Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm playing Your Time To Die and I'm a bit confused about something (pretty early, at the end of the first major "trial"): Why is everyone implying that the Sage will be voted on if their role is revealed? Isn't the Sage basically just "a normal player who happens to know who the Keymaster is"? Why would other players want to vote for them?

edit: Is it just because the Sage is guaranteed to not be one of the "everyone else dies if voted on" roles?

edit2: Apparently I was correct with the above. For anyone else playing this game - I was able to do the dance minigame by opening a notepad and just pressing WASD (and E for body) as they did it on screen. Had a hard time before that, though I also have an abnormally bad memory.

Also, question - is there any downside to making your Joe hallucination meter go up? I've only encountered one choice that I imagine would have raised it - when you notice one of the items of clothing on one of the new doll people characters (though I didn't choose it). Do you just get spooky scenes or something?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Ytlaya posted:

I'm playing Your Time To Die and I'm a bit confused about something (pretty early, at the end of the first major "trial"): Why is everyone implying that the Sage will be voted on if their role is revealed? Isn't the Sage basically just "a normal player who happens to know who the Keymaster is"? Why would other players want to vote for them?

edit: Is it just because the Sage is guaranteed to not be one of the "everyone else dies if voted on" roles?

yup

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Also, question - is there any downside to making your Joe hallucination meter go up? I've only encountered one choice that I imagine would have raised it - when you notice one of the items of clothing on one of the new doll people characters (though I didn't choose it). Do you just get spooky scenes or something?

You get a game over if you raise the metre at every opportunity you get. There are two ways to avoid said game over though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I’m playing Utawarerumono: MoD and really enjoying it, but debating whether to watch the anime of the first game. One thing I’m really enjoying is the sense of mystery about the world which I think would be diminished if I watched the anime. Yet I also realize I will be missing out on character call backs. Though I don’t know how impactful they are.

So how much am I missing out on by not watching the anime? Are the character call backs really impactful?

I’m at the part where Ukon has revealed who he is and you form your bracer guild in the imperial city haha. (Sorry been playing the Trails series a lot.). Have I missed out on any references to the first game? It doesn’t seem like it, but also seems like it might start happening soon so figure this is a good place to maybe start watching the anime if I decide to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think I would intentionally go out of my way to play or watch the original just to get the references in the Mask games as I remember there being more than enough context. That said both of the Mask games are super duper direct sequels and it puts a lot of weight on some returning characters and story threads and it's hard to say how much will be lost on some of their resolutions. I also honestly don't know how some of the stuff with the setting/lore will land in the Mask games if you haven't played the original since there it is a shocking (and stupid) revelation that the Mask games will probably assume you will have some familiarity with and thus will maybe come off as a little understated for what is implied in the Mask games.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think I would intentionally go out of my way to play or watch the original just to get the references in the Mask games as I remember there being more than enough context. That said both of the Mask games are super duper direct sequels and it puts a lot of weight on some returning characters and story threads and it's hard to say how much will be lost on some of their resolutions. I also honestly don't know how some of the stuff with the setting/lore will land in the Mask games if you haven't played the original since there it is a shocking (and stupid) revelation that the Mask games will probably assume you will have some familiarity with and thus will maybe come off as a little understated for what is implied in the Mask games.

Someone on another forum said the third game is more of a sequel to both one and two while two is a bit more self contained so I’ll watch the anime after I finish MoD.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Just wanted to drop in to say I'm so psyched for the AI sequel. I loved the first one but am hoping that this will mean the main character won't have the mentality of a horny 13-year old boy.

Also, if I loved Gnosia, would Raging Loop hit a similar vibe?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zeeman posted:

Just wanted to drop in to say I'm so psyched for the AI sequel. I loved the first one but am hoping that this will mean the main character won't have the mentality of a horny 13-year old boy.

Also, if I loved Gnosia, would Raging Loop hit a similar vibe?

Not really. The games in Raging Loop are entirely fixed (but branch depending on your choices), so it doesn't have the "game" element of Gnosia.

It's still a great visual novel, though, but don't go into it with the premise that you will deduce the poo poo out of the games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yu No
Wait is this game implying that Takuya was actually in a relationship with Mitsuki

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Imply" lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What a chad

I wanna know what devilry the translation patch is running off of, I just lost my save somehow after minimizing the game window. Then spent two hours trying to get the game to launch again without being in full screen. I went to go get some Ramen and now it suddenly works again in windowed mode, Although my old save is gone.

Is GYPS in Devil Survivor a reference to this game?

I'll give the kid credit he realized this was some time travel BS before I thought he would

I gotta say having to replay the intro sucked, but it does show there's some real poo poo going on in the BG. The first time I was looking for Ayumi at the school I ran into Ryousuke this time to the kid whose crush I'm gonna date

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 2, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ymgve posted:

It's still a great visual novel, though, but don't go into it with the premise that you will deduce the poo poo out of the games.

You kinda can, but in a more broad way like guessing who the culprit is in a mystery story or something. If you like Werewolf strategy and seeing people "irl" do it, it's super fun for that too.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ymgve posted:

Not really. The games in Raging Loop are entirely fixed (but branch depending on your choices), so it doesn't have the "game" element of Gnosia.

I wouldn't even call it "branch depending on your choices".
The choices that lead to the other branches are locked until you reach certain points, so while the path looks like a tree, it's actually completely linear with a handful of instances of "you can do A, B or C in any order, but you need to do all 3 of them to unlock the choice that continues the story.

(japanese to minimize spoilers)
The path down the left continues the story. To see it, you need to unlock 05,06 and 07, and 07 itself is locked behind 05 and 06

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 2, 2021

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Recommendations for Switch VNs? I've played all the big ones elsewhere (Raging Loop, Fata Morgana, Doki Doki, AI) but could really go for something solid and portable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Famicom Detective Club

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

ymgve posted:

Famicom Detective Club

Oooh good call! I played the translation of the second one years ago on an emulator and really liked it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

100%ed Doki Doki Literature Club Plus last night!

---

Spoiler-free review:

Yep, it's DDLC DLC. This felt more like a $15 Definitive Edition than anything, but given that the original game was free, I can't complain. I'm always down for another kick in the feelings :unsmigghh:

I like the side stories a lot, though you can tell that the game's focus has shifted away from the psychological horror aspects of the original. I don't know how I feel about that - the horror aspects were a great way to catch people's attention and added some depth to the game. Strangely enough, it's the interplay between that and the other side of the game's coin that hooked me, so it's a bit of a loss.

But over time, DDLC evolved into a far more human, vulnerable, and ultimately uplifting world. DDLC Plus is the culmination of that. So with this expansion, it's a very legitimate visual novel. :3:

There's one thing I'd advise against for now, and that's trying to 100% the game. It requires you to get all the special poems, and that involves grinding up Act 1 and 2 all the way through :negative: At a roughly 15~20 minute runtime, and given that those poems are selected randomly, that poo poo took up most of my night and it suuucked. Hopefully they fix that, but they prolly won't.

---

Spoiler-ish review (more hinting at things than anything, but if you wanna go in totally blind, don't read further):

Then there's the other part of DDLC that hooked people: the meta. I won't say too much, but there's some engaging aspects of Plus that scratch the same itch people had when they dug into the original game's files. To a certain degree, anyway.

This part, I'm somewhat less impressed by - the additional non-side story material is interesting enough, but I don't know if I'd call it satisfying per se. It feels very detached from the core game, and raises more questions than answers in the way that leaves you confused rather than intrigued.

And if you're wondering how the game works on consoles, don't worry - it does!

---

CHAT ABOUT WHAT IS VERY DEFINITELY SPOILERS!!! Avoid if you wanna go in blind!!!:

Amusingly enough, the framing device for Plus is somewhat similar to an idea I had for a DDLC mod. Which was farrrrr too big for one person to pull off, so I abandoned it, but it does give me confidence in my ideas and makes me feel like I can bring something of value to the world. :unsmith:

The explanation for Monika's name tickled me. :allears:

The Myst reference in one of the files caught me off guard. Very cool, and very appropriate for the mystery/puzzle aspect of the game.

Apparently Project Libitina is still being teased. On the one hand, it's been over four years, so it's a little weird to still be hearing its name. On the other, I totally understand Dan's desire to keep it in people's minds and continue to drum up interest. I just hope it's good :ohdear: I hate it when things get drawn out, cause I worry people will overhype it.

There's enough ~close friendship~ to satisfy me, a total degenerate.

THIS IS A BIG ONE PLEASE BE CAREFUL: I kinda wish they hadn't completely abandoned the horror aspect. I half expected poo poo to get real the closer I got to 100% completion, especially given the tension and sense of "what the gently caress is going on" that builds the more emails you get. I really wanted MES to get its comeuppance for making the AI suffer, and I'm surprised they didn't go for the typical Frankenstein's Monster denoument. I suppose that's to keep the focus on Project Libitina, but as someone who actually liked the psychological horror of the first game...it's kinda sad to see they didn't go for it.

THIS IS A BIG ONE PLEASE BE CAREFUL: What the gently caress is Metaverse Enterprise Solutions, anyway? Apparently a software company that figured out how to simulate a universe down to real-rear end artificial intelligence? And now they've got three "universes" - the original DDLC, the "no self-awareness" world of the Side Stories, and the world of Project Libitina?

---

Anyway:

If you're a big fan of DDLC and want to see the new Side Stories, I can recommend DDLC Plus!

If - paradoxically - you need a big dose of love and encouragement, I can recommend DDLC Plus!

If you're interested in trying DDLC, might as well go with DDLC Plus if you want the complete experience - I think it adds a lot!

If you're only interested in the meta aspect of the game and want to see, maybe watch some youtube videos instead!

If you'd balk at paying $15 for a ~15 hour experience, maybe don't get it!

If you think bishojo game-like visual novels are dumb, maybe don't get it!

If you think all visual novels are dumb, why are you reading this thread?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
alternatively thread... for 2 more dollars you can play lady in mystery instead... choose wisely... and remember i can kick the rear end of everyone here...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Look, I'm just really attached to DDLC, okay? I have no explanation as to why. :smith:

And don't worry, that one's on my list! Just bought it, in fact :shittypop:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pollyanna posted:

And don't worry, that one's on my list! Just bought it, in fact :shittypop:

hehe! wow! hope you like it!! love and peace!1

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh I'm sure I'll end up gushing about it here. :3:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man if someone had told me Yu No was gonna start getting into ancient aliens bullshit I woulda been on this way sooner.

Some speculation
There's obviously a fantasy world parallel to our own. That's barely hidden, I'm guessing the Jewels at the beginng of the Map that you can't hit are there, and you eventually gain the ability to start over in the other world like you can with the "real" world

Eriko sensei is some sort of creature from there, as is Ryosuke. That's why they pick up smoking so quickly, tobacco doesn't exist in their world. Eriko was sent to keep tabs on whatever creature is possessing Ryosuke. She may be the were wolf that attacked the person, which is why her clothes were gone. Alternatively Shes the woman that Takuya keeps bumping into.

Hatano is a timetraveler. at least one of her is, There's some weird discrepencies where sometimes you run into the lass and she's talkative and sometimes reticent to say anything. That and you see her change clothes too quickly between scenes

I'm guessing Ryosukes work into Humanity is less about a humaninst perepective and more about actually studying humans. My guess is every 400 years one of the worlds has a great cataclysm and the other world has been very unlucky for the past forever. Thus Ryosuke came to this world to make sure his own didn't suffer. I'm guessing the true route will be Takuya bringing the world together by hooking up with the elf chick he saw at the sword coast.

The way the game is played is really interesting but It's causing me anxiety every time I miss another jewel on the chart

This game is very seinfeld, half the problems would be solved with a cellphone

If those cats at the park are talking how I think they're talking I really don't like where this is going for Ayumi. Luckily I gotta my Bokken so I should be able to gently caress 'em up

I'll also say I have zero Idea who the PI ryozuke hired is

Also the Art installation at the school is clearly the Gems. And fortelling some sort of disaster
It also shows two rainbows symbolizing peace in both worlds, how is takuya dense enough not to see that

Ah okay the Obaasan said she hadn't seen mitsuki, and the weird kid said theres a portal. I'm guessing she's been in the other world and the Shack on the mansion grounds is the portal

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 3, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This guy had some issues he shoulda dealt with before he put pen to paper

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

after having played through The Letter i'd say the characters are overall pretty good but the horror part is clumsy in a lot of ways

mainly that it isn't very good at actually building tension, especially in the early parts. the whole time isabella goes to the mansion she's constantly talking about how creepy and scary it is there. it honestly is just way over the top, especially since the monster shows up like 20 minutes into the story. it feels....impatient, almost?

it doesn't help that while the art is good, its mostly way too bright and clean to convey any kind of unsettling or ominous feeling. this is what the outside and inside of the mansion look like while you hear isabella talking about how scared she is and how spooky everything is

the mansion is supposed to be this centuries old building that was abandoned for a long period and recently renovated. its the focal point where the ghost died and the curse spreads from. a lot of people have died here. but it looks like something out of a retail brochure, except for when there are flashes where its like covered in blood or something. feels like a real failure of art direction.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The most baffling thing about the Letter is that apparently one of the major characters was a backer character.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hold Up
Higurashi and Yu No spoilers
ISn't this Nairb syndrome the same thing as the brain disease from Higurashi? I haven't played Higu yet but that's the one spoiler I know about it.

And Kumasawa hanging herself in the Storeroom seems like a refrence to the Granny in this game killing herself, serious Yu no is interesting to play just to see how much other games took from it

And some of it is exceedingly well done. I legit almost jumped when Mitsuki tried to brain Takuya from behind. And all the graphics and Sounds are top notch

And then it also has just absolute terrible nonsense as well, You get an editor on this game and you'd have a 10 point property

Go in the well you dipshit

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 3, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like one of those hidden object games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Looking forward to when my EU copy of DDLC Plus shows up in [checks notes]...sometime after the end of September

I mean I could double dip but..I had to cough up a bit for shipping so..

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally got back to Phoenix Wright 3 and am on the Maggey Byrde case. This one is amazing. I'd have to say it is my favorite so far. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this case is one of the most popular ever?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Waltzing Along posted:

Finally got back to Phoenix Wright 3 and am on the Maggey Byrde case. This one is amazing. I'd have to say it is my favorite so far. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this case is one of the most popular ever?

That's personally like my least favorite in the entire game lol.

The third game's cases are generally popular, and its one the more popular "third case" of the series, but I still don't think its viewed as like a top 10 or anything.

For random referencing, searching random people's rankings:
  • Someone in 2015 put it as 17/29 (Now there are like 50 cases LOL)
  • Someone random blog guy played the original trilogy and put it at 11/14.
  • 3 years ago, a random redditor had it at 20/40. Commenter rankings were 12/33, 14/35, 13/20, 24/40, 33/33. 2 people only included top and bottom 5, with one not having it, and the other having it as 5th worse.

Putting these together, and it basically averages out to the community think it is a mediocre case. Everyone has pet cases that other people don't care for that much. Mine is 3-2, which I think is super underappreciated.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I like Maggey and liked her reappearance but the case is meandering and poorly signposted in the investigation portion, the finish is really good though. I've always felt that it packed some really good ideas into one case that could have used their own case to stand out.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

Look, I'm just really attached to DDLC, okay? I have no explanation as to why. :smith:

I like it too and will doubtlessly get it at some point.

Hardly a perfect story but it was cool and came at a relevant time in my life so I'm fond of it. :hf:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, it's the first one that had me laughing out loud consistently with each new introduction. I'm only on day 2 so I guess it will crater. Generally, I am just amused by the people I meet, but the chef and evil phoenix immediately became two of my favorites.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I don't think it craters or anything, it is just that people have different tastes. I think I disliked the case by the end of the first day (its hard to remember because that was like 14 years ago and I was a kid at the time).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The fan translation for Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is extremely good. Game is also my second favorite of the entire series. (First is AA 3 as you just can’t beat the emotional impact as it’s the culmination of all three games).

AAI2 probably has the strongest overall plot throughout the game. Amazing how all cases tie together. Only time the games have done that I believe.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Does anyone have any opinions or info on The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass? It appeared in my interactive recomender on Steam and it looks interesting but I can't tell whether it's worth buying or not.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1432500/The_Sekimeiya_Spun_Glass/

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm thinking about picking up the Steam version of Higurashi Gou. Does anyone have any impressions of the translation? I remember trying the original MangaGamer release of the first arc over a decade ago and it was absolutely awful.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

J-Spot posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the Steam version of Higurashi Gou. Does anyone have any impressions of the translation? I remember trying the original MangaGamer release of the first arc over a decade ago and it was absolutely awful.

I think you mean Higurashi Hou (Gou is an anime only thing) and yeah the updated translation is good.

Make sure you know that using 07th mod let's you get the PS3 version stuff like PS3 sprites, PS3 backgrounds, and voice acting. It also can allow you to have the original question arc music if you want (at some point Ryuukishi07 requested that it get replaced by a mix of answer arc music for some tracks and updated versions of the others)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MegaZeroX posted:

I think you mean Higurashi Hou (Gou is an anime only thing) and yeah the updated translation is good.

Make sure you know that using 07th mod let's you get the PS3 version stuff like PS3 sprites, PS3 backgrounds, and voice acting. It also can allow you to have the original question arc music if you want (at some point Ryuukishi07 requested that it get replaced by a mix of answer arc music for some tracks and updated versions of the others)

Cool, thanks! I started watching Gou recently not realizing it's a sequel which got me in the mood to go back and retry the VN of the the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After playing through the 2nd day of that case I can see why it's not as popular as I'd initially thought. Guess I shouldn't judge a visual novel by its...graphics? Hmm... Well, by the first chapters.