Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SamBishop posted:

Did some kind of legislation expire or something? I'm seeing SO. loving. MANY drug commercials now, and it makes me want to tunnel into my TV kill every last one of them while they talk to people like we are doctors and then tell us not to take their drug if we're allergic to it.

I'm not sure if it's because they've wormed their way into dumping a shitton of cash into streaming TV (I used PlayStation Vue because of our work discount and moved to YouTube TV once our TV aspirations cratered hard at the end of 2019), but I literally see them every commercial break on every program I can't skip, and I know Google is doing some heavy targeting because if you rewind past some commercials, you can actually see what was encoded in the stream, and if you hit play on that part, it's something completely different, but I swear it's gotten so much worse in the last week or two.

It's not an exaggeration to say there's at least one per break, and I loving despise them so much.

They all make me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

X-O posted:

I don't believe there's been any casting info on that show at all actually.

There were some character profiles released which include the intended ethnicity of the character. It's also written in a vague confusing way that makes it seem like it takes place in a modern day high school or something.

https://thegww.com/exclusive-netflixs-avatar-the-last-airbender-plot-and-character-descriptions/

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just watched the first episode of the flight attendant. It's good. Kayle Cuco is great, and I am glad that The Big Bang Theory is dead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just watched the first episode of the flight attendant. It's good. Kayle Cuco is great, and I am glad that The Big Bang Theory is dead.

Realizing that BBT was just a group of people being really lovely to each other was eye opening, for me. Removing the laugh-track shows just how horrid it really was.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Flight Attendant was one this years surprises for me. Seems to thourougly mediocre at first but it really hits its groove fast.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MiddleOne posted:

Seems to thourougly mediocre at first but it really hits its groove fast.

Don't steal my tinder description.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's good, we worked really hard on it! We had to shoot two episodes mid-pandemic!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really enjoyed The Flight Attendant and am cautiously hopeful for season two.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's good, we worked really hard on it! We had to shoot two episodes mid-pandemic!

Anything cool you've done recently (that you can talk about) ?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Flight Attendant slaps

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah kudos

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh my loving god. That end of episode 5!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Flight Attendant was such a nice surprise

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm in the middle of episode six by now. and it's starting to dawn on me, that Cassie's mental health might not be as great as the show depicts. I'm starting to think she's an alcoholic!
Edit: The rest of this episode sort of supports my suspicion, but I'm reserving my judgements on that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 2, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dad kept getting so annoyed when she would drink or do something that wasn’t smart and I was like dude this is literally the point of the show

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

The Flight Attendant was one this years surprises for me. Seems to thourougly mediocre at first but it really hits its groove fast.

That Sheldon wasn't brutally murdered at some point (even if he saved Leonard from getting arrested for Treason) will remain one of television's great mysteries.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Finished the show. That was quite a great ride!
Still a bit on the fence about the alcoholism. Was it a subtle implication, or just my imagination going wild? I guess some mysteries are best left unsolved and some interpretations have to be made by the viewer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1411082926142279685?s=21

Huh, shame. Show had some big flaws, but it was still a helluva ride, and I wanted to see where they went beyond the source material.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was hoping it would continue overall. It took huge swings and some of them were absolutely huge misses, especially the finale, but when it hit it resulted in some of the best episodes of last year.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The time traveling episode was stellar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jonathan Majors and Jurnee Smollett were so incandescent that they performed themselves right out of HBO-series-regular tier. Majors has already been cast as Kang in the MCU and I expect equally big roles for Smollett

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the idea of Lovecraft County is good, the execution was just bad. The actors deserve to be in something that is actually good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dredd rocked, that's all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lovecraft Country was all over the place, but I really dig how weird it got and I was looking forward to a second season. Oh well.

I don’t know how the source book is structured, but maybe the show would have been better received if it had just been an anthology of stories starring the same cast and characters instead of the loose and kinda muddled arc running through the whole season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mishagreen/status/1411123731653566466?s=21

drat

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ten times more interesting than where the first season ended. Goddamn.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gently caress, that could have been cool.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Can someone explain the Jefferson Commonwealth thing? Seems like the wrong founding father for New England + Greater New York.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And that’s why you don’t save a cool concept for a second season.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And that’s why you don’t save a cool concept for a second season.

yeah lol, owned

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean the first season was an adaptation of the book, and they might not even have come up with that idea until afterwards

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wasn’t it insanely popular? There was so much discussion of it online.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lovecraft Country was all over the place, but I really dig how weird it got and I was looking forward to a second season. Oh well.

I don’t know how the source book is structured, but maybe the show would have been better received if it had just been an anthology of stories starring the same cast and characters instead of the loose and kinda muddled arc running through the whole season.

That's basically what the book was. It was a series of loosely connected stories about the extended family where every character didn't appear in every story. With the separate elements all coming together for a finale.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Finished the show. That was quite a great ride!
Still a bit on the fence about the alcoholism. Was it a subtle implication, or just my imagination going wild? I guess some mysteries are best left unsolved and some interpretations have to be made by the viewer.

I was on the fence about that too until about 3 minutes into the first episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Esco Esco Esco! (and others?)

No Black Monday this week! But last week's was really good. It's a fun show worth the watch. This season has basically become Happy Endings (David Caspe's other show about psychopathically funny, deeply co-dependent friends trying to integrate with society) but with an added serial killer subplot. It's a Goldberg / Rogen joint too (Preacher, Invincible, The Boys, Future Man). And if you're just a general TV nerd, the most recent episode was one of the better bottle episodes that a show has put on in years. Just a really funny, really good, straightforward take on the episode style, but really loving funny and with strong character stuff.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Alright, you bastards convinced me to sign up for Apple TV and now I just watched all of Ted Lasso in one sitting and it was exactly as good as you all said it was and I loved it. I hope you're happy because I am.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

Alright, you bastards convinced me to sign up for Apple TV and now I just watched all of Ted Lasso in one sitting and it was exactly as good as you all said it was and I loved it. I hope you're happy because I am.

Now watch Mythic Quest and you're done with that service. At least until season 2 of Ted Lasso comes out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which is in less than 3 weeks!

Also For All Mankind is great watch that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Now watch Mythic Quest and you're done with that service. At least until season 2 of Ted Lasso comes out.

Servant is fantastic too if you like horror.