Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I know lol Movistar but I don't think it's a mystery as to why they chased down a GC rival when nobody else had the numbers to do so.

It's not as if forcing Majka to pace the group in 30 seconds behind Carapaz is some kind of tactical coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
5km climb to start the stage tomorrow. They could rip UAE to bits from the get go. Horrible stage to control.

Sunday is even worse too.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

5km climb to start the stage tomorrow. They could rip UAE to bits from the get go. Horrible stage to control.

Sunday is even worse too.

It's so good for the race that the best rider doesn't have the best team. Even EF has a team capable of shredding UAE.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Has Pog really been set back from having no teammates? That was a lot of the 2nd half last year's Tour, no?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kimbo305 posted:

Has Pog really been set back from having no teammates? That was a lot of the 2nd half last year's Tour, no?

He won last year solo but jumbo dilligently towed him up every climb which won't happen this year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kimbo305 posted:

Pog had Jumbo to control everything be default since he just sat on Roglics wheel for last years tour. Thats a lot different to now but being entirely serious, we'll see how things shake out on Sunday. If Ineos or Movistar just get on the front and try and crush things Pogacar gets a free ride and then only has to follow whoever wants to attack 3km from the top like always, and imo he will be able to do that. If however they start attacking him from the start and people go up the road to the point he has to chase people down and set the pace on the front himself in the valleys I think he'll crack.

Basically if we see MvDP and Van Aert sat on the front on the start line Pog is gonna poo poo it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Pog wasn't considered a top threat last year all the way to the last TT then whoops now he's won. I know pro cycling teams are notorious for not learning lessons but I'm pretty sure people are going to actively try to gently caress him over this year.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Also the only people other than pog who have looked consistently good are MvDP who can't climb and then I guess maybe Uran and Lutsenko. I think people know there's the potential for huge swings in times when there's early climbs and everyone is abit sus.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Watts are Watts and MvDP has nearly 4 minutes to play with and is a lunatic with nothing to lose.

It looks like Wout is Jumbos GC guy now too.

Like I said, it will be very interesting what happens this weekend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If I were UAE I might actually try to let a relatively non-threatening group go up the road and take the GC lead by giving them 20 minutes or so. I think they'd really rather not be holding yellow right now

Then again they might be better than today made them look - that was a horrendous group that got away.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really consider VDP a serious climber here. He was getting unhitched at anything over a classics climb at T-A.

WVA is more likely to do an Alaphillipe 2019- he finished like 20th last year while doing enormous amounts of work and also trying to win sprint and rolling stages, and he would have been practicing for mountain domestique duty for Roglic.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Watts are Watts and MvDP has nearly 4 minutes to play with and is a lunatic with nothing to lose.

It looks like Wout is Jumbos GC guy now too.

Like I said, it will be very interesting what happens this weekend.

Watts are watts and Kg are Kg. I don't see a 175lb guy hanging with the climbers unless they are indurain level doped.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Pogacar ended the day in better position to win than when it started. Roglic is now out of the picture, while Nibali won't be able to hold a 3min lead. Unless we really want to believe WVA can stick with Pogacar in the mountains, this seems like a done deal...

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Withnail posted:

Watts are watts and Kg are Kg. I don't see a 175lb guy hanging with the climbers unless they are indurain level doped.

Guess what

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I had to see this and now you do too

https://twitter.com/INEOSGrenadiers/status/1411245130829414402

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Withnail posted:

Kg are Kg. I don't see a 175lb ...

:argh:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
This tour is too emotional already, I keep getting all choked up every stage.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

The first one looks like he’s falling, so it has to be G.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thunderstorms forecast for the finish today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Monster start again. Huge break trying to get away.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rip all the sprinters

E - and froome

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Getting dropped in the first km must really suck

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
UAE already dying.

Lmao just retire Froome.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
RIP Froome

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cav's closest rivals are getting dropped in the first km.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are Ineos going to attack on this climb? Can't see why they'd pull Hart back otherwise.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

i think they're going to have to revise the timecut, it's going to be one of those dose where a third don't make it.

Free Tao!!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Looks a bit wet, and murdery

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think this is going to calm down imo. I can't see this being a balls out stage like yesterday given the people that have tried to go up the road so far.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Hopefully the descents won’t be too dangerous today due to the rain

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thomas out the back and having to make time up on a wet descent? Get the helicopter ready.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

For a team that are supposed to be absolutely ruthless ineos are still clinging on to thomas as leader

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Woods just ended up in someones breakfast.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
G is hosed. lol.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

It’s time to give up on G, Ineos

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like that even his rain jacket has rainbows.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Sagan in the second group with Cavendish.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hirschi and Majka are in the 2nd group. UAE have like 3 guys left for Pog already.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I suppose Ineos isn't really riding for G anymore, since he has only Luke Rowe with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Van Aert has attacked.