Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I thought that hackers didn't have sex, and instead reproduced via eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
hacker omelet, scrambled hacker, hacker on toast etc

e: also there is a show hn thread on the front page which has some pretty amusing comments . An app that will remind you (and potentially automatically message) freinds/family on some schedule. The comments are sort of alternating between "this is useful because of my social anxiety" and "if you need a reminder app to contact me don't bother" lol.

Xik fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 27, 2021

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MononcQc posted:

lognoise 37 minutes ago [–]

I'd work for the devil himself for 500k/year, and just convince myself he was misunderstood.

"Blood on your hands" - oh boo-boo.

Blood washes out.

Macbeth has a hot wife and was king of scotland and everything turned out fine for him.

edit: oh no i got thread teleported

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
From page 43 untimely ripped

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

iroh2727 3 hours ago [–]

Myers-Briggs is the single most useful mental model for personality types in existence...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

aaron695 6 hours ago [–]

What happened here is Cancel Culture. It's on the other side. But it's the same.
The left have driven people to suicide, the left attack people for past posts, the left attack employees and friends.
And the left should know better, it's hard to know how to move forward while the left, which for so long had the higher ground, also do this. And by left I mean the people who don't condemn lynch mobs when they think it's doing something they agree with. If you think racists deserve it, you're the same as KiwiFarms.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fritz posted:

fallingknife 40 minutes ago [–]

> but doctors can't always predict this and aren't perfect decision making machines
So mass screen healthy people, collect the data, run models, and get better at it. People like you would rather not try, and this is the same reaction I get from doctors. Applying the same tech that we use to improve ad targeting to disease prediction is a no brainer to anyone whose cushy job doesn't depend on the current medieval state of medical technology.

"That's funny, the computer keeps recommending boner pills for everything...oh well who am I to second guess an all knowing machine?"

anyway didn't google try this already and it turned out that biology is hard and they just gave up

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sneak 14 minutes ago [–]

What's wrong with firing employees without cause?
A business relationship like employment is by mutual consent. Either party can opt out at any time.
I'm not sure this is something that needs fixing. You seem to feel differently. What am I missing?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

judge2020 5 hours ago [–]

YouTube’s free-ness and discovery is only possible at this scale, with ads (and the subset of users who convert to paying customers via those ads or purchase YT premium) subsidizing the rest of us with our OSS ad blockers turned on.

1vuio0pswjnm7 1 hour ago [–]

That's great, but personally I do not use an ad blocker because I do not need to use a browser to search, download or watch video. Nor do I need python or youtube-dl. I download videos with something like

code:
curl -4o 1.mp4 $(curl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1234567890a|sed  "s/\\u0026/\&/g"|grep  -o "https://r[0-9]\{1,2\}--[^\"]*"|sed -n /itag=22/p)
except I do not use curl.

I play videos with ffmpeg-based players. I do not need to be online to play video.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

dr stallman, i presume

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
so how do you get the video id, smart guy?!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

1vuio0pswjnm7 1 hour ago [–]

That's great, but personally I do not use an ad blocker because I do not need to use a browser to search, download or watch video. Nor do I need python or youtube-dl. I download videos with something like

code:
curl -4o 1.mp4 $(curl [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1234567890a[/url]|sed  "s/\\u0026/\&/g"|grep  -o "https://r[0-9]\{1,2\}--[^\"]*"|sed -n /itag=22/p)
except I do not use curl.

I play videos with ffmpeg-based players. I do not need to be online to play video.

this is the gentoo grey-beard version of "i don't own a TV"

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't use a web browser or youtube-dl, I just spend 5 hours updating my youtube scraping regex every week when youtube changes its html slightly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

dude probably still adds "hd=1" to the URL query params on YT

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

sounds like a kind of person who spends their free time janitoring 40 different self hosted open source things that are alternatives to existing free services all the while thinking they are king poo poo of peak performance mountain

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Pile Of Garbage posted:

dude probably still adds "hd=1" to the URL query params on YT

&fmt=18

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Penisface posted:

sounds like a kind of person who spends their free time janitoring 40 different self hosted open source things that are alternatives to existing free services all the while thinking they are king poo poo of peak performance mountain

as a dude who self-hosts nextcloud to store the dick pics he takes with his degoogled phone, i assure you that "peak performance" is the last way i would ever describe it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hah yeah that's the OG poo poo

mystes
May 31, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

as a dude who self-hosts nextcloud to store the dick pics he takes with his degoogled phone, i assure you that "peak performance" is the last way i would ever describe it
Same op but they have pills for that now

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I use Syncthing instead because PHP is haraam

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

&c1&d2s4

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

motohagiography 48 minutes ago [–]

The impact of media organizations discrediting and completely debasing themselves over Assange, but also Snowden and a host of other U.S. false issues related to the law enforcement and intelligence community and its contagion into social platforms is what has really cleaved the culture. These are bad people exploiting bad people to ensure that worse people can keep doing terrible things. It's capital-E evil.
Personally I think we could probably trace it back to soviet infiltration of the university education system around the world in the 60's and 70's, which within a lifetime has produced multiple generations of nihilistic bureaucrats trained to seek power for its own sake, and now they occupy our institutions at all levels and have used them to destroy the foundations of the culture and seize its means of production, while subordinating them to a global regime. All without firing a shot. The reason these people believe what they're doing is ok is because someone taught them that the ends justify the means.
The Assange affair is just a symptom of a much more terrible disease, and this witness and the media compliance around him are about par for the course in all of this.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
re yelp but for cops

quote:

dheera 21 minutes ago [–]

Maybe make this a blockchain project instead. Videos of cops doing bad things should be decentralized, non-deletable, and optionally anonymous.

peak hn, always add a blockchain. what if cops, but blockchain

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i for one definitely want to host a node storing un-deletable video content submitted by anonymous people online

there's no way this could go wrong

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

but cops can already be used by criminal enterprises? :thunk:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bradknowles 4 minutes ago [–]

Counter evidence: https://youtu.be/cuZYROM4Vrs
In fact, much of the JerryRigEverything YouTube channel is counter evidence for this claim, as Zack shows taking two electric bikes and welding them together for a seriously good and relatively inexpensive first pass at an “off road wheelchair”, and then ups the ante with his custom-designed “notawheelchair” a.k.a. “Rig”, and plenty of other videos with his lovely now-wife Cambry.
Now, if someone is dependent on staying in their electric wheelchair and they need a van with a lift or a ramp, then the current fleet of EVs aren’t very suitable for that. But I’m sure that situation will change. But claiming that there is absolutely no future in electric vehicles for disabled people is quite … disingenuous … at best.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Toyota Cambry

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fritz posted:

bradknowles 4 minutes ago [–]

Counter evidence: https://youtu.be/cuZYROM4Vrs
In fact, much of the JerryRigEverything YouTube channel is counter evidence for this claim, as Zack shows taking two electric bikes and welding them together for a seriously good and relatively inexpensive first pass at an “off road wheelchair”, and then ups the ante with his custom-designed “notawheelchair” a.k.a. “Rig”, and plenty of other videos with his lovely now-wife Cambry.
Now, if someone is dependent on staying in their electric wheelchair and they need a van with a lift or a ramp, then the current fleet of EVs aren’t very suitable for that. But I’m sure that situation will change. But claiming that there is absolutely no future in electric vehicles for disabled people is quite … disingenuous … at best.

we don't need the ADA. i've seen it in happy wheels.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 5, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

brudgers 1 hour ago [–]

That marriage is the basis of counterpoint is consistent with theology. Not with science.
Marriage customs are a common means of enforcing discriminatory societal practices (miscegenation, same sex, other religion, etc.). The logical structure of the objection is consistent with all of those…they are plug and play for chimpanzees.

context:

brudgers 1 hour ago [–]

Statistically, humans are chimpanzees as p < 5%.
Of course, accepting such a thing requires valuing science over theology.

sharikone 1 hour ago [–]

That said I have a very strong preference for marrying a human vs a non-human chimpanzee...

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I just wanna gently caress the animals at the zoo, but THE POPE won't let me. It's bullshit.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quote:

Statistically, humans are chimpanzees as p < 5%.
what the gently caress does this even mean. it’s nonsense. someone has learned science words and is draping them over their idiocy

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean. it’s nonsense. someone has learned science words and is draping them over their idiocy

he probably heard that more than 95% of the human and chimpanzee genomes are identical (wikipedia claims that about 2.7% of the genomes are different) and decided that this means that humans and chimpanzees are statistically identical. the difference is less than 5%, so we can't possibly distinguish the two! :pseudo:

mystes
May 31, 2006

To be fair that probably isn't worse than some things published papers do with p values.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

what is that man doing to his dataset

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

goat z score

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Humans share 40% of their DNA with yeast and I've definitely seen weaker correlations than that in published papers.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

what is that man doing to his dataset

quote:

goat z score

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

WanderPanda 4 hours ago [–]

Oh man it’s starting, we will have to learn Chinese to get access to the whole picture of all the information out there. Some weeks ago I already heard that there are really good VUE.js sources in the Chinese web. This is quite terrifying, it seems like it is only a matter of time until state of the art scientific papers will only be available in Chinese :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fritz posted:

WanderPanda 4 hours ago [–]

Oh man it’s starting, we will have to learn Chinese to get access to the whole picture of all the information out there. Some weeks ago I already heard that there are really good VUE.js sources in the Chinese web. This is quite terrifying, it seems like it is only a matter of time until state of the art scientific papers will only be available in Chinese :(

good. it's only a matter of time until other areas like aviation switch over as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the "definitive" version of aircraft manuals and international regulations are in english at present so theres going to be an absolute massive amount of intertia there. chinese civilian aircraft at least are sourcing western engines and other components so english is going to stick around even if the airframe manufacturer is chinese