Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Everyone is John

Everyone is John is a humorous, competitive roleplaying game about playing the various personalities of
John, an insane man from Minneapolis. One participant is the GM, or, in Everyone is John lingo, "Everyone
Else." All of the other players are Voices in John's head.
Everyone is John uses six-sided dice (you really only need one, but it might be easiest if every participant
carries one) for play.

Voices

Voices are the Player Characters of Everyone is John. They are defined by a simple character sheet:

Willpower

Willpower is a pool of points that the Voice can spend to take control of John or improve its chance of
success in any given action. Willpower will go down and up a lot in the game, so it might be easier to
represent it with tokens rather than numbers on a page. Willpower starts off at 10 for most Voices.

Skills

Each Voice has two or three skills. This is a freeform game, so just write down a short description of the
skill, like "Drives well," or "Good at persuading people." Most Voices have two skills, but you can have
three if you start at 7 Willpower instead of 10.

Obsession

This is kind of like a winning condition: if you complete your obsession more than other Voices
complete their obsession, you win. Obsessions come in three grades: Level 1 (pretty easy to
accomplish, like "Pigging out on candy"), Level 2 (more difficult or risky, like, "dressing up in women's
clothing and hitting on strangers,"), and Level 3 (nearly impossible to accomplish, like, "Blowing up
buildings"). The harder obsessions count more than the easier ones.
If you're going to seriously compete with the other Voices, you probably should keep your sheet a secret.

John

John is a totally insane man in Minneapolis. He is controlled by the Voices in his head -- one at a time, of
course.

John is not terribly competent; he has difficulty with a lot of things that you and I might take for granted.
Whenever John attempts anything that an ordinary person might have any chance of failure at, he needs to roll
for success.

The Voice who is currently in control of John does the rolling. If that Voice has a skill that covers the
challenge, the Voice needs to roll a 3 or higher on the single d6. If it doesn't have a skill, it needs to roll a 6.

However, before the roll, the Voice can spend any number of Willpower points to get a +1 per point spent on
the die roll. This can make success automatic.

Becoming the active Voice is a bit of a challenge, though. Whenever John wakes up or gets hurt, a test for
control of John happens. Also, whenever the currently active Voice fails a roll or completes its obsession, a
test for control of John happens.

When a test for control of John occurs, all of the Voices who are interested simultaneously bid one or more Willpower points (if you're using tokens for Willpower, it's easiest for everyone to just hold out the tokens in their closed hands, and then, when everyone's ready, reveal the number of tokens). Voices don't have to bid if they don't want to (and you can hold out zero tokens if you want to fake out the other Voices). The highest number of Willpower becomes the active Voice. If multiple people bid the same highest amount, then they roll off to see who becomes active.

The Voice who becomes active loses the amount of Willpower it bids. All others keep their bids. It's perfectly acceptible for the previously active Voice to win a bid and remain active.
Whenever John wakes up, the struggle for control of John happens before the GM describes the situation John
wakes up into.

John is pretty easily distracted. Whenever nothing exciting is happening for ten minutes or more (such as on a bus ride or the like), the GM should roll a die. On a roll of 4 or higher, John goes to sleep and wakes up whenever (prompting a struggle for control of John). When John naps like this, all of the Voices gain one Willpower.

Playing

Play begins with John waking up in the morning (and a test for control of him). The GM then describes the
circumstances into which he wakes up. With John, you never can tell. He could be in a gutter somewhere, or
he could be in a palatial estate, or anywhere in between. The Voices really have no idea how they ended up
here.

At this point, the Voices should start working on fulfilling their obsessions and avoiding getting John killed.

Inevitably, their Willpowers will decrease. Once all of the Voices are out of Willpower, John sinks back into
sleep, and the game session is over.

At this point, the Voices reveal their obsessions and count up how many times each was filled. Note that it
counts for you if someone else is Active and fulfills your obsession.

Now, multiply the number of times you fulfilled your obsession by your obsession's rank (1, 2, or 3). That's
the number of points you have. Highest number of points wins the game, and, generally speaking, is the GM
of the next game of Everyone is John.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yes hello, I’m John

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Retro Futurist posted:

Yes hello, I’m John

So are, hopefully, two to five more people!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I wanne be john!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Are we supposed to make a character sheet of some kind or are we assigned stuff?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Retro Futurist posted:

Are we supposed to make a character sheet of some kind or are we assigned stuff?

Each player is a Voice, and the rules outline what that entails:

quote:

Voices

Voices are the Player Characters of Everyone is John. They are defined by a simple character sheet:

Willpower

Willpower is a pool of points that the Voice can spend to take control of John or improve its chance of
success in any given action. Willpower will go down and up a lot in the game, so it might be easier to
represent it with tokens rather than numbers on a page. Willpower starts off at 10 for most Voices.

Skills

Each Voice has two or three skills. This is a freeform game, so just write down a short description of the
skill, like "Drives well," or "Good at persuading people." Most Voices have two skills, but you can have
three if you start at 7 Willpower instead of 10.

Obsession

This is kind of like a winning condition: if you complete your obsession more than other Voices
complete their obsession, you win. Obsessions come in three grades: Level 1 (pretty easy to
accomplish, like "Pigging out on candy"), Level 2 (more difficult or risky, like, "dressing up in women's
clothing and hitting on strangers,"), and Level 3 (nearly impossible to accomplish, like, "Blowing up
buildings"). The harder obsessions count more than the easier ones.
If you're going to seriously compete with the other Voices, you probably should keep your sheet a secret.

For this game, we'll stick with 10 willpower, 3 skills and one obsession.

Skills will be secret until their first used. For obsessions, each player will DM theirs but keep it a secret from everyone else. A fun thing is for you to figure out what other players' obsessions are so you can try and thwart it. When picking an obsession, it's good to find ones that have multiple routes of completion, such as "stealing candy from a baby" or "blowing up an empty building."

The game will include dice rolls, so we'll need a way to record dices. We'll use Orokos. Unless, of course, there is a way to roll dice through BBCode here. I didn't see anything last night.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Right that's what I was wondering, we pick the skills and obsessions and pm them to you then?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

PM me your obsession. Keep your skills secret until you use them. That'll come out during game play.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh ok so we can bust them out on the fly, sweet

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm down for this. Any interest in a discord server to discuss stuff?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Fuzz posted:

I prefer to keep all conversations here. I'm not a fan of Discord.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wait, only one obsession?

Oh, and I don’t have PMs

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

e X posted:

How many goals should we have?
One obsession, which you try to do multiple times.

quote:

Oh, and I don’t have PMs
Is that a premium account perk?

Armauk fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 25, 2021

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dark Mage posted:

Is that a premium account perk?

I'm afraid yes.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

e X posted:

I'm afraid yes.
No problem. You can email your obsession.

Armauk fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 25, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Your email got deleted in guerilla mail before I could open it, e X. Could you send it again to: burzarmauk@protonmail.com

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I've got e X's obsession.

Fuzz posted:

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh ok so we can bust them out on the fly, sweet

Fuzz and Retro Futurist, would you mind sending me your obsessions via PM or email (address is mentioned earlier)? Once I have that, we can get started.

Don't forget to sign up for an account on Orokos so we can handle dice rolls.

Once that's done, we'll get started!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I've never played a live game in the forums like that, but if you all are up to deal with a rookie, I can get into this, too.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Shellception posted:

I've never played a live game in the forums like that, but if you all are up to deal with a rookie, I can get into this, too.

Yeah, the game will move as fast as we can post, but I'll do my best to move things along. If you're down to play, please take a minute to read the rules. Then, make an account on Orokos and send me a PM with your obsession.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Registered on Orokos: my username is the same as in here.

Edit: meant to PM this, wtf Awful App??

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If we’re waiting on me I’m Opopanax over there

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am also ready to go

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Great! So we have: e X, Shellception, and Retro Futurist

You three have 10 willpower points. These are used to bid for control of John and to give you an advantage on rolls when you need it, particularly for situations that require skills outside your wheelhouse.

Each time John gets hurt, travels for a long time, goes to sleep, blacks out or gets knocked out, then power for John is relinquished, and everyone's Willpower is reset to 10, then the bidding for John begins.

When bidding, PM how much Willpower you're willing to bet, and I'll post results as soon as all three are in.

Before we begin, I will say this is my first time running EIJ in PbP format. I've played this AFK, and the game is a lot faster. On a forum, this will take a little time, so I hope you're strapped in. I'll do my best to monitor this thread and post as often as possible.

With that being said... let's begin.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

9:32 A.M.

ON A BENCH

TIMES SQUARE

NEW YORK CITY

A passing ambulance blares its siren, and the sharp sound snaps John awake. He's on a bench, in a loose-fitting, short-sleeved, white collar shirt with a red tie. His black pants and shoes are a little wet from light rain. His hair is disheveled, and he hasn't shaved in days. Symptoms for an incoming migraine begin to take hold.

He can't remember how he got to the bench. He looks around and immediately recognizes the bright lights and big advertisement screens of Time Square and begins to feel anxious. The crowd of tourists around him, however, pay him no mind.

He moves his leg and feels an object. It looks down, and its his suitcase.

"Hey, man," says a voice next to him.

John turns and sees a man in an Elmo suit and Elmo's head propped next to him. He seems to be on break.

"You look all hosed up."

quote:

Let's get this going. Everyone who would like to bid for control of John, please PM your number.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Willpower bidding:

e X: 5
Retro Futurist: 3
Shellception: 0

e X: You are now John. You have 5 Willpower remaining, out of 10. What will you do now?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
"I know that" John nodded.

"And I know that sound weird, but I need you to hand any drugs you have on your person over to me, and put them in the head!" John says, while pointing obviously on Elmo's empty head lying, before him on the bench.

"For national security!"

So, I am trying to convince him to do that, and I think I can use one of my skills for that, bit I'll wait till you confirm that. before I roll. But I would spent one Willpower to bump up the DC

GM: If I get understand the rules correctly, I should role my "Charm of a used car salesman" and get a 3+, and since I spent willpower, it should be a 4+

e X fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 30, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

quote:

So, I am trying to convince him to do that, and I think I can use one of my skills for that, bit I'll wait till you confirm that. before I roll. But I would spent one Willpower to bump up the DC

Roll 1d6 and add 1, for the Willpower you're spending, to the result.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Armauk posted:

Roll 1d6 and add 1, for the Willpower you're spending, to the result.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The man in the Elmo costume looks at John suspiciously.

"Well, poo poo, man. I don't have anything hard on me, but if you're looking to score. I know a guy."

He takes out a flip phone and keys in a number for a text message.

"What are you looking for?"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Armauk posted:

The man in the Elmo costume looks at John suspiciously.

"Well, poo poo, man. I don't have anything hard on me, but if you're looking to score. I know a guy."

He takes out a flip phone and keys in a number for a text message.

"What are you looking for?"

"I am down for anything, just get me the strongest poo poo they carry"

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Elmo actor looks at you strangely.

"Look, man. I need you to be a little more specific. I can't just call up my plug and not tell him exactly what I need. He's a busy man, and usually doesn't walk around New York with his entire stash on him."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Armauk posted:

The Elmo actor looks at you strangely.

"Look, man. I need you to be a little more specific. I can't just call up my plug and not tell him exactly what I need. He's a busy man, and usually doesn't walk around New York with his entire stash on him."

„Meth“

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The man nods and punches in a text into his phone. He closes the lid and points west.

"Head down 41st and go afress the street from Wolfgang. My associate will meet you there. Sound good?"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Armauk posted:

"Head down 41st and go afress the street from Wolfgang. My associate will meet you there. Sound good?"

„Thank you my man“, he say and begins to walk down the direction Elmo told him.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

You get up with your briefcase and head down the street to where Mr. Elmo tells you to meet his associate. You notice your shoes are soaked -- you can't remember why -- and they squeak with every step. Navigate through the crowded sidewalks. Some pedestrians give you a look, but many leave you alone.

After a few minutes, you approach the alley across the steakhouse. You see a guy wearing a long, dark coat, leaning against a wall near the alley entrance. He's smoking cigarette. He looks up and motions you to get closer. You approach him.

"You Nick's guy? You looking for Crystal?".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Armauk posted:

"You Nick's guy? You looking for Crystal?".

"Yes, but I also take everything else you have!"

e X fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 9, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The man chuckles. "Who the gently caress do you think you are? Are you serious?"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Armauk posted:

The man chuckles. "Who the gently caress do you think you are? Are you serious?"

"I am a man with needs, that is all you need to know or care about"!

"Just gimme a second, I got to take care of some business inside the steakhouse first"

John is going to search the alley for a stick or a short piece of metal.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

e X posted:

"I am a man with needs, that is all you need to know or care about"!

"Just gimme a second, I got to take care of some business inside the steakhouse first"

John is going to search the alley for a stick or a short piece of metal.

Can you roll 1d6 to this search?

e: The last few days have been hectic with work and other obligations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I'm going to spend another 2 Willpower on that role, and it is a 4

Willpower: 2