasty Warriors. Mowing down a ton of fodder before running into a tough enemy. You end up managing the enemy dipshit bots while working against another player.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 1, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

beer gas canister posted:

It'd be fun to play Chiv 2 a MOBA style map with bots as the creeps

Bot-heavy servers can be fun because it sort of turns into mini Dynasty Warriors. Mowing down a ton of fodder before running into a tough enemy. You end up managing the enemy dipshit bots while working against another player.

Yeah, almost made to 50 kills today for the achievement/trophy in bot heavy server. Made it to 48 on dark forest. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. Need to get better at my counters so I don't run out of stamina immediately.

Edit: the server by the end had filled up with mostly normal people who kept spamming the 1 handed spear and owned the poo poo out of me.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 1, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there a website that gives accurate stats for each weapon like damage, stamina use to swing, actual range, etc? Googling turns up a bunch of terrible ranking websites that offer vague generalizations that are also often very wrong, and the vague descriptions in-game also don't do much.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bots are easy if you move away from them. Their AI wants to be close, when they get close they love to spam short fast weapons that make them dangerous.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Bots have some sort of bullshit "find me even though I'm hiding in a tree and bushes on dark forest as a Mason in the darkest armor possible"mechanic happening. I had been trying to hide until the next spawn wave passed and go ham on the barricades, but the rat fink ai totally foiled my plan, forcing me out of cover right as like 8 Agathaians came and wrecked my poo poo. I at least managed to destroy the topper portion of the barricade before succumbing to the mob.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Bots are easy if you move away from them. Their AI wants to be close, when they get close they love to spam short fast weapons that make them dangerous.

im pretty sure that they just dont block you if you dont look directly at them

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Throwing axes are really level 15 archer? gently caress.

e: Also, what actually is the win condition for Mason on Coxwell? Because I just won a game as Agatha when the bar was completely full and had been for over a minute, with me as the only non-bot Agathan, and I was definitely spawning as a peasant and dying multiple times. Every other time Mason has gotten to that stage its been a complete rout, and since it was 1v4 in terms of real people that whole round, I'd figured it was a complete loss.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 1, 2021

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Ravenfood posted:

e: Also, what actually is the win condition for Mason on Coxwell? Because I just won a game as Agatha when the bar was completely full and had been for over a minute, with me as the only non-bot Agathan, and I was definitely spawning as a peasant and dying multiple times. Every other time Mason has gotten to that stage its been a complete rout, and since it was 1v4 in terms of real people that whole round, I'd figured it was a complete loss.
There's an exploit where you can go hide back at the marketplace as an Agathian soldier, which one of your teammates probably did. Masons will get the desertion warning if they try to go back there, so anyone hiding there is completely untouchable.

edit: Wait are you sure you were the only non-bot on your team? Because then I got nothing :shrug:

Ravenfood posted:

Is there a website that gives accurate stats for each weapon like damage, stamina use to swing, actual range, etc? Googling turns up a bunch of terrible ranking websites that offer vague generalizations that are also often very wrong, and the vague descriptions in-game also don't do much.
There's this for damage values: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/16DaF6fCkd9uxtIuZjVdOIV3Trz2YNatWUyYTBJRAy7o/htmlview
But it doesn't have stuff like stamina usage or the real range of weapons, unfortunately.

And looking at it, dane axes being good for throwing is no accident it seems.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 1, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Someone may have joined in after the second gold gathering section I suppose? I stopped checking the scoreboard after awhile and never saw another soldier but if they were hiding I don't suppose I would have. And thanks for the link!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 1, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

well it seems I played 22 hours (not much I know but work, family and other stuff has precedence), but being bad at the game it seems it takes FOREVER to level up classes / weapons. I don't care too much about cosmetics, but I would REALLY like to unlock as many different weapons and subclasses as possible. I think I'm at Knight 8 -Footman 9 - Vanguard 4 - Archer 2 or something like that.

What's the fastest way to make more XP without having to git gud which will take a LONG time yet?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

TorakFade posted:

well it seems I played 22 hours (not much I know but work, family and other stuff has precedence), but being bad at the game it seems it takes FOREVER to level up classes / weapons. I don't care too much about cosmetics, but I would REALLY like to unlock as many different weapons and subclasses as possible. I think I'm at Knight 8 -Footman 9 - Vanguard 4 - Archer 2 or something like that.

What's the fastest way to make more XP without having to git gud which will take a LONG time yet?
Just do as many objectives as possible I think? Even side objectives like repairing a ladder with a ladder part gives you 200 points, for example. And a well placed banner or blaring your officer horn towards a crowd of wounded teammates can give you like 500+.

You could also join a mostly emtpy server and kill bots all day I guess, which would also give you weapon levels. It'd be dull as dishwater though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unless they change it with the patch bots cannot read drags at all, so stepping next to a bot and doing a horizontal accel into their head works 100% of the time as well as seemingly shutting off their ability to attack you since you're not aiming at them as you do it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
This also works pretty well against humans

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

TorakFade posted:

pick weapons up from the ground and get kills with them. It counts progress towards that weapon even if you don't have it unlocked.
I like playing the Officer class and healing myself while killing people with their own weapons and getting exp across classes, personally

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, the glaive is a lot of fun to go completely apeshit with, but I feel like I can't actually get anything done with it. Death by a thousand cuts, except I can only get 500 cuts in before I get doinked.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nordick posted:

Man, the glaive is a lot of fun to go completely apeshit with, but I feel like I can't actually get anything done with it. Death by a thousand cuts, except I can only get 500 cuts in before I get doinked.

Perfectly said.

Better just play shovel and cause death by a thousand bonks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nordick posted:

Yeah, it's got really nice handling and reach, but the low damage is just horrendous. It can work decently if you really focus on thrusts, but really at that point you may as well just use the spear or halberd. It's a shame, cause I really do like the aesthetics of it.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Nordick posted:

War club is exactly the same way, although I think I prefer it to the glaive because it donks of people so fast that I can usually overwhelm them and get a smattering of 1v1 kills before someone doinks me.

Both those weapons are tests to see how good my team is. If my team is good, doing their fair share of damage and getting kills, I'm wracking up the kills and takedowns because I'm hitting people who are already damaged and killing them, or damaging them and letting my team do the cleanup. If I'm carrying, using those weapons means I'm doing thousands of points of damage with nothing to show for it, and I'd be better served switching to literally any other weapon.

War club and glaive are so much fun to use, but man, they require a lot more effort.

If you happen to see little bunny fu-fu running through the forest picking up the enemy field mice and tapping them on the head with his war club, pick up a 2 handed spear and follow him around cleaning up his kills. Your ratio will be the envy of sweats everywhere.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 1, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've just unlocked the maul, and I cannot get over how hilarious it is. I wouldn't necessarily call it particularly good, since the glacial speed and limited range make it pretty difficult to land hits against aware enemies, but it is ludicrously satisfying when you do hit them. I'm also 70% sure that its heavy attacks don't stop on hit even when the target survives, and it seems to cause stagger as well. If you get into the fray just right you turn into an outright wrecking ball that immediately clears out a lot of space.

It is a little susceptible to teamkills, though. :allears:
https://i.imgur.com/Phd7pcH.mp4
(unmute for bonks)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Perestroika posted:

I've just unlocked the maul, and I cannot get over how hilarious it is. I wouldn't necessarily call it particularly good, since the glacial speed and limited range make it pretty difficult to land hits against aware enemies, but it is ludicrously satisfying when you do hit them. I'm also 70% sure that its heavy attacks don't stop on hit even when the target survives, and it seems to cause stagger as well. If you get into the fray just right you turn into an outright wrecking ball that immediately clears out a lot of space.

It is a little susceptible to teamkills, though. :allears:
https://i.imgur.com/Phd7pcH.mp4
(unmute for bonks)

Looks like you killed a friendly bot. So no loss. RIP Bernardo

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

edit: the video above is amazing with sound on

I didn't even realize imgur supported mp4s, well hey here's my clip with a point blank dane axe toss and a pretty timely dodge:
https://i.imgur.com/EeYx8ml.mp4

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 1, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Can't seem to find much online about this, but I've been playing on ps4, just got a ps5 and am wondering if there's cross-platform progression. Like I don't mind having to unlock every single thing again, but I'd sure as hell rather not.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Glaive stab does a lot of damage

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

have you seen my baby posted:

Glaive stab does a lot of damage

Fair, but if I want a long quick stabby weapon I'll just use a spear.

Unrelated, has anyone ever seen Agatha actually win Escape from Falmire? Every single time I've played that map, Agatha has gotten to the last phase at most.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 2, 2021

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I've won Agatha on Escape from Falmire. The Duke has to realize what's going on, book it, and grab a shield immediately or they're hosed.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
As Agatha on Falmire I like to hang around the enemy spawns on the 2nd level, where they enter the throne room, and harass attackers as they run by, since they tend to have tunnel vision and will have to eat a couple of hits. Even better if they peel off to engage me since they're staying away from the Duke. The narrow walkways that overlook the room are a good spot for 1vX fights.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

beer gas canister posted:

As Agatha on Falmire I like to hang around the enemy spawns on the 2nd level, where they enter the throne room, and harass attackers as they run by, since they tend to have tunnel vision and will have to eat a couple of hits. Even better if they peel off to engage me since they're staying away from the Duke. The narrow walkways that overlook the room are a good spot for 1vX fights.

Wrong map. Falmire is the one where Agatha is trying to spring their VIP out of prison. There is no throne room, just the courtyard where the cage is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mdct posted:

I've won Agatha on Escape from Falmire. The Duke has to realize what's going on, book it, and grab a shield immediately or they're hosed.

Yeah it's rough but doable. Any setback or slowdown means you're likely going to fail.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Nordick posted:

Wrong map. Falmire is the one where Agatha is trying to spring their VIP out of prison. There is no throne room, just the courtyard where the cage is.

Have managed a win once on the Agatha team on this map, usually the vip just tries to rush ahead or falls off the cliff into the water.

Edit: it is a great map to play engineer on defense though and set up the little road block thingies

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've won as the VIP escaping the prison. I really feel like I wasn't under real threat because I could just juke through my team and pop out another side. It was basically like playing football.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah it's rough but doable. Any setback or slowdown means you're likely going to fail.

I mean I'm not complaining, I always play Mason if at all possible. :v: I haven't actually played Falmire on the Agathian side once.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My biggest frustration with this game is teammates who in group fights just hold forward and swing. Not really cause I'm so upset about taking FF, but they always run right in front of me, block my attack, and feed the enemy an easy riposte while body blocking for them.

Gotta hold your position and stay together instead of running after every person that backpedals, switch targets if you have to.

Yes I know I'm expecting too much of pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It’s OK we didn’t want a patch anyway.