Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

John Romero posted:

So from what I’ve heard regarding Parasite the extras on the criterion are underwhelming when compared to how much better the UHD looks. The UHD is also $12 on Amazon right now.

do you guys think criterion ever goes UHD??

Parasite is fairly packed. Has the B&W cut, commentary with BJH and Tony Rayns, plus 3 1/2 hours of other extras (including a filmmaking masterclass). $32 gets you the Criterion and the bare-bones UHD, which is pretty reasonable (and on par with dual format VinSyn or Arrow).

I’m 99% sure we’re getting Criterion’s first UHD releases in October. Going to make a bold prediction that their first UHDs will be Citizen Kane and Mulholland Dr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is almost definitely a comically stupid question, but 4K discs being inherently region-free will always be the case, right? There’s no way Criterion’s UHD stuff would end up being region-locked?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Escobarbarian posted:

This is almost definitely a comically stupid question, but 4K discs being inherently region-free will always be the case, right? There’s no way Criterion’s UHD stuff would end up being region-locked?

Not a dumb question. Region locked UHDs are a thing. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=334606

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Heh went to check Unobstructed View for the Canadian sale, they have a web queue set up to go live at 11:15

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Picked up The Irishman, sex, lies and videotape, and I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

I can't recommend the latter enough. It's Robert Zemeckis' feature debut, and it's a delightful little comedy about 4 teenage girls who move heaven and earth on their way to the Ed Sullivan Show to see the Beatles perform. Nancy Allen (of RoboCop) and Wendie Jo Sperber (the sister from Back to the Future) are absolutely incredible in it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Toebone posted:

How's The Innocents? Criterion needs to do more horror.

It’s great, my favorite haunted house/ghost story film after The Haunting. Looks gorgeous too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Picked up The Irishman, sex, lies and videotape, and I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

I can't recommend the latter enough. It's Robert Zemeckis' feature debut, and it's a delightful little comedy about 4 teenage girls who move heaven and earth on their way to the Ed Sullivan Show to see the Beatles perform. Nancy Allen (of RoboCop) and Wendie Jo Sperber (the sister from Back to the Future) are absolutely incredible in it.

It’s an incredibly charming film, plus it’s a fairly packed release. 45 min conversation between Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale (who co-wrote it), and Steven Spielberg (this was his first film as producer); interviews with Nancy Allen and Marc McClure, some of Zemeckis’ student films, and a commentary with Zemeckis and Gale recorded for the DVD. Really nice 4K restoration, too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Barnes & Noble is for a month, right? Gonna have to check out The Innocents when I get paid again in a couple of weeks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Barnes and Noble membership no longer stacks with the Criterion sale! This is the worst thing that has happened in the past 18 months.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Gripweed posted:

The Barnes and Noble membership no longer stacks with the Criterion sale! This is the worst thing that has happened in the past 18 months.

Mine never did so you've now joined me. :smith:

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Grabbed fire walk with me and grand Budapest. The B&n I went to is one of two in my state that has movies still, I asked if they would get rid of the section and the woman said “not if you nerds stop cleaning us out every sale”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Picked up Down By Law. Bit of a blind buy, but I did like Fishing With John.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I have a few titles I've picked up over the years that I never got super attached to. Considering that MSRP for titles is pretty standard is there a thread for swapping titles with other goons, or is there any interest here in a thread for that purpose? I'm thinking along the lines of what they do in The Great Game Swap thread.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I have a few titles I've picked up over the years that I never got super attached to. Considering that MSRP for titles is pretty standard is there a thread for swapping titles with other goons, or is there any interest here in a thread for that purpose? I'm thinking along the lines of what they do in The Great Game Swap thread.

Sure I'll trade my Columbia Classics Vol 1 (currently being scalped for like $1000+ on ebay) for 50 Criterion blu-rays please

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So...no?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sorry, I'm messing around. I'd say go for it, just be aware of the possibility of getting scammed and report it to nyc_tattoo/LODGE NORTH immediately if it does happen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Roth posted:

Sorry, I'm messing around. I'd say go for it, just be aware of the possibility of getting scammed and report it to nyc_tattoo/LODGE NORTH immediately if it does happen.

Oh yeah, for sure. I prolly won't swap anything rare, mostly used, nice condition criterion blus/dvds that are currently in circulation. I just have titles I won't be watching a second time, they're sitting around taking up space and might be more to someone else's taste, but I'm just too lazy to co-ordinate selling stuff. Of course, there's less incentive to do it right now during the sale. I'll see what kind of thread I can put up in SA Mart after July, and I'll link it in here.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I’ve had the same idea, I think it could work in the same format as that Games thread. I’d participate anyway!

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Would also participate in a trade thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:stoked:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Harry Privates posted:

Would also participate in a trade thread.

Same.

I bought it during the last sale, but tonight I watched Mikey & Nicky with some friends and that’s a hell of a movie. Falk and Cassavetes being friends in real life gives the whole movie a very natural off-the-cuff vibe and they’re just entertaining as hell in every scene. I don’t know that I’d recommend blind-buying it unless you’re a fan of either guy, but definitely give it a watch if it ever pops up on Criterion Channel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

blus picked up from sale

- The Thin Red Line (replacing dvd copy)
- Wanda
- Streetwise
- Girlfriends
- Wanda
- Che

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

blus picked up from sale

- The Thin Red Line (replacing dvd copy)
- Wanda
- Streetwise
- Girlfriends
- Wanda
- Che

Is Wanda really that good?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same.

I bought it during the last sale, but tonight I watched Mikey & Nicky with some friends and that’s a hell of a movie. Falk and Cassavetes being friends in real life gives the whole movie a very natural off-the-cuff vibe and they’re just entertaining as hell in every scene. I don’t know that I’d recommend blind-buying it unless you’re a fan of either guy, but definitely give it a watch if it ever pops up on Criterion Channel.

It was on the channel, because I watched it (twice, three times? with people to show it after it was recommended here) but I think it’s off right now. It is a fantastic movie, and BWDR had a solid essay on it that really sold me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gripweed posted:

Is Wanda really that good?

It's an uncompromisingly honest look at American working class life and one of the few films from the period to assume a woman's perspective. If you appreciate neorealism and/or the intimate perfomance style of John Cassavetes, there's no reason not to give it a shot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For the first week I ended up grabbing The Breakfast Club, Badlands, The Brood and Women In Love.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Women In Love.

Russell is awesome and this film is great, also the art on the cover is fantastic, especially after you've watched it and know about the scene.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I watched Fast 9 in theaters yesterday and tonight I watched Koreeda's walking life (which I am now going to buy). I think I created the Family double feature accidently.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The animation section this month on the channel is great.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Got
Notorious
Being John Malkovic
Godzilla
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

Its a drat shame that the most famous Hitchcock stuff isn't on Criterion. Whats a good version of Vertigo?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LionYeti posted:

Its a drat shame that the most famous Hitchcock stuff isn't on Criterion. Whats a good version of Vertigo?

There was a Hitchcock 4k set with Vertigo in it, if you're into that format. If you don't want to buy the whole set Vertigo is getting an individual 4k release in September along with Rear Window.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

smallmouth posted:

The animation section this month on the channel is great.

I think it's probably the best thing they've put on the channel as of late, at least as far as my interests go. I've been wanting to watch Plague Dogs and Son of the White Mare for a long time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Picked up Eating Raoul on a whim. All I know about Eating Raoul is that two characters from it are also in the movie Chopping Mall, and that is in some way incongruous

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Eating Raoul is one of my all-time favs, just perfect unhinged nonsense.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Neo-Noir Collection is great on the Channel right now. I figure I am in for a good time since some of the films I have seen are my favourite films. I probably won't get the chance, but I'd love to watch the remainder of the 26 that I haven't seen.

I ended up watching Mona Lisa last night and was floored by Bob Hoskins' performance (and Cathy Tyson is also wonderful).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wanted some old Hollywood stuff so I blind bought some stuff based off the credentials.

-Design for Living
-It Happened One Night
-Only Angels Have Wings

And I got my friend a copy of Magnificent Ambersons.

I’m expecting them to be all bangers, except for Ambersons which I already know is.

By any chance does anybody have an opinion on Kameradschaft and/or Mandabi?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

-Design for Living

I really liked this film, but my DVD was cracked somehow after lending it to a friend. Need to re-up on blu

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

By any chance does anybody have an opinion on Kameradschaft and/or Mandabi?

I can't vouch directly for either film, but based on the work I've seen from Pabst and Sembène, they're all but guaranteed to be solid picks.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
Kameradschaft is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
American Movie is on Criterion Channel. Please everyone go watch that. It is a treasure.