Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Apple TV is making a big push to be a major player in the streaming service . 'The Morning Show' was good. 'Ted Lasso' was very good. 'The Shrink Next Door' looks like it could be great.

And I am also VERY excited for 'Foundation'....based on a classic novel written by one of the all time great science fiction authors, Issac Asimov. Holy smokes.....just watched the trailer.....that looks incredible. Wasn't sure how an adaption would work for something like this. Just way too ambitious a novel....like Dune or Hyperion....where a film just wouldn't be long enough to capture it. But a big budget television show could definitely do it justice. Doesn't appear that they are cutting corners here....which is good. Looking forward to seeing Lee Pace in another co-leading role....after the very good, 'Halt and Catch Fire'. And then of course.....Jared Harris is great in everything.

For All Mankind is fantastic too, and people seem to like Servant and Mythic Quest, too - I keep meaning to start Servant, actually, now that it's available on all my devices.

Apple+ is killing it with their original content tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Aardvark! posted:

gently caress! Time to get another streaming service :negative:. I've been hearing so many good things about Mythic Quest and Ted Lasso and I'm not sure I can hold back my curiosity any longer

edit: i caved and subscribed, oh well :shepface:

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 30, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Aardvark! posted:

For All Mankind is fantastic too, and people seem to like Servant and Mythic Quest, too - I keep meaning to start Servant, actually, now that it's available on all my devices.

Completely forgot about 'Mythic Quest'. Yeah....that show rocks too. 'For All Mankind' is something that I haven't watched....but I'm not sure why. Seems like it would be right up my alley. Plus....and I didn't know this until right now....but Michael Dormer from 'Patriot' is one of the leads. I'll likely end up checking out 'Servant' too. It's another show that has gotten high marks. Not to mention that I really shouldn't doubt any shows on Apple+ right now....considering how good they've all been so far.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I heard mixed stuff regarding See and some of their movies have been middling.

It’ll be interesting to see how they progress with Ted Lasso’s success under their belt. COVID put a halt on their pipeline right when it was supposed to start churning out regular debuts.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

HOLY gently caress posted:

gently caress! Time to get another streaming service :negative:. I've been hearing so many good things about Mythic Quest and Ted Lasso and I'm not sure I can hold back my curiosity any longer

edit: i caved and subscribed, oh well :shepface:

drat.....and now I just saw a trailer for 'Schmigadoon'. Parody of a 1940's musical starring Keegan-Michael Key, Cecily Strong, Fred Armisen, Jane Krakowski, and Alan Cumming. Yeah.....I'm all over that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

'For All Mankind' is something that I haven't watched....but I'm not sure why. Seems like it would be right up my alley. Plus....and I didn't know this until right now....but Michael Dormer from 'Patriot' is one of the leads.

For All Mankind is really, really good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Finished The Terror season 1 and mixed feelings.

+ Motherfucking Caesar and Brutus from HBO's Rome reunited was loving awesome
+ Acting, sets, filmmaking in general really great

- Way too long. This could have been an amazing ~4 hour experience
- The monster looked stupid

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Finished The Terror season 1 and mixed feelings.

+ Motherfucking Caesar and Brutus from HBO's Rome reunited was loving awesome
+ Acting, sets, filmmaking in general really great

- Way too long. This could have been an amazing ~4 hour experience
- The monster looked stupid

Yeah....the monster was not good. The rest of it was very good. Thought the length was perfect. I take it that you didn't read the book?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yeah....the monster was not good. The rest of it was very good. Thought the length was perfect. I take it that you didn't read the book?

Yeah the Terror Season 1 was all about the atmosphere of dread and humanity breaking down in the face of inevitable doom. The monster was rear end but so many good moments of people trying and failing to not lose their minds. I remember the one bad rear end seaman knowing he was about to die by poison and strapping forks to himself so the monster died if it ate him and gently caress me that was metal. That one underwater scene from the first episode is still legitimately one of the most terrifying things I have seen on tv. It SHOULD be silly or nothing but instead it freaks me the gently caress out. Just the cameras, lighting and music do so much heavy lifting and it was just a scene for a few minutes. They really went balls out o the actors and hired so many insanely talented people. The Terror and Chernobyl first episode marathon was like a perfect weekend for me once.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Completely forgot about 'Mythic Quest'. Yeah....that show rocks too. 'For All Mankind' is something that I haven't watched....but I'm not sure why. Seems like it would be right up my alley. Plus....and I didn't know this until right now....but Michael Dormer from 'Patriot' is one of the leads. I'll likely end up checking out 'Servant' too. It's another show that has gotten high marks. Not to mention that I really shouldn't doubt any shows on Apple+ right now....considering how good they've all been so far.
Yeah I should check that out and between MQ and Ted Lasso I'm not dropping my sub unless they eat baby kittens or something.

Speaking of yet recommendations: Bosch. Really enjoy this show and I can't even tell you why. It's not super artsy or anything new and unusual but I find myself really enjoying it. TVIV has made the COVID times so much less stressful with an insane amount of good reccos. Thanks goons. You guys bat 1000.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

DogsInSpace! posted:

Yeah the Terror Season 1 was all about the atmosphere of dread and humanity breaking down in the face of inevitable doom. The monster was rear end but so many good moments of people trying and failing to not lose their minds. I remember the one bad rear end seaman knowing he was about to die by poison and strapping forks to himself so the monster died if it ate him and gently caress me that was metal. That one underwater scene from the first episode is still legitimately one of the most terrifying things I have seen on tv. It SHOULD be silly or nothing but instead it freaks me the gently caress out. Just the cameras, lighting and music do so much heavy lifting and it was just a scene for a few minutes. They really went balls out o the actors and hired so many insanely talented people. The Terror and Chernobyl first episode marathon was like a perfect weekend for me once.

Yeah I should check that out and between MQ and Ted Lasso I'm not dropping my sub unless they eat baby kittens or something.

Speaking of yet recommendations: Bosch. Really enjoy this show and I can't even tell you why. It's not super artsy or anything new and unusual but I find myself really enjoying it. TVIV has made the COVID times so much less stressful with an insane amount of good reccos. Thanks goons. You guys bat 1000.

Yup. That's why it's good that the monster didn't make too many appearances. I wonder if they just felt it necessary to show a couple of times. And yeah....Jared Harris rules. Him being a lead in 'Foundation' gives me hope that it's going to be great too.

And 100% on the TVIV recs. I've watched a number of really good shows on recs from here. Shows that I knew about....but probably wouldn't have dove in on my own volition.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Finished the available eps of Mythic Quest, enjoyed it a lot--it was basically "what if Silicon Valley, except its characters had some semblance of humanity?" It also easily had the best Zoom-based quarantine thing I've seen.

Started on Evil and I'm liking it so far, although the third episode with the haunted Alexa was a bit cheesy. But overall it gives me a vibe similar to The Black Tapes Podcast, which is cool.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Argue posted:

Finished the available eps of Mythic Quest, enjoyed it a lot--it was basically "what if Silicon Valley, except its characters had some semblance of humanity?" It also easily had the best Zoom-based quarantine thing I've seen.

Started on Evil and I'm liking it so far, although the third episode with the haunted Alexa was a bit cheesy. But overall it gives me a vibe similar to The Black Tapes Podcast, which is cool.

Black Tapes was fun, I’ll check it out. If you want another podcast like BT, by the way, The Magnus Archives has just concluded and is excellent.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

finally finished Fringe. not a bad show, but probably wouldn't have watched it all if it wasn't for the Walter Bishop character.

currently half-way through the first season of The Americans and really like it so far
Nice, I'm 9 episodes in, started it the day before yesterday

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Armauk posted:

The Americans is peak television. It only gets better from here.

Glad to hear this even though I'm already loving it. I always get excited when I hear about stuff becoming even better when its already great.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Apple TV is making a big push to be a major player in the streaming service . 'The Morning Show' was good. 'Ted Lasso' was very good. 'The Shrink Next Door' looks like it could be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3-xG6yncc

First I'm hearing of this. It's based on a podcast. True story.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm so happy that Girls5Eva is getting another season.

Kinda wish it threw more jokes at you and dipped into surreality more often, but it's still a wonderful and funny show.
The actors give it their all and the music is legit amazing (and hilarious).

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Argue posted:

Finished the show last week and thought the same thing. The mind gently caress is that it aired in April, 2020 (according to Kodi anyhow, so I could be mislead), so it was written in the very early pandemic and managed to get everything right.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Nundizo posted:

Glad to hear this even though I'm already loving it. I always get excited when I hear about stuff becoming even better when its already great.

The final episode of the series -- START -- is considered to be one of the greatest TV endings of all time. You're in for a treat when you get there ;)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Finished Katla, and phew it’s got some dark scenes but I generally really liked it. I think I liked it better than Glitch. I’m sure I’d watch another season but I kind of hope they stop here. Glitch was as much about the mystery (what’s happening, who are these people), but Katla is much more about the reactions of people.

Also, from AcornTV land we’ve gone through the two available seasons of Candice Renoir. It’s a French show from the 2010’s, and it’s pretty good for a mostly light police procedural. The lead character is an expat mother of 4 returning to France and leading a crime unit. She’s pretty charismatic and there’s a lot of humor as she tries to balance life, work, relationships and proving herself in a man’s world. It’s not gritty or amazing cases, but a fun watch.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Started watching Perpetual Grace. Kind of like with 'Patriot'.....you need to slog through the first episode.....before it kind of settles in. And I can see it now. Michael Dorman was set to play the main character before 'For All Mankind' came up....at least I thought I read that somewhere. Jimmi Simpson was a good pick to replace him. They play almost the exact same characters....albeit being in different circumstances. Their candor is drat near identical.....which is one of the things that makes the main characters so interesting in these two shows. Lots of carryover actors from 'Patriot' too.

sad question
May 30, 2020

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

There's a spinoff coming starring.....Bosch
After looking up the premise this makes sense but I was pretty confused by it at first. Still waiting for Crate & Barrel spin off.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Bosch question. We watches S1 a while ago, but my recollection is when we started S2 it looked to be all about sexual violence stuff and my wife didn't want to deal with that for a whole season. Do the later seasons have a lot of that too (vs. just dudes getting murdered), and are the seasons independent enough you could skip to S3 and not be totally lost?
I don't quite remember what this was. Was it related to Bosch's mother? I think stuff like that comes up occasionally like in any crime show but most of the time it is dudes getting murdered. Last season recaps are pretty comprehensive so it shouldn't be too confusing at any rate.

sad question fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 4, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm watching through Evil right now, there is a lot of really dumb and silly writing, but I don't totally hate it. It also baffles me that in the year 2021, a show can still have a videogame focused episode where it seems nobody writing it has any idea what videogames are like.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What a garbage ending Nightflyers had. We're they banking on a second season that never materialized?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thotsky posted:

What a garbage ending Nightflyers had. We're they banking on a second season that never materialized?

Yes, but that's de rigueur for television these days. It's nearly all produced and shot months before it airs. Cliffhanger endings do better for audience retention, so they basically come standard.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 5, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm watching through Evil right now, there is a lot of really dumb and silly writing, but I don't totally hate it. It also baffles me that in the year 2021, a show can still have a videogame focused episode where it seems nobody writing it has any idea what videogames are like.

I'm further in now and there's a lot more cheesy writing than I expected the first two eps but overall I still like it. Also there's a subplot about incels and it's amazing. After the first person he recruits fails to pull off a mass shooting, the bad guy immediately googles "angry incel videos" to find a new stooge.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I love Bosch, even the first season where everyone seems to think is the weakest. Anyway, just finished the last season and felt very underwhelmed. Plot just seemed weak, and Bosch's motivations felt very forced. Pretty unsatisfying wrap up for the characters for it being the final season.

Though I guess with the show having a spinoff and Covid affecting things probably explains it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Netflix just added 2 seasons of one of my favorite game shows growing up, The Mole

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I'm further in now and there's a lot more cheesy writing than I expected the first two eps but overall I still like it. Also there's a subplot about incels and it's amazing. After the first person he recruits fails to pull off a mass shooting, the bad guy immediately googles "angry incel videos" to find a new stooge.

No spoilers but this ends in the most perfect way possible

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Netflix just added 2 seasons of one of my favorite game shows growing up, The Mole

Seriously? I loved that drat show.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Oh heck yeah. I hope that's international

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Finished Katla, and phew it’s got some dark scenes but I generally really liked it. I think I liked it better than Glitch. I’m sure I’d watch another season but I kind of hope they stop here. Glitch was as much about the mystery (what’s happening, who are these people), but Katla is much more about the reactions of people.

It's pretty grim, people barely get the time to acknowledge the miracles that happened before everything turns to poo poo. It was very well made and acted, every Icelandic series suprises me with the talent they have in that country the size of an average city. And it's not even like shows share all the same actors.

Here's Grima singing some tunes to feel a little more cheery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeYgfaOJYY

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Season one of The Mole is at the top of the reality/game show mountain. The challenges were tough bordering on brutal at times, the competitors weren't selected for their looks, it was brilliant.

Season two of I Think You Should Leave hit Netflix today and I barely got halfway through the first episode and had the hardest laugh I've had in years. Like the kind where you're not making noise. My son asked me if I was ok.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Finished We Are Lady Parts and really enjoyed it. It's only 6x30 minute episodes and it flys by. And the point of view of the show is something I really have no experience with so it's interesting seeing devout muslims that are still non traditional and do punk rock. My only complaint is that the show could use more music. They only have like 3 songs.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

CeeJee posted:

It's pretty grim, people barely get the time to acknowledge the miracles that happened before everything turns to poo poo.

I don't disagree with you but at the same time the matter of fact way it was written I found kind of refreshing and kind of consistent with the setting.

quote:

Here's Grima singing some tunes to feel a little more cheery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeYgfaOJYY

this is pretty cool.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The Comeback is great. Lisa Kudrow is so good at grimacing behind her smile

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Constellation I posted:

I love Bosch, even the first season where everyone seems to think is the weakest. Anyway, just finished the last season and felt very underwhelmed. Plot just seemed weak, and Bosch's motivations felt very forced. Pretty unsatisfying wrap up for the characters for it being the final season.

Though I guess with the show having a spinoff and Covid affecting things probably explains it.

Maddie's lack of any emotion, coupled with too much Maddie, kind of dragged it down a bunch for me as well.
Plus I really didn't care if Money/Honey was shot.
Or the drama with Maddie and her boyfriend.

Give me a series with just J Edgar, Bosch, Crate and Barrel, and I would watch it to death. Well, maybe add the PI that Honey/Money employed to investigate Bosch in the past. He was a cool dude.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've been meaning to catch up on Bosch, but I just discovered I'm actually 3 seasons behind instead of 2, and it's honestly killed my motivation

sad question
May 30, 2020

That's a good thing though! More Bosch!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

sad question posted:

That's a good thing though! More Bosch!

I like the show, but it's not really the kind of show I can binge three straight seasons of. It's a little...dry for that, I guess? I'll try to prioritize one season and see if the momentum carries me through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hasselblad posted:

Give me a series with just J Edgar, Bosch, Crate and Barrel, and I would watch it to death.

Same here. Also, I started watching Mare of Easttown last night. Three episodes in and I'm hooked.