Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gaj posted:

My idiot father installed gutter guards on some broken rain gutters. But he was cheap, and only installed 2 4ft sections where there are trees (100 ft oak trees). This is a bad idea right? Basically if any leaves or debris gets stuck at one end of the gutter guard... it will catch and build up more leaves.

So by not fully enclosing the gutter system, he has increased the chance of gutter blockages and overflows?

Depends on the type of gutter guard. Some would "work" this way (i.e., not make things worse, but probably not make them much better) and others will definitely just make a bigger clog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone recommend a pole trimmer? Power or manual is cool. I'm tied into the Bosch tools, but I don't think they offer one.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have been pretty happy with the greenworks 80v one that I have. It does take an odd chain if you like to keep a spare.

But its been super handy to have and hasn’t given any issues.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Well I was planning on redoing part of my front yard with gravel or pavers or something and I feel like I may have unearthed a bastard of a situation. My main irrigation line runs from the street through this part of the yard

The shut off for everything is in that metal thing. The main line comes up then splits into two lines. Those two green boxes are my pressure reducer and the filter. The other green box is the main shut off for not just my neighbor behind me, but the neighbor next to him. Apparently the right most 18 inches or so of the yard is a shared easement between my neighbor and I for the irrigation line to get to his house and his neighbor's house. I've talked to them and they're cool with me covering up the area with gravel or whatever.

Apparently the city is planning on installing water meters for our irrigation lines "at the point of service". Which makes it sound like they'll be putting it in right at the point where it exits the street. They also state on their site "Ownership and/or use of a service connection by more than one property is prohibited. Use of pressurized irrigation water from the service connection of a different user by a person or entity not contracted to use that service is prohibited."

Now I'm wondering how the gently caress this is all going to work out. Where will their water meters go? I'm calling the water district on Monday to hopefully figure it all out. I'm hopeful this doesn't get real dumb and they accuse us of water theft

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hotel Kpro posted:

Apparently the city is planning on installing water meters for our irrigation lines "at the point of service". .................... Where will their water meters go?

If they want to be real dicks about it everyone will need their own tap from the main individually and the water company will put a meter right there. This is what they want to do because they don't want to be responsible for service lines on anyone's property or even just the associated water loss if they break before the meter.

They may be more reasonable since this is pre-existing. But they also may not.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yooper posted:

Anyone recommend a pole trimmer? Power or manual is cool. I'm tied into the Bosch tools, but I don't think they offer one.

I bought a corded Black & Decker that is actually an electric chainsaw that can be connected to a pole and remotely switched, and it worked great, both as a pole saw and a chainsaw, however, it’s pretty heavy, because it’s a fair-sized chainsaw at the end of a pole, rather than a dedicated one designed for weight and compact size. About $100 at Home Depot. I didn’t need cordless - I can reach all of my yard with extension cords, and wanted to limit costs as well. I wanted the separable chainsaw because I will likely use that more. I have an Echo gas chainsaw, but this is so much more convenient, other than the cord. Smaller, too (gas one is 18”, electric is 14”, IIRC.) it cut like gangbusters on the limbs I needed down.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Gravely are asked about last week sold before I could get there, but the same guy just posted this and I’m headed to look tomorrow.

It’s definitely more than I need for 3 acres, but I’m kind of into the overkill. I also expect to be mowing my parents unoccupied 5 acres soon.

Thoughts? Things to look out for? Do you think there’s room to haggle?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If that thing is in the shape as presented its looks great.

But if I was picking up an extra 5 acres of finish mowing I would not be shopping a zero turn. That sounds like a great excuse for a multi deck finish mower behind a 25-40 HP tractor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Talking to the neighbors, I’m pretty confident that a beefy ZT is the right tool for my house.

My dad is currently towing his stamped-deck Cub Caset ZT an hour each way to mow that other 5ac and he’s getting it done, but now I live around the corner so I suspect it’ll become my job. I can get away with just mowing the front half.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I personally have the 2 hour rule with my lawn. I don’t want to spend more than that per cut working on it. This includes loving with the mower. The zero turns you have been looking at should be able to cut three acres in two hours especially if its flat with minimal obstacles. But throw in another 5 acres, and I agree with Motronic - you need to be cutting 12-15’ swaths.

Unless you live for cutting grass.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A goat is more likely to happen than a tractor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Do I have an Amazon Prime series for you to watch.......go look up season 1 episode 2 of Clarkson's Farm.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s dumb contested inheritance land, willed to be split between two stubborn brothers. Someday it’ll probably be auctioned on the courthouse steps. Until then it just need to keep it short enough that the city won’t fine my grandmother. 4-5 times per summer, probably.

I only mentioned it to justify buying an overkill commercial mower for my own place.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

eddiewalker posted:

I have about 40 and I can tell you its a bad idea.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

rdb posted:

I have about 40 and I can tell you its a bad idea.

Sounds like you need to start a youtube channel!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Didn't actually realize there was a thread for this, so I'm cross-posting from A/T:

Having some erosion/wasting on a corner of our back yard's retaining wall. It looks like dirt is getting out somehow. We had the wall inspected before we bought this spring but put in a fence later. I wonder if the fence posts shifted something. I poured a bunch of leveling sand in the hole today as a stopgap against impending rain, but this is something I should call a landscaping company about ASAP, right?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Alarbus posted:

Sounds like you need to start a youtube channel!

No, I can only complain about them and no one has time for that poo poo. We also use deep manure packs in the barn and theres usually flies and nasty spots - the reality of livestock. They aren’t pets. They aren’t really good at clearing brush either. You have to pack them in and provide no other food options. So to keep 5 acres clear you would need about 40-50 and the electric fence from hell. Sheep and goat woven wire works too as long as you run electric along the top. They are also highly prone to dying from stupid poo poo so constant vigilance is a must. I have seen them go from fine to dead in 12 hours from diarrhea, blind in as little as a day from diarrhea and b vitamin deficiency, bucks in rut die overnight from urinary calculi (they get stupid and only eat the most tasty things when in rut), all sorts of parasite problems, and there I go, complaining. Invincible tin can eating brush destroying pets they are not. Lord forbid you have yew on the property or one of a plethora of not good things for ruminates.

I can go on and on.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

shirts and skins posted:

Didn't actually realize there was a thread for this, so I'm cross-posting from A/T:

Having some erosion/wasting on a corner of our back yard's retaining wall. It looks like dirt is getting out somehow. We had the wall inspected before we bought this spring but put in a fence later. I wonder if the fence posts shifted something. I poured a bunch of leveling sand in the hole today as a stopgap against impending rain, but this is something I should call a landscaping company about ASAP, right?

Water has to go somewhere and it likes to go down. Also, you need to fill the hole with something that water wont wash away.

The correct fix here is to put gravel in the hole and give the water somewhere else to go by fixing the slope. Or call the landscaper before it becomes a sinkhole.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

rdb posted:

No, I can only complain about them and no one has time for that poo poo. We also use deep manure packs in the barn and theres usually flies and nasty spots - the reality of livestock. They aren’t pets. They aren’t really good at clearing brush either. You have to pack them in and provide no other food options. So to keep 5 acres clear you would need about 40-50 and the electric fence from hell. Sheep and goat woven wire works too as long as you run electric along the top. They are also highly prone to dying from stupid poo poo so constant vigilance is a must. I have seen them go from fine to dead in 12 hours from diarrhea, blind in as little as a day from diarrhea and b vitamin deficiency, bucks in rut die overnight from urinary calculi (they get stupid and only eat the most tasty things when in rut), all sorts of parasite problems, and there I go, complaining. Invincible tin can eating brush destroying pets they are not. Lord forbid you have yew on the property or one of a plethora of not good things for ruminates.

I can go on and on.

Well all that terrible is offset by Sly Fox Brewing having annual goat races to name the yearly Bock beer! Primary rule - goat cannot be dragged over the finish line.

(Also, that sounds like a lot of poo poo to put up with. :( )

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

rdb posted:

I can go on and on.

this is all sounds great though

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Like a glove!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Like a glove!

What the hell was that garage built for? Clown cars?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Motronic posted:

I mean it's pretty clear what it's built for!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

There’s 5 bays between the house and detached shop, so previous owner chopped that one into a finished laundry with exactly enough space for a 60” mower. I love it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know a family that has a chopped garage that they keep a whole lot of bicycles in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

There’s 5 bays between the house and detached shop, so previous owner chopped that one into a finished laundry with exactly enough space for a 60” mower. I love it.

Ahh, that makes sense. Nice fit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

Ahh, that makes sense. Nice fit.

It does, and with that many other garages, I would happily sacrifice I to *not have the laundry be in my damned garage*.
Why, no, my current residence doesn’t have a laundry room. Why do you ask?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So how do you you go about levelling a bit of land? I have a garden that's about 20m long by 5m wide, roughly that slopes slightly across its width which is a bit annoying (we want to put a pond in and it would look odd if the ground around it wasn't more level) . So we decided we should try to level it. There's a stone wall along one edge with mature fruit trees ( the high side) and a wooden fence along the other side. My plan was to just dig up the soil and just level it off, is that an insane plan? I'm was going to use steel edging to retain the soil on the high side because I don't want to disturb the trees, then level bit and then more edging at the other side.

Anyone got some tips or advice?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Digging it up is exactly how you do that, so no...it' not a crazy idea.

Soil composition and your general physical condition dictate if you're crazy to try doing this with a shovel. At 20m long it's probably insane no matter what with that.

What we get into here is your access to equipment (a tractor with a bucket, a skid loader, etc), how much dirt will come off, where that needs to or can go, how deep your topsoil is (might need to scrape that off, take off something under, put the topsoil back on).

So yeah, achievable, but there are a lot of specifics that will determine what kind of effort this might be.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sadly my garden is surrounded by a wall with the opening being a standard door size hole. In it. So far I've been using a pickaxe to break up the surface and discovered that 8"' or so below the surface are a bunch of bricks for some reason, so I'm removing them just now. Based on progress I think the area that I need to level (so not counting the trees and a willow dome) I can dig up in a 2 or 3 days.

Then I was going to hammer some stakes into the ground, level them and then try to level the ground in relation to them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A horse fly trap. Mostly made from junk I had lying around, only the net was bought.

The inverted bucket has a lid, which has a hole with the top of a PET bottle hot glued to it, the horse flies are supposed to get trapped in there. Will be interesting to see how it works, some real big assholes are out and about now when the temps hve hit 30C

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

rdb posted:

Water has to go somewhere and it likes to go down. Also, you need to fill the hole with something that water wont wash away.

The correct fix here is to put gravel in the hole and give the water somewhere else to go by fixing the slope. Or call the landscaper before it becomes a sinkhole.

Well, I called landscapers and they're booked solid. Seems my job is too small in the days of covid demand.

The hole grew some more, it's a real cavity down there, right behind the wall stonework. Still pretty small. There's a corrugated plastic pipe coming from the bottom of the wall so it looks like there's a French Drain, but if that's the case I wonder why it isn't channeling the water.

Think this is something I can fix myself with gravel? I get the idea that we want to channel water but I don't want to make the problem worse on my own.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Think this is something I can fix myself with gravel? I get the idea that we want to channel water but I don't want to make the problem worse on my own.

I think you're unlikely to make it worse by pouring gravel in there—there's probably gravel behind the wall already as backfill.

From the photos it looks like it's a retaining wall made of cinder blocks? If you're using blocks like that you really have to handle drainage if you don't want it to get hosed, so I would be sort of concerned that whoever put it in didn't do what they should have done. Usually you'd have both a perforated drainage pipe running parallel to the wall behind it and a number of weep holes/pipes coming out of the face of it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

shirts and skins posted:

Well, I called landscapers and they're booked solid. Seems my job is too small in the days of covid demand.

The hole grew some more, it's a real cavity down there, right behind the wall stonework. Still pretty small. There's a corrugated plastic pipe coming from the bottom of the wall so it looks like there's a French Drain, but if that's the case I wonder why it isn't channeling the water.

Wait until it rains and tell me if water is going in the hole or coming out? Did they hit the drain pipe with a post?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Did a little mowing today and hosed up.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's a surprising amount of drop, jesus. how close were you to bottoming out?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rdb posted:

Did a little mowing today and hosed up.

That's not gone well. Was the mahindra able to rip it out?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Got it out, I put a bucket on it instead of the pallet forks (i had already removed them in this picture) used the kenetic rope to pull the bush hog off the drawbar a little, worked it back/forth and around a little to the right side using the right brake and EVENTUALLY I used the loader to pull it up the right side of the embankment. The left side looks shallower but water seeps out. Stepping out of the cab I sunk halfway to my knee. The mahindra and my UTV couldn’t make that thing budge in either direction. Tractor is 120hp, weighs 10,000lbs without the loader/bucket, smaller tires and no ballast. I would estimate as pictured the tractor weighs in around 13-14k plus the batwing. The mahindra weighs around 2700 with ballast I think. Wasn’t gonna happen. I didn’t dare come out in my truck, neighbors offered to pull me out with a 230hp tractor with duals but I would have had to wait.

Batwing is still buried. Maybe tomorrow I will mess with it. I really hate taking that PTO shaft apart but I had to. That batwing (2013 JD CX15) probably weighs 7500lbs and the front is plowing mud at this point.

The mud was touching the bottom of the rear axle. You can just see it halfway up the tire in this picture.

I was trying to avoid that gully but the soft spot to the side surprised me and once the batwing got mired it was all over. I will snap a picture of the back of the tractor before I clean it for lols.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is that your property? i know there's the ditch right there but on my farm if i have ground that saturated it usually means there's a broken tile drain somewhere under my feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It is, its just what locals call a seep. The geology here is mostly weathered sandstone beneath sandy loam. I have owned this place for 1 year as of July 16th so I have no idea if its tiled. If it is, its old clay poo poo. I have the excavation company out this week to put in septic and they are going to quote a pond to cover up some of the valleys. But I have already been warned that’s expensive and because of the size (dam would be over 20’ tall and volume exceeds 100 acre feet) I need stamped engineering plans, a permit from Indiana DNR and a $100 inspection every five years. We will see I guess. I think a poo poo ton more cows would help too.