Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I think we might quit, y'all: Farming Lemures to get a ring to beat bosses in a tower to get spells we can't eeven use just to open up another place to get one single spell just isn't fun. Plus these lemures keep wiping the person who has a thief knife before they can even attack twice.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It was a lot of fun for me and my sons until it wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

...you are aware that everything you've listed is optional right? You can just fly to the Void and finish the game.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you want to solo the Minotaur with a Monk, use the Counter strategy. Never attack; instead heal up with Hi-Potions and if necessary Elixirs, and wait for your counter-attacks to finish him. This will also prevent Minotaur from counter-attacking you, which is were most of his damage comes from.

Edit: Since you have Chemist and are presumably not running Natural, you can give your Monk !Drink and have him use a Protect and Goliath Tonic at the start to make this even easier.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 2, 2021

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Jose Valasquez posted:

Overall, this was a really fun run. Each boss was a fun puzzle.

Just want to throw out some appreciation for your certifiable insanity, this is great work!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Drunk Nerds posted:

I can't beat minotaurf without the chemist leveling up my monk. I'm at level 31 am I doing something wrong?

Give the Monk !Time, send the Chemist up solo, have the Chemist suck the Minotaur's brains out with Succubus Kiss. :shrug:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rolled zerky/monk first so I decided to try the Waddler rebalance. It really makes monk a solid utility job. Monk either spell-fisted or did drugs through most of the game until I got chicken knife+rapid fire. Gave white! to zerky and 2H rune axe was 9999s on all the rift nerds. Monk was still relegated to a beefy mixer on Ned but that's what happens when you roll chemist. I did not bother with the lamp so it was probably harder than I had to make it. Mostly just throwing around res potions and dragon defenses while zerky and ranger did their thing.

Final verdict on Waddler Monk: solid B-tier job you would be happy to have along. Doesn't carry by itself but can force-multiply your team into unstoppable. Will obliterate the W1 roadblock bosses though so that's nice.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

(I was a bozo and forgot which button did screenshots when I killed Shinryu.)

First run completed ever, triple crown. Chemist really did make the game silly, though I feel like I only really started using it as anything other than a not-WHM at the end.

Also adding:

Red Metal posted:

You ever notice how some summons drop items that you have to use before you can summon them? I don't know why that is, but that doesn't mean I can't make a :toxx: out of it!
I pledge $3 for every summon item (Ramuh, Catoblepas, Golem) in your inventory at the end of the game, and an additional $5 per run if you have a Summoner in your party (max $150)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

What a hell of a writeup, that owns. I'm glad my dumb little spreadsheet helped. :shobon:

Does Goblin flare actually one shot Magissa? I feel really stupid for not suggesting that if so. You'd have to pocket one through Ship Graveyard but that's not the worst thing...

Yep

e: Oh yeah didn't even notice but guess that's another Poisoned Lenna.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I think we might quit, y'all: Farming Lemures to get a ring to beat bosses in a tower to get spells we can't eeven use just to open up another place to get one single spell just isn't fun. Plus these lemures keep wiping the person who has a thief knife before they can even attack twice.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It was a lot of fun for me and my sons until it wasn't

If you can just get one Reflect Ring, you should be able to solo Omniscient with just one character with Reflect. Omniscient cannot bypass Reflect, so you just use your Time Mage or whoever to cast Comet until Omniscient starts casting -aga spells (which will bounce onto him) and at that point you've won and can just kick back and wait.

Or skip it, you have Chemist and Monk, just have everyone punch NED to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPKj7NKrwk

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 2, 2021

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

What a hell of a writeup, that owns. I'm glad my dumb little spreadsheet helped. :shobon:

Does Goblin flare actually one shot Magissa? I feel really stupid for not suggesting that if so. You'd have to pocket one through Ship Graveyard but that's not the worst thing...

A Goblin Flare does ~1000 damage, so about the same as (or a little stronger than) a 750 rod snap.

e:f;b dang it mega

Anyway, that should be a consistent number, only affected (very minorly, because it's Flare) by the target's MDef and the usual RNG Variance.

TheWonderTrickster
Aug 16, 2013
Another mid fiesta :toxx: incoming:

"Man it'd be funny seeing people throw away money ineffectually, especially if they have to put in effort into doing the worst possible ideas"

$1.00 for every screenshot a boss taking 150 damage from !Zeninage (the minimum damage above zero), max of $30.

As a reminder of how damage is calculated via throwing money-

quote:

ATTACK TYPE (HEX: 46) (GilToss)
1) Use GilToss Damage Parameters:
Attack = Level + 10
M = 150
Defense = Defense
2) Damage = (Attack - Defense) * M. Max Damage = 9999.
3) Gil cost = 50 * Level * (# of targets attacked)

TooMuchCornstarch
Dec 11, 2012
Too much is never enough.
Is there a mod that gives Lenna permanent poison status?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's probably a cheat code for it. Likely similar to the one people used to kill off Faris/Galuf/Lenna for solo challenges, just change a bit to make it poison instead of death

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

TooMuchCornstarch posted:

Is there a mod that gives Lenna permanent poison status?

If you're using a modern emulator, you can set the memory value and freeze it, either directly or using a cheat code.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

oldskool posted:

...you are aware that everything you've listed is optional right? You can just fly to the Void and finish the game.

Yeah we'll give that the old college try before we stop, since it's for charity. But playing with two 8-year-olds who don't understand the whole 16-bit "think outside the box" allure is really draining.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I thought you could Berserk/Blind Omniscient with Chemist (Turtle Shell+Holy Water, Dragon Fang + Eye Drops)? If you got Mini'd somehow that's like 99% dodge and then you could also use the Mirage Vest glitch (switching weapons to the other hand redoes the status effect) along with Hermes Sandals or Elven Mantle (then you'd use !Mixes for damage since your physical would be garbage). Also, if you desperately want a Reflect Ring you could do something similar in Phoenix Tower, Berserk would be easier to deal with than counters especially if you have Hermes Sandals (it's unfortunate Toad uses a Dark Matter). I'd take awhile but either steal from Lemure on the first 4 floors or hope for a drop from Parthenope on the next 4.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah we'll give that the old college try before we stop, since it's for charity. But playing with two 8-year-olds who don't understand the whole 16-bit "think outside the box" allure is really draining.

Showing off how one can trounce most bosses from left field to impress my 9yo is part of the charm.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doom Goon posted:

I thought you could Berserk/Blind Omniscient with Chemist (Turtle Shell+Holy Water, Dragon Fang + Eye Drops)? If you got Mini'd somehow that's like 99% dodge and then you could also use the Mirage Vest glitch (switching weapons to the other hand redoes the status effect) along with Hermes Sandals or Elven Mantle (then you'd use !Mixes for damage since your physical would be garbage). Also, if you desperately want a Reflect Ring you could do something similar in Phoenix Tower, Berserk would be easier to deal with than counters especially if you have Hermes Sandals (it's unfortunate Toad uses a Dark Matter). I'd take awhile but either steal from Lemure on the first 4 floors or hope for a drop from Parthenope on the next 4.

Berserk yes, blind no. Rugwizard's eyes are too powerful to be ruined by your petty dragon spit. ...at least, assuming it's the SNES/PSX/GBA version. In the Matrix version, Berserk doesn't stop counters so he still resets the battle.

There's a mix that gives you image, too, but unfortunately it also berserks you so maybe don't use that on yourself against the swole muscle wizard.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

Showing off how one can trounce most bosses from left field to impress my 9yo is part of the charm.

Yeah, I think I've hit my limit: Farmed phoenix tower to finally get a reflect ring. Omniscience heals almost as much as the damage being done even with me spamming comet. Apparently Drain isn't blocked by reflect ring so I managed to die.

This is just too frustrating and I've got some seriously messed-up stuff going on in my real life. I need my gametime with my kids to feel good.

Thanks for the advice and good words, y'all. We'll see you next year.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Berserk yes, blind no. Rugwizard's eyes are too powerful to be ruined by your petty dragon spit. ...at least, assuming it's the SNES/PSX/GBA version. In the Matrix version, Berserk doesn't stop counters so he still resets the battle.

There's a mix that gives you image, too, but unfortunately it also berserks you so maybe don't use that on yourself against the swole muscle wizard.

Algorithm Guide posted:

STATUS IMMUNITY: Dead, Stone, Toad, Mini, Poison, Sleep, Charm

Not saying you're definitely wrong since I've never tried it myself, but there's an error in the algorithm guide if so.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, I think I've hit my limit: Farmed phoenix tower to finally get a reflect ring. Omniscience heals almost as much as the damage being done even with me spamming comet. Apparently Drain isn't blocked by reflect ring so I managed to die.

This is just too frustrating and I've got some seriously messed-up stuff going on in my real life. I need my gametime with my kids to feel good.

Probably a long shot, but did you happen to pick up the bone mail back in world 2? It makes drain hurt omniscient and heal you. Time mage can't equip it though, so you'd have to send someone else up that side of the tower.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Probably a long shot, but did you happen to pick up the bone mail back in world 2? It makes drain hurt omniscient and heal you. Time mage can't equip it though, so you'd have to send someone else up that side of the tower.

Dragonvale still exists in W3, can you go back and get the bone mail later?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Not saying you're definitely wrong since I've never tried it myself, but there's an error in the algorithm guide if so.

I am probably definitely wrong.

I've honestly never tried it and no guide suggests to try it (EDIT: Except Enkibot, apparently), assumedly because the only jobs that have access to berserk and blind are blue mage, chemist, and freelancer, all of whom trivialize rugwizard without trying anyway.

EDIT2:

DalaranJ posted:

Dragonvale still exists in W3, can you go back and get the bone mail later?

Should be able to. The map is unchanged from its W2 self, so it stands to reason that all the items would be in the same locations. Same applies for the Steamship when it's in Catapult, either in W1 or W3.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 3, 2021

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Drunk Nerds posted:

other option, if you have save states, do most of it without them and just save state near the end of a successful run

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Finally finished my run with a triple crown. While beast master was more useful than i previously thought, i find the limit of one big damage move per fight very limiting.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
It's always kinda annoyed me that you can't see your full HP/MP stats in this game, especially if you have the ATB bar up, so I hacked something together: a script that reads the party info from the game memory and feeds it into a stream overlay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0JY3mFVleo

Now that that's done, I can finally get started with my first ever Four Job Fiesta run.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just done getting dragon grass in world 2. Where can I buy fire rings? I saw them in world 1 but didn't have the cash for them. Going to use them for black mage healing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

redreader posted:

I'm just done getting dragon grass in world 2. Where can I buy fire rings? I saw them in world 1 but didn't have the cash for them. Going to use them for black mage healing.
world 3. You can also steal them from red dragons.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
3rd run completed.

No750 and 5th job. Really glad Dragoon got jettisoned for Samurai. Very overpowered combo of Mystic Knight and Ranger made for an easy triple crown. Samurai brought the Zeninage to make mobs in the final area easy as well as NED. Knight was handy early on but fell off pretty hard. Excalibur and then Ragnarok in the end game helped bring them back up to speed. I over-leveled a bit for NED to make getting past Almagest easier. Break Blades made leveling really easy though off of Iron Giants.

I'll probably do one more run with the Matrix release and then wait until the pixel remaster comes out to do anymore runs this summer.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

2nd run complete, and the four elemental fiends have been slain. Samurai, Ninja, Thief, and Mystic Knight is a hell of a team.

Rosalie_A posted:

Alright thread. It's time to talk about overpowered abilities. You know the ones. They can make or break a run. You get three Thieves and despair and then roll a Samurai and go "lol guess I'm throwing money at everything".

But what if you didn't? There's jobs that have so much to offer that have stuff that never gets appreciated. Maybe it's time to take a new look at some of them, and cast your mind back to when you were young and didn't know about the internet letting you know what was really good or not.

Thus, here's my :toxx:: $1, up to $20, for any instance of the following, with a comment (your choice as to the length) on how you thought it changed the game:

-Samurai without using !Zeninage.
-Chemist without using !Mix.
-Ranger without using !Rapid Fire (the menu command. Hayate Bow is fine).
-Red Mage without using !Dualcast.
-A write-in of your choice where a defining or powerful ability for the job is left unused. I just mention those four above because you're not defaulting to a bad Freelancer if you hold back. I'll accept any good faith effort on this, in case you want to do a Bard without !Sing or something for whatever reason.

These do add up, if you wanted to do multiple in one run, but if you don't want to give up !Dualcast on your one Red Mage in a sea of money-hoarding Samurai I won't judge (but those three Samurai would each count).

Anyway, the intent here is to just appreciate other abilities on offer, with a slight incentive to do so. Having done all of those myself, I think you'll be surprised as what you find when you take the power off the table (hint: Chemist? Still busted).

Went through without touching Zeninage at all. With this loadout it wasn't really necessary, and most of the times I was in a situation where I needed to clear out all the enemies asap, Iainuki or throwing scrolls were sufficient (which was good since I was doing the throw the Brave Blade toxx and didn't run from any encounter despite having access to both !Smoke and !Flee). For the most part, Mystic Knight and Samurai had Dual-Wield the entire time, Ninja swapped between Iainuki for random encounters, Spellblade when weaknesses could be exploited (and end game once Flare was obtained), and Shirahadori when there was nothing better to use, and Thief also swapped between Iainuki for random encounters and Shirahadori mostly for the extra evasion as she served primarily as an item bot (though she did have Spellblade once in awhile for Break shenanigans). I also remember throwing Image on a couple of them for a boss at one point but I don't remember which anymore.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

10 bucks per new player who clears NED. Limit $250 (they don't need to be in the original 50, just someone who has a clear player page but a star on their 2021 run.)

e: Not limiting this to SA, so if you know anyone who just does twitter or whatever I'll honor them there as well. https://twitter.com/feyerbrandx/status/1399183494874648582

Eh, just paying off the 250 now since AGDQ has begun.

e:

Koobes posted:

:toxx:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 4, 2021

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Run #1: White Mage/Berserker/Summoner/Chemist

Pretty obviously a triple crown, but Omega was harder with chemist than I remember. Probably bc it was only three mixers rather than four, but still mostly a non-issue. Job faired from something to Summoner since I wasn’t sure if I would end up doing another run and Summoner’s my favorite class.

Next one also has chemist and Summoner so lol

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

Also had masamune but I misstimed taking the picture

Funktastic fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 4, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

It's :toxx: time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

e: No balance patches or randomizers, please. The point of this is to have the vanilla experience.

Just a quick reminder that this is still mostly open. Berserker, Freelancer and Necromancer have all been done, but everything else is still up for grabs.

I'll mention this once more in a month or so if anyone's looking for a last minute challenge.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

Just a quick reminder that this is still mostly open. Berserker, Freelancer and Necromancer have all been done, but everything else is still up for grabs.

I’m chugging away on Mystic Knight (just a little distracted by Disco Elysium)!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
With my status reader window running, I've kicked off my very first Four Job Fiesta...only to get White Mage as my first job, and Berserker as my second job.

Well, now I've cleared the Fire Crystal, so I just have to deal with it a little longer until my third job (Ranger) becomes available.

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

it's a good thing I was recording this because I forgot to screenshot it when it actually happened

here's the results of the one and only time so far that anyone in my party has been poisoned in the entire game

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

I dunno what it is about June/July but something nuts happens to me and I have to go deal with that and I never finish ffv, people have died, I stuck a used needle in my hand at work, Quarantine ended prematurely, mad poo poo.

I was fighting NED today and took a break to eat luncha nd opened my jaw too wide while abotu to bite into a sandwich and my jaw popped out of place and it put me into shock and I nearly passed out/threw up and my wife had to help me up off the floor but you know what? I KILLED THAT loving TREE WHEN I GOT BETTER

Still a bit woozy and in pain but you know... I did it at least!

Koobes posted:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:allears: I love this one in particular

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Drunk Nerds posted:

I don't know if I'm too late for this advice to be useful, but here's what I did with my one Time Mage and without a Reflect Ring. Before the fight, I got into a fight and attacked with the Wonder Wand until I had queued up the -aga spells and I equipped the Hermes Sandals. I also prepared the Magic Lamp so that it summoned Carbuncle. I got into the fight and started spamming Comet while keeping track of Omniscient's HP. As soon as its HP hit 13000, I used the Magic Lamp to summon Carbuncle and spammed the Wonder Wand to cast the -aga spells and Flare. I managed to kill it before the Reflect from Carbuncle ran out.

That said, if you're frustrated it's fine to bow out. Take care of yourself and your family.

Okay, I need some advice: my party is Knight, Ranger, Time Mage and Dragoon. Can I kill Omega and Shinryu? If so, how?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MachuPikacchu posted:

Okay, I need some advice: my party is Knight, Ranger, Time Mage and Dragoon. Can I kill Omega and Shinryu? If so, how?
Quickleaking?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

What's that?

doos
Jan 1, 2015

MachuPikacchu posted:

What's that?

-Have your Time Mage cast Quick
-On your first move, break a Venom Rod (if you're fighting Omega, reflect it off a teammate)
-Wait a few hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MachuPikacchu posted:

What's that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x7zRK-Fsv8