Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

It's because he's Shin they are the white people.

Yes I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's weird how Shallan is basically a white Scandanavian woman since I could've sworn Sanderson mentioned that nobody except the Shin are "white" and some of the Shin descriptions sounds almost sickly pale while the rest of the world's people are varying darker (or blueish) skin tones. She looks lighter-skinned than Szeth on those playing cards.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's weird how Shallan is basically a white Scandanavian woman since I could've sworn Sanderson mentioned that nobody except the Shin are "white" and some of the Shin descriptions sounds almost sickly pale while the rest of the world's people are varying darker (or blueish) skin tones. She looks lighter-skinned than Szeth on those playing cards.

she's always basically been described as pale/redheaded, the shin are just notable for being both pale-skinned and lacking epicanthic folds so they have the 'round eyes' thing

in other places brandon says he imagines veden people to look like pictures of mongolian or uyghur folks with light skin/red hair.

but you're right that there's some incongruity in depictions of her, where a lot of times it just comes off as "Irish lady" unless you're paying close attention to the eyes

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 20, 2021

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Shallan definitely has a lot of traits that would often get sorted with the Irish stereotypical package except for the epicanthic folds, pretty much everyone on Roshar has them. If I had to guess I’d say Cultivation has altered humans to better suit their biome and epicanthic folds have some advantages in dealing with UV damage and I think particles getting stuck in eyes, so everyone bar the Shin got them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For whatever reason I immagined Shallan and the vedens as like more the "sorta white people but tan" in the exact opposite way that redheaded irish people often tend to NOT tan.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That is pretty much how I imagined Wit.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KKKLIP ART posted:

That is pretty much how I imagined Wit.

I just now realized that I imagined him like Shakespeare in his youth

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

I just now realized that I imagined him like Shakespeare in his youth

I mean not to get super anime but I really saw him looking as Levi from Attack on Titan in my minds eye.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I honestly have no idea how to picture Wit. He's in so many books as so many people I don't bother anymore.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
He's like much skinner Brandon Insert, imo.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

I didn't get much feeling of anime in Stormlight. I mean comics have people flying and poo poo all over the place.

Szeth though. Szeth is 100% anime.

The giant swords and magic armour that explodes in puffs of light are pretty anime aren't they?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Space Butler posted:

The giant swords and magic armour that explodes in puffs of light are pretty anime aren't they?

shapeshifting weapons that talk and are your best friend = anime

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Space Butler posted:

I'm grading on a curve. Yeah that's all anime but so is everything else if you rot your brain to think about it enough.

I'm just saying Szeth/Nightblood is #1 anime in Stormlight. You can grade everything else below him if you care to bother.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Barreft posted:

I'm grading on a curve. Yeah that's all anime but so is everything else if you rot your brain to think about it enough.

I'm just saying Szeth/Nightblood is #1 anime in Stormlight. You can grade everything else below him if you care to bother.

yeah hes a shounen rival character

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
szeth and kaladin traveling together is going to be so good

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Weekly update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baWFQvtMvBQ

Blitzing through the next books, including Redawn (Skyward universe collab novella) and Lost Metal. Skyward 4 is now on the horizon, what a machine.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Way of Kings is the best sanderson book I've read by leaps and bounds. I think I'm going to take a break before Warbreaker and the rest of the Stormlight books because I've seriously read 8 of this dude's novels this year, but it's going to be hard because I desperately want to see more Roshar stuff

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reaverbot posted:

Way of Kings is the best sanderson book I've read by leaps and bounds. I think I'm going to take a break before Warbreaker and the rest of the Stormlight books because I've seriously read 8 of this dude's novels this year, but it's going to be hard because I desperately want to see more Roshar stuff

Read what you want to read IMO :)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Looks like some of the first of Brandon’s partner projects are starting to come out. Lux, the audio exclusive new Reckoners book comes out next month.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The physical release of Dark One came out recently. I checked it out from the library. A quick read and a way better experience than White Sand.

I'm intrigued and I want to read more of this.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ok so I decided to take a break after WoR to flesh out my collection a bit and bought the rest of the mistborn 2 books, arcanum unbound, and elantris/warbreaker.

Took me a week or two of halfhearted attempts to finally get properly dug into Alloy of Law, but I finally managed it by reading along with the audiobook for a few chapters and I'm absolutely loving it. Steelpushing and Weight manipulation is a really fun combo and I find it a lot more interesting than having every allomantic power on tap like Vin did. Definitely digging the more modern setting too, very nice change of pace. Characters seem pretty great too, and I'm loving the main plotline so far.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Reaverbot posted:

I have a hard time picking between Way of Kings and Oathbringer, they both just have some killer moments.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

Took me a week or two of halfhearted attempts to finally get properly dug into Alloy of Law, but I finally managed it by reading along with the audiobook for a few chapters and I'm absolutely loving it.

I had the same thing. I'm not even sure why, but the first... 1/3 or so of that book just did a terrible job capturing my attention. The prelude felt super contrived and I just didn't care for the main characters at all. Finally after multiple false starts I finally got about halfway through and things started to click.

It's weird, because the characters in era 2 are more cliche than the characters in era 1 (who themselves are pretty cliche), but once Sanderson leans into that for about half a book it just works all of the sudden, and I can't explain why.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Alloy of Law felt like Brandon just really wanted to write allomancy gun fight scenes and everything else in the book is in service of facilitating them.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Really excited to see what Cadmium can do, that's such a weird power and I can already tell he's got something clever planned with it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm on Bands of Mourning and I just glaze over every action scene cause after 3 books reading Push Push Pull Push, etc every paragraph sucks.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I really miss full allomancers and the sheer variety of things they can do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anshu posted:

I really miss full allomancers and the sheer variety of things they can do.

Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see allomancers with more than one metal (but not full mistborn) in Era 3.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see allomancers with more than one metal (but not full mistborn) in Era 3.

Yeah it's hinted at in bands of mourning but you can make items that will grant abilities

Between Nicrosil (investiture), Aluminum (Identity), and Duralumin (Connection) in feruchemy there are multiple ways you could grant abilities, though it would require someone with all those abilities or a team of people working together to make and charge them.

A feruchemist could drain themselves of identity and make a metalmind that anyone could use. We've seen some crazy things bondsmiths can do with Connection, so there's probably a way to unlock abilities that way. And of course you could store up investiture to power anything that the user couldn't innately access

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah it's hinted at in bands of mourning but you can make items that will grant abilities

Yea they're called hemalurgic spikes :getin:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sanderson has previously said that powers will have weakened further in Mistborn Era 3 so I imagine there will be something to mix it up and still make them interesting.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Reaverbot posted:

Alloy of Law felt like Brandon just really wanted to write allomancy gun fight scenes and everything else in the book is in service of facilitating them.

I think it's how it started. The gunfight in the middle of the book was written on a plane ride or something and the rest of the book emerged from that seed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tweet my meat posted:

Really excited to see what Cadmium can do, that's such a weird power and I can already tell he's got something clever planned with it.

He has said it's important to space travel in future Cosmere books, but yeah it is just weird as gently caress so there has to be a way to do something with it. One of the Era 2 books even has Steris use it in an amazing way so it has to be possible. It's just situational.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Didn't the end of bands of morning have the bands allow the wielder to use all allomantic and feruchemic abilities, so as long as the person with them doesn't blow it, they could compound refill all the metalminds, and theoretically create more bands with metal being the only limiter to how much they can create?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I just ignore most action sequences and I find I like Mistborn season 2 or whatever way better that way. I like the books but I can only read Push Push Pull Pull Push Pull 20 times a page before I blank out.

I'm sure in his mind whatever Wax and Wayne are doing is cool

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think that to recharge the bands you’d need to circulate them through 16 different twinborn. Each one could use the bands to compound and store their specialty. I don’t think the bands themselves turn you into a compounder, they just give you access to an identity unkeyed massive ferruchemical reserve.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
One of my good friends got me into Sanderson and I sped read the first three Mistborn books (excellent), Warbreaker (also excellent) and am 65% of the way through Elantris (rough at times but I'm aware it's one of his first books). From there he says I should read the Stormlight books next (The Way of Kings), that sound like a good next series to hit up?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Louisgod posted:

One of my good friends got me into Sanderson and I sped read the first three Mistborn books (excellent), Warbreaker (also excellent) and am 65% of the way through Elantris (rough at times but I'm aware it's one of his first books). From there he says I should read the Stormlight books next (The Way of Kings), that sound like a good next series to hit up?

So you’re almost where I am. I did the Mistborn Trilogy, Elantris, and am starting Warbreaker. After that, I plan on hitting Wax & Wayne before moving on to Stormlight.

You might want to pick up Arcanum Unbound so you can hit up Emperor’s Soul (which takes place in the Elantris universe).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Louisgod posted:

next you should read the blade itself by joe abercrombie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

So you’re almost where I am. I did the Mistborn Trilogy, Elantris, and am starting Warbreaker. After that, I plan on hitting Wax & Wayne before moving on to Stormlight.

You might want to pick up Arcanum Unbound so you can hit up Emperor’s Soul (which takes place in the Elantris universe).

I was thinking about reading the second trilogy of Mistborn (think that's what Wax & Wayne is) but I need a break from that world for a bit, and Warbreaker was a great distraction. I'll look into hitting up Arcanum and Emperor's Soul next though my friend really keeps pushing the Stormlight books, mostly so he has somebody to talk to about them.

scary ghost dog posted:

next you should read the blade itself by joe abercrombie

okay I'll add it to my list.